• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice for day 1

GerFol

Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018. Camino Frances
2014. Camino Portaguese
2016. Camino Primitivo
Good morning forum members,
I arrive in SJPP later this week around mid-day. I don't have any long flights or jet- lag to get over. I was thinking of starting to walk on arrival and that would mean getting into Ronscesvalles at approx 8.00 in the evening. Is this possible? Would there still be accomodation available in the albergue at Ronscesvalles arriving that late? Any downside that I'm not seeing?
Regards,
Gerard.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Would there still be accomodation available in the albergue at Ronscesvalles arriving that late?
It is very likely there will be. It is not crowded yet. Darkness and rain could be a problem. If you just want to get going to stretch your legs, Hounto or Valcarlos would be pretty easy for a first leg. Hounto is quite a short day, but you cover a fair amount of the ascent. Orisson is further up, but seems to fill with reservations. Orisson does have additional beds a bit down the hill at Kayola.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Gerald,

Two things: 1) check with the pilgrim office to see the state of the Napolean route before starting out. If they say its closed, follow their advice; 2) even if it is open, a friend just went over it and her photos showed lots of snow on the path. That makes for slow walking, and you would be cutting it close for ending in the dark anyways. The path down to Roncevalles is not one to do in the dark. The Camino is very long. No need to rush Day 1 and either hurt yourself hurrying or arrive exhausted and hungry. Bad beginnings can be hard to psychologically overcome.

I agree with Mark Lee--Orisson of ValCarlos is more than enough. We also got into SJPP about noon, hurried to the pilgrim office before it closed for lunch (barely made it), had our own lunch, walked around the town and to the top of the ramparts, and then walked to Orisson. A lovely beginning.

Ultreia,
Jo Jo

Gerald,

Two things: 1) check with the pilgrim office to see the state of the Napolean route before starting out. If they say its closed, follow their advice; 2) even if it is open, a friend just went over it and her photos showed lots of snow on the path. That makes for slow walking, and you would be cutting it close for ending in the dark anyways.

The weaather is likely to be unpredictable, and well-crafted plans may stumble if routes are not open. SJPdP is worth a bit of a look round, so usually the advice is to rest up and prepare and start in good time the next day.

Buen Camino!

Its doable but not advisable, if you are really confident in your walking ability, know that you will be able to do it with out suffering from tiredness too much, you will be walking against the clock, don't mind arriving to find maybe the albergue full but also the eating options fully booked out, even then I still wouldn't recommend it. Have a good look around SJPDP, use the next day to enjoy perhaps the most beautiful section of the Camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think that crossing a mountain pass (this is what walkers do in the stage SJPP-Roncesvalles) by night is a no-no, unless you know the path well or are an expert trekker. There are roots, loose stones, slippery sections, signposts are not easily visible, and the weather can turn from "quite good" to "awful" very quickly.
Buen (and safe) Camino!

The last time I was in SJPdP, the pilgrim office was closed at lunch time for and hour or so. If you arrive at noon you will not be able to get a credential until Roncevalles and you will not be able to get a report on the conditions in the mountains. Everyone is right about walking in the dark down the hill to Roncesvalles, it is slippery even when it hasn't rained and it is a very dark gloomy forest, not a great place to be after sunset. On Saturday 18/5 we were having a lovely spring day with temperatures in the 20's and then suddenly out of nowhere a storm blew in off the Atlantic around 14:30 dropping about 20cm of sleet and snow on us and turning a spring day into a winter nightmare with winds approaching tornado velocity, this is the season of changes.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The last time I was in SJPdP, the pilgrim office was closed at lunch time for and hour or so. If you arrive at noon you will not be able to get a credential until Roncevalles and you will not be able to get a report on the conditions in the mountains. Everyone is right about walking in the dark down the hill to Roncesvalles, it is slippery even when it hasn't rained and it is a very dark gloomy forest, not a great place to be after sunset. On Saturday 18/5 we were having a lovely spring day with temperatures in the 20's and then suddenly out of nowhere a storm blew in off the Atlantic around 14:30 dropping about 20cm of sleet and snow on us and turning a spring day into a winter nightmare with winds approaching tornado velocity, this is the season of changes.
Thanks for all the advice, I arrive in SJPdP in morning of 15th May,and have just decided to book at Orisson, thru their website. I haven't yet received a confirmation, so if they are full, I will take Valcarlos route. I've heard the albergue at Roncesvalles is huge, does that mean a fwd booking is not necessary? And should one book ahead for a meal at Roncesvalles?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You are right, if you plan to stay at the albergue there should be no bed problem this time of year, I don't even know if you can reserve there. My best advice about booking for dinner is to go to the Hostal La Posada, where most people have dinner and book a spot. You have two seating choices as far as serving times and you will share your meal with a table of 8 to 10 other pilgrims, it's a lot of fun. There are a couple of other dining options in Roncevalles as well as the vending machines in the albergue.

You are right, if you plan to stay at the albergue there should be no bed problem this time of year, I don't even know if you can reserve there. My best advice about booking for dinner is to go to the Hostal La Posada, where most people have dinner and book a spot. You have two seating choices as far as serving times and you will share your meal with a table of 8 to 10 other pilgrims, it's a lot of fun. There are a couple of other dining options in Roncevalles as well as the vending machines in the albergue.
Thank you biarritzdon...still awaiting email reply from Orisson. Maybe they are already fully booked, but it would be nice to hear back one way or another.

I arrive in SJPP later this week around mid-day. I don't have any long flights or jet- lag to get over. I was thinking of starting to walk on arrival and that would mean getting into Ronscesvalles at approx 8.00 in the evening. Is this possible? Would there still be accomodation available in the albergue at Ronscesvalles arriving that late? Any downside that I'm not seeing?
Regards,
Gerard.
Gerard, you've got some advice from experienced Trekkers, IMO to echo some others...take your time the first two weeks, please don't push yourself too hard, that's when injury happens and if you can just let things happen without planning stops, booking beds, meals...it will be ok. Buen Camino pilgrams.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Peter, it can take a week or so to hear back from Orisson. They do respond though.
Buen Camino

Thanks for all the advice, I arrive in SJPdP in morning of 15th May,and have just decided to book at Orisson, thru their website. I haven't yet received a confirmation, so if they are full, I will take Valcarlos route. I've heard the albergue at Roncesvalles is huge, does that mean a fwd booking is not necessary? And should one book ahead for a meal at Roncesvalles?
Hello Peter,
We also arrive SJPP on the morning 15 May from an early start from Bayonne. I have been contemplating starting that day or staying in SJPP and starting on the 16th. I finally had my response from the refuge in Orisson and it has been nearly two weeks. So today I will spend time detailing stopping points for the whole route so that I can book some private hotels along the route. I have the forum badge to put on my back pack so I will see how many others I spot along the way. Buen Camino on foot.

There is a shuttle service that will take you from Orisson back to SJPDP for the night and then return you back to Orisson about 8.30 the next morning. We did that last September. Check with Express Bouricott.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Peter,
We also arrive SJPP on the morning 15 May from an early start from Bayonne. I have been contemplating starting that day or staying in SJPP and starting on the 16th. I finally had my response from the refuge in Orisson and it has been nearly two weeks. So today I will spend time detailing stopping points for the whole route so that I can book some private hotels along the route. I have the forum badge to put on my back pack so I will see how many others I spot along the way. Buen Camino on foot.
I would not advise booking the stopping points along the route, except maybe the first few day. It is hard to judge how far you will be able to walk each day based on weather, injurred feet, whatever. One shorter day or a days rest is going to throw all your bookings off. Go with the flow, enjoy the journey and once you get going a days notice will suffice.

I agree about not booking ahead. In my experience most people I have spoken to find that life has a way of overtaking their plans anyway. By all means book your first night and then go with the flow. Don't plan too much distance the first few days, it pays dividends later.

Regards,
Gerard.
My advice. Relax in St. Jean PdP. Meet some fellow pilgrims and walk up the hill in the morning after a great night of sleep.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back