• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ingles loco?

Ian Afloat

Time of past OR future Camino
CF July 25th 2017 from SJPDP
Hello everyone; excuse the dodgy Spanish grammar.

In October I shall be hopefully travelling the Inglés. It is my understanding that Coruña is historically the more authentic start point, but Ferrol enables the granting of a compostela. I would like to follow the route from Coruña; I would like a compestela if I reach Santiago.
I note from John Walker's guide to the Inglés that Coruña looks like about a day's walk from Miño, maybe two,
Is starting in Ferrol and then hanging a right at Miño towards Coruña and walking from Coruña to Santiago a feasible plan? Or am I just totally mad?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

In October I shall be hopefully travelling the Inglés. It is my understanding that Coruña is historically the more authentic start point, but Ferrol enables the granting of a compostela. I would like to follow the route from Coruña; I would like a compestela if I reach Santiago.
I note from John Walker's guide to the Inglés that Coruña looks like about a day's walk from Miño, maybe two,
Is starting in Ferrol and then hanging a right at Miño towards Coruña and walking from Coruña to Santiago a feasible plan? Or am I just totally mad?
The "confluence "of the camino Inglès from a Coruña and Ferrol is not in Miño but in Hospital de Bruma.
Stephen Nicolls ,forum member describes both routes on his webblog from last year in an excellent way . you can send Stephen a conversation and I think he is willing to answer all your questions about this combined routes.

Last edited:
Establishing the authentic starting points of Caminos is like any one of those great philosophic conundrums - How many of Schrodingers cats can dance on the head of a pin any-one? The Ingles route(s) arose during periods when the English were at war with the French / French at war with the English / French at war with the other French. English pilgrims wishing to make the journey to Santiago were obliged to travel by boat to the Spanish coast and walk from wherever they landed. So A Coruna, Ferrol, Ribadeo, Gijon, Santander, Bilbao. The modern Ingles routes are given as starting in A Coruna or Ferrol but that may have more to do with Galicia's tourist boards promotion of the Caminos as any authenticity. If you would like a Compostella walk from Ferrol, if you want to visit A Coruna do, its a great city. And if you want to walk both go ahead. The trip is perfectly feasible if you have the time.

Buen Camino(s)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just to address any confusion, I am suggesting Ferrol to Miño then "cross country" (ie just head west from Miño) to get to Coriña, maybe following the coast, and then walking to Santiago.

Just to address any confusion, I am suggesting Ferrol to Miño then "cross country" (ie just head west from Miño) to get to Coriña, maybe following the coast, and then walking to Santiago.
Okay. Clear. It's 25 kms from Miño to a Coruña.
Take a good map with you.it is not waymarked.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Looking at OpenStreetMap, there don't seem to be a lot of obvious footpaths/tracks between the two, so it may involve a lot of road walking to get across.

As another option, you could walk from Ferrol to Bruma/Meson Do Vento on the standard route and then catch the direct bus from Meson back to Coruna and walk the leg back to Bruma.

Buen Camino, whichever way you choose.
Mig

Attachments

• Horarios Mesón do Vento - A Coruña .pdf
    27.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Establishing the authentic starting points of Caminos is like any one of those great philosophic conundrums - How many of Schrodingers cats can dance on the head of a pin any-one? The Ingles route(s) arose during periods when the English were at war with the French / French at war with the English / French at war with the other French. English pilgrims wishing to make the journey to Santiago were obliged to travel by boat to the Spanish coast and walk from wherever they landed. So A Coruna, Ferrol, Ribadeo, Gijon, Santander, Bilbao. The modern Ingles routes are given as starting in A Coruna or Ferrol but that may have more to do with Galicia's tourist boards promotion of the Caminos as any authenticity. If you would like a Compostella walk from Ferrol, if you want to visit A Coruna do, its a great city. And if you want to walk both go ahead. The trip is perfectly feasible if you have the time.

Buen Camino(s)
How many cats?
How big is the box?
Is there enough catnip for them to remain engaged and does the needle have a laserbeam to make kitty chase?

If you fly into Coruna, walk to Bruma/Meson do Vento, catch the bus to Ferrol and then walk the Inglés arm from there you could achieve all you want to do. We will be passing through Viveiro, another north coast port used by pilgrims from England in the distant past.
We researched the route from Ferrol then back towards the Coruna arm some years ago and it is really necessary to get to Betanzos to turn to Coruna and involves road walking with a good map. No certainty of food or accomodation. We were trying to make short stages but decided the diversion was not viable.
Sir John Moore's grave and the Tower of Hercules lighthouse are good places to visit while in Coruna.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ian. A very quick scan of Google Maps suggest all things are possible. You could make your way from Mino to Lambre and cross the estuary and follow the AC-164 and N6 to A Coruna. Following the coast would be an adventure. There may be off-road routes but you will need some decent large scale maps to establish that. Stanfords stock the "Mapas Militares" and can advise.

Hello,
There are pilgrims with more recent

hello Ian,
It is some years since we walked the Camino Ingles. It is a pity more pilgrims do not begin in A Coruna which is where this Camino should start. I recommend going to A Coruna and visiting the church of Santiago there ( and indeed all the other interesting sites in the city) but taking a bus out to the Al Campo supermarket. This will avoid the boring trek out of the town. When you get to Hospital de Bruma you can go back by bus (from the main road not far away) to Ferrol or to A Coruna and from there to El Ferrol. The Ferrol bus goes to Neda so you could skip El Ferrol anyway. You can then walk till you reach Hospital de Bruma again and continue the Camino. The granite slabs on the route from A Coruna were unveiled by my husband and myself in Holy Year 2004 to commemorate the English pilgrims who walked that route.
Maricristina

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there. I’m thinking of spending around five to seven days walking the Ingles, and would be interested in getting some input. I’ve walked the Portuges from Porto to Santiago, before continuing...
So, I managed to lose my lovely Tilley hat. Left behind I think, in a shop in Cambre. Going back for it not an option as the place is closed today, Sunday. Am I destined to arrive in Santiago...
Howdy folks I am looking forward to doing the St. James Way in England and considering continuing on with the es Camino INGLES. Can anyone share suggestion or have experience with transportation...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.