• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting Camino Group in North Texas DFW Area

Marlin

Hey all, if you have traveled the Caminos, or intend to... we would enjoy your company. We are going to start a Camino Group for North Texas travelers in the DFW area. Our first actual meeting will be at 6pm on August 24th, 2014, at a restaurant in the Arlington Area (to be determined based on the number coming.)

Please shoot me a direct email at marlinrprice@verizon.net if you can attend and give me the number of folks coming. As it get nearer, I will be able to find a location that can accommodate out group.

If you have traveled already, bring an item that you think the others who have not yet traveled would enjoy learning about...or you whole pack if you want.

Ruth and I leave September 3rd for our trek. Hope there is some interest in getting a group started.

Marlin

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hey all, if you have traveled the Caminos, or intend to... we would enjoy your company. We are going to start a Camino Group for North Texas travelers in the DFW area. Our first actual meeting will be at 6pm on August 24th, 2014, at a restaurant in the Arlington Area (to be determined based on the number coming.)

Please shoot me a direct email at marlinrprice@verizon.net if you can attend and give me the number of folks coming. As it get nearer, I will be able to find a location that can accommodate out group.

If you have traveled already, bring an item that you think the others who have not yet traveled would enjoy learning about...or you whole pack if you want.

Ruth and I leave September 3rd for our trek. Hope there is some interest in getting a group started.

Marlin

Well, looks like there is no interest at present....no emails from anyone!! So our August 24th meeting is cancelled. We leave on September 3rd starting our Camino, back Oct 21. Be happy to visit with anyone interested on our return.

Marlin

Marlin
Hi Marlin,

I hope your Camino went well. Did anyone ever get back to you? I am realizing it's hard to find a North Texas crowd...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Marlin,

I hope your Camino went well. Did anyone ever get back to you? I am realizing it's hard to find a North Texas crowd...

Our Camino was great! Started Sept. 5th and finished October 12th. Had a great time thanks to all the tips and advice on this forum. Still willing to get together if there is any interest. Got a gazillion pictures and sometimes photos are the best way to show or explain. May be going back to do the Portugal route in a year or so.

Have you done the Camino??

Marlin

Our Camino was great! Started Sept. 5th and finished October 12th. Had a great time thanks to all the tips and advice on this forum. Still willing to get together if there is any interest. Got a gazillion pictures and sometimes photos are the best way to show or explain. May be going back to do the Portugal route in a year or so.

Have you done the Camino??

Marlin
No, I am headed over at the end of April 2015. So I am in the training and figuring out the details phase. And of course reading the forums all the time. :)

Great! We trained around here in Coppell and were walking 14-15 miles a day in the heat so we thought were would be fine. Unfortunately, Spain is not like Coppell or North Texas. Them Spaniards built tall hills, mountains and put valleys in places just to give us grief. It was 10 days before we got down into single digit ibuprophen. We were eating it like candy sprinkles on ice cream. If you have the opportunity, find some hills....long hills, both up and down. Your calves and thighs will thank you. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Great! We trained around here in Coppell and were walking 14-15 miles a day in the heat so we thought were would be fine. Unfortunately, Spain is not like Coppell or North Texas. Them Spaniards built tall hills, mountains and put valleys in places just to give us grief. It was 10 days before we got down into single digit ibuprophen. We were eating it like candy sprinkles on ice cream. If you have the opportunity, find some hills....long hills, both up and down. Your calves and thighs will thank you. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions.
Marlin,

I am in Dallas too. I finished the Camino Frances and currently almost to Porto en el Camino Portuguese.

I liked it much much more in the winter, less slbergues, Yes, but much time to relax, visit churches, and enjoy the Camino.

In 12 days I only saw one peregrine on a way to run to Santiago, and one another one yesterday.

On my way home this week.

Burn Camino

I have been planning a trek myself and still leery about going alone. Thanks for all the positive messages posted here

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Kimmee when are you planning on going? I am heading out to do the Frances in May. If you are going around the same time, perhaps we can meet up along the way.

Kimmee when are you planning on going? I am heading out to do the Frances in May. If you are going around the same time, perhaps we can meet up along the way.
I just stopped yeaterday in Tui (el Camino Poetuguese). Planning ti be back the last week of March and be in Santiago for Easter Sunday Mass.

Buen Camino,

Texas guy

Hey North Texas Pilgrims!

We will be doing a Education Program for REI on the Camino at their new Southlake Store on Sunday afternoon, February 15 at 2pm. We will be showing a bunch of photos from our trek and talking about equipment and answering questions. If your interested in doing the Camino or if you have been on the Camino and would like to participate, please come. The Southlake REI store will have a flyer on their website in the next week or so. Look forward to seeing you there!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Living in downtown, I wonder where I can find these mysterious hills...?

And I would still love to be part of a NorthTexas group if anyone else is interested. Thanks for the event info Marlin!

Living in downtown, I wonder where I can find these mysterious hills...?

Nomadpeah, I managed to find a few hills outside of Denton, how hilly they are compared to Spain I can't say :)

I plan on attending the REI talk, hope to see some of you there

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Marlin Thank you so much for the REI talk, I leave Tuesday and start my walk on May 5th. I put the reflectors gave you on my walking poles and have a plan but am taking each day as it comes.

I lost your e-mail but thank you so much for all your information!

We had had a couple of folks contact us and we have decided to meet for drinks and or dinner on Sunday afternoon at 5pm on June 14 at the Black Walnut Cafe, on Denton Tap and 121 in Coppell. If you are interested, have done a Camino or would just like to find out about it, please come. Let us know you are coming so we can make sure you have a seat. We will also be doing another REI presentation sometime this summer.

Marlin

We had had a couple of folks contact us and we have decided to meet for drinks and or dinner on Sunday afternoon at 5pm on June 14 at the Black Walnut Cafe, on Denton Tap and 121 in Coppell. If you are interested, have done a Camino or would just like to find out about it, please come. Let us know you are coming so we can make sure you have a seat. We will also be doing another REI presentation sometime this summer.

Marlin
I plan to be there.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
:) Good morning DFW! My walking partner Joyce signed us up. We attended Marlin and Ruth's presentation at the new REI off Central Expressway a few weeks ago.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I plan to be in attendance as well, hope this isn't to short of notice. See you there!

My hiking partner Joyce and I had a great time yesterday at a gathering of the North Texas Pilgrims... Well, 4 actual pilgrims and 3 hopefuls!

Thanks to Marlin and Ruth for organizing the event. It was great to meet Rachel, Melinda, and Laura. :)

Marlin, Ruth, Laura and Rachel have all walked the Camino within the last year. It was great to hear their stories.

Judy

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just found yall. Please let me know when you decide to get together again. Very interested.
PCC_80: sorry you missed the meeting. Marlin and Ruth set up the meeting place and brought lots of great items to show us. He will be speaking at REI again so that might be a great place to meet everyone. Hopefully we will schedule another meeting soon. If there are any other Dallas area forum members interested in meeting - please let us know.

Hello! I am new to this forum & would like to meet with other N. Texans who have been or plan to go on the Camino. I live in Rockwall.
I am hoping to go in 2016 and would like to find someone interested in training hikes. My favorite place to go around Dallas is Cedar Ridge Preserve.
http://www.audubondallas.org/Profile.pdf

Thank you!

Hi juleschad and PCC 80!!
My wife and I are off to Lisbon in a couple of weeks to do the Portugese Camino. Back the 19th of October. I will be trying to put a meeting together shortly thereafter.
JudyinTexas (above and Joyce often hike at Cedar Ridge. You might private Message them to see if they can meet you one morning.

Looking forward to meeting and seeing everyone again, but also looking forward to our upcoming trip.

Will get something together when we get back for sure, but if some of you want to meet in the mean time, don't wait on us, just do it!!

Judy and Joyce live somewhere over near Benbrook so a central location would obviously be best.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi everyone. Last time Joyce and I were at Cedar Ridge Preserve (a month ago) it was a Saturday and so crowded cars were parked all the way out to the main road. The driveway was down to one car wide which made coming and going quite difficult. Even with all of the cars, the trails weren't that crowded. There were a number of people training for an upcoming trail run. Have any of you been out there since? I'm wondering if there was something more going on to account for the crowds.

Safe travels to Marlin and Ruth on your upcoming Camino.

Judy

Hi Juleschad...and also to Joyce, Judy, Marlin and his wife (enjoyed meeting everyone at the last meeting). I am interested in doing some training hikes. I walked the Camino Sanabres from Salamanca in March and will be going back around the second week of October. I am thinking about doing the Primativo if I feel I am in shape to do it. Otherwise may chose another route. I will only have about 15-16 days to walk so still deciding. Send me a message if you would like to get together.

Hi juleschad and PCC 80!!
My wife and I are off to Lisbon in a couple of weeks to do the Portugese Camino. Back the 19th of October. I will be trying to put a meeting together shortly thereafter.
JudyinTexas (above and Joyce often hike at Cedar Ridge. You might private Message them to see if they can meet you one morning.

Looking forward to meeting and seeing everyone again, but also looking forward to our upcoming trip.

Will get something together when we get back for sure, but if some of you want to meet in the mean time, don't wait on us, just do it!!

Judy and Joyce live somewhere over near Benbrook so a central location would obviously be best.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Marlin,

Thank you for responding!

I hope y'all have a wonderful time in Portugal. Looking forward to hearing about it

Hi everyone. Last time Joyce and I were at Cedar Ridge Preserve (a month ago) it was a Saturday and so crowded cars were parked all the way out to the main road. The driveway was down to one car wide which made coming and going quite difficult. Even with all of the cars, the trails weren't that crowded. There were a number of people training for an upcoming trail run. Have any of you been out there since? I'm wondering if there was something more going on to account for the crowds.

Safe travels to Marlin and Ruth on your upcoming Camino.

Judy

Hi Judy!

It's been a while since I've been to Cedar Ridge. Hopefully, the crowded-ness is not a regular thing! With school back in session, I bet during the week would be pleasant, if the schedule allows.
I love that place. Wish it was closer to me!

Hey all,
Ruth and I just got back from walking the Portugese Camino. Great fun, at least part of the way.

We are doing another Camino Presentation at REI on November 15 from 3 to 5 pm with all our photos and equipment. If you are interested you can sign up on the REI website.

Also though we would try to get the North Texas Group together again if there is any interest. Maybe the Sunday, the 6th of December. We can meet again at the Black Walnut Cafe, on Denton Tap just a block north of Hwy 121 in Coppell. We will meet a 5pm and if the weather is good we can do the patio again, if not, we will be inside.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again. Hope you can make it.

Marlin Price
marlinrprice@verizon.net
817-676-3023

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Marlin,
Glad to hear your Camino Potuguese was a good one.
I am leaving, God willing, next Friday to do El Camino Ingles, and then to meet some friends with whom, I walked the Frances in 2013, to do the France's again.
I am hoping to be back by December 20.
I did the Portuguese this past Easter, and was incredible being there for Easter Sunday.

If I am in town for one of your gathering, I will join you guys for sure.

Buen Camino,

Texasguy

Hey all,
Ruth and I just got back from walking the Portugese Camino. Great fun, at least part of the way.

We are doing another Camino Presentation at REI on November 15 from 3 to 5 pm with all our photos and equipment. If you are interested you can sign up on the REI website.

Also though we would try to get the North Texas Group together again if there is any interest. Maybe the Sunday, the 6th of December. We can meet again at the Black Walnut Cafe, on Denton Tap just a block north of Hwy 121 in Coppell. We will meet a 5pm and if the weather is good we can do the patio again, if not, we will be inside.

Marlin Price
marlinrprice@verizon.net
817-676-3023

Will be out of town for the REI presentation but have December 6th on my calendar. Looking forward to hearing about your latest Camino.

Judy

Clarification please for those interested in the REI presentation. Is this the REI is Southlake or in Dallas off Central Expressway?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hey all,

Thought we would try to get the North Texas Group together again if there is any interest. Maybe the Sunday, the 6th of December. We can meet again at the Black Walnut Cafe, on Denton Tap just a block north of Hwy 121 in Coppell. We will meet a 5pm and if the weather is good we can do the patio again, if not, we will be inside.

Marlin Price
marlinrprice@verizon.net
817-676-3023

Marlin: I sent a pm. I won't be in town so can't attend.

Hi Everyone! My name is Grace and I will be doing my first camino summer of 2016. I am so excited. I can't attend the December gathering as I work Sunday evening but I would love to do a lunch or coffee and pick y'alls brain! I have so many questions and I'm kind of nervous. Plus it would be nice to chat with some local like minded people. It's nice to meet everyone. Oh and I'm here in Aubrey, TX.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Marlin/Ruth: Joyce and I plan on being there if the meet up is still on. We understand if you want to put it off till after the holidays.

Judy

I still planning on going today, see you at five!

Rachel

We had six people tonight at the North Texas get together. Rachel was our veteran pilgrim and the rest of us are Pilgrim - wannabe's. Thank you, Rachel, for sharing your experiences. It was great spending the evening with like-minded people.

Judy

Hey yall,
Hope some of you were able to get together on the 6th. We had a family emergency on Dec. 4 and were out of town for almost a week. With all the stress of that event, we forgot about our camino gathering. Hope whoever showed up found each other and had a nice visit. We will try to put together another visit after the first of the year. Open on where and when. I was going to bring my new Packa Jacket to show. Google Packa and watch the video. Pretty cool!!
Talk to you soon.

Marlin

Hello all. Is there a DFW local Chapter for the Camino? I haven't done it yet but plan to some day. Getting all the info now. Thanks.

There are two DFW area organizations that have started.
Joe Zarcaro at joezarcaro@att.net is starting an American Pilgrims on the Camino in the Fort Worth Area.
There is a group called Dallas Pilgrims on the Camino that has both a Facebook page and a group on Meetup.com. The meetup group is called "El Camino - Santiago de Compostella"

Joe Zarcaro at joezarcaro@att.net is starting an American Pilgrims on the Camino in the Fort Worth Area.
There is a group called Dallas Pilgrims on the Camino that has both a Facebook page and a group on Meetup.com. The meetup group is called "El Camino - Santiago de Compostella"
Awesome! Thanks!

Can't find the meetup group but did email Joe.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.