• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Life on the Camino Portuguës

Camembert

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
oi pessoas !

Today start our third caminho . Alltough we are not in Portugal yet, it starts today.
It is complicated to explain why it starts today but I'll give it a try.
The Netherlands have a King- HM Willem Alexander and tomorrow will be his birthday .this birthday is a national holiday and many dutch like to celebrate this day by coming together in the bigger cities for a drink, a fleamarket (really !) and concerts of all kinds. Centers of celebration are a.o.amsterdam and Eindhoven.
Coincidently in Eindhoven in the south part of the country is the airport , we fly from to Porto tomorrow.
The Dutch railways expect big crowds direction Eindhoven tomorrow -besides that the scoccer team of PSV Eindhoven has become champion of the Dutch Premier Division so they expect even more people around.
We do not like to travel on a tight schedule so leave today for Eindhoven and if there is no public transport tomorrow morning, the airport is about 3 kms.away from our hotel . A nice warming up distance.

On the airport we will meet two people, Guus and Joke, who are biking to Santiago from Porto .
We do not know them but they are friends of my sister and my sister told me they are on the same plane.a small world after all.

Tomorrow afternoon we will be transferred to the albergue monasteiro do Vairão on the first route out of Porto via Vliarinho. (Not my advised route by the way as you know from many posts- I advise the coastal route usually via Matosinhos and Vila do Conde to Rates) but Vairão is allready out of the busy infrastructure of Porto and only 14 kms from Rates .
The backpacks are ready, both weigh 7 kgs , as before.
And ..we are ready for the caminho..

Here a link to our travelblog
http://caminho-portuges-da-costa.reismee.nl

It's time to go to Eindhoven.

Um abraço from Rotterdam

Albertinho and Nel.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
All the best - I'll be reading your updates wit interest as we soon follow in your footsteps. Thanks for all the assistance you have given already.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Buen Camino to you and Nell and all the best to you. So in a few days you will be staying at Casa Fernanda, life does not get any better. Enjoy!

Bom caminho Albertinho.
I hope you taking boots. It has rained quite a bit the last few days, the trails will be sodden.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Following your blog with great anticipation!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Abraço Laurie !
Hugs to you and Nel, Albertinho. I wish I could be waiting in Santiago to write out your compostela like last year! Really looking forward to hearing all about your trip, I will be reading your blog. Bom caminho, amigo. Laurie

Buon Camino to you both. We will be following your Camino with interest!
Anne & Adriaan ( aka fraluchi).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Love it, Albertinho -- did you plan to be in Barcelos for the festivities? By the way, the link above doesn't let me get to the page, but going to the earlier link you posted, I can click ahead to the day to Barcelos, if that makes sense.

Bom caminho, hugs to you and Nel, Laurie
No Laurie we did not plan the festivities in Barcelos. This was coincidence but we like it. We stay an other night here and plan to go to Braga tomorrow.
image.jpg
For you a virtual one :)
Love. Albert and Nel

By the way when I click on the link it works and I get more reactions from forum members

But you are in the email list of the blog Laurie so you will be updated automaticly

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
oi pessoas !

Today start our third caminho . Alltough we are not in Portugal yet, it starts today.
The Netherlands have a King- HM Willem Alexander and tomorrow will be his birthday .this birthday is a national holiday and many dutch like to celebrate this day by coming together in the bigger cities for a drink, a fleamarket (really !) and concerts of all kinds. Centers of celebration are a.o.amsterdam and Eindhoven.
Coincidently in Eindhoven in the south part of the country is the airport , we fly from to Porto tomorrow.
The Dutch railways expect big crowds direction Eindhoven tomorrow -besides that the scoccer team of PSV Eindhoven has become champion of the Dutch Premier Division so they expect even more people around.
We do not like to travel on a tight schedule so leave today for Eindhoven and if there is no public transport tomorrow morning, the airport is about 3 kms.away from our hotel . A nice warming up distance.

On the airport we will meet two people, Guus and Joke, who are biking to Santiago from Porto .
We do not know them but they are friends of my sister and my sister told me they are on the same plane.a small world after all.

Tomorrow afternoon we will be transferred to the albergue monasteiro do Vairão on the first route out of Porto via Vliarinho. (Not my advised route by the way as you know from many posts- I advise the coastal route usually via Matosinhos and Vila do Conde to Rates) but Vairão is allready out of the busy infrastructure of Porto and only 14 kms from Rates .

Um abraço from Rotterdam

Albertinho and Nel.

Albertinho
Bom Caminho.
We finished yesterday the Caminho Tomar to Porto.
AMSimoes

T minus one week and than im leaving for Porto again :)

Whats up with all the raingear, Alberthino? I ordered sun for my camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
T minus one week and than im leaving for Porto again :)

Whats up with all the raingear, Alberthino? I ordered sun for my camino
It is raining cats and dogs now here . We stopped walking and stay at casa da Fernanda untill tomorrow and continue walking on tuesdsy next..
So we are a kind of volontairy hospitaleiros now. Nice work.

oi pessoas !

Um abraço from Rotterdam

Albertinho and Nel.

Hello!
I'm planing my trip in August this year from 8th of August. I have a question, how can I book place to sleep? Shall I book it in advance or I an just come and find bed for myself?
Thank you very much for your replay!
:)

Hello!
I'm planing my trip in August this year from 8th of August. I have a question, how can I book place to sleep? Shall I book it in advance or I an just come and find bed for myself?
Thank you very much for your replay!
:)
Find your place on the camino. We booked the first night arriving in Porto. Than just phoned the next place on the morning or the night before. In Portugal in common there is no problem.. Only at populair places like casa de Fernanda is is advisable to reserve some days before. We worked 3 days at Fernanda's as hospitaleiros and every night it was fully booked
In August is holidays in Spain so you may expect everything will be full from Tui/Santiago to Santiago

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Very nice! And you can recover from your cold. Thank you for your blog, it makes me want to go back even more.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am now in Porto. Starting my walk on Thursday, spending a day here

Bom Caminho

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Albertinho
I have been looking for the info on the ferry and found out= it is not sailing yet :)

But Mario Goncalves is sailing!
He took me across the river last September.
And hopefully he will take me over in the end May.
It was €5 last time also. Mario´s boat was situated about 2-3 km to the west of the center of Caminha.
I crossed the river Minho with Sol from South Corea and Luisa from Italy.
Bom caminho :)
Life is good :)

Just a general observation. On the coastal route we hardly see any pilgrims. Since we started in Viana do Castelo the day before yesterday we met a handfull other pilgrims. Everywhere we can find a place for the night without reservation ahead.

€149,-
Just a general observation. On the coastal route we hardly see any pilgrims. Since we started in Viana do Castelo the day before yesterday we met a handfull other pilgrims. Everywhere we can find a place for the night without reservation ahead.

I know - not so many pilgrims on the coastal (been there 2 times before). If you want company and you want to walk with your camino family - then you have to stay on the central route. That is very true.
We all are very different, aren´t we!

@Albertinho
I have been looking for the info on the ferry and found out= it is not sailing yet :)

But Mario Goncalves is sailing!
He took me across the river last September.
And hopefully he will take me over in the end May.
It was €5 last time also. Mario´s boat was situated about 2-3 km to the west of the center of Caminha.
I crossed the river Minho with Sol from South Corea and Luisa from Italy.
Bom caminho :)
Life is good :)
We have no internet connection other than wifi so were dependent on information of others. We thought that local people tried to intercept us and threatned by saying that the ferry should not sail and they had an alternative.
So we checked it and the man was right. We even were happy that Mario put us to the other side of the river.

Here is Mario's telephone number for them who will be in the same position in the future. 00351 963 416 259

Just before Caminha after the road with way markers crosses the railway is a turn to the left, pointing to a camping Walk about 1500 to the camping and there is a bar called Jusva Bar. Ask for Mario and he will be with you in a minute.
Nice guy

On the first picture the man who comes to you on his bike and supplies the sello and points you to Mario

Picture two is Mario's boat. And picture three is Mario on his boat.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
Sleeping in Pedra Furada (Antonio) tonight. Had some light rain after I arrived here

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Will be arriving in Porto in a couple of weeks from Coimbra. Excuse my asking but what river and what town do I find Mario. Thanks for the phone #. Looks like a fun trip across the river.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Will be arriving in Porto in a couple of weeks from Coimbra. Excuse my asking but what river and what town do I find Mario. Thanks for the phone #. Looks like a fun trip across the river.
Read my travelblog. Yesterday's story, Vila Praia de Ãncora to Caminha.
You'll find Mario just before Caminho, here above in the post with 3 picures is his phonenumber.
The river is called o Minho. There is a ferry over the river between Caminho in Portugal and A Guarda in Spain but does not sail allways , that's why we used Mario's services

http://caminho-portuges-da-costa.reismee.nl/kaart/

Last edited:
Today's update Baiona to Vigo.
A bit confusion about the way markers. From Baiona to Nigrán did not found any but we followed the coastline. It seems in Baiona you have to go uphill to find yellow markers.
From Nigrán there are yellow and green ones. The yellow keep going up into the hills, the green ones follow the coast line. In Vigo nearby the busstation we found the yellow waymarkers back.

http://caminho-portuges-da-costa.reismee.nl/reisverhaal/291311/vigo/#reactie1196741

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,017.9 KB · Views: 3
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Albertiho - I have followed the yellow arrows from Baiona to Vigo and they lead you to a really nice walking path out of Vigo to Redondela. Very enjoyable indeed. The green arrows are for bicycles and pilgrims in wheel chair.

Albertiho - I have followed the yellow arrows from Baiona to Vigo and they lead you to a really nice walking path out of Vigo to Redondela. Very enjoyable indeed. The green arrows are for bicycles and pilgrims in wheel chair.

That's what I did Annie. From the Roman bridge at Ramallosa yellow markers all the way through wooded hills on the coastal route to the outskirts of Vigo. Then a hike to the centre (via Av Castelao + Gran Via). If you're staying in the centre, find Rua Urzaiz (Hotel Zenit on the corner with Gran Via) and head up Urzaiz for the route out of Vigo and you'll find the markers past Avenida Alcalde Gregorio Espino ( there are two cafes - I stopped at Cafe Ecos - at the junction for that early morning coffee and croissant). Yellow markers all the way to Redondela along wooded track in the hills with views over the Ria Vigo - lovely walking indeed when the sun shines.

okay. We did not see any wheelchairs at all The hospitalero of Ramalloso pointed us to the green arrows.
There was no language misunderstanding because I speak Spanish as I did professionally during my working time.
But we loved the road along the coast.

€46,-
After cool, overcast 7.30 start from Caldas de Reis today along the deightful Camino to Padron. Just before midday it also became very hot and wearying and an early arrival in Padron was welcome. A diversion off the Camino at Rua de Francos tomorrow before a short stage via o Milladoiro and a much anticipated arrival in Santiago Wednesday. Buen Camino a todos.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
After cool, overcast 7.30 start from Caldas de Reis today along the deightful Camino to Padron. Just before midday it also became very hot and wearying and an early arrival in Padron was welcome. A diversion off the Camino at Rua de Francos tomorrow before a short stage via o Milladoiro and a much anticipated arrival in Santiago Wednesday. Buen Camino a todos.
We do not head for Caldas de Reis Mel.
We are in Pontevedra and head for Combarro on the ruta dos Salnés.
Make a short walk to day and find out to get to Vila Nova de Arousa on an easy way. The ruta normaly is 2 days but we like to do it in 3 so needs some research due to a lack of places to sleep.

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Well done! Congrats! And now??

Well done! Congrats! And now??
Thank you Anna

Yes that's a good question. :)

For the time being we'll go to Porto on monday and fly back to Adriaans "houdoe" land, Eindhoven on friday.

My plan is to work as a volontairy at the pilgrims office inSantiago and after that hospitalero at Casa Fernanda together with my wife May next year.

And we still have to finish the second part of the Dutch Pieterpad.
Adriaan for sure will know that path from Pieterburen in the north to the Sint Pietersberg in the south.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Adriaan for sure will know that path from Pieterburen in the north to the Sint Pietersberg in the south.
Unfortunately not.o_O My family left Eindhoven when I was 10, and I've been living abroad for the last 67 years.:cool: Still feeling pretty well Dutch though!:p

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Enjoyed your blog. Congratulations!

Give. Antonio our regards.. The Dutch couple who stayed in his "quarto de casal" last week.View attachment 18320

Hey Albertinho,
It was good to meet you and Nel on your way to the Spiritual Variant of the Caminho. We met before crossing a big roundabout in Pontevedra and I think in a small bar where they served half a litre of German beer for 1.50 euros. What a treat. The Camino Forum patch on my backpack gave me away. LOL!
I arrived Santiago on the 14th and stayed for 2 nights. I'm back in Oz now.
Regards
Angelo

Hi Angelo. Alltough a short meeting just nice to hear from you again.
We ended up in Santiago last Saturday, deserved the eternal fame and the blessings of the apostle. :)
We stay till friday next in Porto and then fly back home to Holland

Good to read you're safe back home down under.
Hope you loved your caminho

Best regards from Porto

Albertinho and Nelimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 4
Thanks! I did enjoy my second Camino. I attended the midday mass twice and on the second day they swung the Botafumeiro. It was nice!
The photos brought back good memories. When I walked into the bar all seats were taken and sat next to you guys on the stairs. Haha! It was a refreshing beer after walking in the heat (28 degrees)
Bom Caminho in life!

Thanks! I did enjoy my second Camino. I attended the midday mass twice and on the second day they swung the Botafumeiro. It was nice!
The photos brought back good memories. When I walked into the bar all seats were taken and sat next to you guys on the stairs. Haha! It was a refreshing beer after walking in the heat (28 degrees)
Bom Caminho in life!
Hi Angelo, I have heard that they don't swing the Botafumeiro everyday. When where you there ? Do you know anything about what days they do it. I thought they did it everyday but recently read they do it on Friday night and on other days if its paid buy tour groups...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
They swung the Botafumeiro during the Friday midday mass. A bishop from Italy was the celebrant and he had several pilgrim priests with him who concelebrated.
It wasn't swung the day before. Last year, when I arrived from the Camino Frances on a Wednesday, the Botafumeiro was out.
Not sure about the other days that they normally swing it.
Yes if a big group of tourists pay a few hundred euros the Botafumeiro will swing, too.

They swung the Botafumeiro during the Friday midday mass. A bishop from Italy was the celebrant and he had several pilgrim priests with him who concelebrated.
It wasn't swung the day before. Last year, when I arrived from the Camino Frances on a Wednesday, the Botafumeiro was out.
Not sure about the other days that they normally swing it.
Yes if a big group of tourists pay a few hundred euros the Botafumeiro will swing, too.
On last sunday for a week they swung the botafumeiro on the beginning of the mass. When we were there last year it swung about half way. So even that seems to differ.

Back home Angelo since last friday.
Had some nice time in Porto .
Visited the tourist info next to the cathedral, found a flyer of a guitarshop-a casa da guitarra-I am a jazz guitarist- this was around the corner of the cathedral on the way to the upper deck of the bridge. The owner told us there coincidentally was a fado recital in a small bar just near the second bridge direction the mouth of the Douro river so we took the antique tram to the end of the river and were in the middle of a spontaneous fado recital, sung by the locals. We even met a famous text poet of fado lyrics who was sitting at the same table as we were. Great time.

image.jpg

Very good, Albertinho! Glad to know you had a good time back in Porto. How nice to be treated to a Fado Recital and to meet someone who writes it! It would have been great to be there. Cheers!
By the way the guitar on the right is that a Fado guitar? I heard they make good quality ones in Braga.

Very good, Albertinho! Glad to know you had a good time back in Porto. How nice to be treated to a Fado Recital and to meet someone who writes it! It would have been great to be there. Cheers!
By the way the guitar on the right is that a Fado guitar? I heard they make good quality ones in Braga.
The left one is the fado or Portugese guitar. The right one is a normal so called Spanish guitar.
APC (Antonio Pinto Carvalho) in Braga makes very nice Portuguese style and normal Spanish guitars as well ukelleles.
I bought a gypsy jazz guitar from them last year after finishing the camino Inglès. we traveled with our car and campingtrailer through Spain ,Portugal and France. So was able to take one.
During this caminho I visited them again in Braga one day from Barcelos but due to our backpacks I had to refrain from buying a Portugese guitar this time :)

I stand corrected. LOL! Yeah the guitar on the left.
Nice to know that we have a Jazz musician in our Forum. Would be interesting to see a link of you playing.
Incidentally, I saw a Pilgrim walking with his Spanish guitar before reaching Barcelos. Was he a busker as well? I won't mind listening to someone like him.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I stand corrected. LOL! Yeah the guitar on the left.
Nice to know that we have a Jazz musician in our Forum. Would be interesting to see a link of you playing.
Incidentally, I saw a Pilgrim walking with his Spanish guitar before reaching Barcelos. Was he a busker as well? I won't mind listening to someone like him.
I put a link on the forum about a month ago about a group I am playing in recently but that is no jazz and am playing the double bass instead of the jazzguitar I shall see where I can find it.
The group makes "klezmer" and worldmusic . klezmer is Jewish music from Eastern Europe . The link I put on was a Galicean song, called chove en Santiago which means it rains in Santiago. When we entered Santiago for a week , with sunshine, it went through my head and touched my soul. I am going to find it and put it below here

Last edited:
You'll see the you tube vide directly when you click on the link.
I am not playing on that vid yet because as I saisd I joined it recently but my first gigs are withing a fortnight from now. First jazzgig is next sunday with a bigband but I haven't touch any guitar yet.
The camino is still in my mind.:)

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...june-from-porto-any-advice.32908/#post-293952
I'm a fan of the music! I like the ensemble and how the instruments combine to come up with a nice tune. Lyrics in Portuguese, I guess? Thanks heaps. And it fits the bill...that kind of music is something you'd hear in Galicia, I reckon.

€46,-
I'm a fan of the music! I like the ensemble and how the instruments combine to come up with a nice tune. Lyrics in Portuguese, I guess? Thanks heaps. And it fits the bill...that kind of music is something you'd hear in Galicia, I reckon.
The lyrics are Galego , the Galicean language which looks like Portuguese

Thanks for the clarification, Albertinho. I have learnt a lot from your posts.
Bom Caminho!

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back