• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Caves of Altimira

Dash

Like to get some general thoughts about a possible stop along my Way. For instance, can I see it and then continue on my Camino the same day? How long did you spend seeing it yourself? Anyway of seeing the real deal? Was it worth your time and effort? Best way to set up the visit (end of day or beginning)? Anything else that might help me in my decision to take this detour on my walk?
Thanks

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Getting to the caves from "downtown" is a 30-45 minute walk up a hill. When you get there you buy a ticket for a tour that starts at a specific time. Depending on how many people are already there you will have to wait 15, 30, minutes, an hour perhaps for your tour to start. In the mean time you can look at an exhibit they have and tour the grounds. The tour itself is about 30 minutes. So plan 3 hours.

Is it worth it? Depends. It's not something visually extraordinary, but it is an important part of our history and interesting from that perspective. The explanations on the different painting techniques are also interesting. Can you see the real thing? Only if you are lucky. The blanket answer is no, only the replica, but every Friday morning there is a draw amongst the people there and 4 of them, I think it's 4, are allowed in the real cave. I have heard that their are disscussions at the moment to increase access to the cave in the future as it is no longer clear that human presence causes deterioration, but that is not for tomorrow. Hope this helps.

@Dash:- If you wait to book your ticket on the day you will spend a lot of time in a queue. The easiest way is to go into the Bank of Santander (possibly the big one on the street opposite the park and port) in Santander itself. Ask at the counter for your ticket for a given day and they will give you a time - this skips the first gate. Then go to the second ticket gate and they will accept your ticket and give you a time to view the replica cave. You can look round the museum while you wait, or if the time is near join the waiting area (which has the next group time up). Allow at least half a day for the visit. We asked for a morning entry at about 10.00 and our cave tour was about 11.15, so we went round part of the museum first and the rest after.
There is no way really to see the original cave as it is so very restricted, but if it is the right day and there is a draw you could always try. Again I suggest the Bank of Santander might have some more details or check out the Altamira site itself. The original cave is awesome, but the replica is a good second best :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
YES, it is worth it, even though it's a replica. It is one of the most important and oldest cave art sites in the world. However, I would highly suggest checking out several other actual cave art sites, on or near the Camino del Norte. Puente Viesgo has several caves, just 25 minute bus ride from Santiana del Mar. Also, there is Tito Bustillo in Ribadesella, which requires an advanced reservation, as it fills up fast in summer. Most are in Cantabria, and some are in Asturias. The hospitalero in San Juan de La Pena actually drove me to the caves of Candamo, about 20 minutes away. These caves are magnificent treasures of our human heritage, and well worth the extra time and trouble to get to them. Do yourself a favor and don't miss out, even if it's just to the NeoCave at Altamira! Heres a link http://www.spainisculture.com/en/monumentos/asturias/cueva_del_tito_bustillo.html

It's no problem visiting the replica cave of Altamira. It'll cost you a walk up (or find bus).
I remember from school the caves of Lascaux and Altamira.
So, as I walked the CdelN, why ot visit?
After visiting I wrote in my blog: Nice, not super, just nice.
Small disappointment ;-)
They do however have a 'sello' ;-)

blogger-image-1370997337.jpg

When we visited Altamira we had pre-booked our slot in Santander 2 days previously. The queue at the first gate was horrendous (May) so if time is limited pre-booking seems a good idea.
Similarly Tito Bustillo, we went to the cave itself and had to go back next day. That was not a problem as we were stopping over and we had choice of time (also May).
This year we hope to finally be able to get to the Pre-history musem in Santander which has now re-opened and we intend to check out if there is a need for any pre-booking. We think in this case it is only if you want a guided tour, rather than being able to wander round at leisure.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When we visited Altamira we had pre-booked our slot in Santander 2 days previously. The queue at the first gate was horrendous (May) so if time is limited pre-booking seems a good idea.
Similarly Tito Bustillo, we went to the cave itself and had to go back next day. That was not a problem as we were stopping over and we had choice of time (also May).
This year we hope to finally be able to get to the Pre-history musem in Santander which has now re-opened and we intend to check out if there is a need for any pre-booking. We think in this case it is only if you want a guided tour, rather than being able to wander round at leisure.
The Santander museum was excellent and has many of the original portable paleolithic art from the caves too. Good multi-media presentations of caves also. I just went without reservation, and it's free certain days, so check first. there's also an exhibit on the Candamo de la pena caves, which I also visited in person. You can catch a train from Grado I believe, before you get to San Juan. Buen Camino

Gracias @K Malpica - we only have one day (a Wednesday) in Santander waiting for the ferry home. We will make a note of Candamo de la Pena for the future. We are just so pleased that the museum has finally re-opened. We visited it about 20 years ago in its old location near the Maritime museum when it was just what could be exhibited in one small room. There is obviously so much more now so it will make a good last morning for us.

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.