• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino 25 Apr 2015 -- "Houston -- The Eagle Has Landed"

Grogan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis (April 2015)
25 April 2015 - Lavacolla to Santiago -- 10 Kms

What started out as a "I can do this" 7 months ago, has now turned into a reality -- I do not think my wife really thought that I would go through with this crazy idea -- and in fact -- I do not think it hit her until we said goodbye at the Paris Train Station -- I could see it in her eyes -- "my gosh, he is really leaving" -- What she did not know, is that my wanting to do this had nothing to do with our relationship -- it is stronger than it has ever been -- it was more of a challenge and an opportunity to purge out of my body and soul, the pain, frustration, and helplessness of life's experiences over the last decade of conflict.

Walking the El Camino has for me been a wonderful life experience -- I have had the opportunity to once again push my body physically and emotionally -- really looking hard at the life that I have had and also to be so very thankful for all of life's experiences -- but -- most importantly -- for my wonderful family -- my three sons -- and -- of course -- my beautiful German wife, who does not always appreciate my exceptional sense of humor, but who has always stayed by my side -- through the good, the bad and the ugly -- Being a military family, in over a decade of War - well -- it is not easy.

Having had the opportunity to meet so many different folks out doing their " Camino" was fun, educational and really gave me a renewed sense of the fact that there are good people in this world who can come together on something as simple and as complicated as the El Camino.

It has been an experience that -- well -- words can never fully explain -- regardless of where you start or what you carry on your back or don't carry on your back -- the Camino is your personal journey -- and only those who have taken that journey fully appreciates it.

The Last 10 Kms I thought would have been a lot harder, but it was not, as if to sense the lack of challenge -- the skies opened up and it rained really, really hard -- oh - well -- its the Camino, I did not even put my pack cover on -- you get wet -- then you dry.

Seeing Santiago in the distance -- wow -- this short journey was coming to an end -- but life's journey -- well -- continues -- how cool is thats.

After getting lost in the city (that happened to me quite often) -- guess I should pay better attention to where I am going (like that is going to happen -- too busy rubber necking all of the sites) -- so finally roll into the plaza -- looking for my wife -- and there she was!

We attended Noon Mass in the Cathedral -- it was breathtaking -- I did drop off the Walnuts given to me from the Old Cow Guy when the Collection Guy came along (with a slight of hand along with some Euros) -- we walked around the old town -- had some chow and a cold beer -- Oh and we went to the Pilgrim's Office to check in and check out -- had to get that last stamp -- my feet would have never forgiven me had I not done that.

Tomorrow we head to Finisterra -- but we are driving and then heading back to Brussels -- will be weird to not walk.

This has been fun -- thanks to you all for allowing me to share with you my ramblings -- looking forward to doing this again -- but next time -- at a slower pace -- with my wife.

Oh -- and for those that are curious -- I Got the best hug you could ever ask for in Santiago! -- and Yep -- I Stunk!

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Beautifully and movingly written.

All your postings have, by turns, been both entertaining and informative.

And we have been with you each day of your camino.

Grogan, thank you and farewell until the next time!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not having completed my camino yet (Sept/Oct 2015) I have been following this thread with real interest.
I've really enjoyed the serious and the humorous side of your daily blog. Have a safe forward journey.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
@Grogan I only discovered your posts recently but have now searched out and read them - loved your journey, very entertaining. It will be good to see you back on the trail and I hope you stay involved on this forum

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Congratulations Grogan. I'm sorry that our journey with you has ended. It has been a hoot.

Congratulations on your Camino, I have so enjoyed reading your posts and following you along the Way. Makes me want to do a second camino.

Grogan, Congratulations!
I start my first Camino in August. Your posts were beautifully written and so wonderful to read.
THANK YOU!
Dan

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Really enjoyed your posts.
Buen Camino on your life's journeys

Really enjoyed reading your daily reports about your Camino Journey. They were so personal, informative, and amusing. Thanks for sharing.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
25 April 2015 - Lavacolla to Santiago -- 10 Kms

What started out as a "I can do this" 7 months ago, has now turned into a reality -- I do not think my wife really thought that I would go through with this crazy idea -- and in fact -- I do not think it hit her until we said goodbye at the Paris Train Station -- I could see it in her eyes -- "my gosh, he is really leaving" -- What she did not know, is that my wanting to do this had nothing to do with our relationship -- it is stronger than it has ever been -- it was more of a challenge and an opportunity to purge out of my body and soul, the pain, frustration, and helplessness of life's experiences over the last decade of conflict.

Walking the El Camino has for me been a wonderful life experience -- I have had the opportunity to once again push my body physically and emotionally -- really looking hard at the life that I have had and also to be so very thankful for all of life's experiences -- but -- most importantly -- for my wonderful family -- my three sons -- and -- of course -- my beautiful German wife, who does not always appreciate my exceptional sense of humor, but who has always stayed by my side -- through the good, the bad and the ugly -- Being a military family, in over a decade of War - well -- it is not easy.

Having had the opportunity to meet so many different folks out doing their " Camino" was fun, educational and really gave me a renewed sense of the fact that there are good people in this world who can come together on something as simple and as complicated as the El Camino.

It has been an experience that -- well -- words can never fully explain -- regardless of where you start or what you carry on your back or don't carry on your back -- the Camino is your personal journey -- and only those who have taken that journey fully appreciates it.

The Last 10 Kms I thought would have been a lot harder, but it was not, as if to sense the lack of challenge -- the skies opened up and it rained really, really hard -- oh - well -- its the Camino, I did not even put my pack cover on -- you get wet -- then you dry.

Seeing Santiago in the distance -- wow -- this short journey was coming to an end -- but life's journey -- well -- continues -- how cool is thats.

After getting lost in the city (that happened to me quite often) -- guess I should pay better attention to where I am going (like that is going to happen -- too busy rubber necking all of the sites) -- so finally roll into the plaza -- looking for my wife -- and there she was!

We attended Noon Mass in the Cathedral -- it was breathtaking -- I did drop off the Walnuts given to me from the Old Cow Guy when the Collection Guy came along (with a slight of hand along with some Euros) -- we walked around the old town -- had some chow and a cold beer -- Oh and we went to the Pilgrim's Office to check in and check out -- had to get that last stamp -- my feet would have never forgiven me had I not done that.

Tomorrow we head to Finisterra -- but we are driving and then heading back to Brussels -- will be weird to not walk.

This has been fun -- thanks to you all for allowing me to share with you my ramblings -- looking forward to doing this again -- but next time -- at a slower pace -- with my wife.

Oh -- and for those that are curious -- I Got the best hug you could ever ask for in Santiago! -- and Yep -- I Stunk!

Buen Camino!
Thank you for you report, what a wonderful journey! Glad your wife hugged you no matter how much you stunk. lol :)

It's been great reading your daily posts, Grogan!. I am happy for you and wish you Buen camino! in your life after the pilgrimage.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well said. Congratulations! Enjoyed reading your updates along the Way. I start my Camino on 1st May and with my fear of heights reminds of the feeling I had when I did a sponsored parachute jump!!

Beautifully and movingly written.

All your postings have, by turns, been both entertaining and informative.

And we have been with you each day of your camino.

Grogan, thank you and farewell until the next time!
Thank you so much!

Grogan, Congratulations!
I start my first Camino in August. Your posts were beautifully written and so wonderful to read.
THANK YOU!
Dan
Thanks Dan -- enjoy the adventure and I wish you a great Camino -- for me it was -- the righ thing at the right time -- will do it again in a year or so , but with my better half!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Not having completed my camino yet (Sept/Oct 2015) I have been following this thread with real interest.
I've really enjoyed the serious and the humorous side of your daily blog. Have a safe forward journey.
Thanks -- it has been fun and more --

@Grogan I only discovered your posts recently but have now searched out and read them - loved your journey, very entertaining. It will be good to see you back on the trail and I hope you stay involved on this forum
Thanks Kanga -- and will stay connected --this forum was so very helpful -- next Camino in a year or so with my much better half -- and at a slower pace, since I will finally be retired! : )

Congratulations, Grogan, I have enjoyed reading your posts, there is nothing like reading about someone's first camino. Thanks for sharing it with us.

If I were in Santiago I'd love to meet up and hear all about it. Any other forum members around? John Henry's place is right on the way out for tomorrow's walk. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/forum-meetup-in-santiago-de-compostela.32183/
Thanks Much -- will be doing this again -- was a great adventure at the right time in life!

Congratulations Grogan. I'm sorry that our journey with you has ended. It has been a hoot.
Thanks and btw -- took some pictures of my feet - turned out -- gross -- so will keep them to myself -- but your feet are still very cool!!! This has probablly been the best adventure ever, for a whole variety of reasons! Well do this again with my wife in a year or so -- she is ready and we will be able to take out time -- i will be retired : ).

Congratulations on your Camino, I have so enjoyed reading your posts and following you along the Way. Makes me want to do a second camino.
Thanks -- go for it -- I am -- but this time with my wife -- Sept 16 hopefully --....

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Grogan, Congratulations!
THANK YOU!
Dan
Thanks Dan -- enjoy the adventure -- it was the best thing I could have done at this point in time and in life!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Really enjoyed reading your daily reports about your Camino Journey. They were so personal, informative, and amusing. Thanks for sharing.
Amy -- has been fun and more --- thanks for following -- this was a pretty cool adventure -- plus I lost 20 pounds in the adventure -- that was cool - at least for an old guy : )

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Congrats. I loved following your posts and thoroughly enjoyed your wry sense of humor.
Thanks much -- has been more than fun -- sense of humor of course is questionable, but my wife tries to keep me straight. : )

Well said. Congratulations! Enjoyed reading your updates along the Way. I start my Camino on 1st May and with my fear of heights reminds of the feeling I had when I did a sponsored parachute jump!!
Take the leap -- it is really only a step -- trust in the reserve -- the Camino well provide!! Enjoy!

Loved reading your adventures AND getting to meet you in Granon! What an awesome time we all had. I consider it a privelige to have met you and I wish you all the very best for your retirement!

That was fun, very different, but fun in Granon -- hope your walk is going well -- I am back at work -- most of the joints are still functional, had to shave off the beard : ( -- good travels back to Australia when the time come! Hope to see you again someday on the Camino or some other distant place.

@Grogan, only managed to catch up with your forum blog yesterday, but very much enjoyed it. I recall you wondering, at the beginning, if your brand of humour would go down all right on this forum. From the responses you have got throughout your Camino, I think you'll agree that the answer was: Yes!!!
Your enthusiasm, and different perspectives, have been great, and are making me look forward to taking my first steps later this year.
Suzanne :)

In fact, looking at your profile, for only 69 postings you have received 256 'likes'!! Way to go!!
S :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@Grogan, only managed to catch up with your forum blog yesterday, but very much enjoyed it. I recall you wondering, at the beginning, if your brand of humour would go down all right on this forum. From the responses you have got throughout your Camino, I think you'll agree that the answer was: Yes!!!
Your enthusiasm, and different perspectives, have been great, and are making me look forward to taking my first steps later this year.
Suzanne :)

Thanks Suzanne -- appreciate the kind words -- looking forward to hearing about your Camino! -- think I am fully readjusted back to the work life and most of the Joints are working fine, only lost one toe nail not three : ) -- (got to take the small wins and run with it) -- Buen Camino

Only just now discovered your postings - GREAT reading -- lots of laughs, but now I want that link to your REAL blog!! ...and Buen Camino for the next journey!
Terry

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back