• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack Size Question

PaulCat

Time of past OR future Camino
June (2015) & June/July (2018)
Seeing the suggestion size ranging from 30-50L, I have my old, very comfortable Kelty Redcloud 5600 backpack from my days of hiking in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Doing the math, it can hold as much as 90L. I know that is at least 2 to 3 times the recommended size. I know I don't need a bag of this size, but I don't want to fork out $100+ for a new one. I can't find a used one that will fit me. Shoot, I am having a hard time finding any bag in general that will fit my at least 24in torso measurement that isn't a bag on the upper end of size. Most bags in the 30-40L range seem to top out around 22 inches.

Should I be worried about having a bag that is too big? Don't worry, I don't plan on brining more stuff simply because I have more space; I know what it is like to travel with too much stuff in a backpack.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Seeing the suggestion size ranging from 30-50L, I have my old, very comfortable Kelty Redcloud 5600 backpack from my days of hiking in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Doing the math, it can hold as much as 90L. I know that is at least 2 to 3 times the recommended size. I know I don't need a bag of this size, but I don't want to fork out $100+ for a new one. I can't find a used one that will fit me. Shoot, I am having a hard time finding any bag in general that will fit my at least 24in torso measurement that isn't a bag on the upper end of size. Most bags in the 30-40L range seem to top out around 22 inches.

Should I be worried about having a bag that is too big? Don't worry, I don't plan on brining more stuff simply because I have more space; I know what it is like to travel with too much stuff in a backpack.

How are you getting to Spain? Obviously you'll need to check it.

Some time the better pack makers offer choices in chest straps. I'd email Gregory tech support and ask about chest strap size. Plus the other big companies. They may have replacements.

Seeing the suggestion size ranging from 30-50L, I have my old, very comfortable Kelty Redcloud 5600 backpack from my days of hiking in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Doing the math, it can hold as much as 90L. I know that is at least 2 to 3 times the recommended size. I know I don't need a bag of this size, but I don't want to fork out $100+ for a new one. I can't find a used one that will fit me . . . .
I'd say use it.

Its too big, you know that. But you are carrying air, it weighs nothing. And if the pack fits you and you can't find anything else, then the choice is made.

My personal choice would be to go to the nearest REI, Moosejaw or similar outfitter and see if they have something that is somewhat smaller and fits. But most modern packs are going to cost a reasonable bit over $100. So if you don't want to spend the $ and if the pack is comfortable, and if you don't mind carrying "air" then go with it. It won't hurt you and it won't cost you.

Yes you will have to check it in baggage, but I think that is made out to be a bigger issue than it really is. I check mine on a fairly regular basis, stuffed inside a duffle. So far, so good.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Certainly a 24 in torso length will put you into the large category for pack fitting, but carrying around 2.6kg of pack will significantly eat into your weight budget however you look at it. I made a similar choice on my first camino, and regretted it. On subsequent pilgrimages I have carried much lighter packs and been much more comfortable.

I'd say use it.

Its too big, you know that. But you are carrying air, it weighs nothing. And if the pack fits you and you can't find anything else, then the choice is made.

My personal choice would be to go to the nearest REI, Moosejaw or similar outfitter and see if they have something that is somewhat smaller and fits. But most modern packs are going to cost a reasonable bit over $100. So if you don't want to spend the $ and if the pack is comfortable, and if you don't mind carrying "air" then go with it. It won't hurt you and it won't cost you.

Yes you will have to check it in baggage, but I think that is made out to be a bigger issue than it really is. I check mine on a fairly regular basis, stuffed inside a duffle. So far, so good.

Thanks for the suggestion. I used the bag to carry around 40+ lbs (18 kgs) before on a multi day trek. I'd never carry that much for the Camino, but seeing that the bag is sized for me, and it is balanced well, even with a very light load, I think I might just go ahead and use it.

I traveled with the bag when I spent a month in France, so I had to check it then. I didn't experience any problems checking the bag then.

Thanks for the suggestion. I used the bag to carry around 40+ lbs (18 kgs) before on a multi day trek. I'd never carry that much for the Camino, but seeing that the bag is sized for me, and it is balanced well, even with a very light load, I think I might just go ahead and use it.

I traveled with the bag when I spent a month in France, so I had to check it then. I didn't experience any problems checking the bag then.
My only hesitation is that the suspension might not sit right if your pack is not fully or at least mostly loaded. I walked in April 2013 with an REI Flash 45. It was great, on the big side, but we were carrying more stuff because it was still pretty cold in Spain. When I started training with it this spring the lifters didn't really lifer because the pack was not full enough. As a result it was hanging off my shoulders more. So even though it was lighter, it was irritating my shoulder(I have some arthritis). I bought an Osperey Kestral 33L at a used gear shop and it is much better. So all this is to say, load up your 90L pack with what you intend to take and walk with it to make sure it will be OK. Liz

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

On the camino as in life whatever happened 'then' is NOT a sure thing for again! Nothing is certain.

On the camino as in life whatever happened 'then' is NOT a sure thing for again! Nothing is certain.
Margaret is right to caution you -- when did you last travel with your pack? Before 9/11?? Before, airlines changed their policies and started charging for checked baggage (and enforcing restrictions on carry-ons? L

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Gear test, gear test, gear test. The knowledge that comes from that, along with weighing the info from those who have gone before you, meshed with your own self knowledge, will give you the answer(s) you seek. There is not one easy answer.

Based on three Caminos: French (2013, 2014) Portuguese (2015), I recommend the smallest rucksack or backpack consistent with the bare minimum amount of stuff you intend to carry. In this regard, consider VERY CAREFULLY everything my colleague "DougFitz" has to offer to us all. Of all the veterans out there, I believe he is the only person to have actually analyzed all the aspects of what and how you pack stuff on a Camino. He has it down to a series of well-developed mathematical formulas. Really, check his postings out.

This said, I have used my Osprey Kestrel 48 liter pack for all my Caminos. I am a large fellow, 5'11" 225 pounds (183 cm, 102 Kg) so all my clothing items are necessarily larger and heavier on an item-by-item basis. This is something seldom considered in making comparisons. When considering advice from this forum, or from any other source, always put the information into the correct context. Compare large persons to large persons and smaller built persons to like sized persons. Do do otherwise could lead to incorrect results.

On completing this third Camino on 10 April, I had a number of take always or "light bulb moments." These are my periodic flashes of "DUH! Now why did I not think of that BEFORE thoughts and reflection." Many of these flashes of brilliance have been made here REPEATEDLY by many pilgrims far more experienced than me. But, here are my flashes relative to pack size only:

1. Allow your pack load volume to determine your pack size, not the reverse. Most folks, including me, have a particular rucksack they like and proceed to fill it so it looks like a proper rucksack. However, by that time you have no doubt packed too much stuff. One size DOES NOT fit all Camino routes or time-of-year requirements. Walking the Camino IS NOT the same as walking across the university campus, or commuting to work on public transit.

2. Wear one complete outfit and pack only one replacement, except for socks and perhaps undergarments. Pack three of those. In fact, consider going "commando" and make do with one pair of zip off synthetic trousers, and only one other shirt, undergarment and sock change. Based on direct experience, I would opt for a third set of shirt and underthings ONLY if you reasonably expect cold and wet conditions. I am NOT referring to the daily Galician rain showers, fog and mist. I AM referring to the days and weeks of continuous wet weather one can encounter, especially on the Frances in April, May, October and November. I have encountered snow at elevations along this route during mid-May in both 2013 and 2014. However, if walking usually drier routes, like the Porto to Santiago stretch, do not take too much.

3. If in doubt, LEAVE IT OUT! Enough said on that point. It rather speaks for itself.

4. Be brutal in cutting weight...see recommendation #3...repeat as necessary. I REALLY, REALLY like Ivar a lot. However, my per Camino costs for his storing items I ship down the road to him is starting to be embarrassing. I, of all people, should know better after three complete Caminos. I suppose I am trying to live up to Albert Einstein's definition of insanity. Some decades ago, in a speech he was quoted as stating that: "(insanity) was doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results..." Well, everyone needs a goal in life...

5. I have come to the PERSONAL CONCLUSION, based on my experiences, expectation, Camino pace and style, that the lightest, best fitting rucksack of about 35 liters is a good target size, FOR ME. DougFitz may take issue with this conclusion, and I respect his opinion. However, you need to also consider that I am unable to stay in albergues; (a) I snore and am being considerate, and (b) I catch respiratory crud very easily. So, I no longer carry a sleeping bag, and I stay in hostels. However, I have recently found a very lightweight, rectangular, microfiber sleeping bag liner, with a full zipper...but I digress...I suppose it could do double duty as a uber large bath towel in a pinch.

Last year I bought such a lightweight pack online in France. It is made of ripstop nylon, has an internal aluminum frame and weighs just UNDER one-kilo empty. That is ONE-HALF the empty weight of my beloved Osprey Kestral 48. It is made by a firm called Elementerre. Their web site is: www.elementerre.fr. Click on "Products/Bags/Arenal 35" to see the pack I bought. However, I have NOT YET USED THIS RUCKSACK on Camino yet. I hope to do so later this summer on the Camino Ingles with "BiarritzDon" and friends. However, as soon as I am medically cleared to do so, I have this rucksack loaded with a 15-pound bag of kitty litter (in a bin bag to contain dust) for training walks. My personal goal is to meet or surpass (downward) the much-vaunted 10 kg rule.

6. Bottom line, IMHO less is more when walking the Camino. You don't NEED whatever "just-in-case" item you need. And in the statistically unlikely chance a need did develop, you could either obtain the needed item from a local shop, donation box at an albergue, or from another pilgrim.

I sincerely hope this helps.

@t2andreo makes much of what was a simple attempt to reconcile the two conflicting threads of advice commonly seen here in the forum. The much lauded but never justified 10% 'rule' and a consistent theme that a pack around 30-35 litres is sufficient. Its hardly likely that if a 30 li pack is about right for someone around 60 kg who is carrying 6 kg, it will cope with the 9kg load of someone weighing around 90 kg if they have both achieved the 10% target. Nor is the 90 kg pilgrim necessarily going to find a 6 kg load target easy to achieve. It cuts both ways.

Add to that that most people don't attempt to establish a seasonal context in which they offer advice on what rain gear to carry, whether or not to carry a sleeping bag, etc. I could go on.

In the background is my conclusion borne out of a very limited number of observations about the sort of backpack packing densities that there is a range between packing too little for the volume, up to a point where it is hardly possible to fit anything more in and the pack is a lumpy and misshapen mess. At the lower end, that is about 180gm/li and at the top end around 250 gm/li for camino type loads. That is, one is not carrying relatively heavy items like heavy cooking equipment the like. I use 200 gm/li as a rule of thumb.

And finally, there is the observation that one needs about 25% more volume in spring and autumn, and between 50% and 100% more for winter walks. This comes from a variety of traceable sources.

Distilled down, my advice on the pack volume in litres you need to be considering for a summer walk is half of your ideal walking weight in kilograms. So if your ideal weight, let us say, is 90kg, a start point for thinking about summer packs would be 45 litres. If you add 25% to that for a spring or autumn camino, a good start point would then be around 55-60 li.

Going back to the OP's comment that he carried 18+ kg in a 90li pack weighing 2.6 kg, this is a packing density of 228 gm/li. If the OP were happy that the same packing density could be achieved again, this would indicate that a slightly lower volume pack could be used than my initial rule of thumb indicates.

In all of that, once in the general area, it is then important to actually go and test the actual load in a real pack if you can. Most reasonable outdoors retailers will let you do this, particularly if you prepare the load in packing cells rather than cover the floor of their shop with individual bits of clothing.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Paul,

Given the price range you mention, I would suggest looking for used backpacks. Try the barefoot backpacking gear on FB, the Backpacking Light forum, and Ebay. It may be hard to find your size (I assuming you played in the NBA), but I think it would be worth the effort if you are walking more than a week or so. Those Kelty's are about 5-6 pounds empty. That is about 3-4 pounds heavier than what I carried. Those extra pounds really wear on you after many, many miles.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

p.s.--I'm assuming that you know how to measure your torso, but the "at least" before the 24 inches gives me pause. If you've not actually done the measurement, here is how. http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/backpacks-torso-hip-size.html
This can surprise you. I'm 6'1" and considered pretty tall, but my torso is only 17" (an inch more than my 5'0" wife--we can interchange backpacks, despite the height difference obvious in the photo to the left).

@dougfitz Your analysis is fascinating. Having just completed filing my income taxes, using pencil, paper and (sometimes) the calculator on my phone, I was in the mood for some number crunching. So I checked your guidelines against my experience and found that for a late autumn camino, I pack 210 g/L in a pack with volume that is 55% of my ideal walking weight in kilograms. All of that fits within your suggestions. It also happens to be 11% of my walking weight. In other words I carry 6.5 kg in a 31-L pack.

It seems there might be a variant of camino addiction, in which we can't resist the numbers of the pilgrimage. You and @tyrrek could collaborate in a book "Camino by the Numbers" that would likely be hated by most pilgrims, but a few of us would enjoy it.

I'm only going for a week Saturday to Saturday, only 5 days walking unfortunately, any suggestions. I have a 25l bag (looks smaller just like a day pack, not sure is it really going to hold 25l). I'm currently in my local town to get a sun hat and few more small bits but I'm thinking with a sleeping bag am I really expecting too much if the 25l pack. It was cheap so I don't mind having to upgrade it I'll use it again for something but maybe I'll be carrying too much squashed into a small space! What are ye're thoughts?
Rita

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Do you have Decathlon in Ireland? If yes they do have a 40l backpack that weights only 640g and costs around 20 Euro. I used it in April on my German Camino and found it surprisingly comfortable. 25l is really a tad on the small side. Buen Camino! SY

Wow that is light for size, was the 40l including a detachable front pack or all in one?
I'm not sure can we get that brand here going to pop to an outdoor store now.
Thank you SY always so helpful,
Have a lovely weekend.

Wow that is light for size, was the 40l including a detachable front pack or all in one?
Have a lovely weekend.

If it's this years 40l then it's likely the same one I bought a few weeks back. It's a one piece pack. Decathlon is only sold at Decathlon stores. Almost every European country has them. UK,Spain,France and Italy for sure.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Have a lovely weekend.

No, sadly not a detachable one. One big compartment in the main body and one reasonable sized one in the non-detachable top part. This one: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/arpenaz-40-hiking-backpack-black-orange-id_8332416.html You do need to pack very light so that it is comfortable, preferably less than 8kg max all included! SY

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.