• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Do I need treatment for a forum addiction?

Time of past OR future Camino
VdlP(2012) Madrid(2014)Frances(2015) VdlP(2016)
VdlP(2017)Madrid/Sanabres/Frances reverse(2018)
I have never been remotely drawn to social media. I have never tweated, and I hate Facebook. But I can't leave this forum alone. It's seriously interfering with my preparations for my upcoming camino. Damn it, I should be out doing preparatory training, or sorting out gear, and here I am hitting 'Recent Posts', worried that my wife might look over my shoulder and make disparaging remarks. And how about that little red 'Alerts' flag! Enough said.
The sooner I get my feet, (well ... wheels) on the ground in Spain, the better.
Till then, I'll have to make do with another forum fix.
And I'll just have to hope that everybody totally ignores this post, or that little red flag will ...... Well you get the idea.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Here you go then Suzanne S, this should give a little red flag. Try not to eat it all at once;)
John how many sleeps now before you go on your next camino dosage?

I usually find that that a liberal dose of vino tinto helps any addiction. Bearing in mind the need for moderation in all things in all things and that includes sobriety, oh and don't post when you are on the far side of plastered....

Honestly, you people are not helping me......sigh!
At least you came up with a practical suggestion, Al, but honestly I can't see myself sitting in a circle of fellow sufferers at an FA meeting every Tuesday afternoon, saying, 'Hello, my name is Paul, and I'm a forumaholic'.
Disturbed sleep last night, dreaming about lugging a boulder-sized iPad to Cruz de Ferro, and we know where that came from.
There's only one cure. This is my last post, ......I swear!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Paul, no therapy required. You'll have to just feed the addiction! Or you'll find yourself suffering from withdrawal symptoms...Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Paul:

I hear you my friend. I do not leave until August 19, 2015. I have been reading about this camino for 9 years and decided this year was the time to do it. I too am addicted to the forum and I have to say I am ever thankful to you all for your advice and thoughts.

I have made many posts and each reply has been helpful. I am no longer stressed about my job. I no longer wake up at night thinkimng about work. It has all been replaced with 24/7 thoughts about my camino. I rush to check the forum every day. I may memorize my Brierly Guide before I leav, as I have read it so much!

This addiction is not bothering me at all. The forum gives me hope that strangers can actually be kind, care about one another, and be helpful to each other in a way this world so desperately needs.

My biggest fear is what will I be like during the camini and then afterwards?

Dan

Hi there, we walked part of the Camino last year before a blood clot in the leg stopped our journey flat, in Astorga. Now finding my addiction is not so much the forum as it was pre-Camino, but the actual journey. I think about it all the time, i find that memories just pop in to my head without any prompting, they just seem to be there waiting to come to the surface! I often find myself smiling, just remembering. People said it would get under our skin, and oh they were so right. Literally can't wait to put the pack and boots back on next year, and hit the track again........sigh!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Forumaddicted AND only seven sleeps to go!

I must clarify the position the Friends of Al, find themselves in!!
Sitting in a circle with some special detox conversation!
You can dream on to your next camino!!
Or a one to one personal consultation, well maybe on "Special Camino Topics".
But you may have to resort if you are to have any chance,
to checking the Camino forum calendar for Al's next camino.
Then like me go on the camino at the same time then you might just :
"If you can't beat it just join him" in 29 sleeps on Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Paul,

Just wait until you arrive in Santiago after successfully competing your camino. From then on you truly will be addicted and need a Forum 'fix' at least twice every day. Be prepared!

Buen camino!

MM
Hello MSPATH, are you off on the Camino this year?

O
With luck yes I will be! At 76 hope still springs eternal.

MM
Fantastic. We are in our mid 50's and feel as though our real physically adventurous years have just begun. Maybe when i am 76 i will be able to talk a grandchild or two in to coming with me! Have you walked in different seasons, and if so which have you found the best? We walked in September (Autumn) which was lovely but a little damp.

I met an 83 year old Canadian at the Finisterre lighthouse two years ago. That's the oldest pilgrim I have met. Now that is what I call a Camino Veteran!

John how many sleeps now before you go on your next camino dosage?

Seventeen until I go to Dublin, get my first stamp at the Guinness Visitor thingy place, and eighteen until I leave StJPDP:p

So looking forward to walking the Primitivo as the second part of my Camino this time.

Buen Camino

Seventeen until I go to Dublin, get my first stamp at the Guinness Visitor thingy place, and eighteen until I leave StJPDP:p

So looking forward to walking the Primitivo as the second part of my Camino this time.

Buen Camino
Will look out for you round Palis de Rei or Melide 3rd / 4th June (Blue Osprey forum badge on it) have a great time Buen Camino John. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My life is on hold because of this walk. Six months ago I had never heard of the Camino. Now it regulates everything I do long term, including buying a house. This is sick. I have reserved a corner of my bedroom that accommodates stuff that has anything to do with the Way, i.e., supplies, equipment, packing lists...(not too much as I am traveling light). I have read too many memoirs and have purchased both The Way and Six Ways to Santiago, and watch at least one of them every month or so, including the extras on the DVD. I follow this forum at least daily and often more than that. I live vicariously through pilgrim veterans. It's like I have no life outside of this venture. Since I'm not leaving until June 2016, this is a serious matter. I am addicted obviously but I don't care.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Pere-Paul yes this is most definitely the most addictive social media forum. However it will not cause danger to your health, won't send you to jail or broke nor affect your relationship with others (maybe it - depends upon their ability to put up with your Camino monolog!!). So in short - you now have a widespread family who will laugh with you (even at you); who will love you (and your sense of humour) and offer support and a shoulder to cry on in times of need. A very Buen Camino :):cool::D;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Following the forum addiction it is then possible, when in Spain, to feed one's addiction to Águila Roja. We see from the rtve website that it is back soon..........

Larazet, you'll be glad to know that once you're on the road, the addiction should wane. Instead of thinking about the Camino, you'll be busy DOING it! The best detox ever. Wishing you a buen Camino!
Four sleeps now.... and now my sister who lives locally has broken her leg and is in hospital and having an op tomorrow... testing times, but I am still going!

Four sleeps now.... and now my sister who lives locally has broken her leg and is in hospital and having an op tomorrow... testing times, but I am still going!
"Bummer" - well hopefully the medicos will have her fully repaired in time to walk all or part of the Camino in 2016 - maybe you can back-up as the expert guide!!

Hello Lazaret,

The day before we left to travel to Europe to begin our Camino, after 18 months of training and so much planning, all our children and grandchildren came to stay with us and go to the airport to wave us off. Our son and his young family were moving in to our home while we were away and he had his car packed with belongings as did our daughter and her husband, who had helped him move. When we got up the morning of our departure we found our sons car broken in to, and our daughters car gone! So off we went to to airport with only 2 family members instead of 10, and the police at our house dusting for fingerprints. Their belongings were later found thrown out on the side of the road, and the car found wrecked.

What a way to start our holiday, but we went and walked and found it to be a very special and spiritual time, despite the "testing time" before we left. I really hope it can be as special for you.

Blessings, Furness

My life is on hold because of this walk. Six months ago I had never heard of the Camino. Now it regulates everything I do long term, including buying a house. This is sick. I have reserved a corner of my bedroom that accommodates stuff that has anything to do with the Way, i.e., supplies, equipment, packing lists...(not too much as I am traveling light). I have read too many memoirs and have purchased both The Way and Six Ways to Santiago, and watch at least one of them every month or so, including the extras on the DVD. I follow this forum at least daily and often more than that. I live vicariously through pilgrim veterans. It's like I have no life outside of this venture. Since I'm not leaving until June 2016, this is a serious matter. I am addicted obviously but I don't care.

Ha! We redid our house while I was on Camino Frances September/October 2014 and I now have a Whole Closet dedicated to Camino related books, my pack, sleeping bag, clothing, pictures, etc! Was hoping to go and be done with it but now I am being "called " to VdlP for just after Easter 2016. The Camino (any route) is on my mind constantly! I am afraid I too have become an addict!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ha! We redid our house while I was on Camino Frances September/October 2014 and I now have a Whole Closet dedicated to Camino related books, my pack, sleeping bag, clothing, pictures, etc! Was hoping to go and be done with it but now I am being "called " to VdlP for just after Easter 2016. The Camino (any route) is on my mind constantly! I am afraid I too have become an addict!
Ah, but an organised addict. That's a whole new category. I won't let my wife read your post.

Awesome. Your devotion is inspiring. I may need to reconsider the need for a linen closet.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.