• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Washing the clothes and washing urself....

Darren John

Hello Community,

I am buzzing with the thoughts of my upcoming Camino but still unsure bout best ways to wash my clothes and myself? Is it best for an all purpose soap bar or even a soap liquid? I've read a number of posts on this and really want to save weight but also say some what fresh! lol Is it best to buy now and test or best to buy when over there? also do some albergues have machines to wash clothes and are these charged or free to use?

Any help would be great!!

Many Thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think liquid is better. I use shampoo or liquid body soap for my clothes. I wore my socks and underwear into the shower and washed them there. I mostly saved up my other clothes for albuergues with washing machines and dryers or centrifuge machines. If they had the machine they had the soap. I had some soap on my when I started out and when it ran out I started taking travel sizes from hotels and hostels. Some people swear by bar soap but I had a hard time with it as the wet weather meant it was mushy all the time. I also carried a pack of face cleansing towelettes that I could wash my face with and the pink bits if I didn't want to take a full on shower.
Many places have hand washing stations set up and people carry a peg or two to hang their things, or they lay them over the radiator at night to dry them.
The washers and dryers cost around 3 euro each load, or often you can pay the hospitalero/a 6 euro to do your load. Ask when you check in.
I never had a problem with clean clothes or clean body. No worries. Packing light is the most important thing. Remember there are always pharmacies where you can buy what you need.

My camino isn't for a year, but I have been testing things now. There is a company called "Lush" that makes shampoo and body bars.
I'm in the US, but I found online that they have a store in the UK. https://www.lush.co.uk/products/shampoo-bars
Not all the smells are "girly". They have scents for men. It is very portable. I've been testing mine and it could be used for hair, body and clothes.
You could also go generic and use a multipurpose bar. I'd personally worry about the liquid leaking in your bag on your journey though.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
There is a company called "Lush" that makes shampoo and body bars.
I'm in the US, but I found online that they have a store in the UK. https://www.lush.co.uk/products/shampoo-bars
Not all the smells are "girly". They have scents for men. It is very portable. I've been testing mine and it could be used for hair, body and clothes.

My wife got me an all-purpose bar from Lush, and I can confirm it was 1) not too girly, and 2) effective for hair/body/clothes. My only complaint was that after two weeks I was rather sick of the scent being on everything; I think I subconsciously associated it with being worn out at the end of the day but still having to do laundry before I could relax ;)

Whatever you decide to use, testing at home first is always a good idea. I took one bar of Dr Bronner's cut in half. I kept a half in my "shower bag" and a half in the side pocket of my pack for taking into public bathrooms, as there was often no soap in them. The bars did tend to get mushy, but they lived in their own baggy so I didn't care. Traveling with liquid has never worked well for me, but apparently others have had happier experiences with doing that.

Test first.
I packed a travel size hand lotion and then happened to test it.
It smelled terrible and quite strong.
I threw it out and packed a different one.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Whatever you decide to use, testing at home first is always a good idea. I took one bar of Dr Bronner's cut in half. I kept a half in my "shower bag" and a half in the side pocket of my pack for taking into public bathrooms, as there was often no soap in them. The bars did tend to get mushy, but they lived in their own baggy so I didn't care. Traveling with liquid has never worked well for me, but apparently others have had happier experiences with doing that.
Good idea! Until you wrote that I had forgotten how strange (and revolting) it was to NEVER find soap and towels in Spanish restrooms. I have lots of little hotel soaps and I think I will take a few.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What is the best way to cut soap?

I was thinking that instead of cutting a big bar of Dr Bronners in half that I would like to cut it into 6 or 8 travel size slices but I don't want to waste a lot of soap by sawing it and ending up with a lot of shavings that go to waste. Will a hot knife cut through soap? Or is there some other technique?

I figured the smaller bars would allow me to end up with less 'mushy' soap that becomes a mess.

Well I happened to drive by Lush on my way home from lunch and stopped in to check it out. I bought a bar (and a bar of conditioner). I will test it out and see if it is do-able. If so it is great as it is very light and easy to carry and smells wonderful!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello Community,

I am buzzing with the thoughts of my upcoming Camino but still unsure bout best ways to wash my clothes and myself? Is it best for an all purpose soap bar or even a soap liquid? I've read a number of posts on this and really want to save weight but also say some what fresh! lol Is it best to buy now and test or best to buy when over there? also do some albergues have machines to wash clothes and are these charged or free to use?

Many Thanks
In 2014 I used small hotel-size bars of body soap that I stored in a tamper-proof pill bottle, 1 3/4" dia. x 3" long (4.5 cm dia. x 7.6 cm long). This way the wet bar will sit upright and not stick to the round container. (You can cut off the tamper-proof catch if you like.) In most shower stalls I was able to rest this soap container and my small shampoo bottle on the faucets, instead of having to set it on the floor . Don't forget to take your money into the shower with you unless you have someone to guard it.
For laundry detergent I brought powdered detergent in the same type of pill bottle. With very cold water, the powder did not readily dissolve, but I had no problem with getting my clothes clean. I'm going back in April, and I may bring some liquid detergent this time.
I don't agree with those who wash their clothes in the shower as it uses additional warm water that might be needed by the next user, and also takes up valuable shower time. (I guess that's okay if you are staying in a hotel, or have a private room with a shower.)

Spain makes some of the best soap in the world. Castile soap has become a generic term for the purest best quality soap - but it did originate in Castile! So don't obsess, you can always replace along the road.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Kanga is right (as she always is!) that the soap generally available in France and Spain is fantastic quality and cheap, so no need to carry any all the way from home. When using bar soap, I wrap the wet bar in a cotton handkerchief or microfiber washcloth after use. It absorbs a lot of the excess moisture and stops the bar turning to mush, and you can scrub yourself with the soapy cloth

Shampoo. Plain and simple. Shampoo washes everything. Hair, body and handwash clothing.

Almost all albergues (that i have stayed in) had washing machines and dryers. Some provide soap for free, others you buy it for around €0,50. You never have to bring your own soap for machine washing.
Some albergues dont let you use the washingmachine yourself, but they will do your laundry for you. Very nice option i always use :)

Almost everywhere it costs about 3 euros to wash and 3 euros to dry. Too expensive? Find a fellow pilgrim who also needs to wash clothes to share the cost. There are always people around that also need to do laundry.

Last edited:
What is the best way to cut soap?

I was thinking that instead of cutting a big bar of Dr Bronners in half that I would like to cut it into 6 or 8 travel size slices but I don't want to waste a lot of soap by sawing it and ending up with a lot of shavings that go to waste. Will a hot knife cut through soap? Or is there some other technique?

I figured the smaller bars would allow me to end up with less 'mushy' soap that becomes a mess.
I cut in half with an ordinary sharp kitchen butcher knife. I didn't cut any smaller, so don't know if that would work. It was no trouble at all and halves were what I wanted.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good idea! Until you wrote that I had forgotten how strange (and revolting) it was to NEVER find soap and towels in Spanish restrooms. I have lots of little hotel soaps and I think I will take a few.
Others may disagree with me, but I find it a bit harsh to see the word ‘revolting’ used 'to never find soap and towels in Spanish restrooms.’ Do you speak of Spain in general? Because I don’t think that was my experience. As to whether there was soap and towels in all the restrooms along the Camino, I don’t recall, but I rather doubt it *** …. After all, pilgrims are advised to always have a stash of tp with them because a steady supply of that cannot be guaranteed. And when one considers the cost of maintaining flush toilets for, what ….upwards of 250,000 pilgrims a year, the additional cost of supplying soap and towels would seem prohibitive. Speaking of toilets, of the 42 days I spent on the Camino I can honestly say that I never once encountered a restroom that was not clean - it may have lacked soap and towels, and even tp, but it was clean. The only restroom I encountered that was in need of attention was in the Barcelona airport when I was there for my early morning return flight, and I’m pretty sure that restroom was supplied with soap and towels.

*** And it’s not because I am in the habit of not washing my hands post restroom, because I am. Perhaps we have to advise pilgrims to not only carry a supply of tp, but also a supply of soap …. and let their hands air dry.

I think that one clearly falls into the category of overthinking. Take something with you, anything, and figure it out. It will not kill you not to get your clothes 100% clean, nor to carry an extra 50 grams of weight. Now, buying in Spain : not unless you want to carry 1.5l. of soap with you, or take 10% of it and bin the rest. Oh, as for Lush bars: in Canada, almost 20$ a bar. I would do 90 loads of laundry with Tide Pods for that price.

Lush bar, 1.9 oz. $11.95 (mall store)
Dr. Bonner's, 5oz. $4.75 (Target)

My choice is Dr. Bonner's!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
IMG_0806.jpg Norit Viaje for €2.50
jabon-lagarto-envase-400-gr.jpg Lagarto for €0.35
Both bought locally in Spain and work well in cold water.
Dr. Bronners in liquid form does not work well in cold water, (which all albergue sinks have) it clouds up and never really rinsed out that well.

Hello Darren John,
Some good advice already given above. I would like to offer something for you to consider,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, try getting into the mindset of aiming to have your clothes washed to a level of cleanliness known as "Camino Clean";)

You'll know you are aiming too low when you walk, eat and drink alone when you don't want to:eek:.

Buen (happy-laundering) Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ha ha, "Camino clean", great expression. I'd walked on from my walking family and arrived in Sahagún a day ahead, planning on a rest day. I met Thomas in a bar the next day. Even though we were outside he said "you smell different, have you been washing".

Very similar to sailing trips. You soon learn to lower your expectations and when someone's had a shower at a marina they stink the boat out when they get back.

Others may disagree with me, but I find it a bit harsh to see the word ‘revolting’ used 'to never find soap and towels in Spanish restrooms.’ Do you speak of Spain in general? Because I don’t think that was my experience. As to whether there was soap and towels in all the restrooms along the Camino, I don’t recall, but I rather doubt it *** …. After all, pilgrims are advised to always have a stash of tp with them because a steady supply of that cannot be guaranteed. And when one considers the cost of maintaining flush toilets for, what ….upwards of 250,000 pilgrims a year, the additional cost of supplying soap and towels would seem prohibitive. Speaking of toilets, of the 42 days I spent on the Camino I can honestly say that I never once encountered a restroom that was not clean - it may have lacked soap and towels, and even tp, but it was clean. The only restroom I encountered that was in need of attention was in the Barcelona airport when I was there for my early morning return flight, and I’m pretty sure that restroom was supplied with soap and towels.

*** And it’s not because I am in the habit of not washing my hands post restroom, because I am. Perhaps we have to advise pilgrims to not only carry a supply of tp, but also a supply of soap …. and let their hands air dry.
I don't just mean on the Camino. I mean no soap or towels in restrooms in Spain in almost all public restrooms. I find this most disturbing in restaurants. I find it revolting. Disgusting. How is that harsh? Do you know how many times a day you touch your face? 20 - 100 times an hour depending on the person. Traces of fecal matter spread germs that cause a host of illness and disease. Can you imagine the cost to the health of 250,000 pilgrims a year? Not to mention locals? If one has not washed one's hands after using the toilet the bacteria isn't limited to the bathroom door. Consider everything the pilgrim touches after leaving the bathroom. The tables and chairs and doors that will be touched by every pilgrim who follows. A bathroom that lacks soap and TP is NOT a clean bathroom, whether you can see it with the naked eye or not.
This will be my 11th trip to Spain. I love the country and the people and I have been all over it and spent considerable time there. This trip I will be there for three months. That doesn't mean it is perfect.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
"Washing the clothes and washing urself"
Yes, both is recommended.

I don't just mean on the Camino. I mean no soap or towels in restrooms in Spain in almost all public restrooms. I find this most disturbing in restaurants. I find it revolting. Disgusting. How is that harsh? Do you know how many times a day you touch your face? 20 - 100 times an hour depending on the person. Traces of fecal matter spread germs that cause a host of illness and disease. Can you imagine the cost to the health of 250,000 pilgrims a year? Not to mention locals? If one has not washed one's hands after using the toilet the bacteria isn't limited to the bathroom door. Consider everything the pilgrim touches after leaving the bathroom. The tables and chairs and doors that will be touched by every pilgrim who follows. A bathroom that lacks soap and TP is NOT a clean bathroom, whether you can see it with the naked eye or not.
This will be my 11th trip to Spain. I love the country and the people and I have been all over it and spent considerable time there. This trip I will be there for three months. That doesn't mean it is perfect.
You've raised some very good points. I guess a person can be vigilant about his own cleanliness but he can't control the cleanliness of others. Don't know what any one person can do here about this situation.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You've raised some very good points. I guess a person can be vigilant about his own cleanliness but he can't control the cleanliness of others. Don't know what any one person can do here about this situation.
Carry a sliver of soap in your pocket ;)

Lush bar, 1.9 oz. $11.95 (mall store)
Dr. Bonner's, 5oz. $4.75 (Target)

My choice is Dr. Bonner's!
I am 51 years old and Dr Bonner's breaks me out. Very waxy.
I don't mind spending 12 dollars on shampoo to last me 5 weeks. That seems like a great bargain to me. It is certainly far cheaper than the shampoo I use at home!

Well I happened to drive by Lush on my way home from lunch and stopped in to check it out. I bought a bar (and a bar of conditioner). I will test it out and see if it is do-able. If so it is great as it is very light and easy to carry and smells wonderful!

I hope it works well for you! I bought "Godiva" which has conditioner in it and I was very pleased with the results.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I hope it works well for you! I bought "Godiva" which has conditioner in it and I was very pleased with the results.
I looked at Godiva - loved the scent - but am planning to wash my clothes in it too and the salesperson said she thought it might make my clothes a little oily feeling. So I just bought the conditioner as well. I think I got something called Karma Kumba...? Does that sound right?

I looked at Godiva - loved the scent - but am planning to wash my clothes in it too and the salesperson said she thought it might make my clothes a little oily feeling. So I just bought the conditioner as well. I think I got something called Karma Kumba...? Does that sound right?
That does sound right. I'll have to look into that one as well. I needed conditioner and didn't want to get it separately, but maybe when this one runs out I'll try the one your trying. I'm also considering something that isn't so "scented" for my clothes. (I want scented for my hair and body though.) I have another year until I leave - lots of time for me to figure out what I want to bring.

Amigo, you have just made an indisputable case for not bothering to wash your hands. After all what is the point of practising sensible hygiene if the everything you encounter is smeared with the faeces of others.

I carry an anti-bacterial gel and use that when I wish to be confident that the hands I am about to eat with are sanitary.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I too carry the gel in my pocket along with TP and a plastic bag. These items are for impromptu stops. For planned visits I grab the little bag with soap from an outer pack pocket and use a bandana for a towel. That is as much control that I have regarding hygiene.

As for the food preparers, I have no control over them, therefore I do not waste my energy giving their habits any thought at all.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Amigo, you have just made an indisputable case for not bothering to wash your hands. After all what is the point of practising sensible hygiene if the everything you encounter is smeared with the faeces of others.

I carry an anti-bacterial gel and use that when I wish to be confident that the hands I am about to eat with are sanitary.

I'm with Tincatinker on this one. Anti bacterial gel if necessary. Btw I really think we generally get more ill the latest decennia because we are too clean and we are getting resistant for certain bacteria.

I am anti anti-bacterial gel and soap. My X is a surgeon and my father in law was a GP and is now an ER doc they have both left me with a loathing for that stuff. Use of it is creating a super bacteria that nothing will be able to kill. Simple soap and warm water or alcohol foam/wipes will kill just about anything without teaching it new tricks. A certain amount of fecal bacteria is unavoidable and actually strengthens the immune system. Basic hygiene reduces the spread of more serious viral and bacterial pathogens. I have no problem paying for the use of a toilet on the Camino, business owners should do what they must, obviously. But a clean bathroom with soap for employees and patrons is a fundamental part of running any food or beverage related business.

Hello Community,

Many Thanks
I bought a liquid all purpose soap. It washes you, your clothes and fruit. It is a bit heavy at first but its a decreasing weight. I still had a small taste left when I got home but then, if there was bar soap available at the sinks for hand washing clothes, I used that. I seldom used washing machines, went for the method that was good enough for my Grannie. Besides, if you cant get all the stains out, who cares, its the camino, not a Saturday night on the town. You can buy it in Cotswold stores for a few quid

I too carry the gel in my pocket along with TP and a plastic bag. These items are for impromptu stops. For planned visits I grab the little bag with soap from an outer pack pocket and use a bandana for a towel. That is as much control that I have regarding hygiene.

As for the food preparers, I have no control over them, therefore I do not waste my energy giving their habits any thought at all.
I carry a gel bottle designed with a caribiner attached. Hangs from my hiking vest at all times. I have a small microfibre towel that fits in a back pocket of the vest. If no soap and towels available, I always have my own. Dont know which pound shop my wife found the bottles in but they are great. Refillable too

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello Community,

Many Thanks

I just took shower gel, not many places have washing machines, wash things in shower or sink, we took safety pins to pin washing to side of rucksack, with the heat the washing was dried in no time. Have a great time

Hello Community,

Many Thanks

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This will be my first camino so take my input in that light. I will use a concentrated hiking shampoo for washing and handwashing clothes. I am taking that because I plan to camp out somtimes and it is biodegradeable. If you buy good quality bespoke hiking clothes thay often have integral hanging/drying loops sewn in, so look for thise when buying, so no need for pegs ( except for your smalls - 3?)

That's not my experience. Spanish toilets seem in general cleaner than those in France and the UK, but maybe on the Camino Francés the soap and towels disappeared so quickly that in the end no-one put them in the toilets.

My choice is shampoo for me and my clothes. Small piece of soap for socks and undies daily. A small bottle of hand gel as my hands get dry if using some soaps and it is useful when there isn't soap provided, or it has all gone.
Machine wash - the soap has been included in the price and is often over generous :).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

I ended up getting a bar of soap on the Camino and using that to handwash clothes. My handwashing wasn't great, however, so if there were washing and/or drying machines available I would invariably use them. The prices can vary, but you're probably looking at 3 to 4 euros each to use a washing machine and a drying machine. Depending on the albergue, you may be able to give the money to the hospitelero/hospitalera and they will do it all for you. In the albergue I stayed at in Los Arcos the hospitalera only charged me 50 Euro cents and she did the washing for me - all I had to do was hang it out on the balcony afterwards.

After washing my things in sinks for three weeks straight on the CF, I took advantage of an offer to share a washing machine and dryer and threw all the dirty clothes I had into the washer. They came out smelling nice and clean, they were fluffy and soft from the dryer.

But imagine my horror to realize that all my socks had shrunk (I had totally forgotten that they were partly wool).

Anyway, I took travel size bottles of shower gel, shampoo and conditioner (who doesn't want luxurious hair crammed under a rain hat or a baseball cap??). I took a small bottle of biodegradable detergent for washing clothes. I had enough detergent but had to resupply on shampoo along the way. No big deal. You can easily find this stuff along the way, sometimes freebies that pilgrims have left behind.

I tried carrying a bar soap I got along the way (it smelled sooooooo nice) but it became too messy and I soon went back to my liquids in a little squeeze bottle. You can take a shower every day in each albergues so you never really get THAT bad.

Buen Camino

I tried carrying a bar soap I got along the way (it smelled sooooooo nice) but it became too messy and I soon went back to my liquids in a little squeeze bottle. You can take a shower every day in each albergues so you never really get THAT bad.

Yes that was actually my experience too, now that I think about it. The bar soap did get very messy. The squeeze bottle option sounds like the better one.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
[...]Can you imagine the cost to the health of 250,000 pilgrims a year? Not to mention locals? If one has not washed one's hands after using the toilet the bacteria isn't limited to the bathroom door. Consider everything the pilgrim touches after leaving the bathroom. The tables and chairs and doors that will be touched by every pilgrim who follows. [...].
Gets me worried every time someone says "buen provecho" for hoping to enjoy a pilgrim's menu:eek:

A trick with bar soap. Take it out the package when you first buy it and store it in a ventilated space. The longer it ages, the lighter it gets and the longer it lasts. Bar is the way to go. With liquid soaps you are just carrying unnecessary weight. As you can see, I don't need to carry a separate shampoo.

For wachine machine I carry a few "pods" with me, available in a a number of P&G brands. I bring 3 or 4 in a pill bottle from the drug store. For hand laundry: I have tried different things every time, from liquid CampSuds, to Sunlight bar and thin paper sheets of soap. The last ones are useless, the bar gets messy. Campsuds was the 1st I used and the system I prefer so far. For body and hair: option A: nothing for washing but some conditioner: water and a good scrub. Never use shampoo at home (curly hair does not like shampoo) - Option B: use the suds from your shampoo to wash the rest of your body.

A bar of all purpose olive soap is what I take that I use for head and body.
One bar will last the entire camino, easy to carry, and it does not leak (keep it inside a small zip lock plastic bag)

I take a second laundry bar for the clothes - there is a brand you can buy in Europe that takes most stains out at the same time

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I haven't read all the replies (who would have thought there would be so much information on soap?!) I used liquid soap, and also carried a little bottle of liquid clothes soap, from a camping store. Personally I don't like 'bar' soap, it ends up all slimy and seems to infiltrate other stuff. I packed all of my gear in various zip lock type bags that you squeeze the air out of and it all compacts down, and my toiletries were in a bag that unravels and hangs in the shower, my buddies commented that my backpack was the tardis from Dr Who! I weigh 52kgs, I never weighed my bag...in fact never packed it until I was in Spain...but a few people guessed it was around 11-12kg. I did my washing as soon as I finished walking, some Albergues offer a laundry service, or you do it yourself, but I hate smelling like the rear of a camel so I guess I averaged a clothes wash every 2-3 days.

This is the very best of hand washing soaps:
http://www.amazon.fr/Génie-Lessive-Express-main-frotter/dp/B00LHTUYHC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428171211&sr=8-1&keywords=genie+main

Unfortunately, it is available only in France, and a whole tube weighs a bit (200 g plus the tube). It gets clothes clean when you do not think it is possible! I like it well enough to carry the extra weight (cut off more of my toothbrush??).
This soap sounds wonderful, but 12 Euros, plus another 23 Euros for shipping .... I think I will pass. But if I ever come across it I am buying! No scrubbing? I am in.

On a month long backpacking trip to Belize last summer my daughter took her soap loosely folded inside a piece of aluminum foil. She found it kept the soap self contained, keeping other items in her kit "soap free" but eliminated the need to put the wet slimy bar into a plastic bag or soap container where it would stay wet and sloppy. The soap in the foil did not "leak", it allowed the soap to dry naturally protected by the crinkles in the foil reducing the surface contact between the foil and the soap. This allowed more airflow around the bar, and any wet soap scum completely dried in between uses with minimal but DRY residue on the foil. Simply allow the bar to drip dry in the shower and place the damp bar on the foil then fold the ends over to securely encase the bar, no need to make it an airtight seal, better to leave air passages and crinkles to promote slow drying but make sure it is wrapped well enough to not contaminate your other belongings ... and avoid putting it in a plastic baggie because that might not allow it to dry effectively in between uses although used in tandem with the foil may be ok, we just haven't tried that. I have decided to abandon my tiny soap dish in favour of this method ... saves a bit of weight, makes your soap last longer, you don't have to deal with slimy gooey soap bits and it just seems a better option all around ... win/win

Last edited:

€83,-
A couple of blocks of the real savon de Marseille (made with olive oil) is the best all-purpose soap you can find, plus keep a good look out for washing machine opportunities !!!

But the proper savon de Marseille can be very hard to find, even in France, and the ersatz kitchen soap/tourist soap versions will be not much better than what you can find locally prior to departure ... :(

On a month long backpacking trip to Belize last summer my daughter took her soap loosely folded inside a piece of aluminum foil. She found it kept the soap self contained, keeping other items in her kit "soap free" but eliminated the need to put the wet slimy bar into a plastic bag or soap container where it would stay wet and sloppy. The soap in the foil did not "leak", it allowed the soap to dry naturally protected by the crinkles in the foil reducing the surface contact between the foil and the soap. This allowed more airflow around the bar, and any wet soap scum completely dried in between uses with minimal but DRY residue on the foil. Simply allow the bar to drip dry in the shower and place the damp bar on the foil then fold the ends over to securely encase the bar, no need to make it an airtight seal, better to leave air passages and crinkles to promote slow drying but make sure it is wrapped well enough to not contaminate your other belongings ... and avoid putting it in a plastic baggie because that might not allow it to dry effectively in between uses although used in tandem with the foil may be ok, we just haven't tried that. I have decided to abandon my tiny soap dish in favour of this method ... saves a bit of weight, makes your soap last longer, you don't have to deal with slimy gooey soap bits and it just seems a better option all around ... win/win

Great idea - thanks - must try this!

To dry bar soap, I use a reusable mesh produce bag. Just pop the soap in and hang it on the line to dry along with your laundry and you never have to mess with a wet gooey bar.

41leesf2s9L._SX395_.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Community,

Many Thanks

Hi Darren!

Initially I purchased a soap bar exclusively to wash my clothes, but the smell of the soap was not good and also the clothes were kind of "hard" after washing with that soap bar.
So, I started using my Dove soap to wash the clothes, and also to wash myself... Perfect! all you need is a Dove soap and you can wash clothes and also take a shower and maybe even your hair.
You can find the Dove in most big cities around the Camino,
You will pay from 0.90 cents to 1.50 euros for 1 Dove bar.

Buen Camino!

Any soap will do for laundry (shampoo,body wash, camp soap etc). A sink is always available -often outdoors- at albergues. Use safety pins to hang clothing. They don't lose their grip even in winds and are light and compact to carry.

Wow, talk about over-thinking a subject. Soap? o_O
The Camino Frances is neither a backpacking trip, nor a camping trip. On both my Caminos I never had a problem being able to take a good shower everyday, and find at least a sink in an albergue to wash my clothes, and now and then I would give my trail shoes a good washing down (they dried quick...another advantage of wearing non-waterproof trail shoes ;)).
So I suppose there is no excuse for a pilgrim to smell funky. Yet still there were those that did. :confused:
You can buy soap when you get to France or Spain. It works perfectly fine to wash your body and your clothing with. You're only doing it for about one month. Honestly, there are a lot cooler things about the Camino to concentrate on than soap. :D

Quentin Crisp, the Naked Civil Servant, opined that dusting was unnecessary, a good cologne was a good as a bath and that offence could only be given to those who would not stand down-wind of themselves. This last has encouraged me to carry soap on Camino - just in case the wind changed...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Community,

Many Thanks

Darren:

Fels-Naptha bar soap for clothes and Dove bar soap for me. After a few weeks, no matter what you do, you kind of have a Camino smell too you. I like to keep a shirt in reserve and break it out after a few weeks with that downy freshness smell ^^.

Ultreya,
Joe

Quentin Crisp, the Naked Civil Servant, opined that dusting was unnecessary, a good cologne was a good as a bath and that offence could only be given to those who would not stand down-wind of themselves. This last has encouraged me to carry soap on Camino - just in case the wind changed...

I indeed find that after a few days on the Camino my 'wind' most definately changes ;)

A trick with bar soap. Take it out the package when you first buy it and store it in a ventilated space. The longer it ages, the lighter it gets and the longer it lasts. Bar is the way to go. With liquid soaps you are just carrying unnecessary weight. As you can see, I don't need to carry a separate shampoo.
Great idea! Age the soap for lightness. Bad Idea to shave my head so I save on the weight of shampoo....wait....maybe....

€60,-
Hello Community,

Many Thanks
I carried a 3 gallon ziplock and some powder, very concentrated, soap. A few albergues do have machines and it is a wonderful treat to be able to get clothes really clean. Some are free and some cost. Worth the $.

I just ordered a shampoo bar from Lush to try out. I have a combo of a sensitive scalp and crazy hair, so finding shampoo that works for me can sometimes be a challenge. But if the Lush shampoo bar works for me, that will be fabulous - not only for the Camino, but for general travel and dealing with the 3-1-1 rule for liquids for airplane carry on luggage.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The clothes you wear don't really get dirty. A day of sweat and perhaps some mud at the trouser cuffs. Rinsing in clean water ... no soap ... renders the clothes at least wearable for another day. I've done hiking trips for twelve days with a shirt worn every day with the pack and rinsed daily, often in icy glacier milk, and a shirt worn evenings around camp. And while the day shirt wasn't april fresh it wasn't stinky either.

Its the socks that are hard to get clean. I took three pair and wore each for two days, at which point they are full with sweat. The hard part then was coordinating end of socks with an albergue where clothes could be washed.

Since I was walking in late fall the worst part was getting stuff to dry. The radiators were draped with socks, towels, and mittens ... which added to the 'aroma' and interfered with the heating.

Most of the Xunta albergues in Galicia had soap dispensers that added soap to the wash automatically.

Any place else involved the albergue owner insisting on operating the machinery themselves and soap was included in the wash price.

Its the socks that are hard to get clean. I took three pair and wore each for two days, at which point they are full with sweat.
Oh, man, @whariwharangi, you wear a pair of socks for two days, after which they are full of sweat??!! :eek: I never thought of this when agreeing to share a load of wash with a fellow pilgrim! Would you come 'clean' in a situation like this? :confused: :D

€83,-
Just picturing the scene @whariwharangi, and having a little giggle. :D
I raised three boys...well...I lived thru their teenage years without drawing blood (grandchildren are God's reward for allowing your teenagers to live). One did the sox trick above, wearing the same ones for days. I would find the sox in the corner, whimpering, pleading to be clean again. The shape of his foot was embossed permanently into the tube sox. To this day I cannot walk down the boy's footwear section of Walmart without crying. I know now the hardest part of my Camino will be seeing these poor tortured sox clinging to radiators and clotheslines all around me. Oh the pain.

@november_moon, I love the Liggett Shampoo bars. Try them, too, if you don't get anywhere with Lush. They don't smell perfume-y like the Lush bars, but my hair loves them, especially the Jojoba one, and they've worked great for hand washing everything I've tried (haven't done wool socks yet). Also they're not nearly as chemical-laden as the Lush bars. I've taken to using Liggett as my regular shampoo now.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.