• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue at Embalse de Alcantara closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

george.g

Time of past OR future Camino
French way 10, 11
Norte 12
Vdlp 13
Levante 14
Mozarabe/Malaga 15
Augusta 16
Mozarabe/Almeria 17
Arrived at Cacares today (Las Veletas) to be told that the albergue overlooking the lake is closed for repairs!
So plan accordingly!
I'll go past in the next day or so and if I can I'll check and report
Regards
George
PS So is the fishing lodge Alcantara Pesca

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was the only one in that Albergue in August of 2013....except for a young college girl who was working as hospitalaro. She left about 5 pm and left me a key to lock up when I left in the morning.
I always thought that was an unsafe place for that girl because of the remoteness.
It was a really upscale place...kind of like a 5 star Albergue.

It is a long walk across the busy highway and down a long steep and rocky road toward the reservoir.
I don't think you will want to divert to it if it is closed.
It really is a strange place in a very remote area.
Right after this...I ran into the huge railroad construction that had uprooted the Camino at that time.
It was Sunday and no workers around just miles of disturbed ground, piles of dirt and equipment.
Some Camino signs in piles on the ground.
I had a GPS track on my iPhone and was able to just go generally in the direction of the track..though dirt piles, rubble, etc. I did hit the marked Camino a few miles farther on.

indeed, the Alcantar albergue is closed for renovations (worst time of the year for that, really, when it is at its busiest). Good news is, though, there is a brand new albergue in Cañaveral now!
I was in las Veletas myself only on Saturday, we might have actually met in the camino last week, George!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
indeed, the Alcantar albergue is closed for renovations (worst time of the year for that, really, when it is at its busiest). Good news is, though, there is a brand new albergue in Cañaveral now!
I was in las Veletas myself only on Saturday, we might have actually met in the camino last week, George!

Great news about Cañaveral, Amancio. I stayed in the roadside hostal (maybe named Málaga???) and it was fine, but those who stayed in the little albergue had a rough go of it.

Do you have information on the other albergues turísticos along the Vdlp in terms of opening or closing? It seems like every year some of them close, Fuente de Cantos, Torremejía, Banos de Montemayor, etc, but then they also randomly open up. I do think that based on George´s recent post that the lovely albergue turístico in the old olive farm before Villafranca de los Barros is permanently closed.

Looks like there is a healthy number of pilgrims on the Vdlp this year! Buen camino, Laurie

Hola Laurie!

indeed, I forgot to mention that the municipal in a convent in Fuente de Cantos has reopened this year, so you have two places to stay now. the one in Puebla de Sancho Pérez was closed, now that I remember, chaotic mind now that I am back at work!

It is good to see albergues reopen, but it is also discouraging to see how things have changed in the camino over the years.

Seeing the man in charge in an albergue municipal greet the taxi driver with a firm handshake and big smile, open the taxi boot and pick the "pilgrims" rucksacks himself and bring them into the albergue while the people who came by taxi chat away is still a violent scene to me, I cannot help it.

And seeing two ladies leave the Alcuescar albergue at 7:30 in the morning and bring their rucksacks to a luxury big car round the corner... also such a pity!

And then the hospitalero in Alcuescar tells me that the average donation by pilgrim is just around 4 euro per head, including bed and dinner!!!

Other than that, spring in La Plata is more "spring" than anywhere else in the world!

I staid in this albergue myself back in May 2013 and considering its construction I find it very, very hard to understand that the "Alcantar albergue is closed for renovations".
It"s made of concrete and brick - the most sturdy place I remember. I agree about it being isolated - even the train (on the old branch line) no longer stops at the station about a km from the albergue. Hopefully it will reopen soon, otherwise its a long, long day (30-35 km +) from Carceres (unless you want to break it at Casar de Caceres (about 11 km). It make for a real short day and then a longer day to Canaveral or Grimaldo. Cheers

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Well, Saint Mike II, renovations may be plumbing, windows, who knows... gorgeous place in any case.

Hola Laurie!

Seeing the man in charge in an albergue municipal greet the taxi driver with a firm handshake and big smile, open the taxi boot and pick the "pilgrims" rucksacks himself and bring them into the albergue while the people who came by taxi chat away is still a violent scene to me, I cannot help it.

And seeing two ladies leave the Alcuescar albergue at 7:30 in the morning and bring their rucksacks to a luxury big car round the corner... also such a pity!

And then the hospitalero in Alcuescar tells me that the average donation by pilgrim is just around 4 euro per head, including bed and dinner!!!

Other than that, spring in La Plata is more "spring" than anywhere else in the world!

Hola Amancio,
You have expressed my thoughts very well.
I am greatly saddened by the changes that are occurring. I expect to soon see the little tourist trains running along Camino.

The saddest thing, I think, is the constant promotion of the idea that carrying one's pack is for fools. Actual walking on difficult parts or "boring" stretches is frowned upon and buses and taxis are encouraged.

Much of this attitude is now posted by long time pilgrims as well as those who have never been. I would guess any guilt or regret one might feel is helped by getting others to participate in the same activities.

It is good this thread is in the little read VdlP
Section or the mobs with torches and pitchforks would be howling by now.

Nah, carrying one's pack MAKES the camino! Everything you need, with you. I don!t need to say more, you lot know what it's all about :) as for 'boring' bits..., I don't understand either.
But hey!
I always felt and I wasn't the only one : if you can't carry it in comfort, then you don't need it!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola Amancio,
You have expressed my thoughts very well.
I am greatly saddened by the changes that are occurring. I expect to soon see the little tourist trains running along Camino.

The saddest thing, I think, is the constant promotion of the idea that carrying one's pack is for fools. Actual walking on difficult parts or "boring" stretches is frowned upon and buses and taxis are encouraged.

Much of this attitude is now posted by long time pilgrims as well as those who have never been. I would guess any guilt or regret one might feel is helped by getting others to participate in the same activities.

It is good this thread is in the little read VdlP
Section or the mobs with torches and pitchforks would be howling by now.
Bravo!!!

I walked with a friend who has medical challenges and who wisely chose not to carry her pack. I carried mine and she used Jacotrans. In that case there was no question...she walked...and was definitely a peregrino and not a turistico.
But this taxi business from door to door? And avoiding the boring parts? Oh. My. At the risk being labelled a Camino Snob...well, what's the point? Different intentions, that's for sure.
The low-light of my last Camino was the evening "Pilgrim Mass" (and tour) at San Juan de Ortega...in large part for the entertainment and edification of 2 busloads of fancily-dressed folks from Burgos. We pilgrims who had slogged from Belorado through the snow and freezing slush were outnumbered 100 to 1 and there was no blessing from the Padre...

I went passed the lake this morning and was delighted to find that the fishing hostal was open.
I should have phoned myself and checked from Caceres, but when the hostal owner assured me that "everything closed"
Its called "Alcantara Pesca" 927 090 510.
I told the owner that the guy at Lad Veletas was telling everyone that his hostal was closed!

Be aware rooms are expensive at 25e single and 40 double, so perhaps it might as well be closed.
And to add my twopennyworth to the above posts, in my view some will always take the easy option, ie the "its your Camino" brigade
But there again when "purist" is used as a derogatory term, what the heck.
Regards
George

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I went passed the lake this morning and was delighted to find that the fishing hostal was open.
I should have phoned myself and checked from Caceres, but when the hostal owner assured me that "everything closed"
Its called "Alcantara Pesca" 927 090 510.
I told the owner that the guy at Lad Veletas was telling everyone that his hostal was closed!

Be aware rooms are expensive at 25e single and 40 double, so perhaps it might as well be closed.
And to add my twopennyworth to the above posts, in my view some will always take the easy option, ie the "its your Camino" brigade
But there again when "purist" is used as a derogatory term, what the heck.
Regards
George

Hi, George, thanks for the most recent update in the neverending saga of the Alcantara Pesca, formerly called Lindamar, and after that it had some other name for a while during its operation by a guy from the UK. This isn't cheap, but as private alternatives go, and given the distance from Caceres to Canaveral, for those who don't want to stop in Casar de Caceres it's a good option perhaps.

I wonder how long it will remain in operation, it seems to open, then close, then go up for sale, then repeat the cycle. Wishing the new owners better luck! Laurie

To add to the venting of the attitude changes occurring on the Camino.

The American Pilgrim Facebook site is a constant yapping about how to transport "luggage", "be sure to use bag transport", what albergues "not to miss", take a bus here and over there, "this is a boring section..skip it", etc., etc.
Any post that suggests carrying your own pack if not physically unable or to walk rather than take buses and taxis is immediately denounced as "judgemental" by the torch and pitchfork mob. If you do not agree with them..you are judgemental.
The amount of misinformation posted is astounding. Most new people are just reposting anything they have heard as facts.

Little is said about a pilgrimage. It is simply YOUR camino and MY camino.
It is much the same at the local pilgrim groups.
Woe is us...the end is near!

Hope THOSE folks don't find this thread.:eek:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Perhaps if they do they'll notice that the world is a bigger place than they imagined?? You gotta start somewhere and that's their entry point. Well, just hoping. (I'm American but definitely with you on this one.) :(

Oh Virarani, rest assured it isn't just the Americans!
Ok, quick rant then : last Summer I was walking through France on a pilgrimage with a fellow Camino-ist... We were soooo pleased to meet a couple of young Italian pilgrims, in a campsite, the only ones in weeks and weeks.... They were 'walking' the opposite way, from Italy to Canterbury. Well, it was such a sad and disappointing evening , all they did was complain that there was no easy bag transfer, that the countryside was ever so boring etc etc... They were taking taxis, trains, whatever was available hoping they would quickly get to a 'more interesting part'!!!
We just sat there speechless and quite downhearted actually!
Rant over :oops:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Point taken, Domigee! Thanks for the reality check. ;)
I stayed in Albergue Virgen de Guadeloupe in Ciruena and the very interesting character of a hospitalero there talked about turisticos, athleticos, and peregrinos. He thought the athleticos were the most unfathomable...but having been one in a previous life about 20 years ago I kinda get it. That's one thing that led me in the spiritual direction, in fact. But the turisticos...I have to confess to the very uncharitable wish that they'd stay in a hotel and not take bunk space from folks who slog it out day after day. Selfish, I know. But guess it takes all kinds. Well, they can have a shadow of a 'pilgrim experience' that way...and maybe that will lead them to wanting to try it another way?

I can ignore them when they doing their not walking..not pack carrying activities.
My great problem is the seeming need to encourage new people to do the same.
You would think the had an investment in jacotran and the bus and taxi companies.

I just don't understand the constant promotion of the new attitude.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back