• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Evening Wear

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Space blanket or long johns to sleep in. I wore my ski silks to bed and only needed an extra layer twice.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I suppose the opportunities to wear a tuxedo of an evening would be fairly limited. Maybe not worth taking?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My late autumn/winter tenu de soiree for bed/bunk chic includes a wooly hat with ear flaps. The effect is a cross between Goldylocks grandma and the wicked witch of the west; nevertheless it is a toasty topping for sleeping in any unheated albergue.

A fleece, maybe 2 of them layered (1 mid-weight, 1 lighter weight). The same applies for early morning as well as evening. Just looking at the weather maps last night a second fleece in early May looks like a good idea.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm laughing so hard! When I think about being cold my mind immediately goes to night time in the Albergue! I never needed a jacket anywhere while awake and in the upright position. hahahaha I have a -33 degree Marino long sleeve under layer that I take EVERYwhere with me. When it's chilly this piece is warm and snuggly. Dries very quickly too. Grayland, I needed a good chuckle this morning and I thank you. :)

In May, is it important to have a down jacket in the evening when there is no heat in the Alb?
Maybe not in the albergue, but depending upon where you are a lightweight down jacket (4-5 ounces) could feel quite nice when you are out walking about. I sure appreciated having mine.

They have such lightweight, stuffable jackets now too. My husband and I both bought one for our recent trip to NZ and AU. Folded into it's own pocket.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Slightly off topic....but I got turned away from a restaurant in Leon due to my lack of appropriate dress. I was so embarassed.
I went around the corner and had a flash burger. ☺

Tell all! What were you [not] wearing? What sort of restaurant was it? I would really like to stay in a Parador 1 night but have this nightmare vision of snooty un Camino tourists muttering unkindly at my lack of appropriate dress.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It was a very flash resturant in a hotel ( Hotel Regina?)
I was wearing my dry clothes....
Grey marl quick dry t-shirt. It may or may not have had a olive oil stain on it.
Black leggings
Sandals
And a blue dressy scarf.
And chap stick ☺ So there was so gloss.

I then had to limp back up the stairs. It took ages. I was pretty emotional as my camino had come to an end in Leon due to my injury. So...i had to fight back the tears...

But.....i went onto have a yummy burger with some great staff.
By the end of the night I had laughed it off.

Thanks Lise. Sounds like you were trying to give yourself a bit of a treat. Then to cop that! I've seen tourists in 5* hotel restaurants here dressed a lot worse. There are unenlightened persons (euphemism) like that maitre de all over. I would have balled my eyes out. Good on you for moving on. Ultreia!

I'm sure one of the loveliest things about you is your delicious Wit! Made me smile :)

Thank you @Richard Theil - I love the picture your heading "Evening Wear" conjures up. Please forgive us some levity, I see your original question got at least some sensible replies....

I've always had trouble in Paris and Madrid. Hiking pants and joggers just don't cut it at the Lido. The year I took a black shirt and sandals (I thought quite classy) I was told I looked like a poor Greek peasant.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you @Richard Theil - I love the picture your heading "Evening Wear" conjures up. Please forgive us some levity, I see your original question got at least some sensible replies....

I've always had trouble in Paris and Madrid. Hiking pants and joggers just don't cut it at the Lido. The year I tool a black shirt and sandals (I thought quite classy) I was told I looked like a poor Greek peasant.

Kanga, I travel standby for an airline so they have "regulations" in-case you get put in first class. I always take a pair of black leggins and a black Merino wool sweater. Easy to dress up or down and I add a pair of nice "skiffs" in patent leather. They stuff well and are cheap enough I could even toss them if need be. (I can't believe they said that to you!)

I'm taking a Berghaus Hypertherm hooded jacket this year. They're reversible according to the marketing; one side keeps you warmer by blocking the wind and the other side lets the wind through keeping you cooler. Weighs 210g and packs into the size of a small apple. I also take a lightweight merino jumper around 180g it's nice if you do go for a meal or spend a few days somewhere after the camino and can also be layered with a t-shirt underneath.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Googled images "Greek peasant". Not that bad. Anyway, this gave me the inspiration at least to go wash the crocs I'm packing.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.