• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Backpack/equipment recs for small migraine-prone people?

nangiakki

Time of past OR future Camino
hopefully - Northern Route/Primitivo (2015)
After several physical challenges I am the stereotypical 98 pound weakling. Actually not that weak anymore but still underweight. Ten percent of my body weight would be about 4.5 kg. The weight estimates of some of the lists I’m seeing sound very daunting. I’m wondering what is the least amount of weight I can get away with?
I’m also vertically challenged at 5 ft 2 1/2 inches with a very short torso and have found that a lot of backpacks put pressure on my upper back and shoulders in a migraine-inducing way. Any backpack recommendations for small migraine-prone people?
I am hoping to walk the Northern/Primitivo route this summer. My daughter will be with me for the Primitivo section but I will probably be on my own on the Northern Way.
Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
have found that a lot of backpacks put pressure on my upper back and shoulders in a migraine-inducing way
To prevent that, it is important that the weight of the pack is borne by the waist belt. Use the adjusting straps so that you can slide your hand easily under the shoulder straps. Pull the pack closer to your back or further from it with the adjusting straps to vary the weight on the belt. The pain comes from your shoulders bearing weight. One change of clothes is all you need. Buen camino.

. . . a lot of backpacks put pressure on my upper back and shoulders in a migraine-inducing way. . .
I come here from a wilderness backpacking background (albeit many years ago) and am amazed by the people I meet who do not understand how a backpack actually works. It is, I suppose, understandable that some Pilgrims look at backpacks as not much more than a carry bag. Shoulder and upper back pain are caused by carrying the pack with your back, not your hips. Despite its name, a backpack is actually carried on your hips. The shoulder straps keep it steady, but the hips carry the weight.

Think of a backpack as a machine that you wear. To CARRY cargo it has a bag. To TRANSFER the cargo weight to your hips it must have some sort of internal frame ... there are various frame types, which include flexible sheets, rigid sheets, wire hoops, articulated wire double hoops (x, figure 8, butterfly shapes), or an external frame. Each frame type has its own advantages.

Many small packs do NOT have a frame. AVOID THESE at all cost!!! These are glofied book bags that kids use to carry books short distances.

GENERALLY SPEAKING: The more rigid the frame, the greater the comfort for heavy loads. The more flexible the frame the less load that can be carried. There are other factors, but frame is critical for load carrying.

Most pilgrims carry a very light load. Typically 20# or less. Conseqently a light duty pack with an internal frame is suitable for most pilgrims. The next step is to find the right torso size. Go to a real outdoor store (REI, Moosejaw, etc) and get properly fitted for a backpack. Tell them to put 15# or 20# in the pack while you test it.

Getting the TORSO size is the critical step and that is why you need to go to a good store where they will fit you for a backpack. Yes, just like you get fitted for a dress, you need to get fitted for a backpack. If the frame is doing its job, and the torso length is properly sized, you should feel essentially no weight on your shoulders!!!

You also need to have them teach you how to put on the pack. There is a proper sequence of steps in which strap/belt to adjust first, and which to do last.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Look into packs that are made for children. You are probably about the size my son was for part of our Camino. We just happened upon a kid's backpack at WalMart, of all places, that worked perfectly for him. Now he's getting close to 6 feet, so I doubt he'll be using it again, though! Good luck - you should be able to find something, but it might take some looking. Buen camino!

A lot of framed backpacks might be too long in the back for you even in the Small backsize, but have a look at the Osprey packs, they now do an XS/S size in most models. Also check out the Mira 26 - it is meant to be a shorter back length but might just lift the straps off your shoulders. And with judicious packing 26 litres should be enough. You can hang sandals on the outside, for instance. And it has an air gap to let the breeze at your back while you walk!

You might live close enough to an Aarn retailer to check out their packs. They are slightly heavier than Osprey of similar capacity, but the design allows for a more upright stance and claims to take much more load off the shoulders. There are Aarn aficionados here with practical experience who may be willing to share that with you.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I come here from a wilderness backpacking background (albeit many years ago) and am amazed by the people I meet who do not understand how a backpack actually works. It is, I suppose, understandable that some Pilgrims look at backpacks as not much more than a carry bag. Shoulder and upper back pain are caused by carrying the pack with your back, not your hips. Despite its name, a backpack is actually carried on your hips. The shoulder straps keep it steady, but the hips carry the weight.

Think of a backpack as a machine that you wear. To CARRY cargo it has a bag. To TRANSFER the cargo weight to your hips it must have some sort of internal frame ... there are various frame types, which include flexible sheets, rigid sheets, wire hoops, articulated wire double hoops (x, figure 8, butterfly shapes), or an external frame. Each frame type has its own advantages.

Many small packs do NOT have a frame. AVOID THESE at all cost!!! These are glofied book bags that kids use to carry books short distances.

GENERALLY SPEAKING: The more rigid the frame, the greater the comfort for heavy loads. The more flexible the frame the less load that can be carried. There are other factors, but frame is critical for load carrying.

Most pilgrims carry a very light load. Typically 20# or less. Conseqently a light duty pack with an internal frame is suitable for most pilgrims. The next step is to find the right torso size. Go to a real outdoor store (REI, Moosejaw, etc) and get properly fitted for a backpack. Tell them to put 15# or 20# in the pack while you test it.

Getting the TORSO size is the critical step and that is why you need to go to a good store where they will fit you for a backpack. Yes, just like you get fitted for a dress, you need to get fitted for a backpack. If the frame is doing its job, and the torso length is properly sized, you should feel essentially no weight on your shoulders!!!

You also need to have them teach you how to put on the pack. There is a proper sequence of steps in which strap/belt to adjust first, and which to do last.
Excellent advice Melensdad. I have shared this post with my Australian Pilgrims on the Camino facebook group. - have acknowledged yourself as the author. Cheers.

Thanks so much for all the excellent advice. I did check out the Aarn backpacks but there is no retailer nearby and since Melensdad wisely advised that I get fitted for a pack I probably shouldn't order online.
I did see that Aarn USA is closing their operation so all of their packs are discounted and they will ship in the US for free. Here is the link:
http://aarnusa.highwire.com/

After several physical challenges I am the stereotypical 98 pound weakling. Actually not that weak anymore but still underweight. Ten percent of my body weight would be about 4.5 kg. The weight estimates of some of the lists I’m seeing sound very daunting. I’m wondering what is the least amount of weight I can get away with?
I’m also vertically challenged at 5 ft 2 1/2 inches with a very short torso and have found that a lot of backpacks put pressure on my upper back and shoulders in a migraine-inducing way. Any backpack recommendations for small migraine-prone people?
I am hoping to walk the Northern/Primitivo route this summer. My daughter will be with me for the Primitivo section but I will probably be on my own on the Northern Way.
Thanks!

A pilgrim of short stature told me she bought a Deuter Futura 30 SL
http://www.deuter.com/US/us/sl-womens-fit/futura-30-sl-34244-131.html

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You might live close enough to an Aarn retailer to check out their packs. They are slightly heavier than Osprey of similar capacity, but the design allows for a more upright stance and claims to take much more load off the shoulders. There are Aarn aficionados here with practical experience who may be willing to share that with you.
I see aarn-usa are going out of business. Sad. Do you know of an alternative front pack that would work?

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.