• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking with (young) children

GAUVINS

Time of past OR future Camino
Amiens-Santiago de Compostela
Hi

My wife, our 2 daughters (4 & 10) and I will walk this Summer. Our little group will start from le Puy en Velay and end (or not) in Santiago. We will travel with two experienced donkeys (yes yes, both have trotted the whole trail).

I'd like to hear about relevant experiences with children, especially if it concerns a 4-6 year-old.

We are not particularly anxious as if this is not working out, we have plan B, and C and D. The hope is that this will be a memorable odyssey for our daughters, who will bond with their respective donkey and discover an interesting part of the world. Frankly, my biggest worry is something like -- what happens when it rains nonstop for 72 hours :)

take care

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I hope this helps. While I did not walk with children, I over nighted with a family with 4 children between ages 2 and 10 twice on my Camino. The father had a pull cart with their items and I don't remember if the children had small packs or carried anything. I stayed with them in Fonfria and then met them on my return from Muxia in O Logoso about 10 days later. On the trail, the older children were ahead of the rest of the family at one stop, patiently waiting for the others to catch up. On both stops, hospitaleros were helpful and accommodating and pilgrims were welcoming. I'm not sure about 72 hours of rain, the kids may enjoy it more that the adults???? I think it is going to be a very positive and memorable trip for all.

Hi Gauvins,

It's always wonderful seeing children on the camino; no doubt it will be an amazing experience that will stay with them for the rest of their lives!

I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback here, but if you're looking for some forum treats to snack on in the meantime, you can get to related threads by clicking on the highlighted word 'children' in your original post. You might find these helpful as many people have posted links to blogs, books, etc. If you don't know which to choose this is probably a good place to start, just follow the links and enjoy:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/walking-the-camino-with-children.13036/

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.