• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

activities for extra days on the Camino

traveler

Walking is the answer
Time of past OR future Camino
s2015 & 2016, w 2015, 2016, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
My wife and I will be starting on the Camino next Wednesday. We've set aside 53 days to walk from SJP to Santiago de Compostela. We're in good shape and expect this will give a slower pace for a bit meditation and prayer. And we're also wondering if there are some places we should plan on spending additional time or some places within walking distance of the Camino that would be worth the extra walk.

Thanks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola!

Bigger towns like Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon ... with wide range of cathedrals, museums etc. came to mind first.
In addition to that I remember octagonal church in Eunate (detour just before Obanos), Abadia Cisterciense in Canas on the detour between Azofra and Ciruena (famous alabaster windows and avoiding walking through huge almost empty complex of houses on recommended route), short day with stay at Acacio & Orietta's albergue in Viloria de la Rioja just before Belorado (interesting couple - winter pilgrims - and Paulo Coelho being the godfather of this refugio), Atapuerca archeological site (organised tours from Burgos were recommended), taking slow on the Meseta and enjoy every moment of this zen stretch between Burgos and Leon, staying at San Anton refugio (you can find recent thread about that one in New Posts), detour from Sahagun some 6kms to the South to Grajal de Campos (last village on Camino de Madrid) with magnificent Palacio & fortress, swimming in Rio Maruelo in Molinaseca, tasting Maragato cuisine and Bierzo wines in Villafranca del Bierzo region, splurge on pulpo gallego in or near Melide, and there you are in Santiago.

Also try to put aside at least four days to walk from Santiago to Muxia and/or Fisterra, you won't regret it ;)

Ultreia!

Ahhh, how could I forgot La Rioja wine, tapas crawl on Calle Laurel in Logrono, morcillas (black puding sausages) in Burgos??? Shame on me :confused:

Buen provecho ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Maragato cuisine! Maybe a misnomer? Having undertaken the adventure I found that I needed the help of a ravenous young German girl (who had already finished her meal) to avoid insulting the cook by leaving most of it. I think the expression is "gut busting".

Maragato cuisine! Maybe a misnomer? Having undertaken the adventure I found that I needed the help of a ravenous young German girl (who had already finished her meal) to avoid insulting the cook by leaving most of it. I think the expression is "gut busting".
That's just what a tired peregrino needs ;)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hola!

" tasting Maragato cuisine and Bierzo wines in Villafranca del Bierzo región".

Excelent guide Kinki as usual. Only one comment. The best places for Maragato cuisine, that is basically the Cocido Maragato, are Castrillo de Polvazares and Astorga which are in the Maragatería region. Villafranca del Bierzo is ncluded in the Bierzo region, and there the most known food is the botillo, very strong too.
]

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Of course, Pelegrin, VdB isn't in Maragateria. I didn't do proof reading, sorry if that info was misleading and thanks for clearing it :)

Check out the website for Hacienda El Val, near Ponferrada. Jorge can take you on a fantastic tour of the Valley of Silence and Las Medulas.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My wife and I will be starting on the Camino next Wednesday. We've set aside 53 days to walk from SJP to Santiago de Compostela. We're in good shape and expect this will give a slower pace for a bit meditation and prayer. And we're also wondering if there are some places we should plan on spending additional time or some places within walking distance of the Camino that would be worth the extra walk.

Thanks

Hello traveler and wife,

Some good suggestions already from other pilgrims and I have no ther place names or destinations exotic to add to that list.

I would however prompt you to remember the joy, love, company and happiness you can find in each other's arms, so, in your search to find things to do with any extra time, try not to overlook the simple joy of being alone with the one you love.

Buen Camino

Hola!

Bigger towns like Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Leon ... with wide range of cathedrals, museums etc. came to mind first.
In addition to that I remember octagonal church in Eunate (detour just before Obanos), Abadia Cisterciense in Canas on the detour between Azofra and Ciruena (famous alabaster windows and avoiding walking through huge almost empty complex of houses on recommended route), short day with stay at Acacio & Orietta's albergue in Viloria de la Rioja just before Belorado (interesting couple - winter pilgrims - and Paulo Coelho being the godfather of this refugio), ...

Ultreia!

Kinki - Thanks! this is an amazing list! I'm really looking forward to unpacking this tonight and getting on the plan for our Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
tapas crawl!? did someone say tapas crawl??! We're in!
but only in Burgos???

Hi, traveler, if you're looking for sites worth visiting close to the Camino, accessible either by bus or taxi, you're going to find a LOT. Near Burgos is the monastery of Santo Domingo de Silos. If you search through the forum, you'll see that many have recommended a side trip there. Given the bus schedules, you're likely to need at least two nights there to be able to visit the church/cloister and attend vespers. With your schedule, that'll be very easy to accomplish.

If you like ancient churches, about 25 kms from Leon is the amazing San Miguel de la Escalada. Public transportation may be tough, but it is an absolutely beautiful mozarabic church.

Near Belorado is the monastery where I believe the Castilian language was first written, Yuso and Suso (can't remember which is the older one). I assume you could more easily get there from Santo Domingo de la Calzada, but we met a guy walking to Belorado who was out for his daily constitutional and he volunteered to pick us up in the afternoon after we had arrived and settled in the albergue and take us there in his car.

The excavations/remains at ATapuerca have also been described a lot in this forum, and many recommend a visit as a day trip from Burgos. These are just the ones that jump to mind, but I'm sure there are lots more that I'm not thinking of. With your timeframe, you will be able to take advantage of a lot of visits!

But I do echo Kinky's recommendation about making sure to save 3 or 4 days to be able to walk to Finisterre or Muxia (actually, the absolute best is to walk to Finisterre AND Muxia, so that would be 4 or 5 days!)

Buen camino, Laurie

tapas crawl!? did someone say tapas crawl??! We're in!
but only in Burgos???
YESSSS - Tapas crawl :D
In my experience most famous on Calle Laurel in Logrono or in Barrio Humedo in Leon. In Burgos I was so much taken by the beauty of the cathedral that I didn't noticed tapas bars at all ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back