• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guide to Camino Castellano-Aragonés

peregrina2000

Staff member
I´ve put this in the Ruta del Ebro section, because the Camino Castellano-Aragonés is a short camino that starts at Gallur on the Ruta del Ebro. From there it´s 8 days to Santo Domingo de Silos, then another two days to Burgos. [Edit: thread moved to separate Castellano-ARagones section]

I´m thinking that maybe a good Camino 2015 would be Tortosa to Gallur (10 days on the Ruta del Ebro), followed by ten days to Burgos, and then a jump forward to Ponferrada and the Invierno.

I´m starting to research these two routes and have found an online guide for Gallur to Santo Domingo. I know at least one other forum member is considering this for 2015, so let´s see what we can find. Buen camino, Laurie

http://static.desnivel.com/docs/2011/09/06/guac.castellano-aragons.pdf

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
R
It also features on the Mundicamino website: http://www.mundicamino.com/rutas.cfm?id=67

I'm determined to do this next summer.

I see there is a 57 km stage without accommodation (Agreda to Soria), except for maybe on the floor of the old school in Pozalmuro, which is 20 from Agreda and 37 from Soria. I am pretty sure this will be part of my Camino 2015, so I will be sure to post anything I find out as I research. Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
R

I see there is a 57 km stage without accommodation (Agreda to Soria), except for maybe on the floor of the old school in Pozalmuro, which is 20 from Agreda and 37 from Soria. I am pretty sure this will be part of my Camino 2015, so I will be sure to post anything I find out as I research. Buen camino, Laurie

The Pozalmuro Gap does sound a bit daunting - not just without accommodation, but without anything much except for fabulous countryside and some depopulating villages (Soria province is the most sparsely populated in Spain, with about 30 acres for each inhabitant). I see there are a couple of casas rural in the area, but none particularly near the camino. I was thinking of doing this route next year and then hopping up from Burgos to the Norte somewhere like Santander. But I fear that might not be a good idea for my usual autumn/winter walking, as I expect it gets pretty nippy up in the Moncayo hills round Tarazona and Soria. It does sound like a lovely part of the county, and I'm determined at some point to see Santo Domingo de Silos.

The Pozalmuro Gap does sound a bit daunting - not just without accommodation, but without anything much except for fabulous countryside and some depopulating villages (Soria province is the most sparsely populated in Spain, with about 30 acres for each inhabitant). I see there are a couple of casas rural in the area, but none particularly near the camino. I was thinking of doing this route next year and then hopping up from Burgos to the Norte somewhere like Santander. But I fear that might not be a good idea for my usual autumn/winter walking, as I expect it gets pretty nippy up in the Moncayo hills round Tarazona and Soria. It does sound like a lovely part of the county, and I'm determined at some point to see Santo Domingo de Silos.

Hi, Alan,
I am certainly not one to look down on getting a ride to a casa rural and then back to the camino the next day. Can you tell me where you've found places? I'll also take a look and see what I can find. I have been to Santo Domingo de Silos, but not on foot, and that would be really special -- plus, I think I've read somewhere that pilgrims can stay in the monastery, do you know anything about that?

So where might your wanderlust take you this winter? How about around Cuenca -- I remember that Alejandro (the guy who has the albergue in Bodenaya on the Primitivo) told me he walked from Cuenca onwards for about two weeks in the winter and said it was quite excelente! Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. Just thinking about it for a minute, it seems that maybe the best thing would be to walk 10 or 15 kms beyond Pozalmuro, which would then put me in a town about 20-25 kms from Soria. Calling a cab to take me into Soria and then back the next day would be a pretty easy thing to do. And Soria surely has a lot of accommodation options.

pp.ss. And Soria itself has the Arcos de San Juan, plus two very amazing looking romanesque churches, which will make the two of us very happy, being the crazed romanesque fans that we are!

Last edited:
Hi, Alan,
I am certainly not one to look down on getting a ride to a casa rural and then back to the camino the next day. Can you tell me where you've found places? I'll also take a look and see what I can find. I have been to Santo Domingo de Silos, but not on foot, and that would be really special -- plus, I think I've read somewhere that pilgrims can stay in the monastery, do you know anything about that?

Hi there,

the only possible accommodation I've found for this stretch are at an airbnb place at Ólvega and a casa rural and hotel in Almajano (www.lasfrascuelas.com and http://www.losalbores.es/) neither of which are remotely convenient for the camino. So I think your suggestion of taxi-ing into Soria for the night and then back out again would be better.

Soria does sound a wonderful place for a rest day, with time to explore the cloisters of San Juan del Duero and of San Pedro and other things. Sseveral of the places from Gallur look worth a pause as well, with plenty of romanesque even before Soria.

There is an albergue at the monastery at Santo Domingo de Silos. The monks also do retreats in the monastery itself (minimum three nights, €42 a night full pension), but I fear it might be men only.

I'm planning to start on the Sureste on the 22nd of October, although work may interfere with my plans for this autumn, as it did last. I'm hoping to see Toledo for this first time, but may be tempted to stay with the Lana at Alpera, in which case I might end up at Santo Domingo a year early ...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't think there is an albergue at Santo Domingo de Silos, but there are several reasonably priced hostales.

I expect you're right, but there does seem to be some debate about it. Mundicamino says that the monks "acogen a los peregrinos" and todos los caminos de santiago says the same, specifying that there is an albergue at Calle Paralela del Medio (just in front of the monastery) , from March-October (so no use to me) with 38 places @€10.

If anybody has actually stayed there it would be great to hear from them one way or another. If I have time I shall probably opt for three days of contemplative immersive gregorian chant.

p.s. Just thinking about it for a minute, it seems that maybe the best thing would be to walk 10 or 15 kms beyond Pozalmuro, which would then put me in a town about 20-25 kms from Soria. Calling a cab to take me into Soria and then back the next day would be a pretty easy thing to do. And Soria surely has a lot of accommodation options.

Another option would be to arrange a taxi beforehand (so you'd know the fare beforehand and therefore avoid 'surprises') in Ágreda to take you back to Ágreda from, for example, Pozalmuro. To spend two nights in Soria could be more interesting though.

There's and hostal on the outskirts of Soria (something like 4 kms. from the downtown) that could be useful for those willing to walk all the way from Ágreda to Soria in a single day and end running short of time/daylight.

BTW, no idea about the current status of the works to make an industrial area close to Ontalvilla de Valcorba but they could affect the camino and, if they really affect it, I don't know if signaling will be properly updated.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Another option would be to arrange a taxi beforehand (so you'd know the fare beforehand and therefore avoid 'surprises') in Ágreda to take you back to Ágreda from, for example, Pozalmuro. To spend two nights in Soria could be more interesting though.

There's and hostal on the outskirts of Soria (something like 4 kms. from the downtown) that could be useful for those willing to walk all the way from Ágreda to Soria in a single day and end running short of time/daylight.

BTW, no idea about the current status of the works to make an industrial area close to Ontalvilla de Valcorba but they could affect the camino and, if they really affect it, I don't know if signaling will be properly updated.
Oh, no, Castilian, you are making me go back to the Ebro/Castellano option in my plans. I thought I had it narrowed down to St.Jaume/Catala or la Lana, but you are complicating my life with these comments! Thanks a million, buen camino, Laurie

I've found there's quite a good bus service between Ágreda and Soria which might solve the problem of the 57km between the two - several going each way most days. It stops at Aldealpozo, about 2-3km off the camino just after a deserted village called La Pica, round about half way between Ágreda and Soria. Eg 5.58pm on weekdays, getting to Soria at 6.20; return service leaves Soria the next morning at 7.30 or 10am. Sounds ideal, as I'm quite sure I couldn't manage 57km over hilly country, especially with only November's daylight.

It stops at Aldealpozo, about 2-3km off the camino just after a deserted village called La Pica, round about half way between Ágreda and Soria. Eg 5.58pm on weekdays, getting to Soria at 6.20

Not sure where you got that schedule but I'm not seeing it on the web of Therpasa (the bus line that makes the route). The closest I see it's a departure at 14:58 from Aldealpozo (arriving at Soria at 15:20) and a departure from Aldealpozo at 17:43 (arriving at Soria at 18:05). Verify the schedules but otherwise, yes that would be an option for those without problems to walk (and "navigate") out of a camino.

For bus schedules from Ágreda (and Aldealpozo) to Soria:

http://www.therpasa.es

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not sure where you got that schedule but I'm not seeing it on the web of Therpasa (the bus line that makes the route).

this is the relevant bus schedule from Soria bus station's website: http://estacionsoria.e.telefonica.net/pdf/horario4.pdf Good that there are several options. Although it does seem that it's possible to stay in Pozalmuro, so the bus might be unnecessary - according to the amigos of Soria, "aquí se ha habilitado un lugar de acogida en las escuelas".

this is the relevant bus schedule from Soria bus station's website: http://estacionsoria.e.telefonica.net/pdf/horario4.pdf

That schedule doesn't coincide with the schedule provided on the web of the bus company making the route what makes really important to confirm which one is right (if any).

according to the amigos of Soria, "aquí se ha habilitado un lugar de acogida en las escuelas".

To double check if that will be true on your travel date wouldn't be a bad idea either. You know, it can be closed for whatever reason... To have a plan B just in case the supposed option failed wouldn't be a bad idea either, IMHO.

I will arrive on 11 December at Castellon Airport and I don`t find anything about transportation to Castellon or Amposta on their website www.castellon-airport.net anyone can help me please ?

I will arrive on 11 December at Castellon Airport and I don`t find anything about transportation to Castellon or Amposta on their website www.castellon-airport.net anyone can help me please ?

Hi, tello,

Welcome to the forum. I remember hearing a lot of grumbling about this airport from my Spanish friends, who all describe it as a ridiculous example of unnecessary excess, but that of course isn´t relevant to your question.

It looks like there is tram service up and running, every twelve minutes from the airport to downtown. http://castellonconfidencial.com/nueva-frecuencia-tram/

What route are you walking? Buen camino, Laurie

My question, too, Laurie.
The mention of Amposta suggests it might be the Ruta de Ebro in which case Reus airport might also be an option.
I understand Castellon airport - built but unused for seven years - is very much in its infancy .....

A good friend of mine is originally from San Leonardo (de Yagüe) about 50 km from Soria. I stayed several days with her in this summer after my hospitalera stint in Nájera. She is not a Camino person (yet) but told me that she had seen the typical shell signs. I took a few pictures when I was there as I had not heard previously of this Camino.

Soria is known for its pine forrest and this section is no exception. While there we walked to several abandoned villages - one where her father was from - and we walked the Cañón del Río Lobos which is a parque natural. Definately worthwhile. She had wanted to take me to Santo Domingo de los Silos but couldn't fit it in this time around.
The train station has not been in use for many years and as you can see by the name on the wall the name dates back to pre Spanish Civil war times (without the Yagüe).

It looks quite short but could be added to another route. 44590387600863__252x142-RGB_565917305995.jpg 44591503208467__108x60-RGB_565-499060785.jpg -44532506025376__252x228-RGB_565-243188660.jpg 44591559881041__142x252-RGB_5651521792394.jpg 44591624114142__142x252-RGB_565937952903.jpg 44593990332997__252x142-RGB_565-1018954901.jpg 44594010684419__108x60-RGB_565507978500.jpg 44594830707975__252x142-RGB_5651993383777.jpg 44594880916158__252x142-RGB_565-327617562.jpg 44594886923007__252x142-RGB_565-1121900831.jpg

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
According to my calculations (though we'll probably get better info from alansykes when he is done), the Camino combination of the Ebro to Gallur and then the Castellano-Aragonés from Gallur to Santo Domingo would be about 19 days. Then on to Burgos, two days on the Ruta de la Lana, gives you a nice three week walk. Tempting.....

According to my calculations (though we'll probably get better info from alansykes when he is done), the Camino combination of the Ebro to Gallur and then the Castellano-Aragonés from Gallur to Santo Domingo would be about 19 days. Then on to Burgos, two days on the Ruta de la Lana, gives you a nice three week walk. Tempting.....
I'm reading Alan's posts with much interest because there's another of my Camino Combos which include this part (Girona + Catala + del Ebro + Castellano-Aragones + de la Lana + Frances + Invierno + Sanabres = 1395kms) :D

Soria is known for its pine forrest

It looks quite short but could be added to another route.

I should pass through San Leonardo tomorrow, having spent a day mostly in beautifully scented pine woods, bumping into occasional mushroom pickers. Staying in Navaleno, a pleasant but dull mountain village 6km short of San Leonardo, in an almost certainly futile protest about the latter's continuing to "honour" a despicable war criminal in its name - San Leonardo won't notice it's lost €40.

So tomorrow, without even spending €1.30 on a café con leche in SL (that'll teach them), I hope to see the cañon of the río Lobos, and on Thursday get to Santo Domingo de Silos, possibly in time for Sexta, certainly vespers and completas. And that will be the end of my camino Castellano-Aragonés, 10 days (including a rest day in Soria pura) from Gallur, which was 11 days up the Ebro from the coast

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Good to hear from you @alansykes! My friend in fact refuses to use "de Yagüe" when she says where she is from. I in fact met one of his granddaughters who currently lives in Burgos but goes back to her pueblo in August as so many do. She does not want anything to do with this part of the family. Can you imagine, there was even a bust of him in the town square but a group of young people destroyed it. The local theater (coming into town on the left) still carries his name. You might be interested in this article I found today on Facebook about the cathedral in Burgos "honoring" him - the Butcher of Badajoz! :http://iniciativadebate.org/2015/10...gos-al-general-yague-el-carnicero-de-badajoz/

The town has castle ruins up on the hill but otherwise there is not a whole lot else to see in this town of 2,000. Let me know how you enjoyed the Cañón del Río Lobos.

Buen Camino!

...Staying in Navaleno, a pleasant but dull mountain village 6km short of San Leonardo, in an almost certainly futile protest about the latter's continuing to "honour" a despicable war criminal in its name - San Leonardo won't notice it's lost €40.

So tomorrow, without even spending €1.30 on a café con leche in SL (that'll teach them), ...
¡No pasarán!

I'm reading Alan's posts with much interest because there's another of my Camino Combos which include this part (Girona + Catala + del Ebro + Castellano-Aragones + de la Lana + Frances + Invierno + Sanabres = 1395kms)

If you are going to start in Girona, you might consider: Girona to Montserrat plus Català por San Juan de la Peña plus Aragonés plus Olvidado (the Pamplona branch of it) plus Invierno plus Sanabrés (a variant of it would be to skip the last part of the Olvidado and continue: El Salvador plus primitivo plus francés). The part along Burgos province of the Olvidado branch from Pamplona is a gem to discover...

And you would have the Ebro plus castellano-aragonés plus la Lana plus francés plus invierno plus sanabrés combo for other year...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back