Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Variation to Camino Invierno

wayan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, Camino Fisterra (Oct-Nov 2013)
Camino Aragones, Frances, Portuguese (Sep-Nov 2015)
I haven't seen this mentioned but on the following page http://caminodeinvierno.es/etapas-i...cción-meteorológica/etapa-7-chantada-rodeiro/ mention is made of a variation near Panasillas (Google translation):

IF WE WANT TO AVOID MONTEFAROtoreach PENASILLÁS l we can follow the route map pointing insetamos below in PDF, with the title of PENASILLÁS.It is better way, shorter, less tiring and avoid the snow in winter.It lacks logical and historical meaning the ascent to Monte Faro.

There is a pdf of the variation near the bottom of the page.

I'll see if I can make sense of it in late October if I make it there.

Wayne

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I haven't seen this mentioned but on the following page http://caminodeinvierno.es/etapas-itinerario-alojamiento-predicción-meteorológica/etapa-7-chantada-rodeiro/ mention is made of a variation near Panasillas (Google translation):

IF WE WANT TO AVOID MONTEFAROtoreach PENASILLÁS l we can follow the route map pointing insetamos below in PDF, with the title of PENASILLÁS.It is better way, shorter, less tiring and avoid the snow in winter.It lacks logical and historical meaning the ascent to Monte Faro.

Wayne
Interesting. I don't remember I've seen that last year when preparing for Invierno so I guess it should be newly marked path. Well, maybe not... Half of it on tarmac though. I checked my gps track and from Penasillas to Monte Faro rest stop is 420mts of altitude difference whereas on the alternative route you gain only 180mts to the point where you re-connect with "official" route.
If the weather is fine I would still recommend going up to Monte Faro. I found that stage (Chantada - Rodeiro) maybe the nicest on Camino de Invierno.
If you'll take the easier route post report, please.

Ultreia!

I'll be setting off on the Invierno from Ponferrada on Sunday May 31, and my intention/plan (if all goes well) is to walk the stage from Chantada to Rodeiro on Monday June 8. At the moment, I intend to walk up to Monte Faro, but that may well depend on the state of my feet and other problems (hopefully not bedbugs!).

I'll keep you all posted and will also look out for any signs marking this alternative route. I don't understand why they should say this, though: Carece de sentido lógico e histórico la ascensión al Monte Faro. If that's the case, why bother with any ascents on any of the caminos!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Carece de sentido lógico e histórico la ascensión al Monte Faro ???

Monte Faro is the highest point in Pontevedra province (1181 m), so it is the "Techo de Pontevedra".
Curiously, the "Techo de Coruña" province is Mount Pilar (806 m) very near to Melide (Camino Francés).
Spain has 50 provinces and therefore 50 techos.
Examples of techos are: Aneto (Huesca) (3404m) the highest point on the Peninsula and Teide (Tenerife) (3718 m) that is the highest point in Spain.
I have climbed the 50 techos, so some years ago I organized a trip to Monte Faro to get the "Techo de Pontevedra". In this Techo, to be honest, I reached the top by car because I didn't have enough time.:(

I will probably skip the climb up to the Castillo de Cornatel on my first stage from Ponferrada (especially after reading what our very own Kinky One said about the ascent and descent!), as I hope to get all the way to Puente de Domingo Flórez on the same day, but I will DEFINITELY be walking up to Monte Faro seven or eight days later.

I walked up to Monte Faro even though the fog was very thick and there was no view, it seemed like the thing to do. Actually, at that time I didn't know there was an option to avoid it. I will be back on the Invierno in July, hopefully, and I will ascend again with hopes of a fog free day!

I did miss the ascent to Castillo de Cornatel, but not because I wanted to. I just missed the sign and wound up on the road up to the turn-off point for the castle. From there it was a gentle ascent. Charrito, have you been to As Médulas? I spent a lovely afternoon there walking around, it is fascinating and the views are great. The little museum is also very interesting. But stopping in As Médulas does make for some more inconvenient stages, I think, so I understand the urge to get on to Puente de Domingo Flórez. Buen camino, Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked up to Monte Faro even though the fog was very thick and there was no view, it seemed like the thing to do. Actually, at that time I didn't know there was an option to avoid it. I will be back on the Invierno in July, hopefully, and I will ascend again with hopes of a fog free day!

I did miss the ascent to Castillo de Cornatel, but not because I wanted to. I just missed the sign and wound up on the road up to the turn-off point for the castle. From there it was a gentle ascent. Charrito, have you been to As Médulas? I spent a lovely afternoon there walking around, it is fascinating and the views are great. The little museum is also very interesting. But stopping in As Médulas does make for some more inconvenient stages, I think, so I understand the urge to get on to Puente de Domingo Flórez. Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie:

Thanks for the message. I have absolutely NO DOUBT that there will be no fog when I leave Chantada! WHY? Because every single time that I have walked the Camino in Galicia (Francés once, Portugués three times, Inglés once, Fisterra once) the weather has been ridiculously hot (35 degrees plus). I contacted the Xunta de Galicia to tell them this, and they wanted to contract me in order to attract more tourists!!!!!!!!!! That's not really true, of course, but it would be an interesting idea!

As I have been living in Castilla y León for over 20 years, I know practically all the main places on the Invierno. When I went to Las Médulas for the first time, it just took my breath away. It is simply stunning, amazing, or whatever superlative you can think of. We spent ages in the little museum there, totally gobsmacked at the incredible feats of engineering that the Romans were capable of (ok, with slaves, but that was par for the course in those days), before going for a good 2-hour hike around the area.

I'll see how things go on the first day, but as it's going to be a Sunday, I imagine that there won't be too much going on in the tiny village of Las Médulas after all the daytrippers have gone home, which is why I will probably just stop there for lunch or refreshments and carry on to Puente de Domingo Flórez.

I just want to chim in that Las Médulas looks amazing!!! When I was a hospitalera in Ponferrada this past March I went to the tourist office for information and I was astounded by pictures of the surrounding area. We were so busy in the albergue that we barely got out to see Ponferrada - luckily did see a glimpse of one Semana Santa procession - let alone that far. It is definately on my "to do" list.

I finally visited Las Medulas last November. It was splendid. See more about this UNESCO World Heritage Site in this earlier Forum thread. Do go when you can.

Last edited:
Peregrina 200o has called it "As Médulas" and she is correct because that place is included in the Galego speaking area of León. Also, Puente de Domingo Flórez is a Galego speaking village. Of course Las Médulas is also correct but in Spanish.

I'll be setting off on the Invierno from Ponferrada on Sunday May 31, and my intention/plan (if all goes well) is to walk the stage from Chantada to Rodeiro on Monday June 8.

Will try to remember you on that ascent when I'll be walking on Valencia tarmac on the same day :)

I'll see how things go on the first day, but as it's going to be a Sunday, I imagine that there won't be too much going on in the tiny village of Las Médulas after all the daytrippers have gone home, which is why I will probably just stop there for lunch or refreshments and carry on to Puente de Domingo Flórez.

Wow, Ponferrada - PdDF? I would do that stage now when I know the ascent to Cornatell, then another one to As Medulas and the descent to PdDF.

Our forum member @Maya Amanecer 2015 recently finishe Camino de Madrid. Yesterday she came to Astorga and I believe she will go for Invierno tomorrow. If she will send me anything important about the route or albergues I'll post that here.

Ultreia!

Carece de sentido lógico e histórico la ascensión al Monte Faro ???

Monte Faro is the highest point in Pontevedra province (1181 m), so it is the "Techo de Pontevedra".
Curiously, the "Techo de Coruña" province is Mount Pilar (806 m) very near to Melide (Camino Francés).
Spain has 50 provinces and therefore 50 techos.
Examples of techos are: Aneto (Huesca) (3404m) the highest point on the Peninsula and Teide (Tenerife) (3718 m) that is the highest point in Spain.
I have climbed the 50 techos, so some years ago I organized a trip to Monte Faro to get the "Techo de Pontevedra". In this Techo, to be honest, I reached the top by car because I didn't have enough time.:(

Sorry I made I mistake:confused:. The highest point in the Peninsula is not Aneto (3404 m), it is Mulhacen in Sierra Nevada(3478m) that is the Techo of Granada province.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Will try to remember you on that ascent when I'll be walking on Valencia tarmac on the same day :)

Wow, Ponferrada - PdDF? I would do that stage now when I know the ascent to Cornatell, then another one to As Medulas and the descent to PdDF.

Our forum member @Maya Amanecer 2015 recently finishe Camino de Madrid. Yesterday she came to Astorga and I believe she will go for Invierno tomorrow. If she will send me anything important about the route or albergues I'll post that here.

Ultreia!

Thanks, oh great KinkyOne!!!!!!!!!!!! I look forward to receiving any new information from you or anyone else before I set off in a few weeks' time.

Peregrina 200o has called it "As Médulas" and she is correct because that place is included in the Galego speaking area of León. Also, Puente de Domingo Flórez is a Galego speaking village. Of course Las Médulas is also correct but in Spanish.

El idioma gallego es una lengua romance del subgrupo galaico-portugués hablada principalmente en la comunidad española de Galicia. Está estrechamente emparentado con el portugués, con el que formó unidad lingüística (galaicoportugués) durante la Edad Media.

También se hablan diferentes variedades del gallego en la comarca del Eo-Navia, en el oeste de Asturias, y en el Oeste de las comarcas de El Bierzo y Sanabria, al noroeste deCastilla y León.

Algunos lingüistas también consideran como parte de la lengua gallega el habla de los tres pueblos del Valle de Jálama, en el extremo noroeste de Extremadura, llamada localmente fala o con un nombre local para cada pueblo.

Yes Charrito you know very well the Galego situation outside the Galician borders.
I introduced my comment referring to "As Médulas", because We had already talked about that issue in another thread in the Camino Sanabrés when Peregrina 2000 talked about the "cortello dos lobos" in Lubián.
Also, there are in this thread veteran fórum members with wide experience in different Caminos so I dared to intodruce that information because I thought could be interesting.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes Charrito you know very well the Galego situation outside the Galician borders.
I introduced my comment referring to "As Médulas", because We had already talked about that issue in another thread in the Camino Sanabrés when Peregrina 2000 talked about the "cortello dos lobos" in Lubián.
Also, there are in this thread veteran fórum members with wide experience in different Caminos so I dared to intodruce that information because I thought could be interesting.
And you are more than welcome to do so, @Pelegrin . Thank you for that!!!

Thanks, Pelegrin -- to tell you the truth, I knew it was "As Medulas" and I also knew that As Medulas was not in Galicia because Galicia starts when you cross the Sil in Puente de Domingo Florez (I think -- is that right?), but I had no idea why a non-Galician town would use what appeared to be galego in a place name. And now I get it.

Thanks, Pelegrin -- to tell you the truth, I knew it was "As Medulas" and I also knew that As Medulas was not in Galicia because Galicia starts when you cross the Sil in Puente de Domingo Florez (I think -- is that right?), but I had no idea why a non-Galician town would use what appeared to be galego in a place name. And now I get it.

Yes, river Sil is the border.
I thought you knew it after the episode when we talk about the cortello dos lobos in Lubián.
I also remember when in another thread you commented that you were "da casa" in one restaurant in Santiago.
So, if you are "da casa" you have some connection with the Galego language :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The Bierzo region is so close to Galicia (not just the beautiful scenery), so the western part of the region has always felt itself to be closer to Galicia than to Castilla y León.

Whenever you're around Ponferrada you'll see all sorts of graffiti, many of which call for 'Bierzo Libre' (something like 'Independence for the Bierzo') and others which are not very complimentary about the capital city, León! You will also see lots of 'galego na cole', which is something that quite a few people want: the possibility of learning Gallego/Galego at school and/or having classes in gallego instead of castellano.

the possibility of learning Gallego/Galego at school and/or having classes in gallego instead of castellano.
Which is very odd because the Galician education system has seen a decline in the use of Galician. Link
Never heard Las Médulas called A Médulas. A reference to the use of AS on line is in The Galician version of Wikipedia. But the Portuguese version refers to LAS. Go figure:rolleyes:

This thread came again!!!
Sorry, I couldn't help introducing the Galician language limits on the different Caminos:

Camino del Norte: River Navia
Camino Primitivo: Puerto del Palo
Camino Francés: River Cua (between Ponferrrada and Villlafranca)
Camino de Invierno: west Ponferrada Council.
Camino Sanabrés: Puerto del Padornelo
Camino Portugués: River Miño

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I haven't seen this mentioned but on the following page http://caminodeinvierno.es/etapas-itinerario-alojamiento-predicción-meteorológica/etapa-7-chantada-rodeiro/ mention is made of a variation near Panasillas (Google translation):

Wayne

Hi, Wayne,
I am going through all 2015 threads on the Invierno to pick up information for the revisions to the forum online guide and came across your post on avoiding Monte Faro. I walked in July and went up to the top again, this time with great weather. But i would like to add a description of the option and wonder if you are still planning to set out on the Invierno later this month. If so, it'd be great to hear if you try this option, and also any other information you might want to share. Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, Wayne,
I am going through all 2015 threads on the Invierno to pick up information for the revisions to the forum online guide and came across your post on avoiding Monte Faro. I walked in July and went up to the top again, this time with great weather. But i would like to add a description of the option and wonder if you are still planning to set out on the Invierno later this month. If so, it'd be great to hear if you try this option, and also any other information you might want to share. Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie,
I have decided to walk up from Porto with some friends instead. So will not be doing the Invierno at this stage.
Regards,
Wayne

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back