• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Connecting to the Aragonés from the Camí Catalá

peregrina2000

Staff member
LTfit and I plan to meet up in Montserrat and from there walk the Catalá-Catalán through San Juan de la Peña out to where it joins up with the Aragonés, somewhere before Santa Cilia de Jaca. At that point, so as not to miss Jaca and any of the beauty of this camino, we plan to take a bus from Santa Cilia to Jaca (16.46), and from Jaca to Somport (19.35), arriving at about 8 pm. We will sleep in Somport and start off the next day -- does this idea seem reasonable to those of you who know this route? Thanks and buen camino, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes!
Laurie, you are waking the route I hoped to do this year, but.........well, we are walking from Oporto instead!

Laurie, that sounds good.

When I took the Aragones the last time, there was a bus that went from Jaca to the Monastery. You may be able to catch that same bus back to Jaca. He parks outside the newer monastery and museum.

The trail from the Aragones route to the Monastery was washed out and horrible so I don't suggest walking it.

We did walk part way down the trail to the next village, then took the very quiet road down to the main highway. It was a lovely walk through waving fields of wheat and poppies. Took about 3 hours from the monastery to the main road but I do walk slowly.

I blogged it if you want to take a look:

http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2012/05/san-juan-de-pena.html

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Not to complicate things, but for interest's sake there's also a lovely train from Jaca to Canfranc, which runs twice daily at midday and 7pm!

LTfit and I plan to meet up in Montserrat and from there walk the Catalá-Catalán through San Juan de la Peña out to where it joins up with the Aragonés, somewhere before Santa Cilia de Jaca. At that point, so as not to miss Jaca and any of the beauty of this camino, we plan to take a bus from Santa Cilia to Jaca (16.46), and from Jaca to Somport (19.35), arriving at about 8 pm. We will sleep in Somport and start off the next day -- does this idea seem reasonable to those of you who know this route? Thanks and buen camino, Laurie
Not reasonable at all, Laurie... I would want to walk it ;)

Just joking. I know that you know what you're doing and that it's the best way!

Ultreia!

Laurie, that sounds good.

When I took the Aragones the last time, there was a bus that went from Jaca to the Monastery. You may be able to catch that same bus back to Jaca. He parks outside the newer monastery and museum.

The trail from the Aragones route to the Monastery was washed out and horrible so I don't suggest walking it.

We did walk part way down the trail to the next village, then took the very quiet road down to the main highway. It was a lovely walk through waving fields of wheat and poppies. Took about 3 hours from the monastery to the main road but I do walk slowly.

I blogged it if you want to take a look:

http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2012/05/san-juan-de-pena.html

Thanks, Annie, very helpful. I think this is the bus: http://www.gronze.com/camino-de-san...us-lanzadera-entre-jaca-y-san-juan-de-la-pena Looks like it leaves San Juan at 7 pm, which is going to get us to Jaca too late, I think, to get the 7:35 pm bus from Jaca to Somport.

Thanks for the heads up on the walk down from San Juan to the Aragonés. I like your idea of walking to Santa Cruz and then take the road if the Camino looks bad from there. It´s likely that we will spend the night before on the Catalán in Ena, which is about 22 from Santa Cilia. It looks like the road adds a few more kms on, but it´s good to know it´s an option. Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks Laurie for asking about this and the responses. I might not be visualizing this correctly but won't we be approaching San Juan de la Peña from the Camí Català before Santa Cilia and therefore from a different direction and therefore different path?

Thanks Laurie for asking about this and the responses. I might not be visualizing this correctly but won't we be approaching San Juan de la Peña from the Camí Català before Santa Cilia and therefore from a different direction and therefore different path?

Hi, partner, glad to see there are two of us who are directionally challenged. I have visions of us wandering aimlessly around the mountains wishing Kinky were here with his cartographic mind. :) I am looking at the map, that´s the only reason I can answer this. From Ena to San Juan is about 12 km. From San Juan to Santa Cilia is another 10. The Camino Catalán joins the Aragonés about 2 (?) km before reaching Santa Cilia.

San Juan de la Peña is actually off the Camino Aragonés and on the Camino Catalán. Does that make sense? Laurie

p.s. actually on re-reading this I see that we both have the same understanding of San Juan, at least I think we do and that you are asking me about Annie´s comments. I think Annie´s comments were dealing with her walk from San Juan down to Santa Cilia, which she did because she took a bus from Jaca to San Juan and then wanted to get back on the Aragonés. Now I may have really confused things, sorry if that is the case.

Last edited:
I have visions of us wandering aimlessly around the mountains wishing Kinky were here with his cartographic mind. :)

AHAHAHAHA...
...sorry I can not help you much on that one. It's true that this Camino is also on my wish list but first things first. And I don't doubt that you two will do just great!

After I put those names in Google Maps it seems quite easy for me. Ena, San Juan & Sta.Cilia are almost in the straight line from south to north.
- Ena - San Juan = 26,6kms
- San Juan - Sta.Cilia = 13,8kms
And Sta.Cilia is on a N-240 almost in the middle between Jaca (east) and Puente la Reina de Jaca (west), all mentioned almost in straight E to W line...

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I think you come up the BACK side of the trail to reach San Juan and sort of "t=bone" the Aragones.
So if I got that right you walk on Catala through Ena & San Juan and 2kms before Sta.Cilia you touch Aragones coming from the east (from your right). Then you you turn left on Aragones (and after 2kms???) you come to Sta.Cilia? And you're on Aragones? :D

Seems quite easy. Apart from walking all those kilometers, of course :)

Very entertaining! Not sure about the directionally challenged but of course it would have helped to look at a map before asking a question :oops:.
AHAHAHAHA...
...sorry I can not help you much on that one. It's true that this Camino is also on my wish list but first things first. And I don't doubt that you two will do just great!

After I put those names in Google Maps it seems quite easy for me. Ena, San Juan & Sta.Cilia are almost in the straight line from south to north.
- Ena - San Juan = 26,6kms
- San Juan - Sta.Cilia = 13,8kms
And Sta.Cilia is on a N-240 almost in the middle between Jaca (east) and Puente la Reina de Jaca (west), all mentioned almost in straight E to W line...

Thanks for your vote of confidence Kinky but I am glad that the km you quote don't jive otherwise Laurie and I will never get up to Somport on the same day;)

According to the information sheet from the Amics in Barcelona the etapa from Ena to San Juan de la Peña is only 11,4 km and from San Juan to Santa Cilia 12,1 km = 23,5 km total. We will therefore visit the monestery on the way to Santa Cilia along the Camí Català rather than later when on the Aragonés from Somport. I really want to do the whole Aragónes so Laurie was kind enough to change the original plan to include the bus transportation up to Somport rather than the usual continuation along the Aragónes from Arres missing out on the first two stages of the Aragónes (Somport - Jaca and Jaca - Arres).

Here is the website of the Associació d'Amics dels Pelegrins a Santiago - Barcelona www.amicsdelspelegrins.org/wordpress/

Here is the information sheet with distances and services http://www.amicsdelspelegrins.org/wp-content/uploads/servicios-cami-SJDLP1.pdf

In less than a month I will meet up with Laurie in Monserrat:)! She will already be in good shape, hope that I can keep up with her!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very entertaining! Not sure about the directionally challenged but of course it would have helped to look at a map before asking a question :oops:.

Thanks for your vote of confidence Kinky but I am glad that the km you quote don't jive otherwise Laurie and I will never get up to Somport on the same day;)

According to the information sheet from the Amics in Barcelona the etapa from Ena to San Juan de la Peña is only 11,4 km and from San Juan to Santa Cilia 12,1 km = 23,5 km total. We will therefore visit the monestery on the way to Santa Cilia along the Camí Català rather than later when on the Aragonés from Somport. I really want to do the whole Aragónes so Laurie was kind enough to change the original plan to include the bus transportation up to Somport rather than the usual continuation along the Aragónes from Arres missing out on the first two stages of the Aragónes (Somport - Jaca and Jaca - Arres).

Here is the website of the Associació d'Amics dels Pelegrins a Santiago - Barcelona www.amicsdelspelegrins.org/wordpress/

Here is the information sheet with distances and services http://www.amicsdelspelegrins.org/wp-content/uploads/servicios-cami-SJDLP1.pdf

In less than a month I will meet up with Laurie in Monserrat:)! She will already be in good shape, hope that I can keep up with her!
Ah, those distances were from Google Maps and are usually (even if walking) measured on tarmac roads so they might not be correct. I would believe those at posted links are correct :)

I've read Laurie's blogs on different Caminos and most of her daily distances are out of my comfort zone. She's a real trooper :cool:

Your plan is reasonable but I gather that there is no tienda or bar in Ena, so you may have to schlep your food with you for that stage. There is a hotel restaurant at San Juan de la Pena in the hotel attached to the old monastery and the menu should not be more that 14euro or 15euro (I hope!) but the next food would be available in the cafe in Santa Cruz de los Seros, below the old monastery by about an hour or so. The Cami Catalan is a great walk and I hope to read of your exploits.

Thanks for the info @oursonpolaire . By the looks of the information I have from the Amics there is no store in either Sarsamarcuello or in Ena where we are planning to stop. 14,2 km before Ena there is a panadería and a bar in Estación de Sanata María y la Peña. I see that we will have to do some planning beforehand.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks for the info @oursonpolaire . By the looks of the information I have from the Amics there is no store in either Sarsamarcuello or in Ena where we are planning to stop. 14,2 km before Ena there is a panadería and a bar in Estación de Sanata María y la Peña. I see that we will have to do some planning beforehand.
Lucky for you, LTfit, you will be walking with someone who loves to plan. :)

The senora at the bar/restaurant in Estacion is very helpful-- I have a vague memory that she spoke French, but I cannot be certain. If the weather is very bad and the locals advise against the climb, you might want to think of just taking the local train from there to Jaca.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back