• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Group of 12 - May 2015

Whereswillie

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles - May 15
Hello Peregrinos

My first post (on any forum!) to ask for assistance please!

I am helping to organize a pilgrimage in May 2015 on the Camino Ingles for a church group of circa 12 – mainly “late middle aged” – participants from Sussex. We are looking at flying from LGW to Santiago then taking the bus back to Ferrol to start the walk. Our return flight from Santiago will be 7 days later. The participants have different aspirations for accommodation – some wanting the full “albergue” experience and some preferring a little more luxury – and, again, some wanting baggage transfer facilities. Given these different requirements and our wish to walk, talk and eat and drink together, I thought we would probably need to stop in the larger centres and therefore largely follow the route as described in the CSJ guide book i.e.
1) Ferrol to Pontedeume 25k
2) Pontedeume to Betanzos 20k
3) Betanzos to Bruma 29k
4) Bruma to Sigueiro 24k
5) Sigueiro to Santiago 18k

We would have time to put in an extra day on the walk but my impression is that accommodation is a bit sparse in the middle section. So my initial (I’m sure there will be many more) questions are please:

a) Would you think this schedule is OK? – or are there other splits that may be preferable?
b) Any comments / recommendations for accommodation based on the above?
c) Anything known about accommodation in Naron / Neda?
d) Any hints on possible breaks in section 3?

Many thanks in anticipation.

John W

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The silence may be a stunned silence. Twelve novice pilgrims on a less traveled route, all with different capabilities, motives, and preferences. You have your work cut out for you!

Nothing is impossible, though. Your group will overwhelm many facilities. Everyone will walk at a different pace, and those who try to keep up will injure themselves. Some stages will be impossible for some in your group, so transportation will be needed. Quite frankly, a chase vehicle carrying your packs and slower members may be the best idea. Perhaps you could rent one at the Santiago airport. It would not carry everyone at the same time, but would always be available when you needed it. Getting twelve persons moving the same direction in the morning for a week staggers my mind. Getting everyone fed in the evening at some of the stops is equally staggering. Some will be spending hours tending their feet. Others will have legs and knees that don't want to work.

Your idea is heroic, and I wish you well in making it reality. Buen camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Read "What the Physic told the Pilgrim"--horrors of traveling with a group of 15 on the Camino.

The silence may be a stunned silence. Twelve novice pilgrims on a less traveled route, all with different capabilities, motives, and preferences. You have your work cut out for you!

Nothing is impossible, though. Your group will overwhelm many facilities. Everyone will walk at a different pace, and those who try to keep up will injure themselves. Some stages will be impossible for some in your group, so transportation will be needed. Quite frankly, a chase vehicle carrying your packs and slower members may be the best idea. Perhaps you could rent one at the Santiago airport. It would not carry everyone at the same time, but would always be available when you needed it. Getting twelve persons moving the same direction in the morning for a week staggers my mind. Getting everyone fed in the evening at some of the stops is equally staggering. Some will be spending hours tending their feet. Others will have legs and knees that don't want to work.

Your idea is heroic, and I wish you well in making it reality. Buen camino.

Thank you so much Falcon - that’s what I was worried about!! but as you say - nothing’s impossible and there’s plenty of time!! Time for more discussions at this end!! Thanks once more. John

Falcon has made some very good suggestions.

I would add that the distances you post are probably not doable by a group of people just starting out.
Those distances are more like the ones we might see after a couple of weeks of walking and a level of fitness has set in.

Buen Camino

Thanks Grayland - more planning - training - required!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would suggest that you contact Sillydoll, and read her thread about the Camino Inglés in 11 days, as it might help with your accomodation plans even though you are looking at less days. When are you hoping to go? (PM me if you don't want that publicised)
Buen Camino to you all

I would suggest that you contact Sillydoll, and read her thread about the Camino Inglés in 11 days, as it might help with your accomodation plans even though you are looking at less days. When are you hoping to go? (PM me if you don't want that publicised)
Buen Camino to you all

Thanks - will do. We are looking at mid May next year.

Thanks - will do. We are looking at mid May next year.
Another useful resource is the Gronze website for the Camino Inglés - it shows the profiles and also lists accomodation for each stage. Although in Spanish the information is still clear to non-Spanish speakers.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
May next year is virtually a year away so you certainly have time to train before then. If you are dedicated, you will be able to walk those distances by then - but as the others say, it would be unwise to try them without proper preparation.

I walked the Inglés as my first Camino and needed 9 days, even with training. At the time I probably fitted into your age/ability description. Having also walked the Primitivo I would say that the final stages of that from Lugo to Santiago (101kms) is easier than the Inglés with comparable distances, easier hills and with more accomodation options. Again look at Gronze for distances, profiles and places to stay. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked the Inglés as my first Camino and needed 9 days, even with training. At the time I probably fitted into your age/ability description. Having also walked the Primitivo I would say that the final stages of that from Lugo to Santiago (101kms) is easier than the Inglés with comparable distances, easier hills and with more accomodation options. Again look at Gronze for distances, profiles and places to stay. :)

Thanks once more - Gronze looks like a very useful resource.

Hello Again Peregrinos!!
The research is continuing and we think we have a better balanced itinerary - over 7 days. However, accommodation issues are continuing and this has caused us to ask the unaskable question ......!! Are we going to the best place?? We get the feeling that on this walk the landscape may not be particularly scenic or serene (certainly compared with Norte and Primitivo) and we may be better to consider a different route - any views please??
Many thanks.

John

Hola Willie. With the numbers involved I think you might be better on a different route for accommodation, although the distances might still be the problem. It all depends on how far the slowest can walk in a day and whether they can do the distance in the time scale. The only route that offers more choice with less distance between accommodation and easier choosing of stage lengths is probably the Francés. Back to Gronze??
We took 9 days for the Inglés, which I needed and I would compare myself maybe to your group. From Lugo (Primitivo) to Santiago via Palas de Rei not As Seixas we took 8 days but could have done it in 7 days, so that might suit you.
Lugo to San Roman de Retorta; San Roman to Ferreira to Palas de Rei (1 day or 2); Palas de Rei to Melide etc............

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Hello Again Peregrinos!!
The research is continuing and we think we have a better balanced itinerary - over 7 days. However, accommodation issues are continuing and this has caused us to ask the unaskable question ......!! Are we going to the best place?? We get the feeling that on this walk the landscape may not be particularly scenic or serene (certainly compared with Norte and Primitivo) and we may be better to consider a different route - any views please??
Many thanks.

John
I do not agree with you what you say about the scenery. The Ingles is a great walk in beautiful landscape. It haseverything. The coast, hills, forest, nice villages.and the city of Ferrol to start with. Nothing wrong with that.
It need some preps but in all the places you mentioned are hotels, albergues or hostals and everywhere are restaurants.
The idea of Falcon to hire a minibus as chasingvehicle is a good idea.

Thought about the caminho Portuges from Tui ?

Sorry had a different third picture in mind. Do not know how to delete the last one and replace for an other one, showing the variety of the scenery.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
View attachment 13395 View attachment 13396 View attachment 13396
I do not agree with you what you say about the scenery. The Ingles is a great walk in beautiful landscape. It haseverything. The coast, hills, forest, nice villages.and the city of Ferrol to start with. Nothing wrong with that.
It need some preps but in all the places you mentioned are hotels, albergues or hostals and everywhere are restaurants.
The idea of Falcon to hire a minibus as chasingvehicle is a good idea.

Thought about the caminho Portuges from Tui ?

Sorry had a different third picture in mind. Do not know how to delete the last one and replace for an other one, showing the variety of the scenery.

Thank you so much Albertinho - my faith is restored!! (and I did get all 3 photos!!) Thanks again.
John

Thank you so much Albertinho - my faith is restored!! (and I did get all 3 photos!!) Thanks again.
John
If you do some preps you definitively find places to sleep and to eat
It only is a matter of arranging early to be sure you will get the reservations

Ferrol has hotels and hostals.

Pontedeume has an albergue and a hotel about 150 meters situated from each other.
The albergue has 12 places

Betanzos has an albergue and some hostals. A lot of restaurants around

Bruma is a different matter. Has an albergue but a 2 kms detour to o Meson do Vento brings you you hostal O Meson Novo. Great place to be and has a restaurant
Oposite the road is a hotel.

Sigüeiro. Has a hostal and a new albergue and in the direct region is a hotel.
That should be the place were the minibus could keep al your folks together.

In Santiago are different places where you can lodge bigger groups for example hostal albergue la Salle but there are more.

It is a job to figuere it iut but absolutely doable

Buen camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Forgot to write what many walkers do on the leg from Betanzos to Bruma is they walk as far to a bar called Casa Julia about 18 kms from Betanzos. Just beyonds casaJulia starts a steep hill. People call a taxi and let them drive to the albergue in Hospital de Bruma or O Meson do Vento (as we did) and next day they turn back down to casa Julia and walk back without backpack to the albergue or hostal o Meson Novo.
The owner of o Meson Novo picks you up down and next day takes you back down if you give him a call from there if you booked to stay in his hostal (highly remommended) you will have a problem by then because your group wo'nt fit into his small SEAT car :)
So being said before. Falcons idea of renting a minibus chasingcar fits perfectly in your plans.

If the Compostela is important be careful with having a 'minibus/chase car' which is very different to taking a taxi and then returning to the same spot to continue. However it might enable you to book 12 beds for more than one night in the larger towns and then keep returning to your previous day's stop point. Maybe Ferrol-Pontedeume-Betanzos-Ordes, where there is capacity for the number of folk. In May there will also be others looking for beds etc so there will be pressure on smaller places.
What is the maximum distance the slowest walker can achieve considering the hills?

If the Compostela is important be careful with having a 'minibus/chase car' which is very different to taking a taxi and then returning to the same spot to continue. However it might enable you to book 12 beds for more than one night in the larger towns and then keep returning to your previous day's stop point. Maybe Ferrol-Pontedeume-Betanzos-Ordes, where there is capacity for the number of folk. In May there will also be others looking for beds etc so there will be pressure on smaller places.
What is the maximum distance the slowest walker can achieve considering the hills?
Tia Valeria. On our way to Betanzos we met a group of about 50 pilgrims from Pontevedra accompanied by 5 minibuses. The buses were transporting the day-backpacks. We met them at the part where some steep hills are andsome of them stepped into the bus and were driven uphill and from there they continued walking .
They were astonished about our 7kgs weighing 50 liter backpacks we carried and offered us to put them in one of the buses. We refused and were even walking faster with our packs than they without :)
I spoke to some of them. They were walking every weekend ,had a diner and went home. One of them confirmed that they apply for a Compostela
they did this more often f.a. They walked from Sarria and from Tui.
Your solution sounds good concerning the places to stay so Whereswillie can think about it.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Tia Valeria. On our way to Betanzos we met a group of about 50 pilgrims from Pontevedra accompanied by 5 minibuses. The buses were transporting the day-backpacks. We met them at the part where some steep hills are andsome of them stepped into the bus and were driven uphill and from there they continued walking .
They were astonished about our 7kgs weighing 50 liter backpacks we carried and offered us to put them in one of the buses. We refused and were even walking faster with our packs than they without :)
I spoke to some of them. They were walking every weekend ,had a diner and went home. One of them confirmed that they apply for a Compostela
they did this more often f.a. They walked from Sarria and from Tui.
Your solution sounds good concerning the places to stay so Whereswillie can think about it.
Thank you once more Albertinho & Tia Valeria
Most of the group met yesterday and resolved to book flights and take it step by step from there - probably splitting the places we will stay (i.e. some in albergues and some in hotels). The most remarkable part of the meeting was that one man said "I want to come but I won't be able to do the walk" - and behold we have our support driver and therefore much more flexibility in where we might stay!! Now back to "Gronze" and the phones!! Will keep you posted - but we're committed and on our way. Many thanks once more for all your help.
John

Thank you once more Albertinho & Tia Valeria
Most of the group met yesterday and resolved to book flights and take it step by step from there - probably splitting the places we will stay (i.e. some in albergues and some in hotels). The most remarkable part of the meeting was that one man said "I want to come but I won't be able to do the walk" - and behold we have our support driver and therefore much more flexibility in where we might stay!! Now back to "Gronze" and the phones!! Will keep you posted - but we're committed and on our way. Many thanks once more for all your help.
John
Just find the hotels in Booking.com, google the names and most of the time you will find their own websites and can approach them directly.

Ask in Spain allways after a "discuento tercera edad". Which means a discount price for pensioners unless your group exist of young "flowers and young gods " as you know what I mean :)
On trains, long distance buses , museums etc they often offer a special price for the elderly flowers and gods !

Just find the hotels in Booking.com, google the names and most of the time you will find their own websites and can approach them directly.

Ask in Spain allways after a "discuento tercera edad". Which means a discount price for pensioners unless your group exist of young "flowers and young gods " as you know what I mean :)
On trains, long distance buses , museums etc they often offer a special price for the elderly flowers and gods !

Albertinho
We are definitely "senior" flowers and gods!! Thanks again.
John

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello again you very helpful members of the Pilgrim Community!!

Our plans are proceeding Ok with all accommodation booked and participants in training!! However, we have had a slight set back in that the we no longer have the support vehicle available. Does anyone please know of:
a) any company undertaking baggage transfers on the Camino Ingles? and
b) any minibus / taxis operating in the area of Meson do Vento / Ordes who might be able to shuttle us from the route to our accommodation at Pension o Meson Novo?
We would be very grateful of any suggestions / information.
Thanks.

John

Some-one posted that Jacotrans now transports baggage on the Camino Inglés. We found that it was possible to get taxi numbers as we went along and carried one for the next stop along the route each day 'just in case'. Have you lost the transport or the driver? and do you need transport for all 12 of you? If so a minibus rather than taxi could be cheaper but would need local knowledge to give you details. One of the places you have booked into might be the best help.
Do you have fixed dates yet? (PM if not wanting them public :)) Are you staying at the albergue in Miño or have you managed to find accomodation elsewhere. We have not managed to make contact yet with the alternatives.

Hello again you very helpful members of the Pilgrim Community!!
Some-one posted that Jacotrans now transports baggage on the Camino Inglés. We found that it was possible to get taxi numbers as we went along and carried one for the next stop along the route each day 'just in case'.

Yes Jacotrans now transports baggage on the Camino Inglés. email <jacotransleon@gmail.com> and José Luis Rodríguez speaks very good English!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes Jacotrans now transports baggage on the Camino Inglés. email <jacotransleon@gmail.com> and José Luis Rodríguez speaks very good English!
Thanks as ever Tia Valeria and Pilgrim B - most helpful. To clarify, it is our support driver who is no longer coming on the pilgrimage with us (as his wife has had to withdraw for health reasons); we have the dates fixed (9th to 16th May) and we are not looking to stay at the Mino albergue as we are doing Pontedeume to Betanzos in one hit. - and Yes our next step will be to contact our accommodation for mini-bus phone numbers. Thanks again. John

Hi John.
I live in West Sussex and have done both the Ingles and the Tui - Santiago routes with friends of various ages. If you want, please contact me, I would be very happy to give you any lowdown I can re: accomodation (other than albergues)/transport used etc, etc.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi John.
I live in West Sussex and have done both the Ingles and the Tui - Santiago routes with friends of various ages. If you want, please contact me, I would be very happy to give you any lowdown I can re: accomodation (other than albergues)/transport used etc, etc.
Hello Judy. Thank you very much for your kind offer - I'm sure it would be very useful to talk through where we are up to and things we may have omitted. I'm not very familiar with the protocols for these forums (fora?) - do we now go to a Private Conversation? Cheers John

Hello Judy. Thank you very much for your kind offer - I'm sure it would be very useful to talk through where we are up to and things we may have omitted. I'm not very familiar with the protocols for these forums (fora?) - do we now go to a Private Conversation? Cheers John
On the forum, part Caminho Portugese here, you can read everything about walking the last 100 kms from Valença do Minho or Tui to Santiago with almost daily updates and information. There is also a Coastal caminho which you could start for example in A Guarda or Baiona to get your Compostela.

I walked the caminho Portugese from Lisbon and the camino Inglès too but must say the Inglès is much more tougher than the Portugese. steeper hills for example .
If you like more social contacts choose for the Portugese.

Yes, I suppose Private Conversation is the best but I'm not sure how it works! So if you prefer, here's the email: judydaisy@gmail.com

We walked the Camino last year in 6 days with no training and to be honest day 1 almost ended our Camino (my blog is on this forum).

It is a very long stage from Ferrol to Pontedueme and we both suffered. The decision if we should carry on, on day 2 was touch and go.

We will be walking again in July and will be splitting day one stopping at Neda and again splitting the Betanzos to Bruma route at Bar Julia.

Really looking forward to it and will be better prepared and more fitter, with 'better' prepared footwear also.

Buen Camino....it will be an unforgettable journey.

We walked the Camino last year in 6 days with no training and to be honest day 1 almost ended our Camino (my blog is on this forum).

It is a very long stage from Ferrol to Pontedueme and we both suffered. The decision if we should carry on, on day 2 was touch and go.

We will be walking again in July and will be splitting day one stopping at Neda and again splitting the Betanzos to Bruma route at Bar Julia.

Really looking forward to it and will be better prepared and more fitter, with 'better' prepared footwear also.

A wise decision to split up and be prepared !
Buen camino and hope to read about your experiences again Balian !

Wow Balian, doing the ingles again? mine is just coming up in May.

I can't wait.

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi The Way Pension in Brea, usually the last stop before Sanitago, might be able to meet your groups needs in that they have alburgue rooms and also en suite rooms. Take a look at their website at http://theway.org.es/ Good luck
Aren't you on the wrong camino ? The camino Inglès comes in from the north
A Brea as far as I can see is south east of Santiago

Hi,Balian.Like you we are splitting up the Inglese but at Naron not Neda on day one(That way we have a nice easy first day and hotel accommodation as we are past our best at 66 and 71 years old!!) Last year (Sarria to Santiago) which was our first camino,I had a couple of championship winning blisters so I too will be sorting out new footwear long before we leave. Really looking forward to September.
Joe.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Peregrinos

My first post (on any forum!) to ask for assistance please!

I am helping to organize a pilgrimage in May 2015 on the Camino Ingles for a church group of circa 12 – mainly “late middle aged” – participants from Sussex. We are looking at flying from LGW to Santiago then taking the bus back to Ferrol to start the walk. Our return flight from Santiago will be 7 days later. The participants have different aspirations for accommodation – some wanting the full “albergue” experience and some preferring a little more luxury – and, again, some wanting baggage transfer facilities. Given these different requirements and our wish to walk, talk and eat and drink together, I thought we would probably need to stop in the larger centres and therefore largely follow the route as described in the CSJ guide book i.e.
1) Ferrol to Pontedeume 25k
2) Pontedeume to Betanzos 20k
3) Betanzos to Bruma 29k
4) Bruma to Sigueiro 24k
5) Sigueiro to Santiago 18k

We would have time to put in an extra day on the walk but my impression is that accommodation is a bit sparse in the middle section. So my initial (I’m sure there will be many more) questions are please:

a) Would you think this schedule is OK? – or are there other splits that may be preferable?
b) Any comments / recommendations for accommodation based on the above?
c) Anything known about accommodation in Naron / Neda?
d) Any hints on possible breaks in section 3?

Many thanks in anticipation.

John W

I did the camino ingles in July 2013.I think you are right to go for the larger centres. The albergue at Bruma offered the opportunity to book an evening meal which you might want to consider for a large group
Betanzos to Bruma is a tough 29 km- Check out the profile map to get an idea of the terrain- With a large group, there may be some who need to move more slowly.Not sure of the accommodation but the link below might help

http://todosloscaminosdesantiago.com/caminoingles-etapa2/
Buen camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello Peregrinos

It's a long time since my first post - last August - but we leave tomorrow (9th May)!!
We are 12 - we fly from Gatwick to SdC, bus to El Ferrol, then:
Saturday 9 miles to Neda
Sunday 10 miles to Pontedeume
Monday 13 miles to Betanzos
Tuesday 11 miles to Bar Julia (Shuttle to Meson o Vento)
Wednesday 14 miles to near Ordes (Shuttle to Meson o Vento)
Thursday 14 miles to Formaris
Friday 6 miles to Santiago
Saturday Fly home
Hope this all works out - obviously!!
Will be using baggage transfers and accommodation will be split Albergue & Hotel / Pension for nights 1 to 3 then all together thereafter.
Will write up when we return and comment on the schedule and accommodation. Wish us luck!!

Where's Willie

Best of luck. I will be following your progress as I am planning to do this Camino next year
Buen Camino

John

So @Whereswillie, how did you get on? You were walking the same week we were and I'm dying to know if yours was the group we crossed paths with at Pontedeume & Betanzos and lastly at Bar Julia - just before we headed off to tackle the mother of 'oh bugger' hills!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Best of luck. I will be following your progress as I am planning to do this Camino next year
Buen Camino

John
Thank you all very much for all your help - particularly Tia Valeria, Falcon 269 (who motivated us from the start of the planning), Judydaisy who filled in plenty of detail and especially Albertinho - who assured us of the beautiful scenery on the route - he was right - even the built up bits were lovely!! So we made it and had a spectacular time in perfect weather - no rain at all. We kept to the schedule above which I will annotate with the accommodation used and follow up with a few overall bullet points - if of any interest.

Flew from Gatwick to SdC, private bus to El Ferrol (€300 for upto 16), then:
Saturday 9 miles to Neda - Nice flat start - 4 in Albergue (OK); 8 in Pension Maragoto - plain but very clean, good food and extremely helpful proprietors
Sunday 10 miles to Pontedeume - A more strenuous day but no problems. 4 in Albergue (Better than Neda); 8 in Hotel Eumesa - nice but nothing spectacular
Monday 13 miles to Betanzos - A tough day! Don't believe the Cicerone Guide to the Northern Caminos - it says "Total Ascent 220m" - it's more like 750m!! 4 in Albergue (Fantastic) and 8 in Hotel Garelos - most expensive night on the route (say €35 pp) but quality hotel
Tuesday 11 miles to Bar Julia - Great day -Taxi Shuttle to Meson o Vento - which was as good as everyone has said - nice rooms and brilliantly helpful people - Oh - and best coffee throughout!
Wednesday 14 miles to near Ordes The big climb from Bar Julia was big but doing it early in the day it didn't seem too bad - in fact the terrain gently undulates once that climb is out of the way. Ended the days walk at Bar Crusades in Poulo (Shuttle to Meson o Vento)
Thursday 14 miles to Formaris Another "not too stretching" day. The end was a little confused as we were booked into Hotel Castro which is on the N550 - about 1.5 km from where the camino leaves the main road (around Forte). The N550 is horribly busy and to avoid this road walk, we took a 4 km detour in a loop to the South of the road returning to it more or less opposite the hotel. On speaking with the hotel owner, it appears that he looking to get the main route reinstated to follow the N550 to his hotel - and then rejoin the "new route" shortly after. Suffice to say that rather than take the 4 km loop, we could have probably followed some scrubby yellow arrows at a safe distance from the N550 on its north side. Hotel very pleasant.
Friday 6 miles to Santiago A well timed stroll into Santiago to arrive in plenty of time to get our certificated and into the cathedral for noon Mass. We got in at about 11.30 and it was standing room only. Stayed at the
Hospedería San Martín Pinario - a "must"!!

Other points:
* All the locals could not have been more pleasant and helpful
* Used local taxi drivers for baggage transfers - co-ordinated by Don Laurenzo - a mate of Antonio of Meson o Vento
* We walked well as a group with the slower people being encouraged by the rest of us at various times dropping back and spending time with them
* About a third of the pilgrims suffered with blisters but only one was in a lot of pain - but in true pilgrim style ploughed on through it
* Prayers at 13.00 each day and at sometime each evening enhanced the experience
* Food, drink and accommodation were extremely good quality and extremely reasonable by UK standards.

So that's it - big success - great weather - happy to pass on any thoughts to others if required.

Buen Camino!!!

So @Whereswillie, how did you get on? You were walking the same week we were and I'm dying to know if yours was the group we crossed paths with at Pontedeume & Betanzos and lastly at Bar Julia - just before we headed off to tackle the mother of 'oh bugger' hills!

Hello Janel
Please see my far too long account above!! Yes all was good - were you the English couple who were staying at the Hotel Garelos in Betanzos? and how did you get on??!! Clearly you made it!
Cheers.

John

Hello Janel
Please see my far too long account above!! Yes all was good - were you the English couple who were staying at the Hotel Garelos in Betanzos? and how did you get on??!! Clearly you made it!
Cheers.

John

Yep, that was us! We did indeed make it - though after we left you at Bar Julia the going got HARD - the combination of doing the full stretch from Betanzos to Bruma in one hit (and thus getting the toughest bit of the whole camino in the afternoon and in full heat) plus then having to do another 8km after Bruma to get to our accommodation was really tough. We did consider getting a taxi at one point, but decided to just keep going, and although we were both exhausted we made it to the (very highly recommended) Casa Rural Doña Maria in time for a delicious and much needed meal at about 9pm.

I paid the price the next morning though - at points I was really struggling with physical & emotional exhaustion, and those long straight stretches were such a challenge. And we thought of you often and sent positive vibes for your climb up the hills! But somehow once we stopped for lunch (and a couple of paracetamol) my energies were renewed and we really enjoyed the rest of our camino. Maybe you had us in your lunchtime prayers!

We stayed at the Hotel San Vicente in Marantes for our last night, so we'd reaped the benefit of the extra 8km on the awful day by having a beautiful and relatively short and leisurely walk into SdC, arriving at 11am on the Thursday morning.

I kept hoping we'd see you on the Friday - and we ate at the Hospideria for dinner on the Friday evening and returned for breakfast on the Saturday morning before we headed off! - but I'm glad to know you all made it in one piece. Maybe our paths will cross again some day!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yep, that was us! We did indeed make it - though after we left you at Bar Julia the going got HARD - the combination of doing the full stretch from Betanzos to Bruma in one hit (and thus getting the toughest bit of the whole camino in the afternoon and in full heat) plus then having to do another 8km after Bruma to get to our accommodation was really tough. We did consider getting a taxi at one point, but decided to just keep going, and although we were both exhausted we made it to the (very highly recommended) Casa Rural Doña Maria in time for a delicious and much needed meal at about 9pm.

I paid the price the next morning though - at points I was really struggling with physical & emotional exhaustion, and those long straight stretches were such a challenge. And we thought of you often and sent positive vibes for your climb up the hills! But somehow once we stopped for lunch (and a couple of paracetamol) my energies were renewed and we really enjoyed the rest of our camino. Maybe you had us in your lunchtime prayers!

We stayed at the Hotel San Vicente in Marantes for our last night, so we'd reaped the benefit of the extra 8km on the awful day by having a beautiful and relatively short and leisurely walk into SdC, arriving at 11am on the Thursday morning.

I kept hoping we'd see you on the Friday - and we ate at the Hospideria for dinner on the Friday evening and returned for breakfast on the Saturday morning before we headed off! - but I'm glad to know you all made it in one piece. Maybe our paths will cross again some day!

Thanks Janel. I remember you sitting at the bar in Bar Julia bracing yourselves for the next leg of your day and boy did it get hot that afternoon!! We had quite a wait for the taxi / shuttle so graduated to the local liqueurs - it was tough!! It would seem that you got to SdC a day before us but that we overlapped by most of Friday. I know it was busy but we did see most of our earlier fellow pilgrims in the city - and Yes - we did have a prayer each day for our fellow pilgrims!! As you say, a great experience and perhaps our paths will cross - I'm looking at St Cuthbert's Way next May - see you there!! Best regards. John

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Buen camino, @rlr9200 !

Top tip: get the map of Ferrol from the tourist office by the start point, and get them to mark the route out of town on it for you. The current roadworks make it easy to get lost, and we didn't see many waymarks as we went through the more industrial parts - they may have been there but it takes a while to 'get your eye in' so to speak. We'd have got completely confused without the map!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.