• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

38 Litre or 48 Litre backpack?

PeteT70

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk the Camino from St.-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Santiago de Compostela May - June 2016.
Hi all, yes I know there's a lot of threads discussing pack weights and sizes. But with so many hundreds of different ideas it just didn't given me the clarity that I'd hoped for.

Ok so I'm aware of the 10% maximum pack weight to body weight guide, and I'm attempting to keep my pack weight around 7kg, maybe less as I research equipment and find lighter options.

Im a male of 44, fitness improving etc. already started training.
I intend to walk the Camino Frances in May and June 2016.
I'll mainly stay in the pilgrim hostels and accommodation.
Unlikely camping out. Though I wouldn't rule out the odd night if conditions are right.
And I'm taking a 890g 2 season sleeping bag.
But not taking a tent at all.

Having now found a backpack that I like; Osprey Kestrel range etc, my question is, should I buy the 38 or 48 Litre backpack?
Thank you.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Good luck with your planning and training. I just returned 10 days ago and used the kestrel 38 for the second time. Probably a bit big even.
I might suggest you mightn't need a sleeping bag in June and July. I probably didn't need mine for April / May. Take a sleeping sheet or silk liner which will save weight and space.

Buen camino

I used a kestrel 48 more room than needed, but a 38 will do fine as long as you won't take a sleeping bag. As mentioned above. More of the question will you use it when you return on back country trips. A 38 is not big enough for tent food stove sleeping bag. This will definitely put the walking bug in you.
Have a great time!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I used a kestrel 48 more room than needed, but a 38 will do fine as long as you won't take a sleeping bag. As mentioned above. More of the question will you use it when you return on back country trips. A 38 is not big enough for tent food stove sleeping bag. This will definitely put the walking bug in you.
Have a great time!

Yes I'm taking a sleeping bag, it's 890g.

A 38 li pack should be more than enough for a bare pack weight of 7kg, even if that doesn't include the weight of the pack. I can achieve this even with a sleeping bag, but if you are concerned that it might not, take your gear with you and test load it in the store before you commit to buying a specific size.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Another vote for the 38. It will make you rethink everything you bring with you - have a look at all the packinglists and comments on this forum. I started with a 44L for seven days and recently did three weeks with a 30 litre pack (without sleeping bag, but I still had room for it). You really don't need any more space for a sleeping bag, a spare set of clothing, jacket and rain gear, wash bag and a pair of sandals. You can even get a bocadillo and a banana in there, I bet!

Last edited:
The weight differance is not that great between the two packs I would then say the 48 for future use after the Camino.
I can see where your thinking is going here, but it seems to me a big step from walking the Camino to suddenly becoming a regular bushwalker and needing to carry a tent, cooking gear etc. My feeling is the temptation to fill it will be too great - I know that it is with me if I am not careful - and it would be better to get the smaller pack.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I can see where your thinking is going here, but it seems to me a big step from walking the Camino to suddenly becoming a regular bushwalker and needing to carry a tent, cooking gear etc. My feeling is the temptation to fill it will be too great - I know that it is with me if I am not careful - and it would be better to get the smaller pack.
I agree especially not knowing the country or background of the person. I do have to laugh as we all go as light as we can, but I started finding very good equipment left going out of Sarria. So it added about 2kg & I had the space. But by that time it felt like no added weight. I gifted the items to my hunting partners here as they were GPS units.

All useful points to consider, and thanks to the commenters so far.
I do plan on other trekking adventures after the Camino, as to where I don't know at this point. As to what other equipment I would need for those trips again I don't know.
So for now i'm just focusing on the right equipment (as best as) for the Camino.
But I'm still not completely convinced which size to go for.

I have lightweight Lowe Alpine packs in both sizes. I need the 48L when I take a sleeping bag. The 38L is find with no bag. The weight difference between the two is negligible, and the larger pack makes packing easier, and my bread does not get smashed, so I usually take it regardless of the presence of a sleeping bag.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I carried the Osprey 26L Stratos. More than enough for a summer Camino. For a couple of days it even swallowed my hiking boots before I ultimately donated them in Santo Domingo.

I know you want to take your sleeping bag. I bought a similar one. It looked so small and innocent. I'm so glad I left it at home. It would have been unnecessary, and I would have had to mail it back (actually, planning on taking for the mountains and them mailing back from Pamplona is not a bad idea at all).

Ultreia,
Jo Jo

Hello!

I used Osprey Kestrel 58 and my backpack was 11kg with everything (including sleeping bag, sleeping pad). No problems! Very comfortable for me. I had space in it. You never know when you will need it (for example: food or something)..:)

Happy planning!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I went in May both times and carried a lighter sleeping system than you (620 grams) of very compressible down; but my pack weight including the bag "ended up" around the 7 kg you are aiming for.

I say "ended up" because the first time I went I borrowed a Kestral 48 and took too much kit. I jettisoned some in Estella; posting home about 2 kg.

The second time I went I bought a Kestral 38 (in the small size, which actually lowered the pack capacity to 36 litres), and it provided more than enough room for my kit and snacks.

Last edited:
Take whatever sits comfortably on your back when fully packed with what you intend to take and worn for seven hours per day.....mine is 60l quarter full and comfortable all day long.....size only matters if you try to fill it to capacity. Just my opinion sure others will dis agree x Buen Camino

Keep in mind some folks with very small packs are walking in very warm weather & are staying in hostels that provide bedding. Towels So ask them to clarify

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I agree with everyone that focuses on the fit.
If the bigger pack fits better (more comfortably with all your gear) get it. I took my entire planned gear (sleeping bag, clothes, water, etc.) to the store with me and tried on the packs. That way you will know what works best for your "stuff".

First blush would say go smaller to address the temptation of taking more weight with you. But if you have good self-control, a bigger pack may be more comfortable.

Rambler

Welcome to the forum Pete, here’s my 2cents worth . .
I always walk with a large-ish pack (65l) but it is only part full. It has awesome straps, quality zips, front opening for easy access and a padded hip belt. These things are my considerations when purchasing a pack. After my caminos I normally spend time travelling in Europe so the extra space is for accumulated purchases (wink). The most important consideration is comfort so why not let go of the ‘lightest gear’ mindset and spend time trying on many different sizes and styles (loaded) to see what feels right for your frame. …. The preparation is so much a part of the camino adventure.
Cheers, Grace

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Pete,

I carried a 75litre Gregory pack on my recent Camino and I loved it. It's designed to carry a lot of weight so it was very comfortable. It fit my frame very well (which should be the primary thing that you consider when thinking of buying a pack). Plus, I could pack and repack very easily, it wasn't like a Tetris game where everything would only fit a certain way.
Just my $0.02

Ron

I think the empty backpack weight should be included in the total.
I think you will find that most people here on the forum follow the convention that bare pack weight (ie when loaded but without consumables) includes the weight of the pack itself.

On some other matters, the size of pack needed is pretty closely related to one's walking weight and the load one is going to carry as a result. My advice is for a summer camino, without trying to really squeeze things in or have to look like a Christmas tree, your pack size (in litres) needs to be about half your body weight (in kg). Add 25-50% for spring and autumn, up to 100% for winter.

Hi Pete,

I carried a 75litre Gregory pack on my recent Camino and I loved it. It's designed to carry a lot of weight so it was very comfortable. It fit my frame very well (which should be the primary thing that you consider when thinking of buying a pack). Plus, I could pack and repack very easily, it wasn't like a Tetris game where everything would only fit a certain way.
Ron
Which Gregory pack was that, and what was your bare pack weight?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As others said, weight difference negligible: for instance
Osprey Exos 38 (M) 1.05 kg
Osprey Exos 48 (M). 1.13 kg
I have the 48, total weight inc. backpack around 5 kg without water. Served me well for another much longer pilgrimage carrying tent etc. whereas the 38 would have been too small. If you can, bring your stuff to the shop and see how it all fits and how comfortable the backpacks are. The smaller size should be enough for the Camino but might not necessarily be the most comfortable...
Enjoy your preparations!

I carried the Osprey 26L Stratos. More than enough for a summer Camino. For a couple of days it even swallowed my hiking boots before I ultimately donated them in Santo Domingo.

I know you want to take your sleeping bag. I bought a similar one. It looked so small and innocent. I'm so glad I left it at home. It would have been unnecessary, and I would have had to mail it back (actually, planning on taking for the mountains and them mailing back from Pamplona is not a bad idea at all).

Ultreia,
Jo Jo

Hi JoJo, whilst I plan to lay my tired head at some hostelry, It may be that I may camp out on the odd occasion. The sleeping bag is hollow fibre, only 890g and compresses into a small package etc.
As long as my pack weight starts out low (7kg max inc the backpack) then i'll keep all things with me, and not give away things I've spent good money on etc. Im packing with the intention of using the things I take.
This forum has been amazing for advice an information, and the main things I've learned is to; pack light, and make sure your footwear is pukka!

I carry a 33 Liter pack (as the size is "small", it is actually a 31 Liter) WITH a sleeping bag. Less, less, less etc.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Then again; I am thinking that large packs also weights more than a smaller pack. And when carrying all stuff all the time, while walking - I think the empty backpack weight should be included in the total.

Comfort is the key to wonderful travel experience, so try different solutions and sizes.

I travel with Minaal 38l and Osprey Farpoint 40 with packboxes for business trips, and both are light weight, with excellent carrying systems.
For the Camino I will use the Osprey Farpoint 40, as it is more rugged and worn and thus more suited for the Camino.

It is easy to purchase additional bag/backpack in Santiago for continued traveling in Europe after the Camino.

my 2 cents.

Hi, yes I agree, backpack to be included in the total pack weight when the bag is full.
Next Monday im heading into Cotswold outdoor retailer who have kindly ordered in the Osprey Kestrel 38L and 48L, so that I can pack the bags in turn with my kit, weigh it, and wear it to see which one is more comfortable.

What is the bare weight of the pack? And if you are willing to share, what is your walking weight?
Currently 82 kg, but that is going down. Never the less, 7kg backpack total weight when full is my limit, less if I can.
The back packs im looking weigh 1.44 kg and 1.58kg respectively.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Doug, my empty Osprey Tallon 33 weighs in at 1 lb. 12 oz, I am around 140-145 lbs.

Currently 82 kg, but that is going down. Never the less, 7kg backpack total weight when full is my limit, less if I can.
The back packs im looking weigh 1.44 kg and 1.58kg respectively.
Pete I never asked but are packs hard to find try were you live? I love my osprey packs I have 3 of them 25/48/84liter but osprey has a new light weight pack called the Exos To clarify I don't sell packs but the 48 is 1.08k the 38 is .98 k they also have a 58. But if you can try & get those to try as well.
As you can see I have a monster pack for month long backcountry stays but that is more for hunting camps. What I really want you to understand is these light weight packs are designed to only carry minimum weight loads & have issues once you reach close to 15-20k. So if you plan on becoming a turtle like me you will end up needing an extra room just to store all this crap.

Last edited:
Pete I never asked but are packs hard to find try were you live? I love my osprey packs I have 3 of them 25/48/84liter but osprey has a new light weight pack called the Exos To clarify I don't sell packs but the 48 is 1.08k the 38 is .98 k they also have a 58. But if you can try & get those to try as well.
As you can see I have a monster pack for month long backcountry stays but that is more for hunting camps. What I really want you to understand is these light weight packs are designed to only carry minimum weight loads & have issues once you reach close to 20k. So if you plan on becoming a turtle like me you will end up needing an extra room just to store all this crap.
I have an abundance of choice of different back packs here in London.
There's so much choice it's overwhelming.
I like the Kestrels from Osprey, wasn't too keen on the 38L Exos if I'm being honest.

On Monday when I revisit the camping retailer to try the Kestrel 38 and 48, I may choose one of them.
But, if neither feel right then I'll pick a different brand. But I think the size I'm going for is ok, I just need to see how full the 38L is with my gear. As in, is the bag bulging to the point I should go for 48L.
Whilst I'm aiming to keep weight down, volume of my gear may mean a larger bag.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have an abundance of choice of different back packs here in London.
There's so much choice it's overwhelming.
I like the Kestrels from Osprey, wasn't too keen on the 38L Exos if I'm being honest.

On Monday when I revisit the camping retailer to try the Kestrel 38 and 48, I may choose one of them.
But, if neither feel right then I'll pick a different brand. But I think the size I'm going for is ok, I just need to see how full the 38L is with my gear. As in, is the bag bulging to the point I should go for 48L.
Whilst I'm aiming to keep weight down, volume of my gear may mean a larger bag.
One thing with the kestrel when you put 12kg in it adjust the straps that adjust the bag to the shoulder straps at the top of your shoulders make sure the bag is not far out & away from your body, otherwise you will be hunched over to compensate for the weight pulling you back wards. By using a heavy load to walk it around the store you will learn the value of using all those straps to keep your load tight & close to the body.
Most people lose at least a couple inches around the waste so make sure the hip belt will suck in 2-4 inches or whatever that is in CM . I think that hip belt could be better but it worked & held up just fine.

Ron
Which Gregory pack was that, and what was your bare pack weight?
Hi Doug,

I honestly couldn't tell you the name or what it weighs. It's in our storage locker now so I can't go check.
When I was shopping for a pack, the only considerations I had was whether it fit me well and was it comfortable. The fact that it was 10, 20, 30 or however many grams heavier than another pack was irrelevant to me.
It's kinda like my shoes. I know they were Merrels. I have no idea what style or brand they were or what they weighed. They fit me well and were comfortable. That all I needed to know.

Ron

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi
Take whatever sits comfortably on your back when fully packed with what you intend to take and worn for seven hours per day.....mine is 60l quarter full and comfortable all day long.....size only matters if you try to fill it to capacity. Just my opinion sure others will dis agree x Buen Camino
Hi Fiona,

If you're only filling a 60L pack a quarter of the way, then you're carrying all that extra weight unnecessarily it would seem.

The reason why I want to take the optimum size pack is so that over all I keep the pack weight to a minimum.
No sense in me buying a large pack and paying more (even if it's comforts me) only to find that I only fill it a quarter or half to capacity.
Here in the UK the cost of everything is high, Internet shopping does help save money, but the cheapest I can get a Kestrel pack is £86. In the store it's £100 - £110.
Hence I don't want to buy big and pay more.

Also if you should need a bigger pack later ... oh, wait, why would you? Walking with a smaller pack and nothing but essentials will teach you to pack better for other adventures too, hence my move from a 44 to a 30 litre pack for travel, camino walking and other -even camping - trips.

I honestly couldn't tell you the name or what it weighs. It's in our storage locker now so I can't go check.
When I was shopping for a pack, the only considerations I had was whether it fit me well and was it comfortable. The fact that it was 10, 20, 30 or however many grams heavier than another pack was irrelevant to me.
It's kinda like my shoes. I know they were Merrels. I have no idea what style or brand they were or what they weighed. They fit me well and were comfortable. That all I needed to know.
Ron, there seemed to be a couple of 75li packs on the Gregory website, one quite light for its volume, and the other similar in weight to packs that I have around that size. The weight difference seems to be around 800gm, which is a reasonable amount extra to carry.

I agree that in many cases, where the extra weight goes to ensuring comfortable load carrying, that is entirely justified. However, if one is carrying a much larger pack, some of the extra weight is in the bag itself, and not the harness. My view is that is unnecessary dead weight, and best avoided.

Also if you should need a bigger pack later ... oh, wait, why would you? Walking with a smaller pack and nothing but essentials will teach you to pack better for other adventures too, hence my move from a 44 to a 30 litre pack for travel, camino walking and other -even camping - trips.
I can say I agree with you partly, yes it does teach to pack lightly. But there is an element of competition in folks trying to get to the lightest pack when the factor of a little space makes things easy & comfortable.

There is something to be said about having things that will make the journey a little more friendly an example would be the coil that heats water, a deck of playing cards that you share with others & you learn their culture from it. If you think about the pilgrims who walked hundreds of years before us did they have all this modern stuff?

My wife reminds me all the time that older men have the need to be know-it-all in some examples that is true :)

Oh, I agree. I am not advocating minimalism for its own sake, or going without a cherished comfort item like a Kindle to read at night (I take one), a deck of cards or a coil to make tea and coffee, it's the superfluous things people think they need: the extra set of (nicer) clothes, the huge washbags with lots of different products, the laptops, hair dryers and heavy books. Take it, it's fine as long as you are comfortable carrying them. However most people would be more comfortable not carrying them, and a smaller bag makes that even visually clearer. If anyone thinks I am bragging or being competitive in my packing they are actually wrong: I just want to know - and show - how little you actually need compared to what you might think you need. (It took three caminos to get there though ...)

Some great points made by Nidarosa and MTtoCamino.

My personal reason for packing light is that my knees aren't the best, and i'm prone to blistering. Therefore like a sponge I have been soaking up lots and lots of advice from this forum from those that have completed the Camino, as well as advice from retailers such as Cotswold Outdoors in terms of pack fitting etc.
My aim is to pack a couple of things like a deck of card, and in my experience from my long haul travels backpacking this is one of the essentials, as is a sense of humour!!
But essentially I do want to pack light so save my poor knees from as much discomfort as is possible, hence I am going to use a walking pole too.

Off topic; I'm testing out various equipment and accessories before I head out on the Camino. So last night I tested the Lifeventure Shampoo Leaves, only £3 for a box of 50 shampoo leaves. Thought it was a nifty idea, and its lightweight.
However, the issue is (obviously) that when you take the leaves from the box you have to do this with dry hands/ fingers.
How many people have dry hands as they reach for a bottle of shampoo ... in normal cases!?
It was a quick no no for me.
I could just see myself getting the box of shampoo leaves wet, they'll congeal and that will be the end of what was in theory a good idea. Trying to keep the product dry when you're attempting to shower would be a real pain.
So i'm going to stick to a 100ml bottle All purpose liquid soap.

Three things.

1. I believe that 36l is the largest volume that will make it as carry-on luggage.

2. Pack discussions tend to focus on volume (e. g. 28 vs 36 vs 60L). I would suggest that load is another metric to consider. The oft mentioned Osprey brand has several types of bags in the 36L range, that differ in terms of recommended load. There are also a couple of features that you may look for (ex. top loading vs. hybrid (zippered back))

3. If at all possible, deal with a store that will allow trial and exchange.

I personally ended up with an Osprey Stratos 36. I wish I could have compared with the Kestrel (very similar but more load-oriented than the stratos) but was not possible at the store and not clear that more time spent debating the finer points of backpacking technology would eventually result in a better outcome

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Some great points made by Nidarosa and MTtoCamino.

My personal reason for packing light is that my knees aren't the best, and i'm prone to blistering. Therefore like a sponge I have been soaking up lots and lots of advice from this forum from those that have completed the Camino, as well as advice from retailers such as Cotswold Outdoors in terms of pack fitting etc.
My aim is to pack a couple of things like a deck of card, and in my experience from my long haul travels backpacking this is one of the essentials, as is a sense of humour!!
But essentially I do want to pack light so save my poor knees from as much discomfort as is possible, hence I am going to use a walking pole too.

Off topic; I'm testing out various equipment and accessories before I head out on the Camino. So last night I tested the Lifeventure Shampoo Leaves, only £3 for a box of 50 shampoo leaves. Thought it was a nifty idea, and its lightweight.
However, the issue is (obviously) that when you take the leaves from the box you have to do this with dry hands/ fingers.
How many people have dry hands as they reach for a bottle of shampoo ... in normal cases!?
It was a quick no no for me.
I could just see myself getting the box of shampoo leaves wet, they'll congeal and that will be the end of what was in theory a good idea. Trying to keep the product dry when you're attempting to shower would be a real pain.
So i'm going to stick to a 100ml bottle All purpose liquid soap.
Oh no! Your knee issue is some very critical info.
You have taught me a very good lesson, not to assume you are the human pack animal I am. I want this to be the best walk you have ever taken. So with all the great people I met with knee issues, please start out slowly use the very smallest lightest pack you can get the least amount of stuff in. Be prepared to pay for knee braces at the local pharmacies & consider starting in Pamplona.

Oh no! Your knee issue is some very critical info.
You have taught me a very good lesson, not to assume you are the human pack animal I am. I want this to be the best walk you have ever taken. So with all the great people I met with knee issues, please start out slowly use the very smallest lightest pack you can get the least amount of stuff in. Be prepared to pay for knee braces at the local pharmacies & consider starting in Pamplona.

Indeed, and to that end I have already started taking precautions in my training which only started this week.
To go into a bit more detail, my training is progressive and slow and is as such;
Treadmill at the gym - walking 5 km's at a steady pace of a 15 minute/ Km.
No backpack, just my trekking shoes and Bridgedale socks so that I can break in my new footwear.
I'll do this for a couple of weeks.

Progress to 10km's at a steady pace of 15 minute/ km.
Again no back pack.

Should easily have broken in my new trekking shoes after a month of this at 3 session per week in the gym, and subject to no blistering and no knee issues I'll take to the streets to walk by the road, and through local parks on grassland again starting with a 5km walk, and if all seems well i'll step that up to 10km walk.
Bound to be more impact on my knees walking tarmac and paved streets so as long as I don't suffer with knee issues, that's when i'll add my back pack and start walking, try a 5km walk and see how it goes, then building up to longer and longer walks.
As the year progresses i'll mix the training up with back to back days walking (weekends).

You might ask why all the kerfuffle with the progressive itinerary, well, I don't want to worsen or cause unnecessary injury to my knees. So taking it easy with a training schedule that slowly conditions me is better, listen to my body and go with it.
After all, I do have 11 months to prep for my walk, which I intend to do May/ June 2016.

Totally off topic but since it is your thread I hope you'll forgive me :) there is a way of going downhill (on steep descents) which I learnt ie copied when going down to Roncesvalles the first time (I had meant to follow the road but got it wrong :rolleyes:).
You basically zig zag downhill, could someone more experienced than me please explain it better? Makes all the difference on the knees!

PS Looking at your timing, you have plenty of time to get much fitter than any of us! :D

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I know what you mean and do this myself - you basically walk across the road/track in a zigzag or slalom way instead of taking the descent head on. Not as hard on the knees because it is not so steep that way.

Do you mean walk kinda side ways like a crab as you descend lol. Small steps with your walking pole in front to steady you?
Or do you literally mean walk zig zag which to me seems like exerting more energy.
But I'm here to learn from those that know.

I believe that 36l is the largest volume that will make it as carry-on luggage.
Using luggage straps to cinch it up, my Kelty Redwing (50 liters) was carry-on legal and I had no problem carrying it on when flying to Paris and then Biarritz. Threw out the straps on arrival, so I checked the pack coming home.

Karl

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Indeed, and to that end I have already started taking precautions in my training which only started this week.
To go into a bit more detail, my training is progressive and slow and is as such;
Treadmill at the gym - walking 5 km's at a steady pace of a 15 minute/ Km.
No backpack, just my trekking shoes and Bridgedale socks so that I can break in my new footwear.

Progress to 10km's at a steady pace of 15 minute/ km.
Again no back pack.

Should easily have broken in my new trekking shoes after a month of this at 3 session per week in the gym, and subject to no blistering and no knee issues I'll take to the streets to walk by the road, and through local parks on grassland again starting with a 5km walk, and if all seems well i'll step that up to 10km walk.
Bound to be more impact on my knees walking tarmac and paved streets so as long as I don't suffer with knee issues, that's when i'll add my back pack and start walking, try a 5km walk and see how it goes, then building up to longer and longer walks.
As the year progresses i'll mix the training up with back to back days walking (weekends).

You might ask why all the kerfuffle with the progressive itinerary, well, I don't want to worsen or cause unnecessary injury to my knees. So taking it easy with a training schedule that slowly conditions me is better, listen to my body and go with it.
After all, I do have 11 months to prep for my walk, which I intend to do May/ June 2016.
Yes the slower you take the training schedule & progress the better it is in the long run the tough part it seems is the daily routine. But in the end if you maintain it seems to make it stick for a life time habit.
I had to go thru some heart rehab so I know what it is like to get back to living the way one should.
The other thing that us Americans can do is be somewhat insulting as we flap our lips before we think. This I am sure will create some push back but I spent enough years in combat to flap my lips.
So what I am about to say isn't meant to insult. I just want you to know it is ok if you find the day has come & the knees end up just not able to go on, take a bus, taxi or whatever means to continue the journey at your pace. This is a very personal journey it is only yours. You will find some very kind hearted pilgrims along the way. We all only wish you the best.
Keith

I bought a small MacPac for this years Camino. My last large sack was made by them, it was really comfortable and of good quality - lasted 20+ years of really hard use.
I took the approach that any pack needs to be small enough to get on the plane as hand luggage on the low cost airlines from the UK (Easyjet and Ryanair). Not sure exactly what size it is in litres but with everything in it weighs under 5kg (which is around what I took last year and had no problems). No sleeping bag but am thinking of putting in my bivi bag instead of a tent- which is well under a kg. I have a silk sleeping inner bag which should be OK at a push for June in Spain in a bivi.

Do you mean walk kinda side ways like a crab as you descend lol. Small steps with your walking pole in front to steady you?
Or do you literally mean walk zig zag which to me seems like exerting more energy.
But I'm here to learn from those that know.

Nope, I have had to do the 'like a crab descent' lol but not on the camino. What I meant was you do a zigzagging descent and it's easier on the knees. Yes, you cover more ground but it seems to be easier somehow. All the peeps who had knee problems swore by it, that's all I know. Help, the experts? Lol

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Nope, I have had to do the 'like a crab descent' lol but not on the camino. What I meant was you do a zigzagging descent and it's easier on the knees. Yes, you cover more ground but it seems to be easier somehow. All the peeps who had knee problems swore by it, that's all I know. Help, the experts? Lol
I am no expert on this, but basically you are reducing the effective slope. This is because you extend the distance taken to cover the same rise or fall. The same effect happens when going up or down hill on a steep roadway. If you walk on the outside of the curve, the road won't be as steep as on the inside, and easier to walk. If you haven't thought of this, look at the difference next time you walk such a road, eg where it bends sharply back on itself, and compare the differences between the slope on the inside and outside of the curve.

The reason this is easier on the knees is that you will reduce the lever length formed by your legs, and the size of the arc through which your knee moves. Think about lifting a heavy object - you don't do that with your arms outstretched normally, but hold the object close to your body. I think it is much the same here.

The other way of achieving the same effect is to take quite short steps on steep ascents.

Using luggage straps to cinch it up, my Kelty Redwing (50 liters) was carry-on legal and I had no problem carrying it on when flying to Paris and then Biarritz. Threw out the straps on arrival, so I checked the pack coming home.

Karl

Depends on the airline. 40litres is the max volume for some discount airlines. Some are smaller. Some are slightly bigger.

BUT that assumes your pack is shaped to fit the sizing cage . Most real back packs are long and narrow. You'll need a smaller pack just for that reason.

To the OP. There isn't a huge size difference between 38l and 48l. 38Large will be more like 40l. A 48short will be more like 46l.

Or think of this way. Two packs both 20cm thick.

The 48l could be 49x49x20

The 38l could be 44x44x20

My guess is most people would need a tape measure to see the difference.

My guess is most people would need a tape measure to see the difference.
From the Osprey web site:
  • Kestral 48 dimensions: 71 x 33 x 33 (cm)
  • Kestral 38 dimensions: 70 x 30 x 28 (cm)
Both are over the 115cm linear dimension maximum used by some airlines, although the 38li is not that much bigger. I guess it will depend on the airline staff at check in or boarding whether it is going to be allowed on as cabin baggage.

Both are over the 115cm linear dimension maximum used by some airlines, although the 38li is not that much bigger. I guess it will depend on the airline staff at check in or boarding whether it is going to be allowed on as cabin baggage.

Off the top of my head I can't think of one EU airline that would allow either of those for carry on. Maybe on transatlantic flights?

Those numbers are a good example of how small the size difference really is.

Also be aware that Osprey tend to give measurements based on a full pack, so with the lid pocket stuffed and sitting on top of the main bag. The back panel on either Osprey Large will be 55-60 cms I think. Strap it down and you'll be okay, but one top tip is to bring a measuring tape to the shop when you try packs ...

Edit: Haven't got my husband's Osprey Talon 33L M/L pack here at the moment but I remember measuring it specifically to see if we could take it as hand luggage on Ryanair, and it was less than 55 cms. The 44 will be the same length but obviously with a larger volume, and both are very lightweight and practical so you might want to look at them too?

Speaking of the top has any one used a pack that has a top that turns into a fanny or hip pack in this 33-38 size? My very large pack does but it sure would be handy so you wouldn't have to bring along something else.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Doug .... As ever useful info thank you.
So many variables and factors to consider.
I'm also aware that I like to have my pack as carry on not checked in.
But, I may have to compromise this over having a pack that meets more important criteria.
But all advice will be considered.

Hi

Hi Fiona,

If you're only filling a 60L pack a quarter of the way, then you're carrying all that extra weight unnecessarily it would seem.

The reason why I want to take the optimum size pack is so that over all I keep the pack weight to a minimum.
No sense in me buying a large pack and paying more (even if it's comforts me) only to find that I only fill it a quarter or half to capacity.
Here in the UK the cost of everything is high, Internet shopping does help save money, but the cheapest I can get a Kestrel pack is £86. In the store it's £100 - £110.
Hence I don't want to buy big and pay more.

Comfort Was my main priority...the choice is yours to make.

I know what you mean and do this myself - you basically walk across the road/track in a zigzag or slalom way instead of taking the descent head on. Not as hard on the knees because it is not so steep that way.
I first learned the word "switchback" when descending with more experienced hikers into the Grand Canyon. It can be used as a verb or a noun:
"a zigzag road, trail, or section of railroad tracks for climbing a steep hill."

Leaving for SJPDP on Thursday. Have a Kestral 38 which will weigh in at just under 8kg. By no way could it be described as bursting at the seams.

I have read this thread with interest, as I am deciding what I shall take for my fall camino. I appreciate @dougfitz's comment that an autumn walk may require 25-50% more pack weight. I have struggled with trying to cut pack contents radically. This is funny, as I have never wanted or attempted to be a ultra-light backpacker and my load for the camino promises to be about half of what I carry for a backcounty trip. Should I leave out the set of long underwear? What about that spare (3rd) pair of soft wool socks? Last night, I woke in the night unable to sleep because my feet were cold and I had to get up to put some socks on. That settled that. I don't want to sleep cold. If I arrive in an unheated albergue late in the day soaking wet and freezing, I want a warm set of long underwear and dry wool socks to snuggle into and sleep in. Maybe I could lighten the weight if I shopped for the lightest available options in everything and ignored the cost. But I cannot do that. Oddly enough, after all the effort and thought, I am going back to my usual focus on comfort over weight, within reason. But thanks for helping me think it through.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have read this thread with interest, as I am deciding what I shall take for my fall camino. I appreciate @dougfitz's comment that an autumn walk may require 25-50% more pack weight. I have struggled with trying to cut pack contents radically. This is funny, as I have never wanted or attempted to be a ultra-light backpacker and my load for the camino promises to be about half of what I carry for a backcounty trip. Should I leave out the set of long underwear? What about that spare (3rd) pair of soft wool socks? Last night, I woke in the night unable to sleep because my feet were cold and I had to get up to put some socks on. That settled that. I don't want to sleep cold. If I arrive in an unheated albergue late in the day soaking wet and freezing, I want a warm set of long underwear and dry wool socks to snuggle into and sleep in. Maybe I could lighten the weight if I shopped for the lightest available options in everything and ignored the cost. But I cannot do that. Oddly enough, after all the effort and thought, I am going back to my usual focus on comfort over weight, within reason. But thanks for helping me think it through.

Altar irk, post your bad' sur content, and we mY be a le to give you a few food ideas. i am with toi, a good night's sleep is essential. But there might be a way to use the same items in multiple ways.

Altar irk, post your bad' sur content, and we mY be a le to give you a few food ideas. i am with toi, a good night's sleep is essential. But there might be a way to use the same items in multiple ways.

I think that you are inviting me to list my bag contents. This suggestion is about as attractive to me as doing a strip-tease, however, I cannot resist the kindness with which it is offered. My pack is a Gregory Z40 and weighs 1.3k.
In my bag when I am walking will be:
Sleeping bag: artificial fill as I am allergic to down (980g)
dry bag/day pack: for shopping, shower, keeping things dry in backpack, airplane carry-on, carrying if I send my pack ahead (290g)
Clothing: Rainwear: poncho (350g) and jacket (350g): jacket is for wear on cold or breezy as well as rainy days.
Icebreaker 260 weight long-sleeved hooded sweater (450g): long and cozy and I have slept in it as an extra layer.
Tilley walking skirt (330g)
merino short-sleeved base layer (125g)
1 brassiere and 2 pair merino underpants (130g)
lightweight cotton tshirt and shorts (200g) for sleeping in hot weather and shorts to wear under Tilley skirt to prevent chafing.
2 pair inner wool socks, 1 pair outer wool socks (300g)
warm tights and long sleeved undershirt (475g) tights and shirt can be worn as extra over merino layer, as pyjamas etc.
Nike spare shoes (550g)
Brierley with notepad and credential (380g)
travel wallet (on my person, not in pack) with passport, money, credit cards, travel address book (150g)
ipad mini with case, etc. (500g)
SPOT emergency beacon, small flashlight, whistle (175g)
repair kit: boot wax, sewing kit, duct tape etc. 100g.
laundry kit: soap powder, laundry line, pins, sink stopper, latex gloves, 1 plastic bag to carry damp item(s) if raining (250g)
toiletries: including toothpaste, bar of soap, shampoo, cream rinse, sun screen, small amount insect repellent, hand lotion, deodorant, Tiger Balm, vaseline, dental floss,comb, ear plugs (about 600g)
Vitamins Glucosamine etc. for joints and eye vitamins (both doctor recommended) (635g)
medications and first aid: not ready to weigh, but with prescription and non-prescription, first aid and knee support (about 400g)
plastic trowel and tissues (100g)
plastic drinking bottles, 2 small plastic containers and plastic spoon: (150g)
plus food and water (about 1 kilo water)
It looks like an awful lot of stuff.
All of the vitamins and laundry soap and most of the toiletries will be used up during the pilgrimage.

8 liter with molle attatchment is my gold standard pack.

Have not got this yet but am getying closet every day.

If you get a big pack you tend to take allot of extra unnecrssary items.

The camino is not an expedition.

I think that you are inviting me to list my bag contents.
(Have you thought about changing your name to Altar Irk? It has an interesting ring to it.)
You are experienced with hiking and backpacking, but if you are interested in ideas about how to reduce load, here are mine... I completely respect that some necessities for me may be frivolities to you, and vice versa. So I'm not trying to radically change what you're planning to carry.
  • At 290 g, the dry bag /day pack seems heavier than necessary. If you want to send your load ahead, consider removing all the contents and putting them in a large simple dry bag or pack liner. Send that bag ahead, and carry only what you need for the day in your tried and true regular backpack. I did this from SJPP to Roncesvalles last year, and was told that people often even use plastic garbage bags to send ahead. I still take a drawstring backpack (60 g) with me for shopping, cities, etc., but I wouldn't consider using it for the day on the camino. It is not adequate for walking all day.
  • I agree with the number of layers you have. The Icebreaker shirt is on the heavy side, but I think if I had one in my closet, I might take it anyway. However, if you have a lighter weight shirt to provide that layer of warmth, consider taking it instead, as well as a separate hat or buff.
  • Maybe you have more laundry things than necessary. I like to reduce clutter as much as weight, and fast get tired of asking myself "where did I put this or that" or thinking that I should use the stopper because I am carrying it. I am content to wash my clothes fast with a sock stuffed in the drain hole, and hang them creatively. I probably have 10 diaper pins distributed strategically throughout my belongings). Laundry soap should be available wherever there's a washing machine.
  • The glucosamine and vitamins are heavy (and bulky). Ask your doctor if a month without, or with a reduced intake, would be a problem.
  • I don't carry trowel or plastic containers. (I've been tempted to take a food container, but have told myself not to indulge this love of organization. I will have to live with a squashed tomato or two.) I just carry 1 or 2 small water bottles purchased in Spain, never exceeding a total of 600 mL.
  • Your spare Nike shoes are something I expect you've thought carefully about and have good reason for. (If not, consider leaving them and taking crocs or something similar. I have a pair that are much less conspicuous than brand name neon crocs.) Or, can you remove the Nike liners and use the same innersoles from your regular boots?
  • Brierley - Consider tearing it apart and leaving some pages behind. I carry the map book version as I like to look at a paper map throughout the day. Your ipad mini can hold all the extra reading.
You didn't mention gloves. I carry 2 pairs of very light liner gloves, one of them merino. I used them many days late in October.

(Have you thought about changing your name to Altar Irk? It has an interesting ring to it.)
You are experienced with hiking and backpacking, but if you are interested in ideas about how to reduce load, here are mine... I completely respect that some necessities for me may be frivolities to you, and vice versa. So I'm not trying to radically change what you're planning to carry.
  • At 290 g, the dry bag /day pack seems heavier than necessary. If you want to send your load ahead, consider removing all the contents and putting them in a large simple dry bag or pack liner. Send that bag ahead, and carry only what you need for the day in your tried and true regular backpack. I did this from SJPP to Roncesvalles last year, and was told that people often even use plastic garbage bags to send ahead. I still take a drawstring backpack (60 g) with me for shopping, cities, etc., but I wouldn't consider using it for the day on the camino. It is not adequate for walking all day.
  • I agree with the number of layers you have. The Icebreaker shirt is on the heavy side, but I think if I had one in my closet, I might take it anyway. However, if you have a lighter weight shirt to provide that layer of warmth, consider taking it instead, as well as a separate hat or buff.
  • Maybe you have more laundry things than necessary. I like to reduce clutter as much as weight, and fast get tired of asking myself "where did I put this or that" or thinking that I should use the stopper because I am carrying it. I am content to wash my clothes fast with a sock stuffed in the drain hole, and hang them creatively. I probably have 10 diaper pins distributed strategically throughout my belongings). Laundry soap should be available wherever there's a washing machine.
  • The glucosamine and vitamins are heavy (and bulky). Ask your doctor if a month without, or with a reduced intake, would be a problem.
  • I don't carry trowel or plastic containers. (I've been tempted to take a food container, but have told myself not to indulge this love of organization. I will have to live with a squashed tomato or two.) I just carry 1 or 2 small water bottles purchased in Spain, never exceeding a total of 600 mL.
  • Your spare Nike shoes are something I expect you've thought carefully about and have good reason for. (If not, consider leaving them and taking crocs or something similar. I have a pair that are much less conspicuous than brand name neon crocs.) Or, can you remove the Nike liners and use the same innersoles from your regular boots?
  • Brierley - Consider tearing it apart and leaving some pages behind. I carry the map book version as I like to look at a paper map throughout the day. Your ipad mini can hold all the extra reading.
You didn't mention gloves. I carry 2 pairs of very light liner gloves, one of them merino. I used them many days late in October.

Cclearly:
Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I agree with you for the weight of the dry bag and have considered leaving it behind, but so far I am considering the multiple uses of the bag and the fact that I already have it and do not have to buy anything else. Dry bags are so expensive at MEC that I don't want to have to purchase another unless essential. I'll continue to consider.
The Icebreaker shirt is cozy and has long sleeves with a thumb hole to pull over my hands instead of gloves. I don't wear gloves unless the temperature is below freezing. I am planning on walking slowly and am not returning to Canada until Nov. 30, so some warmth is needed.
The laundry kit is extensive but much of the weight is laundry powder, which I am planning to use for my daily laundry. The powder is lighter than liquid, concentrated, and is what I use at home. If I find that I have more clothespins than I need, I can pitch them. I just realized that I cannot use diaper pins on my merino wool garments, as they would end up full of holes, so I bought some miniature clothes pins at the dollar store.NOTE: I am cutting down on laundry powder and getting a local alternative when I run out. I also removed some clothes pegs (-75g).The cord is in my laundry kit, but is also for tying down my flapping poncho if I am walking in rain and strong wind. There is also a pair of very light latex gloves, which will probably be used for garbage pickup, as I always try to do when I walk trails. The sink stopper is for the laundry, but also for the occasion when I find a real bathtub, with no stopper, as I have in the past. If the Spanish tend to leave stoppers in their bathtubs, I may donate it to a laundry somewhere, but a real bath can be a blessing when joints are stiff and sore.
I agree with you about the weight of the vitamins, although their bulk is not that much. The glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM is a combination designed to improve joint function, which works for me. With my arthritis, I could not consider doing without them on a walk. The eye vitamins are to delay macular degeneration, which is creeping up on me. But I shall do without them for two months (-250g).
The trowel (50g) is for toilet use; with what I have heard about the condition of the Camino Frances I would not want to be without it.
I have considered an alternative to the Nikes and have recently bought a pair of plastic Birkenstocks. They are not adequate for the uses that I need for my spare footwear. I cannot wear crocs and have a purple pair gathering dust in my closet to prove it. I agree that it makes sense to leave the innersoles behind, particularly as the ones in my boots are orthotics (-50g).
I am fond of Brierley and have annotated the albergue references from the forum to help me choose where to stay. I think that he will be my main souvenir of my camino, as my every day will be remembered from there.
I have decided to try to decrease the weight of both toiletries and medicine/first aid (-100g from each). If I manage to do so, that should be 575 g total deduction, and the possible replacement of the dry bag/day pack with something lighter. Thanks very much for your help.

SPOT emergency beacon

A spot emergency beacon? Really? The Camino is rural, but it sure isn't remote like parts of the US and Canada, we use them for racing on dirt bikes, ATV's, buggies, and trucks because they do go into remote areas.

Doug .... As ever useful info thank you.
So many variables and factors to consider.
I'm also aware that I like to have my pack as carry on not checked in.
But, I may have to compromise this over having a pack that meets more important criteria.
But all advice will be considered.

A lot of airlines are moving away from the "linear measurements" and heading towards "must fit in the sizer bins with exact dimensions". I don't know about London, but in Canada a lot of travel agencies have carry-on sizer bins in their lobby and encourage travellers (even ones not using their agency) to stick their bags in it for fit before heading to the airport. It might give you the chance to load up the bag you choose, and experiment tightening the cinch straps on your pack to see if it fits in the sizer bins.

€83,-
A spot emergency beacon? Really? The Camino is rural, but it sure isn't remote like parts of the US and Canada, we use them for racing on dirt bikes, ATV's, buggies, and trucks because they do go into remote areas.
The Spot may be more of a comfort/visual for family left behind at home. My wife has indicated she'd be interested so as to keep track of my wanderings. I'm doing the Primitivo late September from Oviedo, and have read that route has some remote (i.e., cell free) stretches.

I used an Osprey Stratos 24 liter backpack from August through September 2015 on the camino. A smaller pack means less weight from the get go, and really forces you to limit yourself to exactly what you need and prevents you from picking up items on the way. 24 liters seemed to be just exactly perfect for my camino.

€83,-
I used an Osprey Stratos 24 liter backpack from August through September 2015 on the camino. A smaller pack means less weight from the get go, and really forces you to limit yourself to exactly what you need and prevents you from picking up items on the way. 24 liters seemed to be just exactly perfect for my camino.

I, too, used an Osprey 24 liter pack. I carried my clothes in a small stuff sack strapped to the outside because my water bladder took up space in the pack, but it was worth it for the lighter weight.

I'm planning to do my walk with the Osprey Exos 38. I take a large wich is actually 40L in the Exos. I thought the Kestrel would be the same, but it's a n actual 38L pack in the M/L. Which I think is fine. I'm bringing an ENO hammock and top quilt. Fits in my Exos with plenty room to spare. Bien Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There are very few places you can put up a hammock or where it would be useful, spare the extra weight and leave it at home. Buen Camino, SY

Leave my hammock at home? Ha! NEVER! That baby is the size of a softball and goes with me on EVERY trip. And is DEFINITELY coming with me on the Camino. I'd rather sleep under the Spanish stars than on a bed bug riddled mattress in an Alburgues filled with snoring strangers! :) I am very creative when it comes to hanging my hammock. Trees, fences, sign posts. I'll be fine. I've spoken to many other hammockers who haven't had a problem finding places to hang on the Camino. We all walk our own Way, and we all sleep our own Way. But thank you for your Bien Camino! And Bien Camino to you too!

Sigh, please consider that the place you want to hang your hammock does belong to somebody who might doesn't want your hammock there. Buen Camino, SY

Sigh, please consider that the place you want to hang your hammock does belong to somebody who might doesn't want your hammock there. Buen Camino, SY

No worries. I'm a very polite & considerate hammocker. Seriously. I don't cook or pollute. Definitely cleaner than most people who stay in Alburgues.

You wrote "I am very creative when it comes to hanging my hammock. Trees, fences, sign posts." so what does polite mean in that context? SY

Um...I don't know what your problem is. You don't know me. And second of all, you CAN be creative and polite. I have hung my hammock all over the world, and have never damaged anyone's property and have never hung where someone didn't want me to hang. You obviously have an issue with people that chose NOT to stay in Alburgues. But I don't know why. Not everyone wishes to stay in them. With all due respect. Bien Camino!

I don't have an issue with you personally, please believe me. Neither do I have an issue with people that choose alternative accommodation to albergues. But please consider something also: 250,000+ (more than a quarter of a million !!! pilgrims) walk, bike or ride the camino each year. And people live on this camino. In its villages and towns. And frankly, many of those people are tired of finding pilgrims in their backyard, in tents, in hammocks, in whatever. The Camino de Santiago goes through urban areas mostly and please, please consider the people that live there. Just try to see the camino through their eyes, from their perspective. Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don't have an issue with you personally, please believe me. Neither do I have an issue with people that choose alternative accommodation to albergues. But please consider something also: 250,000+ (more than a quarter of a million !!! pilgrims) walk, bike or ride the camino each year. And people live on this camino. In its villages and towns. And frankly, many of those people are tired of finding pilgrims in their backyard, in tents, in hammocks, in whatever. The Camino de Santiago goes through urban areas mostly and please, please consider the people that live there. Just try to see the camino through their eyes, from their perspective. Buen Camino, SY

Again, not knowing me, I forgive you for assuming about me. And I do applaud your concern for locals. But I am a veteran, seasoned traveller. I am no tourist. I respect and love to communicate with locals. I am well aware how many pilgrims there are. I go out of my way to leave no trace behind when I hammock. Part of the fun and adventure for me is meeting locals and getting to know them. If they don't want me to hammock on their property, I don't. But when I ask, most not only don't have a problem with it, they excitedly want me to! That is what connecting with people is all about.

Edited by Moderator

Nor do you know me ;-) And thanks for your forgiveness ;-) ;-) As long as you get permission for putting your hammock up all will be fine. Buen Camino, SY

Lots of hammocks on the Appalachian trail when I did it - one person had theirs ripped apart by a bear, they weren't in it though. So....beware the bears in the Pyrness!

Another vote for the 38. It will make you rethink everything you bring with you - have a look at all the packinglists and comments on this forum. I started with a 44L for seven days and recently did three weeks with a 30 litre pack (without sleeping bag, but I still had room for it). You really don't need any more space for a sleeping bag, a spare set of clothing, jacket and rain gear, wash bag and a pair of sandals. You can even get a bocadillo and a banana in there, I bet!
Oh yeah and ciento gramo Jamon Ibirico... I used Kestrel 38... also great pillow.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.