• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino del Norte Starting September 16, 2015

EMILE M

Time of past OR future Camino
I WALKED THE ENTIRE CAMINO FRANCES IN FALL 2011, ALSO I WALKED FROM LE PUY EN VELAY TO CAHORS, FRANCE IN MAY, 2013 (About 350 Km) I PLAN TO WALK THE CAMINO DEL NORTE IN MID SEPTEMBER (2015)
I will be arriving early AM in Paris (CDG) September 15, 2015, then on to Gare Montparnasse to board the train (TGV) to IRUN scheduled to arrive around 6PM same day. I plan to begin my Camino del Norte SOLO trek from IRUN on September 16th. I am posting this info randomly should someone's travel plans coincide with mine. I already walked to Camino Frances in October - November 2011, in 35 consecutive days. My return flight is scheduled from Paris to San Diego California on October 28, which gives me ample time to complete this Camino del Norte trek with a few extra days left to stroll the streets of Santiago and Paris before my return flight.- Cheers!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am looking forward t another great experience!

What guide book are you using? I'm feeling a little uneasy about finding the trail. Shoot I get lost finding my car in the grocery parking lot.. lol I also am doing the Norte in September. Have not found a decent priced airfare yet tho.

What guide book are you using? I'm feeling a little uneasy about finding the trail. Shoot I get lost finding my car in the grocery parking lot.. lol I also am doing the Norte in September. Have not found a decent priced airfare yet tho.
Hi there, my guide book is :
The Northern Caminos
The Caminos Norte, Primitivo and Inglés
by Dave Whitson, Laura Perazzoli
Book published by Cicerone Press

I got it from a bookseller called "The Book Depository" in the UK, cost was about $18 USD, including shipping.
FYI, I booked my flight with American Airlines, round trip from San Diego to Paris set me back $1,548 total. I am leaving from San Diego on September 14 . I will take the train from Paris to Irun, spend the first 2 nights in Irun for jet lag recovery then I will hit the trail on September 17th .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My return flight is scheduled from Paris to San Diego California on October 28, which gives me ample time to complete this Camino del Norte trek with a few extra days left to stroll the streets of Santiago and Paris before my return flight.-

All going well, I'll be a week ahead of you, but returning about the same time as you. Have you figured out how you will get back to Paris from Santiago?

Depending on how much time I have left before my return flight on 10/28, I will either take the train back from Santiago to Irun then from Irun to Paris. If time is short, I will look into a cheap flight from Santiago to Paris. When I did the Camino Frances 4 years ago, we flew back from Santiago to Madrid via Ryan Air, the cost was about 160 Euros. I anticipate flying from Santiago to Paris shouldn't cost much more than that nowadays. At any rate I will NOT make return trip arrangements until I actually set foot in Santiago!

Since return into 'the real world' after walking the camino is always a shock another slower transport solution is to ride the daily RENFE train from Santiago to Irun/Hendaye connecting with a SNCF train to Paris. Booked from SdC a few days before desired departure that long train ride across Spain is truly a sentimental journey as it passes through much of the countryside recently walked on the CF.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
.... slower transport solution is to ride the daily RENFE train from Santiago to Irun/Hendaye connecting with a SNCF train to Paris. ...

What was the trip time duration, and what time did you arrive in Paris ?

I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth it to fly back from Paris (less expensive, but with a one stop between) or to fly from Santiago to London and catch a direct flight back (almost 6 hours less time) before my local flight home.

What was the trip time duration, and what time did you arrive in Paris ?

The RENFE train left SdC about 10:00 arrived in Irun/Hendaye roughly 12 hours later. Caught the first possible SNCF TGV to Paris arriving roughly 24 hours after leaving SdC. Do check current schedules for your planning. Good luck!

Since return into 'the real world' after walking the camino is always a shock another slower transport solution is to ride the daily RENFE train from Santiago to Irun/Hendaye connecting with a SNCF train to Paris. Booked from SdC a few days before desired departure that long train ride across Spain is truly a sentimental journey as it passes through much of the countryside recently walked on the CF.
Returning from Santiago to Paris by train will be my first choice. I remember feeling a big void after completing my first Camino in 2011, hopefully a long train ride after finishing my trek will help me ease into to the stark reality of quotidian life upon my return!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Bought my tickets from Phoenix to Paris with return Madrid to Phoenix 966$ taking train fromParis to Irun after spending 2 days in Paris. Fast train to Hendaye. Leaving Phoenix 9/3/2015 84 days to go.......cant wait.

Thanks EMILE M I bought the Camino Norte book...........

The Northern Caminos

The Caminos Norte, Primitivo and Inglés
by Dave Whitson, Laura Perazzoli
Book published by Cicerone Press

Some of the path finding makes me a little freaked but we will see. For instance...... when it says turn left on a road then fork right. Umm.. A road ..... no name of the road LOL or turn right on a foot path. Hope there's only ONE.

Wow, that's a reasonably priced airfare, I paid more, however I added some extra legroom here and there, which did add up. Oh well, c'est la vie!!
You'll be 10 days ahead of me, enjoy your Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back