• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shipping bags ahead? Safety and consistency?

el padre

Time of past OR future Camino
May 17, 2015
Anyone ship their pack ahead at all? Is it safe? Is there a service? Consistent to arrive? Thinking of doing it before O Ceibero.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Anyone ship their pack ahead at all?
I did it once, and had to take a taxi to catch up. Once your bag is on a transport van, you are committed for the day, either on foot or in a taxi! I know of three instances where backpacks were lost. That is a small percentage, but you will be down to dirty clothes and your water bottle! Packs are usually at their destination by late morning. They sit there until the pilgrim shows up, in public, unguarded. I have not heard of items being stolen, but I would not put valuables in the pack. I split my money and ATM cards between my body and my pack. I would not put any in a pack I sent ahead.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Tincatinker...you may be joking (and I did chuckle)...but thanks for the perspective. It's good to remember, like Reb said yesterday, the Camino's had bad guys since forever. Fortunately in spite of current happenings, now it's a whole lot safer than in its previous heyday. We have no wolves, cutpurses, bandits, vicious toll collectors, greedy nobles out to fleece pilgrims for the sake of 'protection' or sundry other miscreants. (Though to be honest, I'd actually love to see a few wolves...)
A friend this year used Jacotrans and another company in Galicia whose name I can't remember. In our experience they were very reliable, but don't forget to count on paying 7 Euros each time you use them...! And agree with falcon (and it should go without saying): do. not. ever. put valuables in your pack when you transport it!

I hesitated to ship my bag ahead until I got to Sarria. But it made my camino so much more enjoyable. First of all you are not burdened with your bag. Second in order to send you bag ahead you must have a reservation, great another daily worry already taken care of. It relieved my back and my mind of two daily burdens. I had a place to stay and I wasn't burdened by my 15 pound pack. The alburgue hospitalero or pension owner called ahead for me and helped make the reservation for the next night.
I sent my bag ahead 5 times and had no problems. I had all valuables with me in my day pack.

Oh, once you get to Sarria the price to send you pack ahead is only 3 euros a day. I think the company in Galicia was Mochilla Express. We'll worth the money. -Laura

Anyone ship their pack ahead at all? Is it safe? Is there a service? Consistent to arrive? Thinking of doing it before O Ceibero.

I am on the Camino Frances at the moment and have been using Jacotrans. They have been extremely reliable. We have been staying mostly in pensions and small hotels rather than albergues but have had no concerns about security of our luggage after arrival. The accommodation staff have all been very familiar with Jacotrans and similar companies and have looked after the bags well. The Jacotrans people have also been very careful and helpful. On a couple of occasions when we arrived before our luggage they were actually apologetic when they arrived, even though still within their stated timeframe. I was concerned about how this would all work before we started but I have been very happy with the service so far and would recommend Jacotrans highly. It has made the difference, for us, between being able to do the Camino and not, so it had to work - and it has.

Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Tincatinker...you may be joking (and I did chuckle)...[but] vicious toll collectors, greedy nobles out to fleece pilgrims for the sake of 'protection'
Damn, I forgot to warn against them and the killer monks near Moratinos ;) Reb can provide the detail but the sensitive may prefer not to know...

I've never heard of a bad experience with the various baggage shifters. Note: Jacobans are not the sole providers. And yes, I may well be joking (but only a bit :):))

Yes, those guys were charming, weren't they? They will be enjoying special niches in the hell realms now.
Now it's 'just' Reb and Paddy, and their Peaceable Kingdom...'killer' in another way altogether (bless you two). Some things do get better with time.....

I shipped my pack ahead on every stage on the Frances and Norte. And started shipping even on the vdlp this week. I had couple of hick-ups but never had any issues... I think twice on the CF the alberque i was sending it to was closed (end of October) and they left the pack at a bar nearby. It was not difficult to track it by talking to the locals. Once on the Norte my pack didn´t arrive on time, the owner personally drove with my pack to meet me to apologize. If you are able to maintain an email/sms contact with the transpòrt company you would have no problems in case of unexpected delays...That is a realiable and consistent service from my perpective.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
.... Second in order to send you bag ahead you must have a reservation...
On the Frances reservation is not necessary, unless you are walking during off peak period and expect some alberques to be closed or making a reservation for other specific reasons... On the Norte i had to reserve because the transport companies only work in the morning and some alberques were not open until late in the afternoon. I was told in advance which alberques were not deliverable so i made alternate reservations.

Last edited:
Jacotrans were excellent for us, we paid in advance for the whole itinerary so it was out of the way, they were great at communicating with us (and in English!) and we had absolutely no complaint whatsoever. And of course knowing that you have to reach your destination to have a clean pair of knickers/socks/your toothbrush is a great motivator on the days that you just don't feel you can make it ...!

If you are talking about using the postal to ship to a post office to the end, it is completely safe reliable and cheap.

If you mean jacotrans it is safe, but means you HAVE to make it to your next destination that day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
...or you can just pack lighter and carry your pack.
Unless, of course, you have have a physical problem.

I really am surprised that there has not been a problem with loss of packs that have been transported forward. They are often just left out in the open at albergues with no security.
In the morning the packs are left out with the envelopes containing money. I guess the bad guys haven't worked out that they just have to pick up the envelopes.
I am sure some albergues use some type of security...but I have not seen much of it.

When serving as a hospitalaro I have usually just seen them set inside the door or even outside the door.

Last edited:
I've had to ship my bags from Day 1 due to injury.

But I am shipping to hostals/hotels not albergues.

Using Jacotrans. Great service. No problems so far in 22 days.

At both ends of the transfer staff seem to keep an eye on bags or keep them in a storeroom.

but as others have advised. Nothing goes into that bag that I cannot do without. Just in case....

I think.....Jacotrans is pronounced HacoTrans. ... With that delicate clearing your throat sound for the H :)

"We have no wolves, cutpurses, bandits, vicious toll collectors, greedy nobles out to fleece pilgrims for the sake of 'protection' or sundry other miscreants. (Though to be honest, I'd actually love to see a few wolves...)

Viranani - I would have loved to have seen a TROLL......Oh, wait. You said TOLL. :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What happens to my pack when I don't reach my destination in a particular day? I would assume that it would remain at the destination until I get there the next day. Is this an issue for the staff there?
Also, If I arrive at a destination and I don't like the accommodations, is it frowned upon to look for alternative digs?

What happens to my pack when I don't reach my destination in a particular day? I would assume that it would remain at the destination until I get there the next day. Is this an issue for the staff there?
Also, If I arrive at a destination and I don't like the accommodations, is it frowned upon to look for alternative digs?
Yes the pack will stay there until you pick it up. To be sure, you can always call and inform the alberque of the change in plans.
No, you can pick up the pack and go elsewhere.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Has anyone shipped a bag ahead several stages in one go? We are planning to take a bus from Fromista to Astorga with a stop in Leon in a single day. We would like to send our transport bag ahead to Astorga. How does this work with the transport companies? Would the bag make it to Astorga in one day? If not, is the bus station in Leon set up so we could leave the bag there while exploring the town?

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back