• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

training

mauveglass

Time of past OR future Camino
Francis (Sept/Oct 2012) Portuguese Central (2016), Portuguese Coastal (2018), Del Norte (2020)
I know there are many posts about this...can't find anything that I need! I'm looking for a detailed daily training schedule others have used for the Camino. This is the second time I've walked but have fewer months to train. thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@mauveglass, under the Camino Resources Section there is a posting on training which might help. Although since your profile indicates a departure in May/ June, maybe not enough time?
Suzanne :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Anniesantiago got it right since you have already waked you must remember that the majority of those walking look more like sweet potatoes, punching bags, or ragpickers then candidates for Marine boot camp. Slow and easy until you pick up your steam and then let 'er rip!

Sorry, everyone...I am going Sept/Oct. Thanks, Doug! A couple of my friends are also going at another time...first timers-I'll pass that along to them also.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you have the time, then do the two Aussiewalk training programs one after the other. It will be an easier build up to reach a decent level of walking fitness before you start. If you are using the footwear you intend to use, you will avoid all those new shoe issues as well.

My training programme has been very slow, because I'm not going until Sept - Oct I feel that I have plenty of time.
Now instead on jumping in the car I walk everywhere, some trips are short distances of 2 - 3 miles and some twice that distance.
Once a week I have been doing longer distances, for example yesterday I completed my first 15 mile hike, I had been building up to this over the last few weeks. Having said that when I got home I was rather tied.
I still plan to walk everywhere and incorporate a couple of distance walks in every week, once my stamina has built up I'll start using the rucksack at its full weight.
Having said all that I will still be taking it slow and easy on the camino until I feel really comfortable.

Not really a well laid out plan, but so far it works for me.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ehem ... well, I'm not at all qualified to comment on training as I tend to just go. But I had a potentially great idea on how to get more walking done, anyone want to join me? Read my post here!

Just had a look at your post; what a fantastic idea, and as you walk over the hills your imagination can run wild.
It would certainly liven up my walks. Think I'll start doing that tomorrow, it's only a short walk so Ill imagine it's from SJPdP to Orrison, hope my bookings still there.

If anyone else is interested, please carry on the conversation in the other thread so we don't hijack this one. I'm off to Orisson!

€46,-
I did my long walks every weekend, gradually building up the distance, but carried my rucsac a couple of kilos heavier than I intended to take. During the week I had shorter faster walks without my rucsac. Worked for me

I know there are many posts about this...can't find anything that I need! I'm looking for a detailed daily training schedule others have used for the Camino. This is the second time I've walked but have fewer months to train. thanks!
Hi, I'm currently on the Camino Frances. I walked a couple of 5 km walks through the week, with a 20km walk on the weekends for about 3 months as my training. I am now almost 2 weeks into the walk (280 kms) and have only had 1 rest day! Going well. So it all depends on the person and the weight you are carrying. Highly recommended no more than 8 kgs or it becomes difficult. Remember you will probably add a couple of bottles of water to your pack. Buen Camino

Honestly, many people just "train" while on the Camino, starting slow and gradually increasing pace and distance.

I like the sound of this training program best of all.
And I have a feeling it might be a little painful.
It's all good.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, I'm currently on the Camino Frances. I walked a couple of 5 km walks through the week, with a 20km walk on the weekends for about 3 months as my training. I am now almost 2 weeks into the walk (280 kms) and have only had 1 rest day! Going well. So it all depends on the person and the weight you are carrying. Highly recommended no more than 8 kgs or it becomes difficult. Remember you will probably add a couple of bottles of water to your pack. Buen Camino

I'm pretty much using this method.
I can walk for hours carrying almost no weight.
It is the weight that is hard for me.

I found that it was my feet that most benefited from the training that I did. My feet got conditioned to long walks and weren't as sore as when I first started training. They did still get sore on the Camino, but I think the conditioning really did help. Plus, my body as a whole just got used to walking a lot. If you've never carried a pack, then conditioning your body for that is important too - carrying a pack uses a different set of muscles, so there may be some that will really complain when you start walking with a pack - I think it's good to get those muscles used to the load.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
First and foremost this is not directed towards anybody in particular, but based on my observations one of the most important training exercises to do prior to walking the Camino is what I call the "table push away". Sort of like a push-up, except you are sitting down at the table for a meal. In this exercise you simply place both hands on the table and push away, which in turn reduces your caloric intake, thus allowing you to lose weight. ;)
On both Caminos I saw other pilgrims who were badly overweight really struggling.

I think it is very important to train with full pack. If you are not in good shape that is ok, just plan on taking 3-4 months to slowly improve. It certainly is not a race. If I can do this after heart rehab you can as well. The simple goal I think, is to get to the point you can walk 25k 2 days in a row, with no pain. You will fine tune your pack & shoes in the process.

As you get better try to find elevation to add to your training. I walked 35 days no breaks to Finnesterre. I pushed hard to test the old thumper. Simply stay in your comfort zone.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back