• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

PETER CATLOW

bribaby

Hi there, my partner (Sharon) and I started to walk the Madrid Camino in May, mainly to fix a plaque in memory of Peter Catlow. A dear friend and fellow Caminoist, Pete had walked quite a few different Caminos but unfortunately a large tumour on the brain was discovered from which he passed away in 2013.
The plaque is fixed to a tree on the way from Valseca to Ane.
After following a disused railway line you turn left over a road bridge, and then sharp right down a bit of a scramble. The plaque is fixed to a tree with a Camino yellow arrow.
If you are on the Madrid Camino and happen to see it, please say " Hi", I'm sure he'd appreciate it
Where ever you are Pete, "Bon Camino" from Sharon and Bri

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
"After following a disused railway line you turn left over a road bridge, and then sharp right down a bit of a scramble. The plaque is fixed to a tree with a Camino yellow arrow."
I believe I recall this section. May you walk many more routes and remember your friend with fondness.
Buen Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi there, my partner (Sharon) and I started to walk the Madrid Camino in May, mainly to fix a plaque in memory of Peter Catlow. A dear friend and fellow Caminoist, Pete had walked quite a few different Caminos but unfortunately a large tumour on the brain was discovered from which he passed away in 2013.
After following a disused railway line you turn left over a road bridge, and then sharp right down a bit of a scramble. The plaque is fixed to a tree with a Camino yellow arrow.
If you are on the Madrid Camino and happen to see it, please say " Hi", I'm sure he'd appreciate it

Well done, lovely gesture

Previously, in another life, I went out of my way NOT to make friends. Oh, I had many acquaintances, but few friends. Why you might ask?
Well here it is:
A friend is always your friend.
When you are in trouble your friend will be there and help you out and then, be enough of a friend to honestly tell you why you are in trouble in the first place.
When something happens to your friend...you drop everything to help them out, then ask them what can you do to make sure it doesn't happen again.
When a friend dies...a little bit of you dies with them. You may be at a loss...NO with a friend you ARE at a loss from which you may find it hard to recover.
While you may have few friends, you may have many acquaintances and, except on the off chance you ask for help they might show up, they might offer advice.
Sadly, when an acquaintance passes away, the feeling of loss may be fleeting, or just accepted for what it is...a sad moment, a flicker of a good, or even a bad time.
Honest, strong, enduring friendship is too precious to award frivolously.
Peter Catlow is blessed to have Bri and Sharon as friends for they truly know what friendship means.
Saludos Peter, may you join the Milky Way and shine down upon we your fellow pilgrims.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I haven't been on the forum for a while but thought I would tell you that my partner brian(bribaby) who started this thread, passed away in February this year. I have now lost my 2 walking buddies and don't think I will walk the Camino again. I have done the Camino Frances twice and part of the Madrid Camino. Everyone take care and enjoy.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I haven't been on the forum for a while but thought I would tell you that my partner brian(bribaby) who started this thread, passed away in February this year. I have now lost my 2 walking buddies and don't think I will walk the Camino again. I have done the Camino Frances twice and part of the Madrid Camino. Everyone take care and enjoy.

Hope you get the call to return Sharon,
Enjoy the Macedon Ranges , you deserve the pleasure,
Keep well,
David and Angela

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A big hug from Santiago!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You should know by now that the stuggles and joys of your pilgrimage never ends.
My heart breaks for you and your loss.

So sad to hear this. I stopped by the plaque for Peter last year and feeling somehow connected with you and Brian although we've never met. But who knows, maybe someday we will. Here or there where Peter and Brian are walking right now.

My sincere condolences, Sharon.

Oh, Sharon, I'm so sorry to hear this. May all the good memories of your walking buddies sustain and comfort you! Take care of yourself, and I hope we see you again on one of the Caminos.
Blessings,
Terry

a big queensland hug in this time of your grieving.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sharon, I am sorry for your loss...thinking of you today on my walk, wishing you heart's ease...
Maybe Bri can be added to that plaque someday?

Sharon, I am so sorry for your loss. I hope, when you feel ready, that you return to the hills and reminisce on the joy you had in the company of your friends. Sending you a big hug during this very difficult time.

Sharon, I am so sorry for your loss. I hope, when you feel ready, that you return to the hills and reminisce on the joy you had in the company of your friends. Sending you a big hug during this very difficult time.

Very well said

Thank you everyone for all your kind words.

I updated at the spot all looks good.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Sharon, there is no way I could press like for such sad news. Best wishes on your new journey in life.

I walk on a local path where a bench has been placed in memory of a man whose body was lost in the river 6 years ago and has never been found. As I pass I always speak his name out loud and pray for his family and friends. I will add you each time I pass that bench as I won't see the plaque in Spain.

I will be walking his path next year and looking forward to waving hello!

Passed by that spot (and stopped there for lunch) during my camino in October 2015 and took the attached photo's.

Cheers

DavidDSC00525 copy.jpg DSC00524 copy.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am currently walking the CdM and came upon Peter's memorial during a rainstorm. Rummaging through the undergrowth for a nice stone to add to the growing pile, I found a stick and picked it up. Perfect size and weight for me. As I placed a piece of quartz down and said a few words for a man I never met, the sun broke through for a moment and the rain stopped. I stated out loud an enthusiastic thanks for the walking stick and vowed to call it Peter. I kid you not, there was a clap of thunder just then!
My stick, much carved now and adorned has been my constant companion and I nicknamed him Pete.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back