• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Long or Short Sleeves?

CTM

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2015
Hi all,

I am planning on walking the Camino Frances through August, and I was wondering about what type of shirts are recommended. I am currently debating between short sleeved polyester shirts (which I already own) or some other material, and long sleeved shirts with some UPF protection.

Does anyone have a case for what works best in their experience?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I wear a Mountain Hardwear Canyon long sleeve collared shirt during the day. I'm a firm believer in wearing long sleeve shirt and trousers during the day, better to be covered up instead of slathering sunscreen on a daily basis.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've spent a lot of time in the tropics and deserts. What works for me is a ss tech. tee shirt worn under a long sleeve wading shirt,that is one size larger than what you would normally wear. Stay away from cotton. The material is usually a nylon blend which drys almost instantly and is cool as well as sun protective. Think Lawrence of Arabia , there is a reason for billowing garments in hot arid environments. As I said, this works for me. The tee shirt will wick moisture and the wading shirt will dry very quickly as well as allowing you to roll up the sleeves if you want. It can also double as a towel if needed . Under armor , Columbia , etc. can be purchased at any sporting goods store for less than $20. Hope this helps.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Up to your preference and your skin type.
A couple of long sleeved tech-type synthetic shirts should work fine. Maybe throw in a short-sleeved one too.
Or maybe just a couple of the tech-type synthetic button up collared shirts they make for fisherman and such. Best of both worlds as you can roll-up the sleeves when you want to.
Or a combination of any of the three.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree,long sleeves for sun protection
And a size or two larger for comfort and evaporation.
I had worked decades in hot humid environs, sticky stinging heat...
And it may seem counter to reason,but long sleeves kept me cooler and. Sun safe.

The short answer is that I would wear long sleeves and long pants (and a wide-brimmed hat). I saw some amazing sunburns in July 2014. August is probably worse. My fuller thoughts are in a separate gear report. That gear report is here.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...id-not-for-a-summer-camino.31137/#post-304777

I'm actually going to try the heretical idea of one set of cotton blend clothes and one set of quick-dry nylon ( both sets with long pants, long-sleeved shirt) on a Camino this summer in Italy. I'll report back how that goes.

Ultreia,
Jo Jo

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A fortnight ago, I alternately wore long sleeve Merino (for cold morning starts) and long sleeve hiking UPF-rated polo shirts (the one with vents..Columbia, ExOfficio). The latter can be rolled up if so required as it got hot by midday on the CP.

If you want natural linen is better then cotton. It will look wrinkled but in a good way.

All clothing has a SPF. SPF is just a measure of how much it blocks. Sheer lace will block some sun . The SPF will be very low but it will have a SPF.

Think of this. Dark jeans have a SPF of 200 or so.

If you want natural linen is better then cotton. It will look wrinkled but in a good way.

All clothing has a SPF. SPF is just a measure of how much it blocks. Sheer lace will block some sun . The SPF will be very low but it will have a SPF.

Think of this. Dark jeans have a SPF of 200 or so.
My shirt of choice is a 2x large close weave cloth,they call them brush poppers here...
I had a linen shirt years ago and it was great!
I saw a special where they said were dark colors in radiant environs,,i think that works better in drier conditions imo.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for all the advice. I picked up some long sleeved button-ups at REI that should do the trick

What about solar sleeves like bicyclists use sometimes?

Those wouldn't work as well while walking since they are directly against your skin and air wouldn't circulate.
If you were on a bicycle they would work because of the air passing over the solar sleeves at a higher speed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.