• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Camino Frances - new info?

JohnMcM

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Some, and with luck, some more.
Stayed at Rocesvalles night of 15th May, looks like the basement areas have been turned into permanent sleeping areas. The laundry rooms are still available.
Larrasoana, Albergue San Nicolas, next door to the supermarket, big thumbs up from me for 10 euro. Dinner available for 11 euro was good, breakfast for 3 euro not taken.
In Cizur Menor now, Albergue Sanjuanista, fantastic pilgrims here, shared meal, laughs and kindness, all for 5 euros. Please God that people will support these less salubrious albergues before we loose them.
Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Roncevelles albergue still no need to book I presume ahead for any place first week of June between St. Jean and Estella over 5 days. I'll post any gems I find along those sections :)
Thanks for the up to date info

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
San Juan was such a lovely place to stay....but due to numbers had to open extra beds that had not been aired....we're quite damp in fact....first night I slept fully clothed and in sleeping bag just to keep warm... .would I go back....of course x

Also called in to be nosy at San Anton....too early for me to stop.....had lovely chat with sheffieldJames...volunteer hospitelero.....oh how I wish I had stayed there.....also Bercianos another donative.....we had lovely supper served at tables in the street as it was so hot at 730pm on 12th may 15.unforgettable evening.....thank you x

In 2013 I stayed at San Juan de Ortega, missed staying in 2014 but after two and hopefully a third next year San Jaun was one of my special moments, I awoke arounf 4am to go to the tilets and whilst walking around the balcony I looked up and was struck by the beauty of the sky filling the courtyard and just stayed looking , always remembered.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In 2013 I stayed at San Juan de Ortega, missed staying in 2014 but after two and hopefully a third next year San Jaun was one of my special moments, I awoke arounf 4am to go to the tilets and whilst walking around the balcony I looked up and was struck by the beauty of the sky filling the courtyard and just stayed looking , always remembered.
So happy to read this! I can just imagine what it was like for you standing on the balcony overlooking the cloister with the night sky streaming in. I, too, took a night time walk to the toilet along that balcony, but it was raining at the time. I couldn't help but think what a magical experience it would have been in good weather under a full moon. I think I would have dragged my sleeping bag out there and slept out under the stars. :):):)

San Juan was such a lovely place to stay

San Jaun was one of my special moments, I awoke arounf 4am to go to the tilets and whilst walking around the balcony I looked up and was struck by the beauty of the sky filling the courtyard and just stayed looking , always remembered.

I will always remember San Juan for the delicious sopa de ajo...and the unbelievable piercing cold. It was -1C inside. This was this March, the middle of the month. Would I stay there again? Maybe..it would depend on the weather!

It was grubby especially showers/ toilet area. I heard the same complaints this year. Why bother walk onto Ages apparently the albergue is wonderful
Last Fall I walked on to Ages -- one of the nicest little places I experienced on the Camino!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, quite agree. Had a lovely breakfast in Ages at the sweetest place...on the left as you come into town, where the Camino takes a sharp right turn. it was one of my favorite stops on the whole way and apparently it's also an albergue. We were regretting our freezing cold night when we could have been here.:confused:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A Camino without a bit of 'grim and grubby' is lacking in treasure.
Ha! A kindred spirit! You hit the nail right on the head. I am eternally grateful. :D

A friend spent three days with me at the beginning of my Camino, so we could visit. She insisted that we stay in hotels .... said something about "our standards." Huh? Pilgrims have standards? :D

I think that we need to stop rating albergues. It is enough of a gift that volunteers and donors put in their hours to offer us a smile, a roof and a welcome bed at almost no cost.
Indeed; such gifts are true blessings. All I have ever wanted while walking the camino these past 10 years is strength to take it as it comes, to be able to enjoy the good as well as bear the bad. After all this is life. Grateful at the end of each day for simple shelter, a place to sleep (preferably a bottom bunk ), working toilet, hot shower, something to eat and when possible good companionship.

February 2006 the path to Villafranca Montes de Oca was covered with several inches of snow. Walking had become dangerous. At the simple municipal albergue no one was about, but the front door was unlocked and one dormitory was open. No heat in the radiators, but piles of blankets and a hot plate. Considering the alternative it was great! Mid afternoon I snuggled into my sleeping bag; outside the storm steadily intensified. As night fell the radiators started up. Warm and sheltered how lucky I was!

Ha! A kindred spirit! You hit the nail right on the head. I am eternally grateful. :D

A friend spent three days with me at the beginning of my Camino, so we could visit. She insisted that we stay in hotels .... said something about "our standards." Huh? Pilgrims have standards? :D
Yes, Icacos, it is a pilgrimage not a 'Club Med' vacation. I truly think that the more basic the experience the more you get out of it. I sure did appreciate a separate room and toilet from time to time though

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, Icacos, it is a pilgrimage not a 'Club Med' vacation. I truly think that the more basic the experience the more you get out of it. I sure did appreciate a separate room and toilet from time to time though
I agree completely. I had many basic experiences and, although I found some of them quite uncomfortable, I persevered, and like to think I found good in all of them. I also well remember the three days I spent nursing an injury in León, and the pure bliss of having my very own room and bath while doing so. Yes, the Camino is full of treasures; one needs just be open to receive them. :)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Stayed at Rocesvalles night of 15th May, looks like the basement areas have been turned into permanent sleeping areas. The laundry rooms are still available.
Larrasoana, Albergue San Nicolas, next door to the supermarket, big thumbs up from me for 10 euro. Dinner available for 11 euro was good, breakfast for 3 euro not taken.
In Cizur Menor now, Albergue Sanjuanista, fantastic pilgrims here, shared meal, laughs and kindness, all for 5 euros. Please God that people will support these less salubrious albergues before we loose them.
Buen Camino
Agree with that. How busy was Roncesvalles in mid May?

Agree with that. How busy was Roncesvalles in mid May?
Just left Roncesvalles today May 25 for Zubiri. Very clean, new design (4 to a space), efficient, a bit brusque. Bad internet, you have to gonto Cafe Sabrina for any access.

What they should tell you in Orisson since there was a madhouse for laundry, is that in Roncesvalles, hospitaleros will put your clothes is washer and dryer for EU 2.70.

Romcevalles is worth just a visit. We got a discount tour of the grounda by Mercedes. She knows so much and I left with a much deeper appreciation of its historical significance for Navarre.
It has been that wet-cold-thick overcast that chills me to the bone and slightly windy

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for the update.

Just left Roncesvalles today May 25 for Zubiri. Very clean, new design (4 to a space), efficient, a bit brusque. Bad internet, you have to gonto Cafe Sabrina for any access.

What they should tell you in Orisson since there was a madhouse for laundry, is that in Roncesvalles, hospitaleros will put your clothes is washer and dryer for EU 2.70.

Romcevalles is worth just a visit. We got a discount tour of the grounda by Mercedes. She knows so much and I left with a much deeper appreciation of its historical significance for Navarre.
It has been that wet-cold-thick overcast that chills me to the bone and slightly windy
Thank you for the info Kari. Buen Camino!!

Gosh, this sounds like it would have been most interesting; I had not realized there was any such tour available. I recall being intrigued by the floor in the hotel lobby and reading that it was, at least at some point, typical of that region. So many things to keep in mind for next time. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Have really appriciated all the Albergues along the Camino.....everyone different but special in their own way.....my favourites Trinidad De Arte and the donative in Bercianos.....wonderful brother played the organ especially for the three drowned rats that turned up on the doorstep.....and at Bercianos we had wonderful meal at tables in the street.....it was so hot that day.....thank you for wonderful memories.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Have really appriciated all the Albergues along the Camino.....everyone different but special in their own way.....my favourites Trinidad De Arte and the donative in Bercianos.....wonderful brother played the organ especially for the three drowned rats that turned up on the doorstep.....and at Bercianos we had wonderful meal at tables in the street.....it was so hot that day.....thank you for wonderful memories.
Would also like to add Santa Cristina 3 Porta De Pena Santiago.....near cathedral ...lovely courtyard very clean and very lovely lady who looks after you very well . Thank you x

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.