• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sept2-Oct 19 hike...sleeping bag VS Liner

melaniedc

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/October 2015
Newbie here... I like to sleep warm. Trying to keep pack weight and bulk down as much as possible. Any thoughts on sleeping bag VS liner (and sleeping in long johns/coat/clothing whatever...). I have already bought a sleeping bag and my pack (Osprey 46L womens) but now rethinking the sleeping bag due to bulk. I HAVE to bring night foot braces so I'm exploring options on decreasing back bulk. I'm not so worried about warmth in Sept but October I am. Thoughts anyone?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Newbie here... I like to sleep warm. Trying to keep pack weight and bulk down as much as possible. Any thoughts on sleeping bag VS liner (and sleeping in long johns/coat/clothing whatever...). I have already bought a sleeping bag and my pack (Osprey 46L womens) but now rethinking the sleeping bag due to bulk. I HAVE to bring night foot braces so I'm exploring options on decreasing back bulk. I'm not so worried about warmth in Sept but October I am. Thoughts anyone?
I'm walking at the same time and have had the same concerns. Have tried a couple of options (down sleeping bag, travel sheet) and have finally opted for a very lightweight sleeping bag called Intrepidtraveler, suggested by someone else on this forum. It has arrived and so far I love it. It's very light (710 g), I love the texture of the lining, more like a sheet than a slippery sleeping bag. It isn't meant for very cold temps, but I feel sure that through October, it will work for me. I get warm normally at night, and I'll be able to throw back this one, because it unzips all round and will feel more like a quilt. In September, if I'm too warm, I'll toss it back and be fine. In late October, if I'm cold, I can wear my long johns under it. :) It's from Mountain Equipment Coop, and it costs $5 to join the coop. Hope this helps. I'm very excited about my purchase, for now. http://www.mec.ca/product/5034-985/...No=40&h=10+50049+50130+50880&f=10+50130+50880

I walked in Sept/Oct and used a Columbia Omni liner. If it was too cool I slept in my long johns. Most of the time I didn't have to do that. The only time I ever got cold and added more clothes was in a private room at O'Cebreiro on October 14.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked in Sept/Oct and used a Columbia Omni liner. If it was too cool I slept in my long johns. Most of the time I didn't have to do that. The only time I ever got cold and added more clothes was in a private room at O'Cebreiro on October 14.
Thank you! That is helpful feedback :)

melaniedc & Singingheart I have / had the same problem and I really appreciated all the help given by experienced pilgrims. It really comes down to personnel preference, all well and good if we've been on the camino ourselves, but being a novice it's not always easy to decipher the advice given and come out with a solution that fits.

Today I spent some time in my local walking shop discussing this very issue, I had a look at a lot of sleeping bags and the lightest ones are the mummy variety which I can't stand. The lightest rectangular one that I could fine was 1.25 kg, not a bad weight if you're not carrying it far. Then I looked at the liners and was very surprised at the size and weight. I ended up buying a silk liner that weighs 1.25g and fits in the palm of my hand. I've also opted to take a set of very lightweight thermals in the of chance that it might be a chilly night on occasions.
Should I find that this system doesn't work then I'll be hunting the shops for something more substantial.

Hope this helps.

Singing heart, I m right be leaving a day ahead of you, but I'm very slow unless there's a beer on the horizon, I'm staying in the Beilari on the Saturday night.

Been Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Does anyone know what the temp. range during Sept/Oct are? That might be helpful. I can't see to find it googling. thanks

melaniedc & Singingheart I have / had the same problem and I really appreciated all the help given by experienced pilgrims. It really comes down to personnel preference, all well and good if we've been on the camino ourselves, but being a novice it's not always easy to decipher the advice given and come out with a solution that fits.

Today I spent some time in my local walking shop discussing this very issue, I had a look at a lot of sleeping bags and the lightest ones are the mummy variety which I can't stand. The lightest rectangular one that I could fine was 1.25 kg, not a bad weight if you're not carrying it far. Then I looked at the liners and was very surprised at the size and weight. I ended up buying a silk liner that weighs 1.25g and fits in the palm of my hand. I've also opted to take a set of very lightweight thermals in the of chance that it might be a chilly night on occasions.
Should I find that this system doesn't work then I'll be hunting the shops for something more substantial.

Hope this helps.

Singing heart, I m right be leaving a day ahead of you, but I'm very slow unless there's a beer on the horizon, I'm staying in the Beilari on the Saturday night.

Been Camino.
Great minds think alike :) I'm going with a liner also long johns also. I bought
ALPS Mountaineering MicroFiber Rectangle Sleeping Bag Liner

Sold by: Amazon.com LLC

$21.10

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
One small suggestion: sleep a few nights in your new liners before you take off for your Camino. It's better to find out BEFORE you leave if it doesn't work for you.

For that time of year, I would look at the Sea-to-Summit Reactor liner. I took their coolmax liner for a Summer Camino, and it was very nicely built.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
2012, I walked in Sept/October. I had a fleece liner and a silk liner. Used the silk only in September and then the combo in October from about 2nd week on. The combo worked well for me.

2012, I walked in Sept/October. I had a fleece liner and a silk liner. Used the silk only in September and then the combo in October from about 2nd week on. The combo worked well for me.
I am starting in Leon in June, and I bought a fleece liner. A sweet friend also bought me a silk liner. In your opinion, should I bring the fleece or the silk liner for my June Camino?

Since the weather will be hot take only the silk liner and no bag.

Buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
...I ended up buying a silk liner that weighs 1.25g and fits in the palm of my hand. I've also opted to take a set of very lightweight thermals in the of chance that it might be a chilly night on occasions...
@Waka, what I like about your system (if it works) is that you can also use your 'nightwear' during the day if the weather turns inclement. Thus making your gear have more than one use.
Buen Camino
Suzanne :)

@Waka, what I like about your system (if it works) is that you can also use your 'nightwear' during the day if the weather turns inclement. Thus making your gear have more than one use.
Buen Camino
Suzanne :)

Like a lot of things we only know if there going to work when we're on the move. I'm really trying to keep the weight of my pack down, I've got nearly everything listed and with 750ml of water I'm just below 7kg.

I am starting in Leon in June, and I bought a fleece liner. A sweet friend also bought me a silk liner. In your opinion, should I bring the fleece or the silk liner for my June Camino?
Sorry, have been so busy getting ready for my on stuff. Since you asked: If it were me, I would take the silk liner. That is what I am going to take for July/August. IF September needs more, I will get it in Spain. Buen Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.