• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

st. jean

Eric1985

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi I was just wondering would I be better off staying in st. Jean the day I arrive or just get on the trail.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi I was just wondering would I be better off staying in st. Jean the day I arrive or just get on the trail.
Huh, depends on time of arrival, your fitness, jetlag (?), Napoleon or Valcarlos route etc.?

Im not in any mad rush to get started. I will be arriving early. Just asking would it be worth my while staying for the day settle in

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It would also depend on whether or not you have a reservation at Orisson, if going the Napolean route. I do not recommend going all the way to Roncesvalles without a good night's sleep and an early start.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
SJPdP is a great little Basque town. Worth spending a day in.
No need to stay at Orisson. I know it get's recommended a lot on here (I swear I think some people have stock in that place), but the walk to Roncesvalles isn't that difficult, especially if you are younger. Have done it twice in my 50's with no problems.
I recommend getting to SJPdP, pick up your pilgrim's passport at the office, secure your albergue bed for the night, roam around and get a feel for things, see the sights, get some food to haul with you over the Pyrenees the next day and start at first light the next morning.
cheers

but the walk to Roncesvalles isn't that difficult, especially if you are younger. Have done it twice in my 50's with no problems.
cheers

I would suggest you must be quite fit....

I left St jean 3 weeks ago and of the dozens of pilgrims I have chatted with they all remarked. ...

It was a real 'ass kicking' for them.

and

Next time they would make the walk in two days. Either stopping at orrison or using caroline's shuttle to take them down at end of day 1 and back up to start day 2.

I broke the journey in two. I wouldn't want to try it in one day....

Guess we are all different in our abilities. ....

I stayed in St Jean when I arrived there mid-afternoon but if I were to do it again I would have walked directly to a pre-booked Orisson. It's only about 2 hours away, if that, and it would give you a good head-start the following day. St Jean is a pretty little town but I found the attraction wears off after a couple of hours when you've seen all there is to be seen. As regards the trek over the mountains from St Jean - I started out at 7am and arrived in Espinal, 32 kms away, in 8 hours and that was with a vicious head-wind and torrential rain on 1st May. It's no big deal. By the way, I'm 63.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You must be very fit John.

I could not do that and wouldn't even consider it. I'd suggest the majority of pilgrims could not.

could I do it if my life depended on it? Of course. But I would not arrive in a very good state....

I think it is somewhat misleading for those who are really very walking fit and who like walking longer than average distances, to claim that anyone could easily do the same.

I would suggest the 'average' pilgrim trying to walk 32 km on day one over the pyrenees, would either not be able walk on day two or would consider giving up on day two. ...

If you have the time, definitely stay in St. Jean; enjoy a good meal, and pick up some cheese and salami for the long walkto Roncesvalles. If you can't spare an extra day, walking to Orisson when you arrive is a nice compromise. I am 55 and my husband is 60. We are not fast walkers, but we did train for several weeks with our packs on and fully loaded before we left. It took us 12 hours to get to Roncesvalles from St. Jean mostly because we had to walk in snow (we didn't train for that :) ), but I would do it again. It was challenging and rewarding. You MUST train for it though; we passed many people who were struggling.

Attachments

• IMG_3353.JPG
    IMG_3353.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 3
From my observations on both Caminos, the overwhelming majority of pilgrims walking from St Jean walk all the way to Roncesvalles the first day. Pilgrims of all shapes, ages and fitness levels. It happened today, will happen tomorrow and will happen all summer. I'm no super athlete. Work-out and run on a regular basis, but by no means a mountaineer, but I would be comfortable walking all the way to Roncesvalles from St Jean tomorrow with no prior preparation.

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back