• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport Service between hostels/albergues on the La Puy Route

Time of past OR future Camino
When we did the Camino francis, we utilized a service for transporting a bag or backpack from one albergue to another (my wife was having achilles problems and we wanted to lighten our load). I had a back issue later). I realize the Camino Francis is the busiest route, but we were wondering if there is a similar service available o the La Puy to St. Jean route if we run into any problems again?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When we did the Camino francis, we utilized a service for transporting a bag or backpack from one albergue to another (my wife was having achilles problems and we wanted to lighten our load). I had a back issue later). I realize the Camino Francis is the busiest route, but we were wondering if there is a similar service available o the La Puy to St. Jean route if we run into any problems again?
We walked the GR65 last fall, and many of the French pilgrims were having their bags transported. We also got a ride one day with a transport van, although space is limited, so you need to make arrangements in advance. They seem to be very efficient, although we did not use them for our backpacks, just observed as a passenger! I'm sure you would have no problem if you needed the service.
Bon Chemin,
Linda

What is the name of the LePuy transport service that you used?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Unfortunately I don't have the name- we were staying in a very nice Chambre d'hote in Barcelonne-du-Gers (l'Hospitalet du Cosset) and our hostess called on our behalf.
Linda

On the entire route there are about four or five separate services. The gite or hotel owner will put you in touch with the local operator. It means you also need to book accommodation at least one night ahead, but that's not a bad thing.

It's a great walk but the first couple of weeks are tough, so using a transport service is a good idea if you're finding it too gruelling.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
As Bernice mentions, there are several overall. In any given segment of the route, there will be one or two. MMD has contact info for the main services. Your gite host will be happy to call and make arrangements. Rates (this was a couple years ago) ran about 7 EUR per baggage and/or 10 EUR per passenger, per day. As far as I know, they only run in the East-to-west direction, and I doubt they cover the Cele detour.

Just arrived back from the Le Puy Route. My second time there. There are both great baggage transport and person transport services along this route. La Malle Postale is the one I've used and you need to reserve this in advance. About €8 a bag a stage. If there are two of you just put your gear in the samebag and save money As well as the other services listed in the Miam Miam Dodo there is also a one a day mini bus service called The Compostella Bus I think. No need to reserve this but it can work out more expensive than La Malle Postale. Worth shopping around.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My cousins had first hand experience with La Malle Postalle and another provider and La Malle Postalle was fantastic compared to the other company. Very friendly Emmanuel is the owner. They can also let you know who to deal with further along the route.

I know I can use Ivar's service to send unused items to in Santiago, but does anyone know of a place I can do the same at SJPP. We will be leaving Le Puy heading for SJPP and need to store items there for our arrival. Thanks much!

I know I can use Ivar's service to send unused items to in Santiago, but does anyone know of a place I can do the same at SJPP. We will be leaving Le Puy heading for SJPP and need to store items there for our arrival. Thanks much!

If you are planning on booking a reservation at any place in SJPdP ask that place about storage. Another possibility is to ask to store at the Pilgrim Office at 39 rue de La Citadelle where there is a restricted amount of storage space available.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you. I wrote to the Pilgrim Office and am waiting a reply. If there is no availability I will book a place at SJPdP and ask if they will store. Thanks much.

Hi Rellrog - I just posted on stuff to the chambre d'hote I had booked for St Jean PdeP. I asked them beforehand and they were more than happy to hold it for me. Just remember to put your name on the parcel, c/o the gite in question :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you. I wrote to the Pilgrim Office and am waiting a reply. If there is no availability I will book a place at SJPdP and ask if they will store. Thanks much.

No worries - by the way this is the link to the chambre d'hote I stayed in (and sent on my package to) in St Jean Pied de Port http://www.chambres-hotes-saint-jean-pied-de-port.com/ Its called Tartasenia and is at the start / bottom of that brutal hill at the start of the Camino Frances leading out of St Jean and to Orisson and Roncesvalles :) It was beautiful and a wonderful treat at the end of my camino (Le Puy - St Jean) last year :)

Thanks very much Irish...appreciate your assistance. Will try them. Buen Camino!

As far as I know, they only run in the East-to-west direction, and I doubt they cover the Cele detour.

Did the Cele route about two weeks ago
And there were definitely people in
the gîtes who were having their bags transported.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We also walked the Cele Route a few weeks ago and spent a few days walking with a family from Belgium who were having their packs sent on, don't know who they were using. If you walk the marked track (GR651) it is tough going but lovely. Better than walking the road.

I used La Malle Postale everyday between Le Puy and Cahors. 8 Euros per day per bag. Plus when I was sick I could start with the Malle Postale and they would let me out and I could walk a partial section to my site. You pay extra for the ride and the calculation is based on distance. Their system is simple. Just be sure to grab a few extra envelopes of theirs for payment as not every gite has some. Phone: 0471042179

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back