• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

camino norte questions

dorothy shapiro

violanomad
Time of past OR future Camino
camino frances 2010, camino del norte june 2015
Hi all,

I am starting my second camino on June 3 from Irun and have a couple of questions. I am wondering if I can get away with just a silk liner inside of a polyester liner at that time of year. My other question is about sandals versus boots. My feet are so happy in my trekking sandals and not at all used to boots any more. BUT I wonder if the terrain in places would be difficult to negotiate in sandals. I have been walking the hills of Seattle with my pack in sandals with no problem. I would so appreciate some input and advice . I'm looking forward to getting back on the trail and meeting some new and wonderful people!

Buen camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ah, equipment questions. Since you have walked the CF you know best what works for you.
All I can say is the Norte is more challenging than the Frances. Follow your instincts, you make the choices, and remember you can purchase or unload (almost) anytime.
From Irun it's only one day to San Sebastian and you practically walk right past the outdoor store, Belagoa Kirolak. And within the week you will be in Bilbao where there is a Decathalon store.
You can modify your gear as needed. Enjoy your final week of prep.

Ah, equipment questions. Since you have walked the CF you know best what works for you.
All I can say is the Norte is more challenging than the Frances. Follow your instincts, you make the choices, and remember you can purchase or unload (almost) anytime.
From Irun it's only one day to San Sebastian and you practically walk right past the outdoor store, Belagoa Kirolak. And within the week you will be in Bilbao where there is a Decathalon store.
You can modify your gear as needed. Enjoy your final week of prep.
Good to know, thanks so much!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The path of the Norte is very variable, and a couple of years ago when I walked it, some sections were very, very muddy. Sandals would not have been an option at these points. If you can allow the extra weight I would carry both, on seriously rough or muddy sections wear boots and change into your sandals when you arrive at the alberge, and then you can also use the sandals on smoother stretches.

You will probably get away with just a liner, most alberges have a stack of blankets. The Norte is a great route, I hope you really enjoy it.

Just check the beds for bugs. A friend of mine was badly affected last year not far from Deba. I take boots AND sandals... As the sandals do for off duty and on duty when the feet are sensitive. If you can hike around Seatttle though in sandals then just go for it. I never use a liner though. I never use a blanket though I may put it UNDER my sleeping bag.

The path of the Norte is very variable, and a couple of years ago when I walked it, some sections were very, very muddy. Sandals would not have been an option at these points. If you can allow the extra weight I would carry both, on seriously rough or muddy sections wear boots and change into your sandals when you arrive at the alberge, and then you can also use the sandals on smoother stretches.

You will probably get away with just a liner, most alberges have a stack of blankets. The Norte is a great route, I hope you really enjoy it.
That's good advice, thank you so much!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just check the beds for bugs. A friend of mine was badly affected last year not far from Deba. I take boots AND sandals... As the sandals do for off duty and on duty when the feet are sensitive. If you can hike around Seatttle though in sandals then just go for it. I never use a liner though. I never use a blanket though I may put it UNDER my sleeping bag.
Yes the bed bug problem, I guess it is better to take my own sleeping bag and I will use the blanket as a shield for the matress! Thanks and buen camino

I lost my silk liner 3 days into my walk 2 years ago. Never replaced it but wish I had when I got to Galicia.It was June/July. Just used a towel to cover the matress.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi all,

I am starting my second camino on June 3 from Irun and have a couple of questions. I am wondering if I can get away with just a silk liner inside of a polyester liner at that time of year. My other question is about sandals versus boots. My feet are so happy in my trekking sandals and not at all used to boots any more. BUT I wonder if the terrain in places would be difficult to negotiate in sandals. I have been walking the hills of Seattle with my pack in sandals with no problem. I would so appreciate some input and advice . I'm looking forward to getting back on the trail and meeting some new and wonderful people!

Buen camino
Hey Dorothy, I am leaving a day after you, June 4. I plan to pack my trekking sandals and wear them after hiking the trail. Also, I think the trail and sun would beat up my feet too much. But like Kaixo said, you probably know best what is right for you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hey Dorothy, I am leaving a day after you, June 4. I plan to pack my trekking sandals and wear them after hiking the trail. Also, I think the trail and sun would beat up my feet too much. But like Kaixo said, you probably know best what is right for you.
Are you as excited as I am?! I think I am all sorted out, will bring my boots as a back-up and found a wool liner to go with the silk one. It look s like we are in for some beautiful weather if you can believe the weather forecasts.

Hope to run into you on the trail.

Buen camino!

Are you as excited as I am?! I think I am all sorted out, will bring my boots as a back-up and found a wool liner to go with the silk one. It look s like we are in for some beautiful weather if you can believe the weather forecasts.

Hope to run into you on the trail.

Buen camino!
I am totally excited. I am going to the anchorage, Alaska airport tomorrow. Should be in Irun June 3. The weather is too good to be true. Have a great camino and hope to run in to you.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi pilgrims , last year i had some spare days and i walked from Irun to Santander , so my plan for this year was to start in Bilbao and walk to Santiago in 24 days . It turned out that i can...
Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.