• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Camino Ignaciano

MichaelSG

Retired member
Time of past OR future Camino
Not enough
It didn't look like I'd be walking another Camino until 2016 because of family weddings this year during which were scheduled during my normal "walking season" but last week I saw JonnieWalkers' signature with a link to the Camino Ignaciano website (http://caminoignaciano.org/en).

Hmmmmm..... says I! After 8 years of Jesuit education, I had to have a look. Now it appears plans have been juggled and I may just walk from Loyola in the Basque country to Manresa near Barcelona next month. That's about 650km following in the footsteps of St. Ignatius who was heading to Jerusalem almost 500 years ago.

Has anyone else here done this walk? Any tips beyond what is in the website or the few posts in this forum?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for that link John. I enjoyed the read there and went through the camino web site pretty thoroughly. It took a bit of thinking, as well as some convincing of my wife, but the plane tickets have now been booked. We arrive in Barcelona early in the morning on 15 April and head straight to Zummaraga / Azpeitia / Loyola on the same day. That's about a month and a half from finding out about the camino and the start of the walk. We must be getting slow. We got married 20 years ago after a five week engagement.

p.s. - I do plan to do a blog but we'll see how it goes. I'm on a boat 3 of the 5 weeks between now and the start so a lot of stuff needs to get done.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've added a link to my signature for a potential (hopeful??) blog for our walk that starts next week. Everything is ready...except, of course, my wife and me. We'll see how that turns out. St. Ignatius, pray for us.

Hello Michael, as JohnnieWalker mentioned above my wife Robin and I walked the Camino Ignaciano this past January. It has its own unique challenges including less inexpensive accommodation, fewer pilgrims (we saw no one on the Ignaciano), some long flat meseta like stretches, and a more business like arrival in Manresa (nothing like arriving in Santiago). But, despite the above, we found it to be one of our most enjoyable caminos. It truly felt like a pilgrimage, which is what we enjoy. The Basque Country mountains are beautiful, the flat sections always (well mostly) had wonderful vistas and drew us deeper into our reflexions, and Montserrat is simply a place where a wandering soul finds peace. In short you will enjoy it, perhaps more than you think. For us, the Ignaciano just seemed to slowly embrace us as the journey progressed until we realized we did not want to be any place else. Happy to answer any questions you might have. Safe travels, and buen camino.

John

Thanks much John. I read your entire blog in preparation for our walk and I loved it. I can't remember if I committed to going just before or after reading it but it was important in the process. I've added a link in my blog to yours as one of the references for future pilgrims, if by some weird coincidence, anyone other than my brothers and sisters read my blog!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks much John. I read your entire blog in preparation for our walk and I loved it. I can't remember if I committed to going just before or after reading it but it was important in the process. I've added a link in my blog to yours as one of the references for future pilgrims, if by some weird coincidence, anyone other than my brothers and sisters read my blog!
Hola, Michael!

It's the first time I've heard of this Camino. Isn't it actually Cami Catala por Zaragoza in reverse (from Logrono)? Or are the routes slightly different and merges in some major cities along the way like Fraga & Zaragoza?

Ultreia!

After going south from Loyola to Navarette, the Camino Ignaciano heads eastward to Logrono, Alcanadre, Calahorra, Alfaro, Tudela, Gallur, Alagun, Zaragoza, Fuentes de Ebro, Vente de Santa Lucia, Bujaraloz, Candasnos, Fraga, Lleida, Palau dAngelsolo, Verdu, Cervera, Ingualada, Montserrat then Manresa. I'm not sure how much of it coincides with the reverse walk of the Cami Catala por Zaragoza but I'd be happy to meet any pilgrims going either direction.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just some random thoughts for anyone thinking of walking the Camino Ignaciano:
- First, it is a fantastic walk. I have no regrets about choosing that one and I loved walking it.
- As all Camino walks are, it was challenging in its own unique ways. In April, we experienced snow on the ground, hail in the mountains, rain, mud, lots of burning sun, endless miles of gravel walking, lots of roads, that durn N-II highway, lots and lots of flat terrain. But we loved it all anyway.
- The first week in the Basque mountains is unbelievably stunning and I am referring to the people as well as the scenery and walks. Most days there are shorter stages of 18-22km and even with little preparation, just perfect for this old man's legs.
- In April / May, the trails in the first week had lots of day walkers. We met a few pilgrims along the route and a few more walking the Camino routes in the opposite direction but don't count on seeing too many. I hope this changes.
- As with the other Caminos, I loved walking through the many beautiful small villages as well as the ancient larger cities. Spain ages wonderfully and respects her past.
- I could not imagine how a pilgrim could do this walk without the GPS tracks. Arrows are plentiful in some sections and few and far between in others. There are lots of places where arrows were generally plentiful but then you hit a fork and there is nothing, you need the iPhone. I met one pilgrim who said he rarely referred to the GPS but he also admitted to getting lost several times and walking lots of extra kilometers. I found the iPhone and apps GPS Kit as well as Here (offline maps) invaluable. (Edited to note that I now use maps.me which is much, much better, uses no data, it's free, easy to use, and never has failed me).
- I met only one person on the whole walk who I would describe as having an unpleasant experience with. He was just trying to make a buck though.
- You walk on a lot of lonely stretches through the forest, desert, farmlands, along rivers and canals, etc. I felt safe the entire time except in two situations that turned out to be nothing but they were worrying at the time. Once along the long canal, we had a SUV of young men drive past us up and down a track a few too many times and they slowed to look at us but not speak. On another occasion heading into Lleida, two African immigrants - I was guessing by their looks to be illegal but that's just a guess - were out picking snails out of the roadside drain. They took too much interest in us, luckily one at a time but only five minutes apart. They each came up to us as soon as they saw us, stood inches away asking detailed questions about what we were doing overall and that particular day. One was carrying a thick stick. My imagination said that they were sizing me up. I was happy that I am an XL.
- I like to walk every step of the Camino but the stages in this walk are sometimes challenging. A 16km day followed by a 35km day happens. To level out the days, I think four times we ended up doing something like walking the short day, checking into our accommodations, dropping off most gear, taking a taxi 8-10km down the next days route and walking backwards to town. The next day we took a taxi to the same spot and started walking to the next town. That means each of those rides cost about 20e so that blew 160e on taxis to make it more tolerable.
- We chose to stay mostly in pensions, casa rurals, hostals or hotels. Most places that meant 40-75e per night for the us - a lot more than the 10-20e on the French route but no one kept me up by their snoring. My wife might not be able to say the same thing. :p From Navarette to Igualada, maybe half the stage ends had albergues that provided cheaper options.
- The ability to speak Spanish helps a lot on this Camino. I found it necessary to at least be able to ask for a room, make a reservation on the phone, order a meal and get a taxi as well as to understand when you get an unexpected answer.
- Bring a cheap phone along to make room reservations one day in advance. A 10e pre-paid SIM card was all I needed for the month. It still probably has 9e credit.
- One of the most unusual things I brought, that I needed every day was a clothes line. I take that back, the most useful thing I brought was flexibility.
- I like walking every day, if I can. I'll come back and be a tourist when I can't walk any more. That said, take at least an extra day in Monserrat. You really need to experience the evening and the morning without all the tour busses.
- Food: some days we had great food - top quality meals for about 15e each. Some days we got stuck with toastados for breakfast, a shared boccadillo or less for lunch and we find out that we can only get a few pintxos or racciones for dinner. We went to bed hungry a few times which isn't good on a Camino but then I think of the poor in the world. I'll survive.
- The entire Camino is definitely on Spanish time. It was really hard to find breakfast before 8:30am. Dinner before 8:30pm is even more difficult. Even check out times in some accommodations were not allowed until 8:00am! In one place on a Saturday night, the hospitalero said that he understood we were walking the Camino and could be very flexible about breakfast time the next day. When we asked for breakfast at 7:30, he almost had a heart attack. He said it's Sunday!!! Normally they do breakfast at 9:00am but he meant by "flexible" that he could make it at 10:00 or 11:00am! We negotiated to 8:30am and he was still a bit grumpy.

I'll probably think of other stuff later.

Last edited:
Hola Michael,

Great summary from your recent walk along the Camino Ignaciano. Thanks for posting this. Robin and I also found it to be an extraordinary Camino, but admittedly there were days when we too were crunching alongside those seemingly endless railroad tracks and highways when I was less sure of that. However, it is a Camino that requires time to accommodate oneself to it. Once I found that rhythm most of those solitary stretches became quite pleasant as my busy mind turned inward for respite. I also enjoyed the contrasts found on this Camino. Starting in the beautiful environs of Euskadi, transiting through the vineyards of Rioja, climbing up onto Los Monegros with its broad vistas, and the peace of Montserrat (not many tour buses in early February) all helped make this a wonderful Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have been walking the other way on the Camí Catalan, and I would suggest :

a) wait until September

b) bring your hiking a-game

I've had to skip the meseta stages from physical disability, but just seeing them from the bus today gave me the sense that they have to be the toughest of any Camino anywhere. The meseta on steroids.

But if 35-40K days are your norm, and more if necessary, then in cooler weather there's no reason why not. Also would help to be prepared to sleep outdoors when needed -- though where a pilgrim welcome exists, it is *excellent*.

It's true that Manresa is a strange city.

it would be interesting to see if the number of pilgrims increases next year. The Jesuits community will celebrate the 500 years of St Ignatius walking from his hometown of Loyola to Manresa...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
One thing I've found is that the Ignaciano pilgrims don't fully realise that the path they're following is only the first portion of St Ignatius' Way to Rome.

If they did, the Ignatian arrows waymarking it would be white ; not orange.

One thing I've found is that the Ignaciano pilgrims don't fully realise that the path they're following is only the first portion of St Ignatius' Way to Rome.

If they did, the Ignatian arrows waymarking it would be white ; not orange.
Wow, I never expected to be back posting on this forum but you got me here.

I am pretty sure that most pilgrims walking the Camino Ignaciano are well aware the Ignatius was on his pilgrimage to Jerusalem. His destination in Spain was to Navarrete to collect a debt, then to Monserrat to visit a statue and lose his sword, then - originally - to Barcelona to catch a boat. That boat was to take him to Rome where he needed to stop to get permission from the Vatican to travel to Jerusalem. He stayed in Rome only long enough to wear down the officials so he could get on his way. So, what is the only color allowed for arrows to Jerusalem and why did God mandate that color?

Regarding the Camino Ignaciano, it’s certainly not necessary to walk 35-40km days. We only had 5 days over 30km with one of them more than 32km. Our average was 24km per day and we slept in nice beds every night too. I believe when you speak of the meseta on this route, you are actually referring to Los Monegros, the “semi-desert”. Yes, it’s a challenge that I certainly would not want to walk in summer but it is a beautiful walk the rest of the year.

My point really wasn't that deep, it's rather that current norms seem to be that where waymarked ways towards Compostela and Rome coincide, it's yellow one way, white the other.

As to being aware of the Roman route, my admittedly anecdotal experience suggested that most were not, and were on a hiking trip, which of course does not mean that all are not.

Perhaps the current promotion of the Catalan Way from/to the French border will help improve perceptions though ...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It didn't look like I'd be walking another Camino until 2016 because of family weddings this year during which were scheduled during my normal "walking season" but last week I saw JonnieWalkers' signature with a link to the Camino Ignaciano website (http://caminoignaciano.org/en).

Hmmmmm..... says I! After 8 years of Jesuit education, I had to have a look. Now it appears plans have been juggled and I may just walk from Loyola in the Basque country to Manresa near Barcelona next month. That's about 650km following in the footsteps of St. Ignatius who was heading to Jerusalem almost 500 years ago.

Has anyone else here done this walk? Any tips beyond what is in the website or the few posts in this forum?
I've done this walk twice, once as a Jesuit novice and then recently in two separate stages. It covers some of the key Ignatian sites (Loyola, Aranzazu, Naverette, Montserrat, Manresa) which are fascinating, but the trail is little used and accommodation can be a challenge; often people do a cut down version to avoid the infamous Monegros desert. Great trek if you are up for it. I've written two books on this: The Way to Manresa and Brothers in Arms (out in May).

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back