• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Comfortable stay in Santiago

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
Hello friends,
I am back from my walk: Back in the Arctic, but three weeks in Creete awaits me from Saturday :) .

I just wanted to give you some advice on staying in Santiago: I was fortunate to find Mr. Jose Ramon and his mother, two very kind and helpful people, who provided me with a very comfortable stay in the centre of the old town of Santiago, in a single room, for only 30 Euros/night. Doubles I think go for 40. I even had a balcony with a view to the bell tower of the cathedral. Also a complete kitchen + closed terrace with good chairs +++ Hot water showers & toilets, flawless.

If you are in need of accomodation in Santiago, I recommend the following: In Rua Vilar (where the pilgrim office is located at the start of the street), walk down the street and enter a tiny fruit shop near the end, on your right hand. Say hello from Alex. They will provide you with great, old-fashion style accomodation in the heart of Santiago, for a very reasonable price.

Jose Ramon speaks English fluently (perfect, actually, having been brought up in England), and his mother does a good job as well. They will do laundry and help you as best they can.

This is no advert; just a kind advice for a nice stay in oldtown Santiago. Very close to the best tapas bar in Santiago, in Rua Castro.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Gracias Señor!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Tel.no. 981 582 362
Rua Villar 80 (fruit shop) Remember to say hello from Alex, and you will get special attention,

When in Spain, you will of course find the best accomodation & laundry in a fruit shop, yes? :)
Hi Alex, Is this an albergue, private hostel or B&B?
Thanks.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Private hostel/pension. You can have single room for 30 Euros/night. They also have double/3 beds/4 beds, if you want to share. Will be cheaper than staying at the Seminario (public albergue). They have 2 places: Rua Vilar and the next street, Rua do Castro (the main pedestrian street). I stayed in the latter: Kitchen, lounge, showers/toilets outside the rooms. Nice and affordable, and not least, in the very centre of the city!

Crete? What a change! I trust you to stay far away from Hania, Rethymno, and Iraklio but if you have never walked the Gramvousa peninsula all the way to Balos then now is a great time to do it! Go south youth man and inland Crete should not be missed-it is the Crete of my formative years-no spas no beach resorts no discos. The Lybian Sea is beautiful and freezing just like the water Norway so you should feel right at home! Thanks for the information, tucked away nicely in my Santiago file!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Scruffy,
Agia Apostoli it is! 4th time. Peace and quiet. Will travel in my hiking shoes in case I do the canyon walk. Looking forward to calm days with plenty of peregrino gasolino (beer) at my favorite seaside restaurant and calamaris with garlic sauce. :)

And yes, some exploration will be done, including revisit to Knossos. Thanks for the tip!

Hello friends,
I am back from my walk: Back in the Arctic, but three weeks in Creete awaits me from Saturday :) .

I just wanted to give you some advice on staying in Santiago: I was fortunate to find Mr. Jose Ramon and his mother, two very kind and helpful people, who provided me with a very comfortable stay in the centre of the old town of Santiago, in a single room, for only 30 Euros/night. Doubles I think go for 40. I even had a balcony with a view to the bell tower of the cathedral. Also a complete kitchen + closed terrace with good chairs +++ Hot water showers & toilets, flawless.

If you are in need of accomodation in Santiago, I recommend the following: In Rua Vilar (where the pilgrim office is located at the start of the street), walk down the street and enter a tiny fruit shop near the end, on your right hand. Say hello from Alex. They will provide you with great, old-fashion style accomodation in the heart of Santiago, for a very reasonable price.

Jose Ramon speaks English fluently (perfect, actually, having been brought up in England), and his mother does a good job as well. They will do laundry and help you as best they can.

This is no advert; just a kind advice for a nice stay in oldtown Santiago. Very close to the best tapas bar in Santiago, in Rua Castro.

hi alex
thanks for info - i'm smiling for how you gave directions. we would certainly want to knock on their door - do you have a tel number perhaps?
kind regards
louisa

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks for posting this, great post. I am always looking for names of great places to stay.

Dammit, would have stayed there had we known. Home now with all the happy memories of two weeks ago in Santiago (then a 13 hour bus ride to Irun...). We stayed in the Hotel Miradoiro de Belvis which was very good and reasonable and near the wonderful old market.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back