• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Safety pin alternative?

nangiakki

Time of past OR future Camino
hopefully - Northern Route/Primitivo (2015)
Hello - I have read quite a few posts that mention safety pins as a way to attach wet socks or other clothing items to your backpack. Is there an alternative that doesn't involve sticking holes into things? Some type of double clip?
Thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Nangiakki, No need to stick holes in things. There are loads of loops on the top of most backpacks and on the side. I loop the "nappy type safety pin" through this for all my wet clothes, no holes no problems. Just back from six weeks of doing this on the Levante.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola and welcome to the forum

Safety pins are useful in many ways and can be used for multiple purposes.
Look over your backpack and use the clips, loops or other design to attach the pins, so you wont pierce the fabric.
Another item that can be useful is a few meters of thin cord/string.
You could attack a cord horizontal on the back of the pack and use this as your wash line.

I hope this helps.

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

Safety pins are so multi purpose...I keep them attached to loops on my pack so they are there when I need them. They can always be removed, and replaced, for line hanging. Clamps would concern me because they tend to stretch/bend with use, sometimes barely discernible, and after carrying a thick cushy sock, might not work well for liners.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I use these. Although they are iffy with socks, I prefer carabiners to safety pins. All other clothes have loops or holes.

Is there an alternative that doesn't involve sticking holes into things? Some type of double clip?
Thanks
Safety pins have worked very well for me. They are very secure, and no one steals them.

I have seen name tag clips recommended for the same purpose - cheap and light weight. I don't think they would be nearly as secure as safety pins.

Karl

Safety pins have worked very well for me. They are very secure, and no one steals them.

I have seen name tag clips recommended for the same purpose - cheap and light weight. I don't think they would be nearly as secure as safety pins.

Karl

I love my nappy safety pin bought in France on the Stevenson Cevennes hike.... But I managed to 'lose' one pair of socks and underwear on the way out from Irun to San Sebastien.... Moral of the tale is not to overload!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I simply adored the via de a Plata. I was rather unhappy on the Camino de Levante though, apart from Avila and Toledo.

I would happily go with you in 2016! A really life enhancing journey. Fabulous cities, little English and gorgeous scenery. It was hot though and there was one tough day when we set off at 5am due to the heat and distance without water refuelling and need to be on the road. Otherwise Caceres and Merida were stupendous. Salamanca good but rather busy and touristy, and Zamora always feels like home! Treat yourself and get a bus to Trujillo near Caceres. Am finishing the Norte and Primitivo this year (possibly also Ferrol....)

I used Clothes pins and safety pins both on the drying line at the albergues and on my back pack. I finally just used the safety pins as they were much more securing then the clothes pins. I also saw many socks and other unmentionables on the Camino that fell off of back packs most likely from not being secured to dry very well as they walked. How many others saw that wayward sock or undies laying all alone on the way????

Nevertheless, it always put a smile on my face when I did see that but the poor pilgrim who lost a sock ect.......

Ed

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.