• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guides on Camino Portugues

richeyboy

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP-SdeC: Oct 2011; SJPP-Leon, Oct 14; Tomar (PO)/SJPP Oct 15
Hi all,
I am planning on doing the Portugues this autumn sometime as a change from the Frances.
I would be grateful for any advice on the most useful and up to date guides (Brierley? Miam Miam etc?).
Or is Ivar's app all you need?
Thanks in advance.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I got this year's edition of Brierley's guide...Found it very useful although I still got lost on my day out of Porto. But wait, the veterans of the CP (Albertinho, Amorfati and many more) may come up with other options.
Bom Caminho!

Hi all,
I am planning on doing the Portugues this autumn sometime as a change from the Frances.
I would be grateful for any advice on the most useful and up to date guides (Brierley? Miam Miam etc?).
Or is Ivar's app all you need?
Thanks in advance.
Hi Richey
Just completed the Camino Portuguese and thoroughly enjoyed it - had a great Camino Family of all nationalities :)
I started in Porto and took 10 days to get to SdC used the Brierley guide but the route is well marked. I took the metro to Mercado and then walked along the coast to Vila do Conde before heading to Barcelos on the Central route. Walking out of Porto is very hilly and the arrows are difficult to see if the roads are busy. Starting at Mercado is a good way to ease the body into walking.
Have a wonderful journey and Bien Camino :) !

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I got this year's edition of Brierley's guide...Found it very useful although I still got lost on my day out of Porto. But wait, the veterans of the CP (Albertinho, Amorfati and many more) may come up with other options.
Bom Caminho!
Ha ha Angelo !:). I am a fan of the Brierley guide but Laurie Reynolds wrote an excellent guide the other day for the leg Lisbon to Porto
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/lisbon-to-porto-2015-version.298/

Bom caminho

Hi Richey
Just completed the Camino Portuguese and thoroughly enjoyed it - had a great Camino Family of all nationalities :)
I started in Porto and took 10 days to get to SdC used the Brierley guide but the route is well marked. I took the metro to Mercado and then walked along the coast to Vila do Conde before heading to Barcelos on the Central route. Walking out of Porto is very hilly and the arrows are difficult to see if the roads are busy. Starting at Mercado is a good way to ease the body into walking.
Have a wonderful journey and Bien Camino :) !
As soon as you start at the Sé cathedral in Porto find your way down to the river and follow the river keeping it at your left side to the ocean and continue the ocean at your left to the bridge of Matosinhos. Very nice walk ,10 kms .no problem at all
On your way you allready find the waymarkers. We did it last week ..
Bom caminho

We will start from Oporto on8 th June. I just had an inspiration: there is a regular boat service from Oporto to the Rivera mouth. I think we will try that as an interesting alternative!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We will start from Oporto on8 th June. I just had an inspiration: there is a regular boat service from Oporto to the Rivera mouth. I think we will try that as an interesting alternative!
We did not find that one. Last week we went with the antique tram almost to the end of the river.We could see the mouth of the Douro river. Up there at that particular tramstop I thought it was the second stop after the second bridge - the first bridge is the famous Eiffelimage.jpg bridge- was a bar and there the locals sung and played beautiful fado music. They told us to be early due to find a place We were but even then it was packed. Great performance. Not the touristical thing but right out of the heart.
Going out of the bar in front was a small ferryboat which brought us to the other side of the river and from there we walked back (about 45 minutes) to Vila Nova de Gaia where the portwine houses are. With the funicular we went up to the high level of the Eiffel bridge and continued walking to our rented appartment in the Lapa area. Great day.

Last edited:
I carried both Brierley and the guide downloadable from this forum. Brierley stayed in my pack most of the time. However, having come up the coast I didn't join the Central route until Valenca so had limited time to use either guide. I found the forum guide more useful for the way I walked. I used the map on my phone when I needed one, I wanted more detail than Brierley provided.

Laurie Reynolds, I just read your Lisbon-Porto directions and was amazed at your detail! Thank you! I woke up this morning 'solving' the mystery of why your Guide was so remarkably different to me, than a road map; Of course! We are on foot, detail must be by the foot instead of by the mile. How could I have forgotten so soon (after the Francis - Sept/14) :)
Thanks to you, Laurie, I can almost taste the Camino...........totally excited for our Sept 12th departure!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back