• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Money Belt, Bum Bag or Neck Pouch

Waka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Some but not all, and other routes too.
Morning all

I've been trying to decide on which one to take that will keep my money, passport and bank cards safe.

With the money belt I'm a little concerned that it might rub once the rucksack is on, although I do see the advantage of having it around the waist during the night.

This also applies to the neck pouch during the day, I'm not sure it would be all that comfortable during the night.

Now to the famous Bum bags, I know they have their uses and a lot of people love them. I can see the advantage but have to say I loath them (maybe loath is too strong a word). Getting what's needed out during the day can be easier and I guess if you're wearing a rucksack, wearing one of these doesn't look out of place.

Here's my thoughts, take a bum bag for the daytime and transfer money, passport, credit cards etc to the money belt for sleeping.

As always I'm happy to have my plans, thoughts, shot to pieces

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Is a good question - answer is it is personal choice. All I would say is to have two stashes; passport and card and cash in one, copy of passport and another card and cash in the other, so that if one is stolen or lost - highly unlikely - then you have the other one and aren't stuck. Actually, three! you will need access to small amounts of cash every day, have that handy but separate.

Buen Camino

Cash in a plastic pouch in a secure pocket in my cut-offs. Transferred to my evening cut-offs when in the shower. Ditto with smartphone. Passport, credential and credit card in plastic in a pouch under my shirt and over one shoulder, and which sits to one side just below my pack’s waist belt when fastened, so still easy to get at when checking in anywhere. I put the pouch and smart phone inside my cut-offs at night, which becomes my pillow, with my microfibre towel laid across. Small amount of daily cash is kept in another, easily accessible pocket.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Totally agree with Lise T. I love bum bags.

When walking I keep my bum bag in my backpack, but all other times I wear it round the waist, comfortably and with plenty of space for valuables. It goes everywhere with ease, the shower, the depths of the sleeping bag at night and it is so easy to open and close whilst wearing. Brilliant invention.

Loved Lise T's post - especially the wearing over the shoulder in the evenings and the loop for shower hanging.

I too don't like the things but this may have changed my mind! HHmm, would add a packet of mints I think - those horses and donkeys we meet, they like them.

There's a few good suggestions that I didn't think of, especially separating money, cards etc, so I'll certainly take that onboard.

Regarding the bumbag, you either love them or hate them, bit like Marmite, I have never owned or used one so maybe in my doting years it's something I should try. I do like the fact that when removing your pack you don't have to rummage around for necessities.
Might have to have a complete rethink here.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Loved Lise T's post - especially the wearing over the shoulder in the evenings and the loop for shower hanging.

I too don't like the things but this may have changed my mind! HHmm, would add a packet of mints I think - those horses and donkeys we meet, they like them.

There you go David, us guys are never to old to learn:):)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Although I never wore it as a "bum" bag I found it quite useful to keep all my valuables. During the day, it was in the top part of my pack and was easily accessible. Since I carried cash and my pilgrim credential in my pockets I almost never needed it.

Once at the albergue I would just sling it over my shoulder whether I was going for a shower, dinner, etc.

Neck pouch for me but hey a bit of common sense! If one wears it dangling then there will alsways be a problem with rubbing and ahh...boobage (something from which I don't suffer). Should be worn crosswise, that is one one shoulder, over the head and under the other arm. Super safe, no rubbing, dangling, boobage, or worry-easily taken into the shower and comfortaly slept with.

There's a few good suggestions that I didn't think of, especially separating money, cards etc, so I'll certainly take that onboard.

Regarding the bumbag, you either love them or hate them, bit like Marmite, I have never owned or used one so maybe in my doting years it's something I should try. I do like the fact that when removing your pack you don't have to rummage around for necessities.
Might have to have a complete rethink here.
Personally I hate "bum bags" (I've heard them called far worse things :D).
I had a neck pouch with my passport, cash, credit cards in it, but I didn't wear it around my neck. I looped the cord attached to it through one of the belt loops on my pants or shorts and then tucked it into a back or cargo pocket. When I showered I'd hang the shorts up in front of me in the stall.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Neck pouch for me but hey a bit of common sense! If one wears it dangling then there will alsways be a problem with rubbing and ahh...boobage (something from which I don't suffer). Should be worn crosswise, that is one one shoulder, over the head and under the other arm. Super safe, no rubbing, dangling, boobage, or worry-easily taken into the shower and comfortaly slept with.
a word of warning to my fellow oldies! be careful of ALL advice! the wise ones dont tell u of the obvious pitfalls! like one morning,feeling frisky,i broke into a fast shuffle. i wondered why every time i opened my mouth to breathe a howling gale went whistling past where my tonsils used to be! Yes folks! No teeth! appropos of another thread i wondered what s.o.b would run off with a man's dentures! then it dawned on me. they were back there under the pillow where i had left them! ye gods and other expressions passed my lips (now firmly buttoned) and i did not go back for them either! this came about because of many near throttlings from wearing money belts etc at night and using the pillow as a night safe!!! being ex forces i also use my boots to hide things in and yes u smarties i have trodden many a pair of glasses to smithereens! Laff ? i near damn wet meself! :)
the malingerer!

Morning all

I've been trying to decide on which one to take that will keep my money, passport and bank cards safe.

With the money belt I'm a little concerned that it might rub once the rucksack is on, although I do see the advantage of having it around the waist during the night.

This also applies to the neck pouch during the day, I'm not sure it would be all that comfortable during the night.

Now to the famous Bum bags, I know they have their uses and a lot of people love them. I can see the advantage but have to say I loath them (maybe loath is too strong a word). Getting what's needed out during the day can be easier and I guess if you're wearing a rucksack, wearing one of these doesn't look out of place.

Here's my thoughts, take a bum bag for the daytime and transfer money, passport, credit cards etc to the money belt for sleeping.

Morning all

I have yet to walk the camino, but I have used waist and neck pouches on other trips to Europe. The security of money, passport, credit cards, etc. is an issue, and one I have yet to solve. I didn't really like the waist belt (it felt cumbersome) so I went with the neck pouch, which protruded through my clothes and destroyed any sense of fashion. But I guess fashion isn't a focal point on the camino. It did rub and was sort of hot. Then I heard about a traveler who wore the waist belt and didn't realize it had come undone, slipped down one pant leg, and she found herself dragging it on the ground around one of her feet! For me, the bum bag might be the route to go. I have also considered making a pouch of sorts that I can attach to the bottom of my bra, resting around my midriff. Mark lee has a good suggestion of using the neck pouch through belt loops. One of my problems is that I must wear a dental splint at night due to a jaw problem. It comes in its own hard plastic case. I am as protective of this splint as I am of my money etc. It costs about the price of a full fare flight to Europe. I don't know where to keep it -- maybe a bum belt.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I think you're misunderstanding how to use a money belt. The idea of a money belt is to use it like a safe. Put most of your stuff in the belt. The belt under your clothes. You should almost never need to access your belt during the day.

The money etc for the day would be in your wallet or other easily accessable place.

A fanny/bum bag tends to be a target for thieves. It's fine for the stuff you can afford to lose but I wouldn't use it for security

A blessing of being nearsighted, can't see or do anything without the goggles, all night in my shoe, first thing on in the morning. I might leave the albergue not wearing my pants, but my glasses will be firmly in place!

So complicated: what about your cargo pockets and backpack? I carry money for the day in regular psnt or fleece sweater, rest of money in my cargo pants pockets, and pasports in backpack. I never leave,these items unatended oby myself or trusted person when at loo or ordering cafe con leche.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The bumbag or fanny pack definitely defines you as a tourist in most place around the world. Granted walking the Camino you will stand out as a tourist anyway, but why the obsession on this keep safe place.
Put your passport and credential in a plastic bag in one pocket and your wallet, money and credit cards in another pocket. Simple.
I use a front pockets just because there are few thieves that will try to go there.

I did find my neck pouch did rub a bit...and moved around....i had it over one shoulder. I think my boobage didn't help with that.

I never ever thought I would say this....but I loved my bum bag!!!

It held:
a little bit of money
Camera
chapstick
Pilgrams passport ( in a small plastic bag)
Normal passport (plastic bag)
Pen/knife
Worthers orginal lollies
Tissues (for toilet stops)
Antiseptic spray
Chocolate

The best thing was when I took my pack off to go into a shop I didnt have to dig around for anything....everything was in the bumbag.

I loved when using a bathroom I didnt have to take it off. So no chance of leaving it behind.

In the evenings I would loosen the waist strap and wear it across my shoulder.

I made a little loop in the centre of mine so it was easy to hang in the showers.

It was comfortable to wear in bed also.

Totally agree with David about taking more than one card and keeping them separate.
Do you know the name of the bum bag you used? I haven't yet found one that I like enough to settle on, but I think I like the concept.

A blessing of being nearsighted, can't see or do anything without the goggles, all night in my shoe, first thing on in the morning. I might leave the albergue not wearing my pants, but my glasses will be firmly in place!
as a result of recent cataract operation on right eye i can now see better than when i was a child! patiently waiting for left eye to be done and fingers crossed etc i will now be able to see the holes i fall down! i take it "pants" is americanese for outer garments and not yer drawers? i mean to say old chap, one must have a sense of decorum lest the ladies be offended and yeah man,make with many posts!:)
the malingerer.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
image.jpg This small bumbag worked well for me, but gear testing is the only way to go. As you can see, I have too many cords around my neck to consider a neck pouch.

Bumbag is a typical tourist bag that says "Sea World". It's been around about 35 years now and is going on St Olav's Way with me next month. The other little green bag is one of those "stuffs into itself" bag that I found invaluable on the trip. Water bottle is peeking out from behind bumbag. It is in a pocket. There is a black cloth replacing the bandana that I lost also hanging on my belt. This is not meant to be for everyone----just demonstrating what worked for me. The only thing I will change is to make sure the bandana is fastened more securely next time. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Waka, great question and lots of helpful replies here. In the Chicago airport before my camino, I picked up a cheap money belt, but my experience was between perspiration and being just behind my backpack waist belt, my passport and paper money was soggy by the end of the day. When I was in Astorga, I found a little sports shop and bought this pouch. It's a combination of the three things you describe: part money belt, part neck pouch, part bum bag. It has a belt loop on back and the neck strap stows away. A few pockets of different sizes and detachable coin purse.

I wore it on my back pack belt during the day and it would easily slide off if I took my pack off and wanted it with me.

Attachments

• 20150525_112854.jpg
    20150525_112854.jpg
    614.8 KB · Views: 93
Is a good question - answer is it is personal choice. All I would say is to have two stashes; passport and card and cash in one, copy of passport and another card and cash in the other, so that if one is stolen or lost - highly unlikely - then you have the other one and aren't stuck. Actually, three! you will need access to small amounts of cash every day, have that handy but separate.

Buen Camino

I would be cautious about anything interfering with pack's waist belt. I carried a neck belt for passports, cards, and main money stash. I would recommend having small plastic bag for passports. A small amount of cash can go into pocket. The neck strap can hang over neck or neck/shoulder depending on pack comfort. When you get used to having it on you are less likely to leave it behind.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Why is it called a 'bum bag' when it's not worn on the bum?
As I understand it they were originally designed to be worn in back, but pick pocketing made turning them around more feasible.

Some really interesting comments here and a lot for me to ponder over.

On my rucksack (Lowe Alpine) I have two pouches on the waist strap, one each side. Lathes these are not a great size they will certainly have a use, for example one will take the iPhone and any cash I need for the day.
As my walking pants have zips on all there pockets I could easily put my cards and share cash in one and passport in the other.
None of this addresses the problem of keeping everything with me when the rucksack is not in use, like showering etc.
I've really got to have a rethink on what's going to work for me. I really value all the comments that I've received, as always not everything works for everyone.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I carry a wallet in my pocket with some cash. I use a money belt that goes around my waist and under my shorts, in this I have a tiny wallet with card and money/ I keep passport and credential in a ziplock bag in a zipped pocket of my shorts. 9000 km in 4 years in 4 countries, no problems.

I wouldn’t normally wander around with a money belt or neck pouch or bum bag so I took a lightweight shoulder bag like I would use at home and it worked for me. (I didn't have pockets in my clothes that were big enough for my stuff.)

I invested in a Sea to Summit ultra-sil zip up sling bag which weights next to nothing. My small purse lived in a rucksack pocket but everything else - bank cards, passports, plane ticket home and other valuables - lived in my sling bag and I put them at the top of my rucksack. If I stopped anywhere I simply took out the sling bag and left my rucksack without worrying. If I had a shower I put my towel/toiletries into the sling bag and hung the bag up on the door. Bag was small enough to come to bed with me and slip under the pillow.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Wallet in one pocket with cash and main card. Pilgrim's passport in a cargo pocket, passport and back up card in the other cargo pocket. My pockets all have closures so I don't over think it. If you have shallow or open pockets maybe it's more of an issue. Whatever you choose make sure it doesn't lay under any of your pack straps/belt. Also, wear it around a lot before you leave to make sure it doesn't chafe.

Hello. I’ve been reading here for quite some time, have learned a great deal and decided it was time to finally sign up. Have followed this thread with interest and would like to input a solution which has worked for me while traveling under sometimes rough conditions.

I’m no friend of bum bags for many of the same reasons already described above. Money belts are commonly worn where the rucksack belt is supposed to do its job and standard neck pouches might be fine when city-hopping through Europe, but are usually worn close to the body and not designed to keep the contents dry as well as safe.

As is often the case, there is no single, perfect solution. However, there is one I’ve used for many years either when sailing or on extended Alpine treks. It’s called an Aquapac . Mine weighs in at exactly 82 g. and is essentially a waterproof neck pouch, which can also be easily folded to about the size of an EU passport to also fit into a zippered pocket.

I bought mine many years ago to keep my passport, cash, cards and sailing documents in when sailing. It can also be used for carrying a cell phone and/or small camera if required. The dimensions of my Aquapac are apprx. 21 X 14 cm. It has a removable shoulder strap for when it’s not being worn as a neck pouch.

Here’s a link to one of many products like this now on the market:

http://www.backcountry.com/nrs-aquapac-654-small-whanganui-all-purpose-case

Until I come across something better, this is the way I’ll be going.

Best regards,

Ara

Totally agree with Lise T. I love bum bags.

When walking I keep my bum bag in my backpack, but all other times I wear it round the waist, comfortably and with plenty of space for valuables. It goes everywhere with ease, the shower, the depths of the sleeping bag at night and it is so easy to open and close whilst wearing. Brilliant invention.

On a busy Italian street, I watched a pickpocket slit open a backpack (rucksack) and remove a fannie pack (bumbag) with passport and cash while the owner just kept on walking.
We had to scream and run to tell her what had just happened.
She had no idea and felt nothing.

Bum bags are great for holding today's money.
All other cash, credit cards, passport should be in a secure bag either around the waist or neck.
Personally I prefer the waist bag.
Yes, it's a bit getting used to, but unless your neck bag has wire running through the cord, it's easily slit off and stolen.

It is NOT safe to leave valuables in your pack overnight.
And many valuables have been stolen from under pillows.

I put mine in the footbox of my sleeping bag, but there have even been thefts from those.
It's important to not flash your valuables or let people see where they are kept.

Lastly, if you keep ALL your money, credit cards, passports in a bumbag and it gets stolen off you or pickpocketed, that's it.
The end.
Not a good idea, in my opinion.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Cash in a plastic pouch in a secure pocket in my cut-offs. Transferred to my evening cut-offs when in the shower. Ditto with smartphone. Passport, credential and credit card in plastic in a pouch under my shirt and over one shoulder, and which sits to one side just below my pack’s waist belt when fastened, so still easy to get at when checking in anywhere. I put the pouch and smart phone inside my cut-offs at night, which becomes my pillow, with my microfibre towel laid across. Small amount of daily cash is kept in another, easily accessible pocket.
First of all, when I think of 'cut offs', I think of jeans that I have cut off to rather short shorts. Doubt that is the case here but I'm a child of the 60's . Secondly, everything after that is confusing. I need GPS to figure out what you are saying. And I did not inhale.

I also used the "neck pouch".....actually a wallet made of a nylon canvas-type fabric which hangs around one's neck inside your shirt (for security) or can be worn around the neck and over one shoulder (as you have described). That is where I kept my passport, ATM card and general cash. Around my waist I had an elastic belt that held a nylon pouch in which I carried copies of important papers, a Visa card and about $500 in cash; all of these were in a plastic zip-lock bag to keep them free of moisture. This was in case my "neck pouch" was stolen or lost. When in bed, I had both of these on my body or inside the bag. In the shower they were kept in a larger zip-lock bag. Being kind of paranoid, these precautions gave me a sense of security and I never had a problem.

You bring up a good point- the shower. I would venture a guess that I'm on the opposite end of the worry spectrum (as I mentioned earlier, I just jammed my stuff into my pockets) but even I had a bag that I put all my valuables into when I was in the shower.

Mine doubled as my sleeping bag's stuff sack. I would make my bed, transfer my valuables to the bag, and take it along with my shower stuff when I went to get cleaned up. Worked pretty well, but since it was only water resistant, not water proof, I would cover it with a plastic bag if there was no hook at the back of the stall. If I were to do it over I would have used a water proof bag just to save some fumbling, but I still would want it to hold my sleeping bag. I think that was a pretty good system.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks to Anniesantiago for mentioning how easily thieves can slit bags open. Especially during times when it is acceptable to be packed together (like loading or exiting trains, buses, etc.) My only thing to add (which I don't think's been mentioned) is sewing a second pocket inside and behind your pants pocket. Easy to do and where I keep my passport and extra money. I also plan to have another pocket sewn inside my hat as another stash place for overnight (a tip from Anniesantiago's website!) Finally, I have a money belt that is made from the same material as a backpack strap and very inconspicuous. On YouTube, I saw a video suggesting emptying a chapstick tube as a good hiding place for cash. I may sound a bit over the top, but I've lived in and traveled Europe and, although most people are good, it only takes one to wreck things.

I have to give a shout-out to Anniesantiago's website. As a new pilgrim, it has been invaluable to me in so many areas, but especially in avoiding scams and pickpockets! Well researched and written from a true Camino veteran!

is it safe to bring all our money for all the trip, and hide it in different places in the back bag and on us?

It MIGHT BE safe for you but most veteran pilgrims would suggest you do NOT do this. Many of us carry a sum of cash for a few days of use plus a hidden stash of emergency funds. We obtain further cash when needed at an ATM using either a credit card or a debit card. NEVER tell anyone how much cash you are carrying or where it is.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Last edited:

€60,-
I can't stand money belts and bum bags because they sit where my waist belt for the backpack sits, so I use a small (the size of a passport and credencial) cross body bag with several zipped compartments. Link to it here. I keep my papers, wallet/purse, mobile phone and chapstick in it, no room for anything else. I always - always! - keep it across my body, under the backpack, so even if I take my pack off to go inside to order a drink, my valuables bag is still with me. I take it into the shower, I put it around the waist and tighten the strap when I go to sleep, so the bag again comes with me if I have to get up in the night - no valuables in or under the pillow. It is quite flat, so if I want go out somewhere, a fleece or jacket can go over the bag and zip it in, out of sight. When I walk the waist belt from the pack goes over the straps for the cross body bag, so even if someone slit the strap they would still have to pull it through the belt. I only keep a few days' worth of money in my wallet/purse, the ATM cash goes in the secure pocket in the back of the little bag. Works for me. I also make a point of wearing clothes that don't look too outdoorsy/touristy, that can blend in to a certain extent, and this casual bag I could wear around the streets of Liverpool of a Saturday night. Not looking like a target always helps ...

If you're made to remove your belt then you're being robbed, not pick-pocketed. Statistically, people are by far more likely to pick-pocketed than robbed anywhere in the world.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We took none of the above. We didn't carry more than a day or twos cash at a time, we made sure we had two separate credit cards, one in our wallet and one in our pack (in case either got stolen), and we kept passports in a safe, secure spot in the center of our packs......and if we left our packs unattended, we moved our passports to our pockets if we felt unsafe (though usually we just left them in the backpack.

For men, this should be very easy. Most of your hiking pants and shorts are cargo style with nice big pockets with zippers, velcro, and/or buttons. My husband just carried his valuables in his pockets. Since he doesn't make a habit of wandering around without pants on, he's always got his valuables with him. At night, he rolls up the pants/shorts for the next day and puts them in his sleeping bag. Very easy.

Since my hiking pants aren't as generous with pockets, I have a small cross-body bag that rides in my pack when I am walking and that I carry cross-body when not walking. Also, very easy.

For men, this should be very easy. Most of your hiking pants and shorts are cargo style with nice big pockets with zippers, velcro, and/or buttons. My husband just carried his valuables in his pockets. Since he doesn't make a habit of wandering around without pants on, he's always got his valuables with him. At night, he rolls up the pants/shorts for the next day and puts them in his sleeping bag. Very easy.

Since my hiking pants aren't as generous with pockets, I have a small cross-body bag that rides in my pack when I am walking and that I carry cross-body when not walking. Also, very easy.
What size is the cross-body bag, november_moon? I'd like to find one large enough for the Pilgrim passport, my iPhone, my passport, and a small money bag, but not a lot more.

€60,-

The more things you take, the more you can lose or forget.

My pants have two zip pockets and another zip pocket inside of one of them. Enough for me. Phone, money and documents in my pants, the rest in the rucksack.

Hi Singing heart

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I dont know the brand.it has a unfamiliar logo on it
.....but the thing I liked in my one was the shape.
It was circular.....and sat flat against me. I found some I tested stuck out too much.

In one of the pics attached (outside the Burgos Cathedral). I have it across my shoulder.
I like that it rested easily across.

The other bonus....was it hid my tummy for photos☺

That's Arc'teryx. A premium brand of outdoor gear.

Securitypocket with zip sewed inside your trousers is better than a money belt to keep exstra creditcard, money and passport. By the way, when i was pick-pocketed on the way home from one of my caminoes, it was from a zipped pocket, so a zip does not stop anybody.

Some really interesting comments here and a lot for me to ponder over.

On my rucksack (Lowe Alpine) I have two pouches on the waist strap, one each side. Lathes these are not a great size they will certainly have a use, for example one will take the iPhone and any cash I need for the day.
As my walking pants have zips on all there pockets I could easily put my cards and share cash in one and passport in the other.
None of this addresses the problem of keeping everything with me when the rucksack is not in use, like showering etc.
I've really got to have a rethink on what's going to work for me. I really value all the comments that I've received, as always not everything works for everyone.
I love the zipped pockets in my hiking pants and keep my passport and credit cards in a plastic bag in the large leg pockets so they stay dry. No bum bag or other stuff to wear or forget. Keep daily money in my other pockets. Regarding the shower, I wear my pants into the shower stall and hang them up on the hook or put them in my plastic shower bag (old very lightweight drawstring plastic bag from a clothing store - holds soap/shampoo/towel/clothes (easy to carry into shower). It also allows me to keep my iPhone and camera with me at all times. I switch the passport over into my clean pants as I get dressed. This way nothing of value is ever left alone in the albergue. I have also used one of those recyclable grocery store bags instead of the plastic drawstring bag - they are like fabric but very light weight. Both take no room or extra weight in your pack and give you a way to "corral" all of your stuff together when in the albergue, can be used for daily shopping at the tienda, and I often carry at night with my journal and other stuff to the bars. Works well for me. Alternatively, there are now some extremely light weight day packs at the sports stores (super thin sturdy nylon material) that could be used for the same purpose.

I use something very similar from REI; I think this is it: http://www.rei.com/product/872307/rei-rfid-deluxe-security-neck-wallet

Since you keep it next to your chest in hot weather BE SURE to put your cash and passport in plastic bags. €300 I didn't protect got really, really sodden.

I wear it at stomach level so it's over the hip belt and under the sternum strap. Works fine but, depending on how much cash I'm carrying, photos of me show what looks like a large gut.

Karl

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You're welcome, Lise. I like Arc'teryx gear for its quality. I have their packable GoreTex rain jacket, jumper and very comfortable water repellent trekking pants.
The waist bag you have is excellent.

What size is the cross-body bag, november_moon? I'd like to find one large enough for the Pilgrim passport, my iPhone, my passport, and a small money bag, but not a lot more.

My cross-body bag is about 6"x8" approximately - this is the size of bag I generally take when I travel. I carry my wallet, passport, my phone, maybe a map. It is small enough that I don't have to take it off when I sit down at a cafe or anything. It worked out great on the Camino too. When I was walking, I put it in my pack. The rest of the time, I just carried it with me. At night, I put it in my sleep sack.

One nice thing about a bum bag is that it always had my camera at the ready. I either wore it around my waist, letting the pouch rest on the pack belt, or slung it cross-body (over one shoulder). Definitely not a fashion-statement, but who cares on the camino. It held all my valuables, phone, and a snack and was always conveniently in reach. I could drop my pack and walk away without having to remember "where are my valuables?" and no transferring was needed from pocket to pouch and back again when having a shower. Everyone has their own way of doing things, some of our ways are even the same!

As for those who say a bum bag interferes with the waist belt of their pack - well, unless you have a very small pack you're probably either wearing your pack wrong or have the wrong size pack. Most packs have "hip" belts, not "waist" bests, and they should be worn around the top of your iliac crest (hip bones), not resting on top of the hip bones (rub city!), and not around your waist. Your hips are very very strong and this is where the majority of the weight of your pack should be carried. Shoulder straps carry ~10% and are more for balancing the load against your back. It's worthwhile to pop down to your local backpacking store with all your gear in your pack to have someone who knows what they're doing expertly "fit" you and adjust your straps for you. It's amazing how much better a properly fitted pack feels!

Thank you so much Angelo!!!!
I have never heard of them before.....but the quality is very impressive.

I found a link with the bag I took. As you can see its circular at the back which allows it to sit flat. Inside there are some zip compartments...including a long flat one which is perfect for your passports.

http://arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&model=Maka-2
Lise T Do you have this one or the smaller Maka 1?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
One nice thing about a bum bag is that it always had my camera at the ready. I either wore it around my waist, letting the pouch rest on the pack belt, or slung it cross-body (over one shoulder). Definitely not a fashion-statement, but who cares on the camino. It held all my valuables, phone, and a snack and was always conveniently in reach. I could drop my pack and walk away without having to remember "where are my valuables?" and no transferring was needed from pocket to pouch and back again when having a shower. Everyone has their own way of doing things, some of our ways are even the same!

As for those who say a bum bag interferes with the waist belt of their pack - well, unless you have a very small pack you're probably either wearing your pack wrong or have the wrong size pack. Most packs have "hip" belts, not "waist" bests, and they should be worn around the top of your iliac crest (hip bones), not resting on top of the hip bones (rub city!), and not around your waist. Your hips are very very strong and this is where the majority of the weight of your pack should be carried. Shoulder straps carry ~10% and are more for balancing the load against your back. It's worthwhile to pop down to your local backpacking store with all your gear in your pack to have someone who knows what they're doing expertly "fit" you and adjust your straps for you. It's amazing how much better a properly fitted pack feels!
What bum bag did you have?

I have yet to walk the camino, but I have used waist and neck pouches on other trips to Europe. The security of money, passport, credit cards, etc. is an issue, and one I have yet to solve. I didn't really like the waist belt (it felt cumbersome) so I went with the neck pouch, which protruded through my clothes and destroyed any sense of fashion. But I guess fashion isn't a focal point on the camino. It did rub and was sort of hot. Then I heard about a traveler who wore the waist belt and didn't realize it had come undone, slipped down one pant leg, and she found herself dragging it on the ground around one of her feet! For me, the bum bag might be the route to go. I have also considered making a pouch of sorts that I can attach to the bottom of my bra, resting around my midriff. Mark lee has a good suggestion of using the neck pouch through belt loops. One of my problems is that I must wear a dental splint at night due to a jaw problem. It comes in its own hard plastic case. I am as protective of this splint as I am of my money etc. It costs about the price of a full fare flight to Europe. I don't know where to keep it -- maybe a bum belt.
For another trip I made a small pouch with a simple snap closure and a ribbon strap just long enough to make a slip-around loop at the center of my bra in front. It rested comfortably against my abdomen, barely visible with loose tops, was more-or-less handy, and felt very secure. It was perfect. For this trip, there seems to be more to have secure, and I will be sweating a lot, so I'm not sure that's the best solution.

€83,-
Cher....i like the hat in your photo. It looks like it has a wide brim at the back.
Can you recall where you got it from?
It came from REI and it is a "Sunday Afternoon" brand. The wide brim in the back is floppy and protects the neck without interfering with the backpack.

What wonderful ideas. I can tell people have thought about this as much as I have!
I have neck problems so I cant carry it hung around my neck but can tolerate a cross shoulder carrier. My history with money belts has been frustrating and when in town don't want to wear a fanny pack to go shopping or to dinner. I want to have easy access to some essentials and don't want to fumble under my shirt for them. So...
I had already removed the small and inaccessible zip pockets on my packs hip belt. I took an REI REIF safe waist belt and made it into a cross shoulder bag that has a small area to hold a phone,journal, and sunglasses. On the back of the bag I sewed several flat loops, so that while I walk during the day I can tuck the shoulder strap into the bag and slide it onto my packs waist belt through the loops to create a fanny pack. It's easy to slide on and off when I take off the pack. I'm still refining the design so I'll let you know how it goes.

Hi everyone! This is JudyInTexas with my first post. I've been lerking for a few weeks and I finally think I have something to offer.

I found a product called Hip Klip at a local street fair and I've found it very useful. http://hipklips.com/home/

It can be clipped to the waist band of pants and worn both inside next to your undies or on the outside. It can also be clipped inside a pack to keep it safe. It will hold an iPhone, passport, money, comb, lip balm, etc.

Thanks for all the great information!

You are most welcome. ....let me know what you think. ☺
Lisa, my Maka 1 arrived today late, and I LOVE it!!! It's definitely a keeper. Thank you so much! What fun it is when you find something that is "just right" for you! I've been rooting around for the "perfect" bum bag or cross-body bag or waist pack for ages, something to use to carry the things I'll need throughout a day, and this fits the bill for me. I love its small size, just enough room for what I'll need, its weight, its unique shape. I do believe that these choices are very, very individual, that what suits one won't suit another, but this one is right for me. Thanks!!!

Totally agree on the bumbag solution, specifically the expensive but very secure PacSafe that wanders around my waist according to the loading. When fully loaded with backpack, it balances my old outgrowth and provides a convenient working space for those things I need while walking:
Wallet(remember, this is a PacSafe with excellent security features)
Pilgrim's passport ( in a small plastic bag)
Normal passport in RFID safe pocket
Swiss Army knife on short lanyard with quick release
Notepad and pen
Backup battery for smartphone with a short and long USB cable
Reading glasses
Calling cards for people I take photos of
Paper guide by Brierley(don't leave home without it!)
In convenient backpack pockets:
Antiseptic tissues for hands because I pick up rubbish along the way(including pilgrims' thoughlessly discarded tissues)
Munchies

Morning all

I put wallet and documents in my backpack when I was carrying it. Any time the backpack was on the ground and not under my direct watch the wallet and documents were taken out and carried on my person. Its just a habit you have to get into. You can do the same with a money belt.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back