• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving Saturday 5/30/15

Josie86

Time of past OR future Camino
(2015)
So here I am in the final stretch of waiting to take off and begin this incredible journey! I didn't train nearly enough.... In fact, I barely trained at all. Although, the training I did do, I did in the mountains. The San Gabriels in SoCal. I'm hoping that it'll be enough and that listening to my body will get me to Santiago.

Now what I'm really worried about.... I am having a lot of anxiety about the flight to Paris - especially with everything in the news nowadays. So please fellow pilgrims, prayer request for safe flights for myself and everyone else traveling soon and that I am able to just sleep the whole way! Wouldn't that be nice! Since I'm flying an overnight direct flight, I do plan on taking Tylenol pm an hour before I board the plane! Hahaha o_O

I do have a week after I plan on finishing my Camino (I want to get there in 33 days but have a total of 39 days) for exploring and I would like a flat iron and makeup for this week. Is there a way to send the things I would need for this week ahead to Santiago to wait for me? Thank you in advance to any help and prayers/well wishes.

I've probably over packed, I know I didn't train enough, I'm scared of flying, and of being alone... but I AM GOING! I guess I will figure it out as I go haha.

Buen Camino!

-Jo

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I do have a week after I plan on finishing my Camino (I want to get there in 33 days but have a total of 39 days) for exploring and I would like a flat iron and makeup for this week. Is there a way to send the things I would need for this week ahead to Santiago to wait for me?

See the tab at the top of the page: 'Services in Santiago by Ivar'.

!Buen Camino!

So here I am in the final stretch of waiting to take off and begin this incredible journey! I didn't train nearly enough.... In fact, I barely trained at all. Although, the training I did do, I did in the mountains. The San Gabriels in SoCal. I'm hoping that it'll be enough and that listening to my body will get me to Santiago.

Now what I'm really worried about.... I am having a lot of anxiety about the flight to Paris - especially with everything in the news nowadays. So please fellow pilgrims, prayer request for safe flights for myself and everyone else traveling soon and that I am able to just sleep the whole way! Wouldn't that be nice! Since I'm flying an overnight direct flight, I do plan on taking Tylenol pm an hour before I board the plane! Hahaha o_O

I do have a week after I plan on finishing my Camino (I want to get there in 33 days but have a total of 39 days) for exploring and I would like a flat iron and makeup for this week. Is there a way to send the things I would need for this week ahead to Santiago to wait for me? Thank you in advance to any help and prayers/well wishes.

I've probably over packed, I know I didn't train enough, I'm scared of flying, and of being alone... but I AM GOING! I guess I will figure it out as I go haha.

Buen Camino!

-Jo

You could just buy those things in Santiago for what you'd pay to ship them ahead and store them.
Santiago has GREAT shopping, especially once you get out of the old city and into the new - a short walk.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Buen Camino!

-Jo
a glass or two of wine works better for me (plus ignoring sensationalist mews headlines)
&
you might want to consider investing in one on arrival in santiago, probably as cheap as shipping

BUEN CAMINO

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Buen Camino!

-Jo
We all have last minute jitters. I leave tomorrow for Oloron-Sainte-Marie and feel exactly the same beginning another Camino.

We all have last minute jitters. I leave tomorrow for Oloron-Sainte-Marie and feel exactly the same beginning another Camino.
All the best for another great camino Don! Be sure to explore the incredible estacion at Canfranc.
Take care, Carpe diem and as always Ultreia!

MM

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As someone that used to fly overseas frequently for my job, don't sweat the flight to Paris. Flying is still the safest form of travel.
As far as training to walk the Camino. Don't sweat that either. Just know your limitations and don't push yourself too hard. Your body will condition itself after a week or so.
Walking the Camino is really easy and once you start doing it you will see what I am talking about.
cheers

Buen Camino!

-Jo
Y

Buen Camino!

-Jo

Hi Jo,
I know exactly how you feel. My husband and I are leaving 2moro morning from CA. We are planning to start from SJPDP on Sat 5/30/15. Have been training but 2 days ago my ankle started to bother. Hoping taking a few days off will help. Maybe we will meet in St Jean.

Buen Camino

All the best for another great camino Don! Be sure to explore the incredible estacion at Canfranc.
Take care, Carpe diem and as always Ultreia!

MM
Thank you. The station is on my list as well as many of the monasteries on my way to Eunate! Then perhaps a wine tour is in order around the Rioja Valley as well before I head back home.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Buen Camino! The fitness will come - enjoy feeling it happen. Don't be afraid to let your Camino eat into the spare time at the end. It's a great luxury and freedom to have!

Buen Camino!

-Jo

Y

Hi Jo,
I know exactly how you feel. My husband and I are leaving 2moro morning from CA. We are planning to start from SJPDP on Sat 5/30/15. Have been training but 2 days ago my ankle started to bother. Hoping taking a few days off will help. Maybe we will meet in St Jean.

Buen Camino

Best to both you and your husband! May you guys travel safely and may your trip be filled with wonderful experiences. Safe, enjoyable flights to you guys! Perhaps we will meet! I'll be starting two days behind you but maybe I'll catch up! I'm not a fast hiker/walker but I'm like the proverbial turtle.... slow and steady gets me the whole distance! Hahaha. I'll be the little one with the distinguishable voice and laugh! :D

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As someone that used to fly overseas frequently for my job, don't sweat the flight to Paris. Flying is still the safest form of travel.
As far as training to walk the Camino. Don't sweat that either. Just know your limitations and don't push yourself too hard. Your body will condition itself after a week or so.
Walking the Camino is really easy and once you start doing it you will see what I am talking about.
cheers

Thank you for your words of confidence. I'm hoping two Tylenol PM will have me sleeping nearly the whole way and also lessen the jet lag. I'm a little concerned about the trek to Roncesvalles. I know there are other places nearly or as steep but I'll be conditioned by then. Oh well! I'll get an early start in SJPP haha.

Buen Camino! The fitness will come - enjoy feeling it happen. Don't be afraid to let your Camino eat into the spare time at the end. It's a great luxury and freedom to have!

I figured! If I feel that I need a good hot bath and rest day, I'll go ahead and take it.

a glass or two of wine works better for me (plus ignoring sensationalist mews headlines)
&
you might want to consider investing in one on arrival in santiago, probably as cheap as shipping

BUEN CAMINO

Do you happen to know what the price of shipping a small package is in Spain? I know Ivar's storing prices, I'm just having toruble finding shipping rates for Spain. Thanks either way! :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you for your words of confidence. I'm hoping two Tylenol PM will have me sleeping nearly the whole way and also lessen the jet lag. I'm a little concerned about the trek to Roncesvalles. I know there are other places nearly or as steep but I'll be conditioned by then. Oh well! I'll get an early start in SJPP haha.

Hi Josie86,
It's a wonderful time of year to be starting the trek. I envy you starting your first Camino - be careful, it might not be your last! Just to follow up on your last comment (above). YES, get an early start! I really think it is key to not rusg that first day. Firstly, because it is just so stunningly beautiful, but also (more importantly?), because you don't want to hurt or damage yourself on the first day. So, take it easy, very easy. Stop whenever you can, and whenever you want to. Take your boots off and massage your feet. Drink lots of water. Stop and smell the flowers... and take pictures!

If you can, be on the road at 6am. Seriously.

Don't forget to put vaseline on your heels...

The Camino really does tend to provide you with what you need, so... don't carry too much!

Have fun. Buen Camino!

Not long ago somebody posted somewhere on this forum a time lapse video of the walk to Roncesvalles. It's a good video to watch and shows it's not that bad.
Don't forget to get some snacks in SJPdP to grub on that first day.
cheers

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Buen Camino!

-Jo
Hi Jo. You will do fine, start slow and in the coming day's you get stronger. Enjoy the scenery it would be great. And as stated already you can by everything along the Camino. When you think I will not use some things from your backpack leave them. Go with the flow and enjoy yourself. Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back