• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting a new Altus poncho thread

peregrina2000

Staff member
Having just discovered the fatal flaw to my Ferrino trekker poncho (its inside reflective lining makes me sweat almost instantaneously since I walk in spring-summer -- thanks to SYates!), I realize I need to get an Altus quickly. Looking at products, though, I think I see there are several options.

Altus atmospheric light has greater rain resistance (2000 m water column as opposed to 1000 m -- though I'm not sure what that means, I take it that resisting more water is better than resisting less water)

So these are the products?
Regular -- http://www.barrabes.com/altus-poncho-atmospheric/p-20884
Light -- http://int.barrabes.com/altus-poncho-atmospheric-light/p-36253

Unfortunately the Barrabés store appears to be out of stock in all of them, so I´ll have to hunt around some more.

I see that Caminoteca offers the atmospheric S3 -- what is that? A third choice?
http://caminoteca.com/en/products/2-ponchos-raincoats/altus-poncho-atmospheric-s3-blue

I know this is one of those topics we regularly beat to death, and I do always try to research before posting, but the product differentiation is confusing and I think some of these may be new. Thanks for the help, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
... (2000 m water column as opposed to 1000 m -- though I'm not sure what that means, I take it that resisting more water is better than resisting less water) ...

I can at least clear up that mystery ;-) 1000 mm water column means basically the water pressure the fabric can resist before becoming permeable. It is more important when it comes to tents as there the water can accumulate easier when it rains. As you are moving with a poncho, the water will fall off quickly. So yes, more is better, but I wouldn't get to 'hung up' on that figure.

Happy shopping! SY

I agree with SYates that the HH value is more important in tents than a poncho, but all other things being equal I would pick the higher one (just me). I think the regular one, the first of your links, is the 'old' classic model, the lightweight one is the same but half the weight and the S3 is the new batch of classic style Altuses in red and blue. The S2 was the shorter, green or orange ones that people weren't too impressed with - correct me if I am wrong.

I have two of the 'old' model, one in polyamide an one in polyester, same weight and as far as I can tell same performance. I also invested in the Light version and it really is light and does the job very well. I haven't seen a S3 in real life and the info about weight varies in different places - according to www.altus.es it is 400 g, quite a bit heavier than the Light version.

Also have you tried Ferrovicmar? It seems they have a few of the brightly coloured ones on sale and S3s at a good price (and the plain, flimsy ones you don't want): just search for 'poncho' on www.ferrovicmar.com!

(Edited to add info)

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I agree with SYates that the HH value is more important in tents than a poncho, but all other things being equal I would pick the higher one (just me). I think the regular one, the first of your links, is the 'old' classic model, the lightweight one is the same but half the weight and the S3 is the new batch of classic style Altuses in red and blue. The S2 was the shorter, green or orange ones that people weren't too impressed with - correct me if I am wrong.

I have two of the 'old' model, one in polyamide an one in polyester, same weight and as far as I can tell same performance. I also invested in the Light version and it really is light and does the job very well. I haven't seen a S3 in real life and the info about weight varies in different places - according to www.altus.es it is 400 g, quite a bit heavier than the Light version.

Also have you tried Ferrovicmar? It seems they have a few of the brightly coloured ones on sale and S3s at a good price (and the plain, flimsy ones you don't want): just search for 'poncho' on www.ferrovicmar.com!

(Edited to add info)

Thanks so much, nidarosa. I have looked at vicmar's website, and it looks to me that the light version they have is the short one. http://www.ferrovicmar.com/herramie...r&utm_medium=doofinder&utm_campaign=doofinder

Do you have the longer one or this shorter one? Thanks so much, Laurie

@peregrina2000 The Light version I bought at the Peregrinoteca in Sarria is a black one, not this (Series 2?) shorter and neon coloured (orange or lime) one which no one seems to like. I am 1.78 tall and bought the S/M one and it still comes to below my knees so I get less rain on my trousers and shoes. It also weighs about 250g, while this says it weighs 400g. The S3, however, weighs 300g and comes in blue and red - but I am pretty sure that the smaller pic in this listing is in fact an orange S2 model as it is very short, see here: http://www.ferrovicmar.com/herramientas-electricas.asp?producto=poncho-atmospherics3

I would buy the lighter S3 one if I needed one more. The Light one I bought seems to be discontinued and this S3 is the closest to the original well loved model with lots of room for a pack and airflow and elastic on the sleeves.

@peregrina2000 The Light version I bought at the Peregrinoteca in Sarria is a black one, not this (Series 2?) shorter and neon coloured (orange or lime) one which no one seems to like. I am 1.78 tall and bought the S/M one and it still comes to below my knees so I get less rain on my trousers and shoes. It also weighs about 250g, while this says it weighs 400g. The S3, however, weighs 300g and comes in blue and red - but I am pretty sure that the smaller pic in this listing is in fact an orange S2 model as it is very short, see here: http://www.ferrovicmar.com/herramientas-electricas.asp?producto=poncho-atmospherics3

I would buy the lighter S3 one if I needed one more. The Light one I bought seems to be discontinued and this S3 is the closest to the original well loved model with lots of room for a pack and airflow and elastic on the sleeves.

Thanks nidarosa,

I remember that everyone says that these ponchos are enormously baggy. Yet online, I read that the small size is recommended for children only. I am 5' 7" and wonder which size I should order. Any help from the Altus owners? Thanks, Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
They are baggy, they have to be to keep the air circulating and allow for huge packs. On the ferrovicmar.com website there are measurements for the arms etc for the different sizes though:
Talla S: Largo desde la parte superior de la cremallera (barbilla) hasta el bajo: 81 cm. Mangas: 57.5 cm.
Talla M-L: Largo desde la parte superior de la cremallera (barbilla) hasta el bajo: 90 cm. Mangas: 63.5 cm.
Talla XL-XXL: Largo desde la parte superior de la cremallera (barbilla) hasta el bajo: 99 cm. Mangas: 68 cm. Para usuarios de más de 170 cm.

I probably bought a S2 in Santiago after my camino last autumn but have never tried it. Just packed it for my camino in a few days so I hope it is OK. I have used the old heavy red one for some years and was tempted by the lighter one. Since I bring raintrousers and jacket too it does not have to be as long as the red.
By the way I think that the longer it is the more rain comes into your shoes because it gets near your legs when walking.
One reason for buying a new one was that I felt that the cows/ bulls was very interested in the red one! Scared me a bit.
Large is big to me, I'm 170cm. Think my new one is M.

Looks like the company Altus itself only has one type presently: The atmospheric S3
http://www.altus.es/PONCHO_ATMOSPHERIC_S3_71503A2_var.aspx

In march I posted a reply in a raingear topic:
upload_2015-3-17_16-28-39-png.17086

I made this picture to show some differences...
(Sea to summit, Vaude, Wafo, Altus)
Sea to summit: arms are very short, they'll get wet, sides are open, american hood so usually wide. (particularly this one is lightweight)
Vaude and Wafo: alternatives for the always mentioned Ferrino and Altus, sleeves are wide and long enough to cover arms, less condensation inthere. Sides closed.
Altus: long zipper in front, 'real' sleeves, more condensation in sleeves. (the shown poncho is the lighweight) Ferrino has likewise models.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@randithr : If it is the orange or lime green version I haven't tried or even heard much about it myself, other than it is shorter and lighter. If you have the black or blue lightweight one it is probably the same as mine and that works great! I am 1.78 and bought the S/M size, it is plenty big enough. If you are worried, put it on and go for a test in the shower! :D

I have the S3, Medium. It's very baggy, and comes to a bit below the knee (I'm 5'6"). The sleeves are long enough, and roomy--with elastic at the wrist, very much appreciated.

Thanks nidarosa,

I remember that everyone says that these ponchos are enormously baggy. Yet online, I read that the small size is recommended for children only. I am 5' 7" and wonder which size I should order. Any help from the Altus owners? Thanks, Laurie
Hi Laurie

I ordered my Altus 4 years ago from Sarria (it arrived in Australia within a week!) - I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the shop. I think I am a similar size to you and I have a Small.
It says 'Rainseries' on it. I think it is meant to be one of the "new" ones. Last year in March on the Frances it did a wonderful job - kept me warm and dry from the rain and snow!

buen camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Does anyone know the length measurement on the Vaude or the Altus? This thread has re-piqued my interest. I was going to switch to one of these ponchos but gave up trying to figure out the measurements. The Sea to Summit is 57 inches long which his me just above the ankle -- so aside from having sort arms, its not workable. The rest look to be just as long..... I am 5 feet 2 inches tall (1.57 meters). I don't want to be walking with the bottom around my ankles! Liz

I really wish Altus would make one of these in a breathable fabric. It is near impossible not to get damp a little from sweat in these, even with the vents. I found I would remove my arms from the sleeves and walk with them on the body of the jacket because they would start to get so clammy. They make breathable materials now that are light and not GoreTex quality.
I would pay the extra to have one of those.
Rambler

I really wish Altus would make one of these in a breathable fabric. It is near impossible not to get damp a little from sweat in these, even with the vents. I found I would remove my arms from the sleeves and walk with them on the body of the jacket because they would start to get so clammy. They make breathable materials now that are light and not GoreTex quality.
I would pay the extra to have one of those.
Rambler

Hi, Rambler, I totally agree. But I am crossing my fingers that the Altus will be less sweat-inducing than the Ferrino. That shiny metallic inside fabric guaranteed that I started to sweat as soon as I put it on, much worse than any cheap plastic poncho I had used prior to my "step up" to the Ferrino.

Does anyone know the length measurement on the Vaude or the Altus? This thread has re-piqued my interest. I was going to switch to one of these ponchos but gave up trying to figure out the measurements. The Sea to Summit is 57 inches long which his me just above the ankle -- so aside from having sort arms, its not workable. The rest look to be just as long..... I am 5 feet 2 inches tall (1.57 meters). I don't want to be walking with the bottom around my ankles! Liz

Liz, One of nidarosa's posts in this thread lists the lengths from the top of the zipper to bottom of the poncho. Small is 81 cm (with sleeve length at 57.5 cm) Medium is 90 cm with 63.5 cm sleeves. If my translation from meters to inches is correct, it seems that the small Altus is much shorter than the Sea to Summit.

I'm going to order from the ferretaria Vicmar that nidarosa posted about. They will send it to my friends' house in Barcelona, where I can pick it up in a few weeks!!! Buen camino, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Update -- hopefully I have purchased my Altus from Vicmar, it seemed very easy. I ordered it from Portugal, with my billing information from the US, to be sent to Spain. Fingers crossed that it worked. I had written Vicmar directly yesterday to ask about the transaction and whether it would cause any problems, and they responded promptlying the online site should work fine.

There was a little problem getting in my billing information for the US without triggering US shipping fees, but I figured it out, so if anyone else wants to try this, let me know if you need help. Buen camino and thanks for all the help. Laurie

Tell us which one you went for Laurie and be sure to post a review!

GRRRR... Just got an email from Vicmar saying they are out of medium till July. I am going to try to find one somewhere else, I may also do the measurements to see if the small would work. Nidarosa, how did you find that place? I'm asking because I'm having trouble searching around on the internet for a place in Spain. Thanks, Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Laurie, if you have time in Spain for shopping what about hitting a Decathlon there? SY

@peregrina2000 I think I found it through this forum or searching online for an Altus many many years ago. But if this is the new staple version surely they will have it in the shops over there? Where do you start or where could you pick one up? You might be able to ring and reserve one. I know the shops in SJPdP carry Altus ponchos, as do Base in Burgos, the Caminoteca and the Peregrinoteca or as SYates just said, at a Decathlon (though they might be further out of town?). Best of luck!

Laurie, if you have time in Spain for shopping what about hitting a Decathlon there? SY
@peregrina2000 I think I found it through this forum or searching online for an Altus many many years ago. But if this is the new staple version surely they will have it in the shops over there? Where do you start or where could you pick one up? You might be able to ring and reserve one. I know the shops in SJPdP carry Altus ponchos, as do Base in Burgos, the Caminoteca and the Peregrinoteca or as SYates just said, at a Decathlon (though they might be further out of town?). Best of luck!

Thanks, guys, but Decathlon (at least on the internet) doesn't carry Altus. And I think Caminoteca and Peregrinoteca are also out of M. I haven't checked Base in Burgos but will do that next. I have written to all the sports stores in Barcelona that I can find (I will be arriving there), so maybe I'll be lucky and find something. The search for the Altus continues..... Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Don't get hung up too much on an Altus, you are going May/June, correct? A cheap and cheerful Decathlon poncho should do the trick then. I had an older model of theirs previously and was perfectly happy with it for years until it died of old age and overwork last year ;-) SY

Hi... I got a lightweight rather ugly khaki colored Altus for around half the price of those with better colors or newer models. Don't hestitate to buy an older model . They work great. Try on first if you can, with your backpack on, for sizing. I would just buy one from a store in France or Spain. Hope this helps

€149,-
I have one of the 10+ year old red Altuses and it has seen lots of rain but never bled. Give it a rinse before you go?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Laurie, I am glad your crisis was averted. And thanks for pointing out the earlier post! Not sure how I missed it. So I went ahead and took the plunge. I was able to order a small (that was the only size they had) from a spanish site -- La Gruta. The small Altus Atmospheric S3 was 50 euro. There was a service charge of 7.70 euro and they shipped to the US for 15 euro. I was able to use paypal. So I'll be waiting anxiously for my poncho! Liz

Last edited:
Liz,

My small Altus is really quite generous!

The best thing about having a poncho in your backpack is not having to use it!

buen camino

Update on ordering my Altus from La Gruta: I just got a nice email saying that my Paypal payment cleared, but that my web order was blank (actually the email was in English and said the order was "white," blank was my re-translation) and asking me to confirm what I ordered. So I just did so in English and Spanish. I have waited down to the wire to order as we are leaving home on June 5, so I hope I gave them the info they needed and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the package arrives on time! Liz

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
OK -- another update. Hoping this is useful for those of you in the US who might try to order from La Gruta. They seem really great. After several emails using pigeon Spanish and google translate, I think they are shipping me a green Altus Atmospheric in size S/M. I'm confused and trusting in the fates, because their website showed the Altus in only red and Blue and had the sizing as s m/L and XL. The big thing is that they have really been on the spot trying to communicate with me. Liz

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We bought the Altus on the recommendation of the forum. Have also done sections of the Camino with an umbrella and a back-up poncho from Stephenson's Warmlite (http://warmlite.com/poncho-rain-gear). Love the Altus but Galacia was a non-stop downpour, (often sideways) and I started to question its water repellency, since we kept getting wet inside it. Got home and tested it- no water came through, so I've decided we got wet from sweat. Didn't happen with the (Stephenson's) poncho. Of the 2, I'd go again with the poncho.

OK -- another update. Hoping this is useful for those of you in the US who might try to order from La Gruta. They seem really great. After several emails using pigeon Spanish and google translate, I think they are shipping me a green Altus Atmospheric in size S/M. I'm confused and trusting in the fates, because their website showed the Altus in only red and Blue and had the sizing as s m/L and XL. The big thing is that they have really been on the spot trying to communicate with me. Liz

Hi, Liz, Hope you get your Altus in time.

My "loaner" Altus just arrived. It's red, just says Atmospheric, and is a S/M, which is plenty long for me even though I'm taller than you at 5'7".

Since it is probably almost a decade old, I'm guessing it's the "classic" 1000 mm version. So, this is curious to me. I remember lots of comments of people saying the older one was better, but the older one has less water resistance, since the newer ones have a listing of 2000 mm. I am never going to have clarity on these Altus variations, so I'll just see how this one goes and am thankful to have it!

Please let me know if it arrives correctly, I am interested in ordering one as well.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@peregrina2000 : I think a lot of that confusion stems from a veteran member of the forum claiming that the new ones were clingy, flimsy and not waterproof compared to their previous one. Those comments were retracted (but not deleted) when they discovered they were commenting not on the new Altus Atmospheric poncho but the basic poncho, which is much cheaper and nowhere near as good. As you say the HH value or waterproofness of the new model is improved, the weight is the same or lower and a lot of the time damp inside the poncho (coat really) comes from sweat and not rain. Pulling your hands into the sleeves to allow more airflow might help, or zipping it half way up and then fastening the rest with just the velcro.

Please let me know if it arrives correctly, I am interested in ordering one as well.
Kev, I'll definitely report! Shipping was only 15 euro so I assume the poncho is coming on the slow boat. I'm guessing another 10 days.

Laurie, I am assuming the one I'm getting is that combat green that someone else mentioned and if it's too long for my stubby bod, I'll have at it with my sewing machine!

Liz

@peregrina2000 : I think a lot of that confusion stems from a veteran member of the forum claiming that the new ones were clingy, flimsy and not waterproof compared to their previous one. Those comments were retracted (but not deleted) when they discovered they were commenting not on the new Altus Atmospheric poncho but the basic poncho, which is much cheaper and nowhere near as good. As you say the HH value or waterproofness of the new model is improved, the weight is the same or lower and a lot of the time damp inside the poncho (coat really) comes from sweat and not rain. Pulling your hands into the sleeves to allow more airflow might help, or zipping it half way up and then fastening the rest with just the velcro.
Thanks, nidarosa,
I think I've got it! I am now a knowledgeable Altus consumer. So I am going to be trying out the Original atmospheric model, and will have to decide whether to buy the improved Atmomspheric light model when I'm in Spain if I can find it anywhere. Maybe Liz and I should walk together and trade off to make "real time" comparisons. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My lovely bright lime green Altus poncho arrived today! La Gruta was great. As I said earlier, their customer service was lovely and they shipped my poncho right away! I ordered the poncho on May 8 and it arrived in Idaho yesterday May 26. So it took only 18 days including the Memorial Day holiday. It fits great with plenty of room for me and my pack and is not too long -- it hits my 5 feet 2.5 inch body at the knees. Based on my experience I would recommend La Gruta for anyone in the US looking for an Altus. Given the confusion over my order I really wasn't sure what I was getting. Mine is the Altus Atmospheric RAINseries Ultra Light Weight, in a size M. Liz

Last edited:
Hi, Liz, glad it arrived in time.

I have a S-M "old style" Altus Atmospheric (red). It also comes below my knees so it's plenty long even for me at 5'7". Now my biggest hope is that it will sit at the bottom of my pack from June 4 - July 14. :)

I have just finished my short camino this year and even though the weather has been cold, It has been dry, so my new ultralight Altus bought in SdC last September has not had the chance to show what
it is good for. But anyway I am glad I did not carry my old heavy one.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would seriously consider Altus if they would make it from Event Fabric. I just sweat horribly in them. Anyone have a connection with the company? I would very much like to put the idea out there.
Keith

I have just finished my short camino this year and even though the weather has been cold, It has been dry, so my new ultralight Altus bought in SdC last September has not had the chance to show what
it is good for. But anyway I am glad I did not carry my old heavy one.
Ranthr, Is the "ultralight" Altus the same as the Atmospheric S3?

http://caminoteca.com/en/products/2-ponchos-raincoats/altus-poncho-atmospheric-s3-blue

I'm carrying a heavy old one this year, but I think I'll try to buy one of the new ones when I get to Santiago for next year. Thanks, buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Laurie, I load up a picture, don't know if it an S3 or not, only saw it was half the weight of my old thick, red, heavy one. It is easy to put on. bought it in the sportshop in Rua de Orfas just when you have crossed over from Plaza Galicia coming up Rua de Horreo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    788.6 KB · Views: 20
Laurie, I load up a picture, don't know if it an S3 or not, only saw it was half the weight of my old thick, red, heavy one. It is easy to put on. bought it in the sportshop in Rua de Orfas just when you have crossed over from Plaza Galicia coming up Rua de Horreo.
This pic is exactly like mine except mine is lime green. The labels did not say S3. Instead the tag on mine said "Altus Atmospheric RAINseries Ultra Light Weight". Liz

Don't get hung up too much on an Altus, you are going May/June, correct? A cheap and cheerful Decathlon poncho should do the trick then. I had an older model of theirs previously and was perfectly happy with it for years until it died of old age and overwork last year ;-) SY
Yep, I found the Decathlon own brand ponchos to be perfectly adequate. I chose one with sleeves and access to inside, there are two length styles also. Gaitors might be worth considering too.
Being waterproof and generating heat by walking will make most people sweat a bit, but the baggy style poncho allows some of the heat out. There'll be some condensation build up on the inside that may make clothes feel a bit damp after a while. But this also happens to some degree with expensive, so called breathable fabrics.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.