• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gadgets on the Camino

Charl

Time of past OR future Camino
Via Podiensis 2014
I started posting about this on another thread about gps apps on smartphones, but didn't want to hijack the conversation.

For those pilgrims who are techno junkies and love gadgets: what apps, gadgets and things to help you have fun along the way did you take with, or are you planning to take along?

Regarding maps and geographical info smartphone apps, I plan to use a mix of Motion X, TrekRight, and Strava to track distances and other stats and have a handle on where we're walking and what's around us using an iPhone 6+. I'm yet to find a good app for placing geo-tagged pics on a map for the folks back home to see.

Apart from those, the usual music, and books (Gerald Kelly's guide and The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago), including a few pdfs I've compile about tips etc (much of it copied and pasted from here, hehe), and, being a camera freak, a plethora of camera apps (Iris and DistressedFX are favourites) for the iPhone since I'll be doing Instagram along the way. And in that line, a Gorilla tripod will go in the bag long before an extra pair of pants does.

Also using Startrails for night sky viewing; Noteshelf and Paper 53 for drawing and making notes; and since I'm a compulsive Scrabble player, Words With Friends. For weather I find the Norwegian Yr app the best and most trustworthy.

On the Naukluft Trail, a long and arduous hike in Namibia we completed last year I experimented with a solar charger but even in the sunny desert weather I found it wasn't worth the extra weight. It took ages to recharge.

Anyone else take some weird and wonderful things along?

And lastly, if I can find an Apple Watch in Madrid before we start walking in late April, that'll be coming along without a doubt!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My 2014 gadgets were my FitBit (time, distance and just curiosity), my iPhone 5 (verbal communication with hubby and dog back home), my Fuji X100s (don't leave home without it), my iPad mini (entertainment and com center, synced photos to it daily), my iPod Nano 7 (music, podcasts and a battery charge lasts forever!) and a multi-port USB EU charger . Along the way I bought a 3 place EU wall adapter at a China Bazaar (loved by all). I had "justification" for all of them. This year, I now have a ton of Amazon Prime music on my iPad mini so no Nano. I can't get myself to solely rely on the iPhone 6+ camera but may take a different one that weighs half as much as my Fuji.

I will probably end up taking my Olympus M10 mirrorless camera although I'm very aware of how much weight it adds especially with a high-end lens.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am definitely bringing my Nexus 7. When my last one got accidentally broken, I had to order one from NZ because Google are no longer making that size. Dumb, very dumb. The next size up is too big and the size down is phone size.
I have bought a solar charger - Solar Monkey plus I have a small external charger which I swear by.
I am thinking about getting a new Android phone as my current phone drives me nuts and I want something with a good camera. What are the chances of finding a Samsung Galaxy 6 at a reasonable price in Duty Free on the way over? The problem is that I am flying out of Darwin so the local airport is hopeless. Singapore airport may be the way to go in that respect. Need to investigate their phone system. I am already taking a real camera - a Canon 100D/REbel SL1 which was the most lightweight DSLR on the market when I bought it last year.
I would love something like the Garmin Fenix 3 multisport watch but I can't justify a new phone AND a fancy watch.

I am definitely bringing my Nexus 7. When my last one got accidentally broken, I had to order one from NZ because Google are no longer making that size. Dumb, very dumb. The next size up is too big and the size down is phone size.
I have bought a solar charger - Solar Monkey plus I have a small external charger which I swear by.
I am thinking about getting a new Android phone as my current phone drives me nuts and I want something with a good camera. What are the chances of finding a Samsung Galaxy 6 at a reasonable price in Duty Free on the way over? The problem is that I am flying out of Darwin so the local airport is hopeless. Singapore airport may be the way to go in that respect. Need to investigate their phone system. I am already taking a real camera - a Canon 100D/REbel SL1 which was the most lightweight DSLR on the market when I bought it last year.
I would love something like the Garmin Fenix 3 multisport watch but I can't justify a new phone AND a fancy watch.

I took my nexus 7 last year. I used an app called Open GPS Tracker to... well, to track where I had walked. I kept the wifi turned off during the day to save the battery and turned it on only when I wanted to hop online. Battery life was great though.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Donna, I doubt whether you'll find a good price in duty free, and Singapore in general has become very expensive. Being an Apple groupie I will of course suggest the iPhone 6 rather than a Galaxy, simply more and better apps I believe but it's down to personal preference. How/when do you intend charging the solar Monkey, on the go or when you arrive at a place? I haven't had much luck charging it while walking with it attached to the top of my backpack.

Falcon269 the cyborg pilgrim ;)

Please......
This thread is for those folk who are interested in taking technical "gadgets" with them on the Camino....for their own enjoyment.

Please do not post your personal opinion on the use of electronics.
This thread is for the discussion of the equipment and not a discussion of other matters.
Off topic posts will be deleted so that this thread can remain open.

Last edited:
I started posting about this on another thread about gps apps on smartphones, but didn't want to hijack the conversation.

For those pilgrims who are techno junkies and love gadgets: what apps, gadgets and things to help you have fun along the way did you take with, or are you planning to take along?

Regarding maps and geographical info smartphone apps, I plan to use a mix of Motion X, TrekRight, and Strava to track distances and other stats and have a handle on where we're walking and what's around us using an iPhone 6+. I'm yet to find a good app for placing geo-tagged pics on a map for the folks back home to see.

Apart from those, the usual music, and books (Gerald Kelly's guide and The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago), including a few pdfs I've compile about tips etc (much of it copied and pasted from here, hehe), and, being a camera freak, a plethora of camera apps (Iris and DistressedFX are favourites) for the iPhone since I'll be doing Instagram along the way. And in that line, a Gorilla tripod will go in the bag long before an extra pair of pants does.

Also using Startrails for night sky viewing; Noteshelf and Paper 53 for drawing and making notes; and since I'm a compulsive Scrabble player, Words With Friends. For weather I find the Norwegian Yr app the best and most trustworthy.

On the Naukluft Trail, a long and arduous hike in Namibia we completed last year I experimented with a solar charger but even in the sunny desert weather I found it wasn't worth the extra weight. It took ages to recharge.

And lastly, if I can find an Apple Watch in Madrid before we start walking in late April, that'll be coming along without a doubt!

I think an Apple watch would be fantastic as well! I don't think it will be here before I depart. My iPhone and iPad mini are coming with me this time. I have not made up my mind about apps just yet. I do plan to scan my guide books and breakout the maps separately as well. The gadgets will come in handy then and no WiFi or signal required.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Last camino I used maps.me on Iphone, downloaded the maps on forehand and also downloaded two different gps tracks from the route. Nice!
First camino a normal iPad accompanied me, later camino's an iPad mini. Wouldn't go without.
Also had many maps, guides, etc. on it.
Music provided by nano. But didn't listen a lot on the way.
Always looking for the best compact camera around. It isn't around yet! So it's the best I can find at that moment (well.. price/quality).
Backing up, editting and blogging on the iPad.
Solar system along, not much used however.
Remember Tubeway Army: Are friends electric?
Well, some of this pilgrim are;-)

I took my nexus 7 last year. I used an app called Open GPS Tracker to... well, to track where I had walked. I kept the wifi turned off during the day to save the battery and turned it on only when I wanted to hop online. Battery life was great though.
Glad to know it worked well for you :)

Donna, I doubt whether you'll find a good price in duty free, and Singapore in general has become very expensive. Being an Apple groupie I will of course suggest the iPhone 6 rather than a Galaxy, simply more and better apps I believe but it's down to personal preference. How/when do you intend charging the solar Monkey, on the go or when you arrive at a place? I haven't had much luck charging it while walking with it attached to the top of my backpack.

Falcon269 the cyborg pilgrim ;)

I was planning to try out the charger for the first time this weekend. I do plan to attach it to my pack and charge on the go. I'm an Android girl but my daughter has Apple everything and the iPhone 6 is lovely. Too much music on Google Play to consider swapping over lol.

Last camino I used maps.me on Iphone, downloaded the maps on forehand and also downloaded two different gps tracks from the route. Nice!
First camino a normal iPad accompanied me, later camino's an iPad mini. Wouldn't go without.
Also had many maps, guides, etc. on it.
Music provided by nano. But didn't listen a lot on the way.
Always looking for the best compact camera around. It isn't around yet! So it's the best I can find at that moment (well.. price/quality).
Backing up, editting and blogging on the iPad.
Solar system along, not much used however.
Remember Tubeway Army: Are friends electric?
Well, some of this pilgrim are;-)
Oh for a camera, I bought lenses that attached to my iPhone 6. They are small and very light weight. I think it will be a great system.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Not sure if I responded already but thought I would mention my Bose headphones. They have a noise cancelling feature that comes in handy when fellow pilgrims make noise in the night. Couldn't sleep without them but it's pretty hard to sleep on your side with them on.

Looking at new phone options, does anyone have the Motorola Moto X (2nd Generation). It looks surprisingly good and costs a lot less.
I just wish someone would combine the best features of both AND make it dual SIM. That would be my ideal phone.
I'm just looking at prices and the MotoX 2nd Gen costs $567.98 and the Samsung Galaxy6 $930.98. I need a new phone. To replace the cracked screen on my POS HTC 802d is over $300. Given that I have the pink tint camera issue whenever the temp is over about 27 deg C (which is most of the day up here!) that is not an option.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Charl: Some suggestions: Make sure you have a WATERPROOF

Charl: Some suggestions: Make sure you have a WATERPROOF
Make sure you have a WATERPROOF case for your phone. Just the sweat from the exertion will fill it up with water, even if it isn't raining.. which it does often by the way. I brought a small charging cube and a 2 prong European adapter. Worked no problem. Just check the voltages on each charger. Don't bring much. If you are a TMobile customer, you are good to go.. if not, the rates are terrible. If you phone is unlocked I recommend spending an extra day in Madrid or a major city like Pamplona and getting a local SIM card. They can be refilled at most grocery stores, or ATMs!. On the cameras. I saw Nikon D4s, to phones. Depending on your purpose... If you are a serious photographer, bring a decent DLSR with a cheaper (lighter) lens. Most images are of your friends, your phone is fine. For those that want to make documentaries.... a phone with a remote wand, or a Go-Pro is great.. I would lean towards the Go-Pro as a wonderful option that won't have issues with dust, impact, or moisture. I completed this last year.. Most of all I would recommend that you use the tech to document your experiences, music, etc.. You don't really need anything other than a paper guide to get you there. It is a challenge to get lost. it is very well documented. If you are a reasonably fast walker and have trained a bit prior to leaving, you won't have an issue finding a place to stay. The Camino Will Provide.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The GoPro is a cool idea, wish I had one. For documenting I'm planning on using the Olympus and the gorilla tripod to shoot time-lapse videos, haven't seen anything like that done yet on the Camino. So much of the Camino, especially the Franes route has been photographed a thousand times that it will be a challenge to come up with something new. But then like you say, the Camino will provide, even if it's only new and original photo ops....

I don't have a GoPro....and probably won't....but
I am wondering what the best way someone would use one?

Mounted? Carry like a normal camera? If not mounted why would it be better than a small camera

The GoPro is a cool idea, wish I had one. For documenting I'm planning on using the Olympus and the gorilla tripod to shoot time-lapse videos, haven't seen anything like that done yet on the Camino. So much of the Camino, especially the Franes route has been photographed a thousand times that it will be a challenge to come up with something new. But then like you say, the Camino will provide, even if it's only new and original photo ops....
I brought a gorilla tripod. After about a week, the tightening knob worked it's way loose and was lost on the Camino. If you do bring one. the constant bouncing takes it's toll. On the GOPRO comment. I like the GoPros because they are pretty invulnerable to the environment and as you say have many mounting options. A POV documentary would be interesting.. great for group selfies on a wand (your arm just isn't long enough to capture the ever growing camino family.. it is really set up for video (a phone would just die with 5 weeks of video on it).. Hope that helps!! Buen Camino and have the time of your lives....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Sixwheeler even as a self-confessed techno-junkie there are times where paper maps can't be replaced. On a very remote 8-day hike in Namibia we used a paper map, since there are no electronic maps of the route with the amount of detail on it that we needed. So I think paper maps have a place where one needs special local information, or that show custom routes. I'm the last one to say paper maps are out of fashion, and when wandering around a town you'll probably still see me with a crumpled piece of paper with a hand drawn map on it. It's the things that electronics add to a paper map - eg to track your location, elevation, distance etc - that make them useful and fun.

Grayland, I like the idea of a selfie stick, does one get fold-up versions? I thought of taking my mono-pod as a walking stick but it's simply too heavy and bulky.

David thanks for the warning about the gorilla tripod, note to self, keep tripod in bag.

Now, of course, if I can locate a camera drone that weighs about 200 grams to take with :))

Looking at new phone options, does anyone have the Motorola Moto X (2nd Generation). It looks surprisingly good and costs a lot less.
I just wish someone would combine the best features of both AND make it dual SIM. That would be my ideal phone.
I'm just looking at prices and the MotoX 2nd Gen costs $567.98 and the Samsung Galaxy6 $930.98. I need a new phone. To replace the cracked screen on my POS HTC 802d is over $300. Given that I have the pink tint camera issue whenever the temp is over about 27 deg C (which is most of the day up here!) that is not an option.

Samsung is claiming both new Galaxy 6 models are back ordered. So I doubt it'll be easy to find for quite awhile. It just went on sale in Europe yesterday.

Isn't the Motox the phone the new Nexus 6 is based on? The Nexus 6 is bigger and stock Android. The Nexus 6 is still in short supply (At least the 64GB model) but it can be found.

I

If you need a real sport watch I'd suggest looking at the Polar models. Polar has been making sport watches for twenty years and has various models aimed at different sports and different training levels.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm yet to find a good app for placing geo-tagged pics on a map for the folks back home to see.

Do you need something more then the way Flickr does mapping?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rocket_italia/map

That's my flickr. You can see the map from that link. I don't use the app to upload (I use Lightroom) but my understanding is the app uploads the GPS info.

On the tripod. You know what they say. A bad tripod is worse then no tripod. If I wanted a tripod I'd considered a monopod first. Actually I put the weight into a better camera with good low light and vibration control lenses. I don't see the point of saving weight on the camera then hauling a tripod.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
NicoZ that Flickr map looks interesting, will investigate, thanks. Haven't been paying much attention to Flickr developments, even though I've had a gallery there for more than ten years.

On the tripod, point taken, but then it's a trade-off. Unless I can find a donkey to carry my Canon/Manfrotto equipment :) The gorilla tripod with the Olympus M10 certainly won't produce twenty second exposures worthy of National Geographic but I'm going to push it as far as it can go, and I think for the time-lapses it'll do just fine.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thought I'd quickly do an update on this while we're on the Camino, just to say how the gadgets are holding up:

-- Galileo gps app on the iPhone stopped us from getting lost while crossing the Pyrenees at Portalet. Constntly being used to look for route alternatives, POI, etc. worth its weight in gold.

-- The wife uses Strava to track our daily kilometers. We compared it with others while walking and it seems the most accurate. She says we've walked 732km, 382km to go (from Lourdes). Interestingly, Trekright does NOT work with gps but tracks your movement between two points, so in principle it's inaccurate if you walk detours, eg around a church.

The selfie stick snd the gorilla tripod are working well, glad I brought them.

Next time bringing a GoPro. DEFINITELY.

Using iPhone as primary camera about 60% of the time, Olympus for pix that deserve hi-res, shooting raw. Seeing guys with big Canon DSLRs and they look tired ;)

The external battery for the iPhone has helped out several times to keep the phones alive. Especially the wife's iPhone 5 which doesn't have a very long battery life. Especially useful on the Aragones where signage wasn't always adequate and I had to use the gps a lot.

I'd like to do more creative photography but frankly after a 30km day I'm not all that creative :) taking about 50 photos a day en-route... Missed many marvellously lit churches on route at night just because I can't stay awake, my feet are sore, or get can't myself out of bed early before we start...

-- The wife uses Strava to track our daily kilometers. We compared it with others while walking and it seems the most accurate. She says we've walked 732km, 382km to go (from Lourdes). Interestingly, Trekright does NOT work with gps but tracks your movement between two points, so in principle it's inaccurate if you walk detours, eg around a church.
Hi Charl,

You are correct about TrekRight tracking your movement between two points. However, it isn't meant to track your actual distance or to log your actual walk. It is focused on helping you move along the route you've selected while identifying all the locations of interest to you. It uses GPS for this (and the compass feature specifically compares your current position to the route you've selected so that it can guide you back to the trail if you wander off it, like you might do when seeking a restaurant). It doesn't log your walk, though -- there are already dozens of good apps that do that.

Distance totals reported in the app are meant to indicate how much of the *selected route* you still need to do (or have done). The emphasis is thus different from a 'logging' app.

Hope your Camino is going well!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Do these apps work with out data connections?

TrekRight works without a data connection (assuming you download the offline maps). GPS functionality does not require a data connection. Galileo works offline too (at least I'm almost sure it does). I'm not sure if Strava does, though.

We don't use Strava as a mapping device, purely for distance. But when we have an internet connection we upload the data and save it sk we have daily mapped records if where and how ling we walked.

Please don't don't get me wrong, we use Trekright every day as a 'countdown' on stages, it's layout and nice, big displays are wonderful. It's a first class app.

Galileo is off-line yes. In addition I'd overlaid gps routes off the Aragones and the routes from Lourdes onto it before we left so we used those as route guides which were invaluable and kept us from getting lost numerous times when the signage were missing. Its map detail (well, that of the Openstreetmaps, really ;)) is astounding, it has even the smallest footpaths mapped together with all the churches and POI, albergues etc.

8733972_sa.jpg;maxHeight=315;maxWidth=300;scaleUp=false

Ill be taking this 2 TB sd card reading external hard drive to claer and back up the images from my camera.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.