• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino in September....

Flynn

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk Sept '15
Hi All,

I am in the planning stage for my first Camino. My mother and I are hoping to leave Sydney mid September and I would like to make sure I am on the right track regarding travel......this is what I have so far, any help is greatly appreciated:

Sydney -----> Paris (CDG) FLIGHT
Paris -----> Biarritz RAIL EUROPE
Biarritz ----->St Jean TAXI SHARE

Then on the way home:

Santiago -----> Paris FLIGHT
Paris -----> Sydney FLIGHT

I am finding it hard to concentrate and/or sleep I am so 'Camino' orientated, I think I have well and truly caught the bug!

Cheers,
Flynn.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Buen Camino, Flynn.
You'll enjoy the Camino and Spain in September.
Of course, I think the best time to walk the Camino is when it is raining, or when it is not. ;)

Last year, in September and October, we met and walked with lots of your country folk.
Sydney and Brisbane were well represented, and we made some fast friends among the Aussie Peregrinos.
Enjoy your adventure.
Buen Viaje.

Hi All,

I am in the planning stage for my first Camino. My mother and I are hoping to leave Sydney mid September and I would like to make sure I am on the right track regarding travel......this is what I have so far, any help is greatly appreciated:

Then on the way home:

I am finding it hard to concentrate and/or sleep I am so 'Camino' orientated, I think I have well and truly caught the bug!

Cheers,
Flynn.
Hi Flynn, you absolute will have a great time and meeting lots off people with the same interest in walking the Camino. Wish you well, Peter.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Flynn! I will actually begin my walk on October 1st, I do believe. I will fly into Madrid on 29 September, but plan to spend one night at Corazon Puro, and the next night in St. J Pied de Port. I have been looking at this form since early December, and have been eager and motivated to do the Camino Frances since last September. For me to passionately embrace this journey for seven months now has been, at times, exhausting. All the issues to be considered:
--fly in where?
--which pack? shoes? boots? poles? socks? pants? etc. etc. etc
--what's the best this and that?
--my cats and dogs? husband????
--several friends wanted to go with (guess what I said: NO; antisocial? no. just didn't want to wait around while people fiddled with their packs and drank cafe con lecho, lol)
--am I fit enough? training, yada yada yada!
--gotta lose weight? (Arn and his family put me on a diet, ha ha!)

So you will have SO much fun :)

Hi. I am also planning a late August/early September start (from NSW) I thought perhaps fly to Barcelona, train to Pamplona then bus or taxi to SJPP. I thought the Paris trip may have too many train changes. And the back pack... any ideas on how to manage poles in flight that my daughter bought for me to use...and the extra clothes and gear I wont need on the actual walk. Am old ( yuk!!! 73) fit and capable but would appreciate any advice and help. :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That would be awesome
It would be. You look like a GREAT person, with lots of wonderful energy and youthful beauty and energy! Maybe after all those compliments, you'll give me a foot rub :rolleyes: It COULD happen!

looks can be deceiving. But yes generally lots of energy. I am doing this walk as my 60th birthday gift to myself. Very excited. Maybe we could do reciprocal foot rubs c hopefully we will meet up. I am getting very excited. Only three and a bit months to go.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh, then I'm the baby of this family! 56 in September, the 9th. In fact, my birthday is 9/9/59, a rather auspicious date.

I'm delighted that you are turning 60, and you are maintaining a really great appearance. Must be all that clean living in Australia.

I have some wonderful friends from Australia, with whom I worked in Cambodia--TAFE people, working with IDP, at the Australian Centre for Education.

I hope to see you in Spain, and very Buen Camino, Ms. Elizabethan!

Oh wow, this is amazing - my birthday is wait for it - the 9th of September 1955 - 9/9/55. That is incredible. I am actually known as Anne or Annie - my first name is Anne. I don't think I have met anyone from Oregon, but I have volunteered with people from many others parts of America and Canada when I was in Thailand and Peru.

I too hope we get to catch you.

Oh wow, this is amazing - my birthday is wait for it - the 9th of September 1955 - 9/9/55. That is incredible. I am actually known as Anne or Annie - my first name is Anne. I don't think I have met anyone from Oregon, but I have volunteered with people from many others parts of America and Canada when I was in Thailand and Peru.

I too hope we get to catch you.

We share auspicious birthdates, then! I am smiling and happy that we share birthdays. How really great! Your birth numbers are wonderful--and two nines and two fives add up to a perfect ten, which you are.

I look forward to meeting my birthday Camino sister some day.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You know there is a saying that what you see in others is what we are ourselves. I thank you for your compliments. I am so looking forward to meeting you camino sister.

Awwww! You're wonderful. We'll meet!

I am leaving Canberra on 7 September 2015. Flying to Paris, a night in Paris. Then train (and bus) to St Jean Pied du Port on 9 September (booked through SNCF). Start walking on 10 September.

Hi. I am also planning a late August/early September start (from NSW) I thought perhaps fly to Barcelona, train to Pamplona then bus or taxi to SJPP. I thought the Paris trip may have too many train changes. And the back pack... any ideas on how to manage poles in flight that my daughter bought for me to use...and the extra clothes and gear I wont need on the actual walk. Am old ( yuk!!! 73) fit and capable but would appreciate any advice and help. :)
My dad and I arrive in SJPDP on August 31 (from WA) and walk to Orisson on the 1st. My dad is 70 and this is his celebration for his birthday :) Not long now. Our poles reduce in size, so they will go in one pack which we'll check in for the internal flights.

Hello Nan!
The easiest way is to leave the poles at home if you have trouble with the size. If you need poles buy them in Spain. Gear that you don´t need for the walk is a problem. If you don´t need them for your return you can send them home from a Post-Office. But it is very expensive. It´s better to just carry what you need for the walk and then buy in Spain if you need something extra. My wife and I are starting our 4th walk at the end of August and we have less gear everytime. We have dropped the poles. Sometimes you need at least one to balance better but you have to carry them all day. Keep the back pack as easy as you can. You will have much more pleasure. Last time we started in Roncevalles beacuse it´s offer a calmer start an a more easy walk than if you start in SJPP which also is a tourist trap, don´t forget that.
But every person has his opinion. You will do the Camino alright. I´m 71 and still carrying on. Light back pack, poncho for rain, boots which support your ankles, don´t walk in anything else, Merino woll underwear and the rest you already know.

Thanks for ideas and thoughts. Will have to think about poles. Have an easy pack to carry but am thinking of tripping (not walking!!!) to Portugal or back up to Paris after Santiago so need the extra clothes and gear after the Camino. Hoping I can send an overnight bag on Santiago from st jean for pick up on arrival.

Thank you so much for web site mspath. Have checked it out and its just what I need. I Appreciate your help.

I am leaving Canberra on 7 September 2015. Flying to Paris, a night in Paris. Then train (and bus) to St Jean Pied du Port on 9 September (booked through SNCF). Start walking on 10 September.

We just arrived back! It was a bit shocking to leave Spanish spring behind and go back to this little Canberra freezer we call home! :D Buen Camino, you will love it!

Funny thing that on our first day on the Camino, the first English-speaker my husband and I bumped into was also from Canberra!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for ideas and thoughts. Will have to think about poles. Have an easy pack to carry but am thinking of tripping (not walking!!!) to Portugal or back up to Paris after Santiago so need the extra clothes and gear after the Camino. Hoping I can send an overnight bag on Santiago from st jean for pick up on arrival.
What a great trip! Paris, one of my favorite cities. The other is Rome.
I think the problem is storing the bag. If you follow an ordinary guidebook it will take you at least 33 days to complete the CF. Someone must look after it for that time. Why not send a mail to the Tourist Office in Santiago de Compostela and ask how this can be solved. They will certainly help you if they can. There are also a Pilgrimorganisation i Santiago. You will find them also on the Internet.
If you have an address it´s easy to send the bag from Pamplona. Just walk into a Post-Office and they will send it for you as a parcel.

Hi swede. Thank you for your help. How fabulous.......you have walked the Camino 4 times! (Paris is my favourite city).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi swede. Thank you for your help. How fabulous.......you have walked the Camino 4 times! (Paris is my favourite city).
Well, it will be the 4th time this year when we start in the end of August. Once you have walked the CF it´s very hard not do it again. The CF is full of ancent history and you meet so many nice people, so many stories you will hear. The Spanish people are nice and helpful. Since the CF is 800 km long there are lot´s of places you want to see again. All the regions you walk through are different. The last, Galicia, is like Scandinavian weather. Well I could fill up the whole website here so I stop with saying Paris is called the City of Cities and Rome, the Eternal City. I wish you a pleasant tour, don´t rush through the CF (many do that), rest when you feel the need of it and take care of your feet. Then you will make it and have a pleasant memory for the rest of your life.

My husband and I have our poles wrapped in plastic at the airport, then checked in.
Have had books sent through from St Jean to Santiago to a hostel recommended on this site for luggage storage. Cost 15euros to store.
Hope your camino is wonderful.
Sharon

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you all for your help and great ideas. Belated thought (as happens to grandmas) I can send the extra gear on from Pamplona instead of St J. Thinking that will be easier ....Spain to Spain. Think I am trying too hard to cover all bases instead of just going with the flow.

Hi All,

Then on the way home:

Cheers,
Flynn.
Hi Flynn,

What day are you looking for? I am coming in either in the afternoon on the 9th or early on the 10th of Sept. I need to be at Orisson by the evening of the 10th.

Pat

My dad has torn ligaments in his knee, so we've had to cancel our camino trip in September :( I'm still going to Europe but not until October. We haven't given up, we hope to go in 2 years when my eldest daughter finishes high school. Buen Camino everyone.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.