• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping Bag September October

John Saxon

Time of past OR future Camino
Invierno 2023
I'll be walking mid September to late October. Looking at two sleeping bags. Both ultralight and very compressible but one is lighter, rated to 45F, and costs less and the other is rated to 32F, costs more, and a bit heavier but still very light. Given temps at night, do I need to go with 32F bag or will 45F bag be OK?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As always, that's a personal question that depends more on you than anyone else. I walked the French route in September and didn't need a bag at all. I have natural insulation and doesn't easily get cold. My wife said she would take a bag if she walked at the same time again. She gets cold easily. That said, layering works when you sleep too. If you get cold at nights, maybe take the lighter bag. Add a blanket if you need it or pants / shirt & a beanie.

We walked last Sept and Oct and there was no need for a sleeping bag. It was so warm in the albergues that I was mostly out of the bag to keep from overheating. But as MichaelSG says above, it depends upon your own needs. Having said that, my wife who typically is colder than me also said she did not need a bag. We carried 40 degree bags. On Camino now, in Valtuille de Arriba, and have only brought a sleeping bag liner by SeatoSummit and it is working great.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is discussion is getting interesting! I have to say that, from personal experience it seems men tend to get 'hot' in the albergues, often lying without covers in their boxers, while some women are snuggled up with an extra blanket! I read a scientific article once about how women feel the cold more, because the moment the temp drops a bit blood is redirected to our vital organs in the interest of protecting the womb, which is also why women often tend to have freezing hands and feet, even when it's not *that* cold. Anyway sorry to get off topic here! Suffice it to say that I enjoy having a cosy sleeping bag, although I doubt you'll need anything warmer than 45F!

My first Camino, I struggled with what bag to take.
I ended up buying a Marmot Pounder bag - lightweight.
I slept in front of the open door of my house in the bag and almost froze.
I returned it and bought the Pounder PLUS and was cozy warm.
I agree men tend to sleep warmer than women.
I've walked September and October - you'll have a combination of warm and cold days.
I'd definitely take a bag, and a 45 should be fine
You can always put on clothes if you're chilly.
And if you take an Altus or other rain poncho, you'd be surprised how much heat they hold in if just lightly laid over your sleeping bag.
I once slept in chilly Roncesvalles with only the poncho over me and was toasty warm.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'll be walking mid September to late October. Looking at two sleeping bags. Both ultralight and very compressible but one is lighter, rated to 45F, and costs less and the other is rated to 32F, costs more, and a bit heavier but still very light. Given temps at night, do I need to go with 32F bag or will 45F bag be OK?
Go with the lighter bag. I went the same dates last year with a very light bag and it was fine. If it gets chilly you can wear a sweater to bed.

Go with the lighter bag. I went the same dates last year with a very light bag and it was fine. If it gets chilly you can wear a sweater to bed.
I walked Camino Frances in September/October of 2013 and Camino via de la Plata September/October of 2014. Unless you are planning on sleeping outside you do not need a sleeping bag. We take sleep sacks, many of the albergues have blankets and yeah if you are cold wear your sweater.

Everyone is different. I walked last Sept/Oct and was glad I had a sleeping bag (ultralight) I even added blankets on occasion.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked from mid September to late October in 2013. I started with a silk bag liner but my second night in Roncesvalles was very, very long and cold. By the time I arrived in Pamplona I knew I would need a bag. I purchased an ultralight sleeping bag at Caminoteca and was very glad I did. There were nights I didn't need it, and then others I asked the Albergue for blanket to go over my bag. Based on my experience the ultralight bag is a no brainer. By the end of your Camino I really think you will be glad you have it.
C

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back