• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Zaragoza to Logrono

SabsP

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
some and then more. see my signature.
First of all : thank you Ivar for making this thread possible.

Well, I've been reading a bit about the Ruta del Ebro, starting in Tortosa and connecting in Logrono with the Camino Frances.
http://www.mundicamino.com/ruta.cfm?p=d ... pci%C3%B3n
This mundicamino link already gives some valuable info.

I'm particularly interested in walking from Zaragoza to Logrono and stop there. Reaching SdC is not a goal for me this time.

So if anyone here on the forum walked ( part ) of the Ruta del Ebro I hope you will share some of your ideas / opinions about this part of Spain.
A big plus is that Ryanair flies in directly from Brussel to Zaragoza, took that flight last year when I started my CF. In Zaragoza I took bus to Pamplona and so on...

Anyway....all ideas welcome. Cheers in advance.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sabine - I was with a pilgrim who walked this route last year with a friend. Apparently it was a bit hair-raising - they got lost many a time, walked across ploughed fields, had to call at police stations to get places opened up and ended up staying casa rurals most of the time. They also did not meet another pilgrim along the way. So, it sounds as if it is badly sign-posted with little support and possibly not something to be done on one's own until it becomes more popular. If you pm me with your email address, I can ask her to tell you about her experiences.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
jennysa said:
Sabine - I was with a pilgrim who walked this route last year with a friend. Apparently it was a bit hair-raising - they got lost many a time, walked across ploughed fields, had to call at police stations to get places opened up and ended up staying casa rurals most of the time. They also did not meet another pilgrim along the way. So, it sounds as if it is badly sign-posted with little support and possibly not something to be done on one's own until it becomes more popular. If you pm me with your email address, I can ask her to tell you about her experiences.

Jenny , thanks for the support. Did your fellow pilgrim start in Zaragoza or before there? Because from Zaragoza on it is a quite populated region , populated in terms of every five or six k. a village with facilities. I'm corresponding with someone who also walked from Zaragoza on and this person assures me the signposting ( again from Zaragoza ) is pretty ok. I'm aware that I will have to book pensions or hostals. One of the few albergues en route only takes in groups from ten persons on...
Still time to decide though...

Sabine, I think they started in Barcelona.

jennysa said:
Sabine, I think they started in Barcelona.

Jenny, indeed that first part is quite a rough walk. The more I read about the second part ( starting from Zaragoza ) the more I doubt walking it. The walk itself is not that hard but It seems the waymarking needs some improving, like your pilgrim friend said. Easy parts are the parallel road in between the Ebro at one side and the railway on the other side...but there are difficult parts too.
So combination of poor waymarking and lonely Camino might be not such a good idea for me personally.
Might end up starting in Pamplona or Roncesvalles...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sabine, I think you are wise. She also said that they did not meet another pilgrim on that camino, so having learned my lesson walking on my own on the Camino Aragones, I would never walk one of these lonely caminos on my own again.

Have to fly into Zaragoza anyway. So will start there and see how it goes the first two days. If it proves too hard then I will hop on the bus to Pamplona. I discovered also that there's a good trainconnection along the route. So will take the train on a certain etapa ( 36 k. is too much for me, know this from two years ago ) to be sure that I get into the next town with facilities. Then again I don't want to jinx my next Camino by talking about it too much, lots can happen ( as I already noticed this year ). :D

Have to fly into Zaragoza anyway. So will start there and see how it goes the first two days. If it proves too hard then I will hop on the bus to Pamplona. I discovered also that there's a good trainconnection along the route. So will take the train on a certain etapa ( 36 k. is too much for me, know this from two years ago ) to be sure that I get into the next town with facilities. Then again I don't want to jinx my next Camino by talking about it too much, lots can happen ( as I already noticed this year ). :D
Hi Sabine; I found this thread by chance and wonder if you finally did that stretch from Zaragoza to Logroño. If so, what is it like in terms of accommodation, walking conditions, etc?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Pano, I only walked two days from Zaragoza to Alagon and then to Gallur.... Heavy heavy rain and mudslides...Detours also because the paths near the Ebro were not reachable at certain parts. In normal conditions it is a beautiful walk ( the parts I did anyway... and also the view I had on train from Gallur Tudela and Logrono were very promising ). Also met only one pilgrim and we both decided to stop at the same point. The lovely people at the albergue in Gallur ( also the cafeteria of the trainstation ) let us stay till two in afternoon so we kept dry till we could take te train.
Every bigger town has an albergue but not all open for one person ( at least for a group of ten like in Tudela and Calahorra ) but there are decent cheap options like pensiones. I had a complete appartment to myself in Alagon for only 15 €!!
The paperguide I had was sufficient too.

Thanks for the update, Sabine.
I think this is definitely on my 'list' maybe for next year or for 2016 .... [how long does it take to get rid of this "camino bug"?!?]

I walked part of the Ruta del Ebro this June, I keep meaning to post my experiences on here but I'm trying to keep up with my PhD research.

It was a very tough walk, hot and dry with long distances between towns or places of refreshment. I started from Tortosa (lost my guidebook in the station!) to Benifallet (the town, not the station! That's another story), Benifallet to Gandesa, Gandesa to Batea (the only time I strayed from the path which is relatively well marked in Catalunya), Batea to Fabara (no 'formal' accommodation here), Fabara to Caspe and Caspe to Sastago where I'm afraid I quite. Took a bus to Zaragoza then Santander and followed the Norte, Liebana and Vadiniense. Much cooler and a better infrastructure.

I would really like to have another crack at this, starting from the delta and carrying on to Zaragoza but this was only my second camino and I wasn't quite up to it. I didn't meet a single other pilgrim en route and the locals invariably thought I was a bit crazy. Probably a walk for spring or autumn; I will write up my notes and post them on here. Promise!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I walked part of the Ruta del Ebro this June, I keep meaning to post my experiences on here but I'm trying to keep up with my PhD research.

It was a very tough walk, hot and dry with long distances between towns or places of refreshment. I started from Tortosa (lost my guidebook in the station!) to Benifallet (the town, not the station! That's another story), Benifallet to Gandesa, Gandesa to Batea (the only time I strayed from the path which is relatively well marked in Catalunya), Batea to Fabara (no 'formal' accommodation here), Fabara to Caspe and Caspe to Sastago where I'm afraid I quite. Took a bus to Zaragoza then Santander and followed the Norte, Liebana and Vadiniense. Much cooler and a better infrastructure.

I would really like to have another crack at this, starting from the delta and carrying on to Zaragoza but this was only my second camino and I wasn't quite up to it. I didn't meet a single other pilgrim en route and the locals invariably thought I was a bit crazy. Probably a walk for spring or autumn; I will write up my notes and post them on here. Promise!

Ramblanista, far be it from me to interfere with your Ph.D. research, but inquiring minds want to know at some point..... tell us more about the Ruta del Ebro!!! Looks like a couple of us may be walking there next year, so there's really no rush! Buen camino, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh, this is GREAT, thanks so much! Laurie

Thank you. The Camino del Ebro is part of the PhD research so I've also managed to keep my supervisor happy!

Looking forward to learning more about your research on the Castellano-Aragones - that's next year's fieldwork.

Sabine, I think you are wise. She also said that they did not meet another pilgrim on that camino, so having learned my lesson walking on my own on the Camino Aragones, I would never walk one of these lonely caminos on my own again.
Hi Jenny:
We are considering the Camino Aragones, starting in Pau or Oloron in France and walking to Puenta la Reina. Could you relate your experiences on the Aragones, both good and bad.
thanks.

Jenny, indeed that first part is quite a rough walk. The more I read about the second part ( starting from Zaragoza ) the more I doubt walking it. The walk itself is not that hard but It seems the waymarking needs some improving, like your pilgrim friend said. Easy parts are the parallel road in between the Ebro at one side and the railway on the other side...but there are difficult parts too.

In parts where the camino sign posting isn't good, an alternative could be to follow the Ebro hiking route (GR-99). The Ebro hiking route 'follows' the Ebro river all the way from its source in Fontibre to Riumar (i.e. in the opposite direction than the camino). Tracks for the Ebro hiking route can be found on this web (click in each Etapa -stage- to find tracks and maps of it as well as some other interesting info):

http://www.caminosnaturales.com/ebro

The Ebro hiking route meets the Camino castellano-aragonés in Gallur, the French Way in Logroño, the Camino vasco del interior in Haro (or in Briñas, depending on the variant you choose), the Vía de Bayona in Miranda de Ebro, the Camino olvidado in Arija and the Ruta del Besaya (a pretty unknown -AFAIK (mostly) unmarked- camino route) in Reinosa. Those willing to go all the way till Fontibre, can backtrack to Reinosa (roughly 5 kms away) and take a train or bus to Santander to continue in the Camino del norte or, take a bus to Aguilar de Campoo (or a train but the train station is a few kilometers away from downtown Aguilar de Campoo) and continue on the Olvidado or to give a try to the Ruta del Besaya...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Again, I appreciate your help, Castilian. I have taken this route off my list for 2015, but it is certainly one I hope to walk some day. You sound like you have a huge wealth of information, especially for those of us who focus on the less travelled caminos.

Too many caminos, too little time.... Buen camino, Laurie

My wife and I will be starting the Camino Ignaciano on January 14th from Azpeitia, Basque Country, to Manresa (a day's walk from Montserrat). It crosses the CF at Navarette and Logrono before heading off to Zaragoza, Montserrat and finally Manresa.
This pilgrimage follows the path walked by St. Ignatius of Loyola in 1522 as he was making his way to Jerusalem. We just hope to make it to
Manresa. We will be walking east along the Ebro for part of this journey. Our research points out this journey is poorly marked in the early stages, but gps tracks are provided on the
Camino website, CaminoIgnaciano.org. We are expecting this to be a wet, muddy, solitary journey. Most of our lodging will be in pensions, casa rurals or hotels. It is my understanding that Ignatius walked this route in Februrary, and he made it. Perhaps our luck will hold.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, Stephen,
Looks like a great choice. Where is San Carlas (Carlos?) de la Rapida? A guick skim through mundicamino didn't bring it up. What are you doing for a guide? Looking forward to hearing all about it. Buen camino, Laurie

A typing error is my guess...Do check out San Carlos de la Rapita.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My wife and I will be starting the Camino Ignaciano on January 14th from Azpeitia, Basque Country, to Manresa (a day's walk from Montserrat). It crosses the CF at Navarette and Logrono before heading off to Zaragoza, Montserrat and finally Manresa.
This pilgrimage follows the path walked by St. Ignatius of Loyola in 1522 as he was making his way to Jerusalem. We just hope to make it to Manresa...

John,

Good to learn that you both will soon be starting off again! When in Navarette if you are looking for a good menu del dia try El Molino which is centrally located near the church. It is good, popular, cheap, and copious, ie a find.
Buen camino and Ultreia,
Margaret

John,

Good to learn that you both will soon be starting off again! When in Navarette if you are looking for a good menu del dia try El Molino which is centrally located near the church. It is good, popular, cheap, and copious, ie a find.
Buen camino and Ultreia,
Margaret

Hi Margaret,

Thanks for the restaurant tip. Robin and I are leaving for Bilbao in 3 hours. Hope this finds you well. Off again.

John

Hi Margaret,

Thanks for the restaurant tip. Robin and I are leaving for Bilbao in 3 hours. Hope this finds you well. Off again.

John

Hi, John,
Not sure how I missed this earlier post. May you have a wonderful camino, I'll be peeking at your great blog for updates.

Just reading your itinerary, it looks like you will be walking some of the Cami Catala "backwards". Safe travels and buen camino, Laurie

Hi, Stephen,
Looks like a great choice. Where is San Carlas (Carlos?) de la Rapida? A guick skim through mundicamino didn't bring it up. What are you doing for a guide? Looking forward to hearing all about it. Buen camino, Laurie
Carles, Carlos, Carlas .... es todo mismo :)

Yes, on the coast. We lived for eight years only 20 miles away, to the south in Calig, near Peniscola, and would often see the yellow arrows pointing across the main roads: so I've wanted to do this trip for some time.
Not many guides, Laurie, but I've got "Camino Jacobeo del Ebro y Camino Catalan" published by Jacobeo.net. It's in Spanish, but I get by [though far from fluent!]
I don't expect to see many other peregrinos on the route, but am happy with my own company - and it gives me time to say a prayer and talk to all the animals [and sometimes insects!] that I see :rolleyes:
Buen camino!

Ten weeks to go....
Leaving for Vinaros on March 3rd.
Working for the local church for two months, then ..... the wonderful Ebro river!!
Buen camino a todos!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hey Stephen,

Am looking at walking from Zaragoza to Logrono, and there joining the Camino Frances, in a couple of weeks. I know that the Camino Frances is very well supported in terms of accommodation. I'm just not sure about the section from Zaragoza to Logrono, especially in mid-April. Do you (or anyone else, for that matter!) happen to know much about the state of accommodation along this route, around this time? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Charlie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hey Stephen, Do you (or anyone else, for that matter!) happen to know much about the state of accommodation along this route, around this time? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks! Charlie
Hi Charlie! Sabine has beaten me to the reply ;).
The attached jpeg shows where there are albergues, hostals, banks, and Tourist Information Offices.
Don't expect all albergues to be open or accept single peregrinos [though I think that very sad!]
I shall be stopping at many of the 'intermediate' towns - my feet won't survive 30+ kms!
Hope this helps!
Buen camino, amigo!
Ebro route.jpg
June 2015: PLEASE NOTE: the hotel in Rincon de Sota closed in 2011. You'll need to walk or bus to Calahorra - see my later comment.

Last edited:
Okay! Here's my take on the Ruta del Ebro from Tortosa to Sastago. Any queries, please do get in touch. I might do it again, in full, next June. http://ramblanista.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/one-hundred-hours-of-solitude-walking.html
Smashing web page, Ramblanista, and I've saved it to read several times before departure in May. I don't walk the long distances you do - maximum around 20 kms a day - but if I have to take a bus ... so be it! The page has a lot of great information - and I love your writing style!
Buen camino!

Dear Sabine and Stephen,
Thank you both VERY MUCH for your speedy and very helpful response. Pretty sure I will start my Camino on this lonesome stretch, before heading onto the probably much busier French route.
Shame you're starting later, Stephen, we could have walked a section or two together. Another time maybe!
Best regards to the both of you,

Charlie

Dear Sabine and Stephen,
Thank you both VERY MUCH for your speedy and very helpful response. Pretty sure I will start my Camino on this lonesome stretch, before heading onto the probably much busier French route. Shame you're starting later, Stephen, we could have walked a section or two together. Another time maybe! Charlie
Charlie - I leave on April 27th, walking from San Carles de la Rapita.
The French camino will be MUCH busier than this remote Ruta del Ebro :).
I have never walked the French camino, as I prefer a bit of solitude: but after the Ebro I may long for a bit of peregrino companionship! We shall see.
Vaya con Dios, y buen camino, amigo!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Do you know if it comes in English please.
Only in Spanish I'm afraid.
However, to my mind it's worth it even if just for the route maps.
Remember it was written in 2007 and some things have changed since then: the routes may be marginally different: the final stage into Logrono is very different. And it's best to check accommodation if you can - some of the hotels may have closed down. I know one for certain closed four years ago :(.
From San Carles to Zaragoza the route marking is ... OK .... 6/10.
From Zaragoza to Logrono much better 9/10.
I returned five days ago: have completed processing the 500 photos and am now writing up my diary. It's a beautiful route in places: one or two hairy mountain passes: the poppies are wonderful at this time of year!
Let me know if I can help: remember this is a very lonely path. Personally, I'm happy with that. In three weeks I met three other pilgrims [all going the other way!]
Buen camino!

P1020786.JPG

Remember it was written in 2007 and some things have changed since then: the routes may be marginally different: the final stage into Logrono is very different. And it's best to check accommodation if you can - some of the hotels may have closed down. I know one for certain closed four years ago :(.
I returned five days ago: have completed processing the 500 photos and am now writing up my diary. It's a beautiful route in places: one or two hairy mountain passes: the poppies are wonderful at this time of year!
Let me know if I can help: remember this is a very lonely path. Personally, I'm happy with that. In three weeks I met three other pilgrims [all going the other way!]
Buen camino!

View attachment 18853
Please, Stephen, by all means do post your diary!!!
There are a lot of us who seek less walked routes and infos about them. I can't say I'll be walking it next year or a year after that but it's surely on my "lonesome" bucket list ;)

Have a nice day!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Buen camino!

View attachment 18853
Thanks for your help.

Please, Stephen, by all means do post your diary!!!
There are a lot of us who seek less walked routes and infos about them. I can't say I'll be walking it next year or a year after that but it's surely on my "lonesome" bucket list ;) Have a nice day!

Don't hold your breath! [Or you, 2000!]
I got back a week ago, have processed and annotated the 500 photos, and have reached the 3rd day of 22 days in the diary. My daughter's getting married in ten days, and we're in the process of moving!
I don't now about "less walked" route: it seemed more like an "unwalked route"!
All my diaries are downloadable from my web site.
But the Ebro is a lovely river. I'll add just one more picture [check out Fontcalda] and wish you all a buen camino ...

P1020577.JPG

NOTE WELL: the hotel in Rincon de Sota closed in 2011. There is NO accommodation there, and you may have to walk [or catch a bus] to Calahorra [where there is an amazing new albergue, with en-suite twin rooms!]

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.