• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Son Asked...

Debb Smith

Time of past OR future Camino
I want to walk the Camino for my 60th birthday...I want to be walking on the actual day (12/12/20) and then finish on Christmas Eve in Santiago. I know this will present challenges...
How safe is it to walk the Camino on your own in winter? This is something I have not thought about...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Welcome Debb!

How safe is it to walk the Camino on your own in winter? This is something I have not thought about...
Welcome Deb! I walked alone in the winter (Jan-Feb) and found it to be a great time to walk. I am a 62 y/o female - not in the best shape. There were Pilgrims on the Camino Frances so not too many nights alone. The weather is cold and your son would need to be well prepared for snow and ice. It depends on the year. I only had two days of snow and relatively warm weather in Galicia. I found the information on this forum very valuable in preparing me for my walk, especially equipment/packing lists and information on open albergues. I am sure some of the veterans can steer you to the posts. There are also some good blogs from winter walkers and winter walking guides. I don't know how old your son is, but I found in mid-January I ran into a lot of college-aged pilgrims on break from school and several in their early 30s. A lot of them were walking solo but had formed what we call "Camino families" and we're walking together. Hope this helps.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
H
Welcome Deb! I walked alone in the winter (Jan-Feb) and found it to be a great time to walk. I am a 62 y/o female - not in the best shape. There were Pilgrims on the Camino Frances so not too many nights alone. The weather is cold and your son would need to be well prepared for snow and ice. It depends on the year. I only had two days of snow and relatively warm weather in Galicia. I found the information on this forum very valuable in preparing me for my walk, especially equipment/packing lists and information on open albergues. I am sure some of the veterans can steer you to the posts. There are also some good blogs from winter walkers and winter walking guides. I don't know how old your son is, but I found in mid-January I ran into a lot of college-aged pilgrims on break from school and several in their early 30s. A lot of them were walking solo but had formed what we call "Camino families" and we're walking together. Hope this helps.
Hello Laura! I'm sorry, I didn't make my question clear! It's not my son who wants to walk, he's worried about me going alone! Doing this walk is my 60th birthday present to myself and like you not in the greatest shape but lucky for me, I have some years to prepare!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
H

Hello Laura! I'm sorry, I didn't make my question clear! It's not my son who wants to walk, he's worried about me going alone! Doing this walk is my 60th birthday present to myself and like you not in the greatest shape but lucky for me, I have some years to prepare!
Oops! I think you were clear. I read it wrong. I am excited for you...it is truly a gift. I did the same at 50 and it changed my life. I really loved my winter camino, especially because I hate walking in the heat. I felt safe the entire time, but you do need to be more aware and alert than when walking other times of the year. The things that were different from my previous non-winter caminos: 1. Be more aware of weather and listen to locals - I stayed an extra day in Burgos because I was warned about a Siberean express cold front expected the next day, 2. Shorter Days so less time to walk each day - even with good planning I had to walk with my headlamp one night because the albergue I planned to stop at was closed, 3. Closed albergues - even with a winter guide I encountered closed albergues twice, 4. Fewer pilgrims - had more solo nights in albergues - some by choice when I decided to go further to get ahead of a group, 5. Needed my trekking poles - even with them I slipped and fell on ice twice, 6. No picnics on the side of the road - too cold to stop for very long so had to find bars to rest, 7. A really good down sleeping bag- heat is generally on for a brief period of time in the albergues. Burn Camino Deb!
I meant Buen Camino! Darn spell checker doesn't know Spanish!

Hola, Debb!
You have enough time, 5 & a half years to be exact as stated under you avatar ("I want to walk the Camino for my 60th birthday...I want to be walking on the actual day (12/12/20) and then finish on Christmas Eve in Santiago. I know this will present challenges....") Hang on here, use Search option and I don't doubt you'll get all the info in due time ;)

Also if the starting and finishing dates are correct I would recommend starting in Leon or even two days further on in Astorga, depending on your fitness, stamina etc.

K1

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back