Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Primitivo in a week

Jbf

Time of past OR future Camino
first
Hello All!
I will be starting the Primitivo on the 8th of June and have a few questions. Is this camino relatively empty or will there still be many other pilgrims- as a solo walking woman safety wise? I guess I am a bit concerned with all of the safety issues I am reading about and it is getting in my head. What is the weather like in June on the Primitivo- is it very cold..rainy?? Is the path easy to follow…or can you get lost? Have not prepared that much as of yet….just decided to do it last week and am wondering how intense the hikes are and if it I need to do much more planning, as it is the Primitivo and I guess more intense hiking, than I would have to do for the Camino Frances (my friend has done this part twice and said I can just pack my bag and go). Hiking boots or sneakers? what supplies do i need to carry with me..how much water?…….really any information is welcome……

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have not done the Primivito but found a great website worth checking out as it gives brilliant advice on that route: http://www.simonseeks.com/travel-gu...-different-way-santiago-de-compostela__166666

There have been some reports of lone women being harassed and my first thought here would be to be aware of your surroundings at all times. I always carried a loud whistle - which was basically to be used if I was chased by dogs (I was on my bike when I rode the Camino de Santiago in 2013). I never used it, but having it with me did help me feel much safer. But don't worry too much - if we worried about what "might" happen, we'd never leave the house! You will come across other pilgrims along the way and have a wonderful experience that you will never forget. Most of all, Buen Camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello All!
I will be starting the Primitivo on the 8th of June and have a few questions. Is this camino relatively empty or will there still be many other pilgrims- as a solo walking woman safety wise? I guess I am a bit concerned with all of the safety issues I am reading about and it is getting in my head. What is the weather like in June on the Primitivo- is it very cold..rainy?? Is the path easy to follow…or can you get lost? Have not prepared that much as of yet….just decided to do it last week and am wondering how intense the hikes are and if it I need to do much more planning, as it is the Primitivo and I guess more intense hiking, than I would have to do for the Camino Frances (my friend has done this part twice and said I can just pack my bag and go). Hiking boots or sneakers? what supplies do i need to carry with me..how much water?…….really any information is welcome……

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
I'm on the Primitivo now, walking to Lugo tomorrow. It is not desolate, but 95% of the time I walk alone. 95% of the places you walk are places where anything could happen tomyou and noone would know. It's you, the wind, the birds, the bees, that's it, that's all. There have been 20 of us per day/per stretch. Glorious.

Can it be done with no training? Absolutely, but this is a lot of painful up and down, day after day. But know your limits and plan accordingly, and if you fear walking alone then maybe this is not the route for you, because alone you will be.

Good trekking shoes are all you need, plus clothes that dry quickly: the wind is so cold ot is hard for clothes to dry, and dombring layers and waterproof sunscreen: the sun is powerful. Alsomtake your sleeping back, it is not optional at these altitudes.

Best advice is get a book, study the distances between any stops and plan according to what your limits are, including leaving home at all.

Hi Again JBF,

Safety: this camino is emptier than some of the others but I think you will find other pilgrims in June. There has been a recent report of a flasher just outside Oviedo. The walker made a police report. Anemone del Camino just responded to your post and she is walking now so she has the best up to date info. I think the Primitivo is as safe as anything these days. Are you staying at one of the albergues the night before you start? We are arriving at Hotel Vetusta on the evening of June 7, spending the day in Oviedo on the 8th and then starting our walk on the 9th. Personal message me if you are there on the 7th and want to get together for an early supper.

June on the Primitivo can be variable because of the elevation changes. I think the possibility of rain is great especially as you near Galicia at the end of the walk. Average low temps in June are in the 40's (Fahrenheit) and average high temps are in the high 60's to low 70's. It will be cooler at the higher elevations.

The path is well marked. The name Primitivo refers to the fact that this Camino was the "first Camino" walked by King Alfonse the Chaste when he first went to view the relics of St. James and commissioned the building of the cathedral at Santiago. It isn't a statement about the ruggedness of the trail. That said, this path goes through some fairly remote areas and is more rural than most caminos. It also is very hilly. What folks have said to me is that no single day is harder than the hilly days on the Frances but whole camino consists of hilly days on the Frances -- lots of up and down!

Hiking Boots or Sneakers? I would not walk in plain sneakers but there is LOTS of opinion on this. If you look in the equipment list on this forum you will see many opinions so you have to consider what you are used to. Here are my 2 cents: either walk in a pair of good trail runners or light weight/breathable hiking shoes. I use Merrill Moabs low rise boots. Others walk in sandals!

In terms of what to bring -- that's also a subject of great debate :rolleyes:. I think Anemone posted her packing list in this forum a couple weeks ago. Here's my packing list just FYI:

Liz's Camino Packing List
Outerwear
Osprey Kestral men's small Backpack
Altus Atmospheric Ultra Light Weight Rain Poncho
Fleece Vest Homemade PolarTech 100
Marmot rain/sun Hat
Manzella convertible running gloves
Merrill Moab hiking shoes
New Balance Minimus trainers
REI Trekking Poles
Dirty Girl Gaiters

sleeping eating drinking
Platypus Water system for backpack
2 liters of water
Sea to Summit Traveller TrI Sleeping Bag
Sea to Summit Aeros Ultralight Inflatable Pillow
homemade pillow case
spork
Cup
Ear plugs (2 pair)
eye cover

Clothes
2 REI short ankle socks
2 feetures regular socks
1 Lands End long sleeve turtleneck base layer shirt
2 Elia quick dry cami bras
3 Ex Officio underpants quick dry
1 Lolë quick dry sleeveless top
1 Lolë quick dry short sleeve top
1 REI Venturi Hiking Shorts
1 Columbia Saturday Trail Convertible Pants
1 Long sleeve button wind/sun vented shirt (homemade)
1 REI Webbed Belt
1 Montbell Zeo-line light weight tights
Sunglasses & protective cover
1 Bandanas

Toiletries & Laundry
Packlite Ultra light camp towel
1 Dr. Bronners Soap Bar (person, hair, laundry)
Soap Case
small hair brush
small toothpaste
toothbrush w/cover
small deoderant
spf 50 lip balm
sunscreen/lotion
razor
Sink stopper
8 small clothes pins
shower shoes
2 small hair clips
white beach glass earrings

Miscellaneous
sea to summit ultra light stuffable daypack
1 small LED flashlight
1 Sea to Summitt ultra sil medium stuff sacks (for clothes)
1 toiletries stuff bag
1 sea to summitt ultra sil small stuff sack (for small stuff)
Pilgrim Credential w/ cover + small journal
Passport purse, passport, credit cards, debit card

Technology
iPad mini
logitech ultralight keyboard/cover
tech cords: camera card reader, keyboard cord, ipad cord, fitbit cord, ear phones
iPad/Keyboard neoprene protective case
camera & small neoprene protective carrying case

Buen Camino!

Liz

Last edited:
I'm on the Primitivo now, walking to Lugo tomorrow. It is not desolate, but 95% of the time I walk alone. 95% of the places you walk are places where anything could happen tomyou and noone would know. It's you, the wind, the birds, the bees, that's it, that's all. There have been 20 of us per day/per stretch. Glorious.

Can it be done with no training? Absolutely, but this is a lot of painful up and down, day after day. But know your limits and plan accordingly, and if you fear walking alone then maybe this is not the route for you, because alone you will be.

Good trekking shoes are all you need, plus clothes that dry quickly: the wind is so cold ot is hard for clothes to dry, and dombring layers and waterproof sunscreen: the sun is powerful. Alsomtake your sleeping back, it is not optional at these altitudes.

Best advice is get a book, study the distances between any stops and plan according to what your limits are, including leaving home at all.
Thank you for the information! I would like to walk alone, but wanted to make sure there are others on the camino because of the recent safety issues that are being posted regarding woman walking alone. I am in good shape and hike often….so not worried so much about that part….so a few layers, change of clothes, rain gear….what is the situation with water?
Buen Camino to you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Again JBF,

Safety: this camino is emptier than some of the others but I think you will find other pilgrims in June. There has been a recent report of a flasher just outside Oviedo. The walker made a police report. Anemone del Camino just responded to your post and she is walking now so she has the best up to date info. I think the Primitivo is as safe as anything these days. Are you staying at one of the albergues the night before you start? We are arriving at Hotel Vetusta on the evening of June 7, spending the day in Oviedo on the 8th and then starting our walk on the 9th. Personal message me if you are there on the 7th and want to get together for an early supper.

June on the Primitivo can be variable because of the elevation changes. I think the possibility of rain is great especially as you near Galicia at the end of the walk. Average low temps in June are in the 40's (Fahrenheit) and average high temps are in the high 60's to low 70's. It will be cooler at the higher elevations.

The path is well marked. The name Primitivo refers to the fact that this Camino was the "first Camino" walked by King Alfonse the Chaste when he first went to view the relics of St. James and commissioned the building of the cathedral at Santiago. It isn't a statement about the ruggedness of the trail. That said, this path goes through some fairly remote areas and is more rural than most caminos. It also is very hilly. What folks have said to me is that no single day is harder than the hilly days on the Frances but whole camino consists of hilly days on the Frances -- lots of up and down!

Hiking Boots or Sneakers? I would not walk in plain sneakers but there is LOTS of opinion on this. If you look in the equipment list on this forum you will see many opinions so you have to consider what you are used to. Here are my 2 cents: either walk in a pair of good trail runners or light weight/breathable hiking shoes. I use Merrill Moabs low rise boots. Others walk in sandals!

In terms of what to bring -- that's also a subject of great debate :rolleyes:. I think Anemone posted her packing list in this forum a couple weeks ago. Here's my packing list just FYI:

Liz's Camino Packing List
Outerwear
Osprey Kestral men's small Backpack
Altus Atmospheric Ultra Light Weight Rain Poncho
Fleece Vest Homemade PolarTech 100
Marmot rain/sun Hat
Manzella convertible running gloves
Merrill Moab hiking shoes
New Balance Minimus trainers
REI Trekking Poles
Dirty Girl Gaiters

sleeping eating drinking
Platypus Water system for backpack
2 liters of water
Sea to Summit Traveller TrI Sleeping Bag
Sea to Summit Aeros Ultralight Inflatable Pillow
homemade pillow case
spork
Cup
Ear plugs (2 pair)
eye cover

Clothes
2 REI short ankle socks
2 feetures regular socks
1 Lands End long sleeve turtleneck base layer shirt
2 Elia quick dry cami bras
3 Ex Officio underpants quick dry
1 Lolë quick dry sleeveless top
1 Lolë quick dry short sleeve top
1 REI Venturi Hiking Shorts
1 Columbia Saturday Trail Convertible Pants
1 Long sleeve button wind/sun vented shirt (homemade)
1 REI Webbed Belt
1 Montbell Zeo-line light weight tights
Sunglasses & protective cover
1 Bandanas

Toiletries & Laundry
Packlite Ultra light camp towel
1 Dr. Bronners Soap Bar (person, hair, laundry)
Soap Case
small hair brush
small toothpaste
toothbrush w/cover
small deoderant
spf 50 lip balm
sunscreen/lotion
razor
Sink stopper
8 small clothes pins
shower shoes
2 small hair clips
white beach glass earrings

Miscellaneous
sea to summit ultra light stuffable daypack
1 small LED flashlight
1 Sea to Summitt ultra sil medium stuff sacks (for clothes)
1 toiletries stuff bag
1 sea to summitt ultra sil small stuff sack (for small stuff)
Pilgrim Credential w/ cover + small journal
Passport purse, passport, credit cards, debit card

Technology
iPad mini
logitech ultralight keyboard/cover
tech cords: camera card reader, keyboard cord, ipad cord, fitbit cord, ear phones
iPad/Keyboard neoprene protective case
camera & small neoprene protective carrying case

Buen Camino!

Liz
Thank you so much!!! I think I will be there for the weekend before, but am not exactly 100% sure. I am planning on going ahead and following the route and steps that you laid out so graciously…it feels easy to just take that with…I will keep you posted on my plans :)

Thank you for the information! I would like to walk alone, but wanted to make sure there are others on the camino because of the recent safety issues that are being posted regarding woman walking alone. I am in good shape and hike often….so not worried so much about that part….so a few layers, change of clothes, rain gear….what is the situation with water?
Buen Camino to you!
Water, many options in some areas, not so much in others, but other than the Hospitales route I have been fine with 1.5 l at s time, mind you it has been a bit chilly here until the last few days. Just don't pass up,any oppotunity to replenish.

Here is my list. It was very adequate May 3 to May 15. A coupe of mornings I wore t-shirt, long sleeve shirt, hoody, vest, and rain jacket but the layers came off quickly, and temps should be warmer now. Every thing but the bug repellent got used. I would make some changes which I will indicate. Also I would go as synthetic and light as possible. My sleeping bag and backpack could have been lighter but I have limited shopping where I live.

45 L pack (could do with smaller)
hiking poles
sleeping bag (could have used a liner. Alberques were warm. We stayed in private rooms a lot.)
compression sac for sleeping bag
3 stuff sacs

runners gloves
rain jacket
rain pants
ultra light baseball cap and snap on apron
sunglasses
reading glasses

synthetic mid-weight hoody
ultra light vest for cold weather (polyester, lighter than down)
2 pairs merino light weight wool socks
1 synthetic t-shirt
1 cotton t-shirt (synthetic would be lighter)
1 long sleeve merino wool light weight shirt
1 zip off cargo pant
1 hiking skirt
1 tight
2 bras
2 quick dry underwear
light weight hikers (use trail runner instead)
runners (omit. My daughter walked in hers but did slip and fall once.)
flip flops (omit and buy a waterproof sandal that can be used for walking)

e-reader (a luxury)
50 ml shampoo
50 ml conditioner
100 ml body wash
100 ml laundry detergent (50 ml is enough. Places provided soap.)
safety pins for hanging things to dry and for keeping the bottoms of my pants out of mud
headlamp
tape for blisters
small piece glide for chafing
zip lock bag for garbage
1 L water bottle (also used to roll out sore muscles)
500 ml water bottle added on hot days (bought on route)
plastic fork and spoon
shovel
37 ml bug repellent (We did find a total of 4 ticks between us.)
tick remover (Very very small and light, but we didn't use it.)
small suntan lotion
small toothbrush
smallest toothpaste
small dental floss
nail clipper
tweezers
quick dry ultra lite towel
small sponge
medications
knee brace

neck pouch (which I carried either in zipped and buttoned pockets, or around neck)
money
cards
passport
copy of passport
guide (which we used twice. My daughter downloaded an app that was more useful.)
phrase book ( We found a translator via my daughter's phone more useful.)

If you pack too much ship ahead. I didn't see any places along the Primitivo to buy gear so I think it differs from the Francis in that way. No matter. There were many people along the way willing to help out. Enjoy.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

what book (s) do you recommend, we are headed this way May of 2016!

Don't bother getting the circerone one. That's the one we had and it only helped us out twice. My daughter ended up downloading a Primitivo App that another pilgrim recommeneded. Unfortunately I don't know which one but it was great because we could zoom in to any segment we were on, and it gave much more information. It weighted a lot less too!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you so much!!! I think I will be there for the weekend before, but am not exactly 100% sure. I am planning on going ahead and following the route and steps that you laid out so graciously…it feels easy to just take that with…I will keep you posted on my plans :)

Hi :) what was the app that you used? Any dog issues? Hehe
Don't bother getting the circerone one. That's the one we had and it only helped us out twice. My daughter ended up downloading a Primitivo App that another pilgrim recommeneded. Unfortunately I don't know which one but it was great because we could zoom in to any segment we were on, and it gave much more information. It weighted a lot less too!![/QUO

Hi Anna I would really appreciate it if you could let us know the name of the App you used
Thanks
Julie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
what book (s) do you recommend, we are headed this way May of 2016!

Hello Paulette S,

I finished walking the Primitivo last week.

I could have walked using only forum member ebrant's guide. Here's the link.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/final-version-of-my-primitivo-guide.31337/

I took the Cicerone guide but it was simply dead weight. ebrant's guide is just as good, if not better.

Here's my blog. It may help you.
https://jmcmil.wordpress.com/2015/06/14/camino-primitivo-may-june-2015/

Buen Camino

I'll second the praise for Liz Brandt's guide. All the practical information that you would need to plan and make the journey. The route is very well waymarked. I also had a PDF version of a tourist guide to the northern caminos - including the Primitivo - published by a group of provincial governments. Lots of historical information and some pretty pictures to whet the appetite while planning:
http://tourism.euskadi.eus/contenid...os/2011/santiago/Caminos del Norte INGLES.pdf

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back