• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ferrol to SDC May 2015

CW86

Time of past OR future Camino
Ingles
Hi,
A group of us are walking the Camino for the first time at the end of May. We all have our little worries, the main one being about if something happens to one of us while walking what is the best way to get help? We have done long distance walks in England and didn't find this as much of a problem but are more concerned due to the language barrier and perhaps not exactly knowing where we are.
Any advice?
Thanks
Clare

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For help throughout Europe in any emergency call 112. The operator who answers will speak/understand many languages and transfer your call to the nearest appropriate authorities. Even a smartphone off line can ring this number.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I found the people who live and work along the Camino route in Galicia are extremely friendly and helpful. People in their yards or in front of their houses would ask if we wanted water as we walked by, or would offer directions of where the path was going, or just stop to chat. We did take up one lady on an offer of water from her hose, another gentleman invited us to sit on his patio and offered us beer and olives, another lady let us use her bathroom as we chatted with her little boy in English, which he was learning in school. I even stopped a couple of people driving by to ask for location information (as I needed to call a taxi). But the best was when the driver of a bread delivery truck pulled up alongside me on a small road between Neda and Fene and gave me a couple of small wheat rolls because they were "bueno para caminar". There aren't that many remote spots along the route where you couldn't go forward or backtrack a bit to find a house or a road if the situation called for it. I hope this helps to set your mind at ease a bit. Buen Camino!!

Make a point of getting taxi numbers every day, just in case. How big is your group? You may need to book accommodation? Decide where you are going to each day and write it down. This can be useful when communicating with taxi drivers/locals. Perhaps order a copy of Sillydolls "Camino Lingo" book?

Thanks again. We are a group of 5 and have booked accommodation already thanks. Will look up that book though!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
... We all have our little worries, the main one being about if something happens to one of us while walking what is the best way to get help? ...

Call 112 (works even when your cell phone/mobile is low in funds/not roaming in properly) and they will connect you to an English speaking operator that sorts out your emergency. Buen Camino sin emergencias! SY

Well we did it!! No problems what so ever - an amazing experience! I'm already thinking of my next!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola

Would you mind giving details of your accommodation,please?
Going in September.
"jgtwort@yahoo.co.uk"

Thanks
Hi
We used a company to book our accommodation, all hotels
We stayed in Ferrol the night before we started at HOTEL CARRIS ALMIRANTE
In Pontedeume we stayed in HOTEL APARTAMENTOS SARGA (This hotel was located just before the bridge going over to Pontedeume which we realised as we had already crossed it so had to go back over)
In Betanzos we stayed in HOTEL GARELOS - a family run hotel
We then went past Bruma and stayed in St Paio de Buscas - a tiny village! 2 bars, a farm, a church and the hotel we stayed in which was stunning - CASA RURAL DONA MARIA
Our next stop was Marnates and we stayed at HOTEL SAN VICENTE - which you can get to through the back garden when you see the sign without going past and round the front as we did.
In SDC we stayed in HOTEL HERRADURA.

All in great locations along our route. As I said we used a company to book these hotels, some of the group also got their bags transferred, and they provided a route booklet too, but it was so well marked you could do it without. We stumbled once in Siguiera but a local shop keeper pointed out the way. All really good hotels, we just had bed and breakfast in most. In St Paio and Marantes though we ate dinner in the hotels for extra and the owner in St Paio provided a toasted sandwich and fruit for us when we asked as the next place to get something is 20km away. Marantes is only about 12km away from SDC and we made it in time for the pilgrim mass at noon.

If you need any more information I'd be glad to share more with you.

Clare

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.