• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Join me on a virtual camino walk this summer?

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Enjoying the camino since 2009
I'm sitting here on a Friday night, watching TV and wishing I was sitting in a brown bar in Northern Spain with tired legs, full tummy and what's left of a bottle of vino medicino, sharing it with my pilgrim friends old and new. The weight I lost in Galicia has found its way back to me and I've mislaid the plans for a more active lifestyle somewhere under all my deadlines. If I'm not there, I can't seem to keep the momentum going. I'm sure there are many others out there who feel the same way after their walk, or who are anxious to go and feel they haven't got enough training miles in. Or maybe motivating yourself is just ... not happening.

So I was thinking: What if we got together, here on the forum, and started walking ... let's say the *sigh* Brierley stages from St Jean this summer? Let's pretend, while walking briskly or slowly around in our different countries and neighbourhoods, on treadmills or outside, that we are indeed on our way from one Spanish town to another! I intend to start the same way I did in 2012, by walking to Orisson on the first day. 8 kms. Easy enough, and I'll walk it flat instead of uphill to be gentler on my knees. Then the next day 19 kms to get to a virtual Roncesvalles. Oh, and let's stop in Pamplona and not just walk through it! Let's walk with a pack and take our rain gear, because when you walk a camino you can't just not go because it's raining. It's great for gear testing too - have you got the right shoes, do you know how to deal with blisters, does that T-shirt smell if you wash and wear it every day for a week? - and of course there will be resting days as and when you want them. Walk one stage every day, one stage a week, whatever suits you.

I know it sounds weird, but for me it is much easier to get stuff done with some peer pressure and some measurable goals and this plan has both. I might even read up on some of the places I 'stop'! Obviously you are allowed to stop at watering holes along the way, and I'll probably cook some black lentil soup at one point. Or take a bocadillo (with tomato) for lunch - and remember that s/he who walks far is allowed emergency chocolate :D

I was thinking of starting in June to get some sun to walk in.

Anyone want to join me?

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@Waka and I are walking to Orisson tomorrow. 8 kms, then having a rest on the decking overlooking the Pyrenees - google it if you haven't been there (yet)! What a way to start a camino adventure! Make sure you have snacks and water for the next stage though in case there is no virtual Man in a Van on the Mountain :D

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sounds a great idea.... I have to say that as I have been meaning to do it. I have just today finished a 90 day virtual tour of Spain and would love to set out again. http://thisisspain.info/90-days/

Check recent posts also as a French pilgrim has a similar idea.

Five years ago I did a day to day diary www.theshirt2010.co.uk - is that the type of thing that you are thinking of?

Count me in ..... me apunto

S

@Waka and I are walking to Orisson tomorrow. 8 kms, then having a rest on the decking overlooking the Pyrenees - google it if you haven't been there (yet)! What a way to start a camino adventure! Make sure you have snacks and water for the next stage though in case there is no virtual Man in a Van on the Mountain :D

I'm in!!! I only fairly recently decided to go back and walk from St Jean to Burgos this year and I'm woefully behind with my training so this is perfect for me!

Talk about the Camino will provide! It seems it does so even before I get there, virtual walking partners ... brilliant! Looking forward to great weather and views, are we starting early? ;)

Buen Camino, Sarah

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
let's say the *sigh* Brierley stages from St Jean this summer
It's a bit late for summer here in the antipodes, but I will happily join you. I'm on track for about 21km today - which might might see me reach the Col de Lepoeder and camping out tonight! Right now, I am enjoying the view at Pic D'Orisson.

Such a great idea!
I'm with you and @Waka tomorrow...because I could really use the encouragement. Been a slug lately...need less time here and more on my feet.;)
I'll likely bail out after the 5th of June, when I set out on for a journey in Ladakh, in Northern India. But til then, I have have HAVE to keep walking, otherwise those mountains will make mincemeat of me. 5000 m passes, anyone?:eek::eek::eek:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would......but I'll be walking form Porto to Santiago from June 6. If you get overwhelmed with the bed race on the Frances, maybe you could detour to the Portuguese. I'll be blogging every day - happy to share your lodgings and food for the day via photos if you like;-) One caveat - this "tour" will only be for those taking their time to smell the roses. Our plan is to NOT walk too far each day and to stop in lots of bars along the way and have a good nosey round each place we stop.
When we get back at the end of June I'd be happy to join you all on the Frances - but I'll be so far behind that I'll never catch you!

Anyone here yet? Which table should I wait for you folks?
56975199.jpg

You're quick! It's only 07.45 in the UK! I'm just on my first cafe au lait, but I'll be up soon.:D Is the weather good?

I love this bit even though its hard, is it weird to enjoy the difficult bits just for the sheer pleasure that you know you 'did it'?

Sarah :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ok but be sure to use your bell early enough! Don't scare the living daylights out of us when you're up close as we might jump the wrong way! :(

I don't mind the lycra so much! :rolleyes:

It's so beautiful here, sunny and warm, I've got to remind myself to drink enough water, didn't have a camelbak last time and it's really working for me, it's even fun learning to pick up the bite valve from the magnetty bit and put it back without using my hands!!! Yeah I know, small things etc......

I love the cows here, they're the same colour as my beautiful lemon beagle so I call them Lilly cows! ...... I love virtual walking.... can think and meditate a bit ... Ooooo
a Griffon Vulture! No relation!

Getting a bit 'puffed' now its quite steep here best get back to concentrating on what I'm doing.

Sarah, on Virtual Camino! :):D:cool:

Wow, I have been, er, in private accommodation and didn't get chased out of bed by bag rustlers or hospitalera/os this morning - it's a short day, no need to hurry - so I have only just logged on. I never expected this fantastic response and I am so happy you are all out walking 'with me'! Just having a quick breakfast of tostada with Portuguese style spicy sardine and tomato paste and a cuppa and I'm out! Got my café con leche stop planned, my daypack packed, filter bottle filled, PacerPoles at the ready and walking clothes on. Did we say the table in the left corner?

Sorry folks, but it's my first day out and had a very early start. The coffee did the trick and I'm gonna take a shot at Roncesvalles. I might make in before nightfall. I heard that there are some pilgrims from Ottawa just ahead of me. Feet are good. I'll keep an eye out for dougfitz.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yep table on the left corner , best views. I'll save you a seat. What colour is you backpack?

Sorry to have missed you jgnome but I promised myself a stay in Orisson the next time around as I did the big hill in a 'oner' last time. Beautiful day isn't it? Loving the sound of my feet on the path and birdsong, skylarks I think? Say hi to dougfitz and have a great rest of the day.

Hey nidarosa have you seen waka yet? Thought he was 'walking' with us today? o_O

@Griffin57 won't be long now, the weather is lovely and I am taking my time, stopping for a cerveza and some chorizo crisps en route. My daypack Daysie is green and I've got my pacerpoles with me. Haven't seen any cows but some horses and lots of happy birds. Are we staying for the communal meal? It is gorgeous! Not seen @Waka, he should be here somewhere.

Community meal definitely,they're the best. Never stayed in Orisson before what will we be having? Only had a coffee and my first Tarte Santiago last time. Is it usually a set meal? Like its always fish at the restaurant near Roncesvalles?

Ah will have to re-install Instagram on my iphone.

Hi guys, sorry I’m running a bit late, had to catch a flight from Johannesburg. If I can get the next bus, and leg it up the hill, I should be in Orisson in time for supper. See you! Jill

No worries @jsalt, we've done our laundry for the day and are just chilling waiting for the meal now. Don't do yourself an injury running up the hill! @Griffin57 The meal will be pork fillet steaks, a bean stew, bread, water and wine as I remember - all very yummy and good walking food for tomorrow's ups and downs!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yummy! Dessert? Or should I say Postre? I'm a bit weird as I've said before but I like the downs! Almost as much as the flat bits! Can we get food for tomorrow or do we have to rely on what we brought from St Jean?

See you soon Jill its so great being in the Pyrenees with like minded people, pilgrims are fab! :D

Well, there will be dessert - flan? - and then tomorrow a breakfast of (in my opinion not very walking friendly) toast and jam plus fruit, and yes, you can buy a bocadillo from them but it will be a bit dry so top tip: ask to drizzle some oil on it before you go or pay a bit extra for tomato slices if they have any. Other than that there is the Man in the Van on the Mountain, he sells bananas, juice, water, coffee, hard boiled eggs! and chocolate so you should be fine. The hill down to Roncesvalles will answer once and for all the burning question: Are my shoes big enough? as you will have black toenails if they are not. Oh and remember to book your place at the restaurant for the early or late sitting or you will have no evening meal ... Also as this is a virtual camino everybody gets a bottom bunk!!! (This trip down memory lane is great!)

Flight delays and tight connections, so my pack did not arrive with me (should have listened here, alas). Hanging at SJPP and they assure me it will be here in a few hours. There's a growing sliver of moonlight these nights and I know the way...so when it comes, I'm off. Someone crack the door open will you? Don't want to make a racket and wake everyone up!

You won't wake me I have great earplugs! Looking forward to anther great walk tomorrow! Weather behaving well for us. :) I love a bottom bunk specially if there's no-one in the top one! I guess we can have bottom bunks all the way?

Packing my bag tonight so no rustling in the morning, won't bother with breakfast or bocadillo as can't eat bread. Need to remember to take more pics tomorrow, love looking at them when I get home.

Oh, I thought of something on my (actual) walk today: Since i will be walking along the same route most of the time to make up my etapas, I was worried that it would be boring. After all, that's why I can't seem to motivate myself, I have mainly that same though lovely walk to train on. So today I started listening to podcasts and audioplays on my iPod and hardly noticed my surroundings at times. Just a tip in case you feel tired of the same walking path!

Made it to Roncesvalles and am I ever tired ! Met up with the Canadians -- soo enjoyable! I would be keen to meet up with dougfitz in Viskarret around lunch time. Not sure I can track him down in the morning. My feet will be sore!

11282293_887928734599260_1343000427_n.jpg

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So I made it to Espinal, and caught up with someone for lunch instead of keeping going. Brilliant clear day, but just a bit icy this morning, and had a couple of slips and people missing their footing. Will probably stay here tonight and push on slowly during the week, ready for another big push next weekend.

Di
Sorry gals about bailing on you -- first time for me and from where i am now. I bit off a little toooo much.

So, how was dinner? :)
Dinner was great, good food and great company! Oh how we laughed:D:D:D Communal meals are the best and I will be actively seeking to stay in Alberges where pilgrims eat together, one of the most important bits of the camino for me. That and having some good food and wine that you have 'earned' by all the physical effort you have made during the day. Its what our bodies were made for? To move ...... lots and then to be nourished .
Ok big day for me today, up and over that mountain to the super efficient 'Ikea hostel'. Weather not so great but I've a feeling it will get better as the day goes on.

As the saying goes Ultreia y suseia...... Onwards and most definitely upwards!!! o_O:):D

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So jealous of you pilgrims who have already started. I'm off to Decathlon today to get bike parts and a cycling helmet for my virtual Camino. Twelve more sleeps. Getting nervous.

So jealous of you pilgrims who have already started. I'm off to Decathlon today to get bike parts and a cycling helmet for my virtual Camino. Twelve more sleeps. Getting nervous.
Bah! you're on a bike! you will catch us up, overtake and get there way before us! Maybe we can meet up somewhere?

Looks like I'll be camping on the mountain before the descent to Roncesvalles tonight (due to a deadline tomorrow). Luckily I have a virtual tent, mat and sleeping bag, and the bocadillo from Orisson, so I'll be fine. I wasn't planning to start until June so I might have to stay here until Tuesday ... but then I was thinking about Larrasoaña, I've never been there before!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
but then I was thinking about Larrasoaña, I've never been there before!
I've also never stayed at Larrasoana, and I hear there's a new albergue there; shall we try it out?

Absolutely! I have a route planned that would take me there in a (long) day and will google the albergue just to add to the virtual experience :D Also I have just been out to the shop to get chicken and prawns for a great paella for tonight!

oooooh what a day! Loooooong walk!Up and up and even more UP! But then the blissful down! I finally made it to Roncesvalles, looks like I'm on my own??? Lots of trout for me then!

Sorry I missed you guys was just lost in my walking, sometimes get myself caught up in the sheer physical activity of it, there's a book I think called 'In movement there is peace'? I think I have it on my Kindle, that's how I feel sometimes, active but peaceful at the same time?

I'm going to Zubiri tomorrow, I like the Palo de Avellano Alberge, I will have a flat bed, steaming hot shower and really good food, reminds me of ski hut somehow? You should try it if you have never stayed there, its excellent. Last time I met up with Olafia from Iceland, we had spoken to each other on the forum a few times and hoped to catch each other in St Jean. So I had to look up,the Icelandic flag that she was supposed to have on her backpack ..... glued.... it fell off! We were walking together for 2 days on and off and didn't even know it! She was much stronger and faster than me but we met again three or four times before she was last seen hairing off to the west in search of Santiago, on a time limit.

Where's everyone else on this virtual camino?

Saraho_O Roncesvalles is strangely quiet???

Can't sleep and I'm exhausted from the effort of the first day. Made it Zubiri staying at Suseia -- not bad. Did laundry. Surfing the Internet until I fall asleep :) Aiming for Pamplona tomorrow likely at HostelHemingway for the first night -- need an extra day of rest with wine :D and give some of you time to catch up ;)

How is everyone else feeling?

Last edited:
Morning everyone! Bit stiff this morning, doing the old 'camino shuffle' need to stretch a bit. :rolleyes:
I'm a bit like you jgnome, even though I'm physically tired I find it difficult to switch off my buzzing 'monkey mind'.

Hey dougfitz, do you bring vegemite with you when you travel? Is it virtual vegemite? Heavy to carry? I'm having huevos and fruit on the way and looking for a cafe con leche.

Pampalona for me tomorrow, have never stayed in Hostal Hemingway, whats it like? Stayed in Casa Paderborn last time, nice German hosts, good breakfast. I'm a bit rubbish at uploading photos but will see if I can find the one I took there that said 'please do not be putting massive objects down the toilet'!!!:D:D:D

Happy walking everyone, now where did I put my poles? :oops::rolleyes::)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I arrived early enough in Zubiri to avoid the overflow in the municipal albergue. On my first pilgrimage, I was the first into the gym on a pretty brisk spring night in early April. I really appreciated carrying a sleeping bag that night.

Hi guys, I'm in Zubiri too, it's Pamplona tomorrow. Lovely walk today, met a 75 year old German man who told me all about his 2 new titanium knees! On his second camino and brought his wife this time, she didn't look too thrilled. :( Great scenery and my feet are feeling good.
Had a lovely shower, hand washed my laundry and now watching it dry with a super cold Cola Light. Life is so good on the virtual Camino!
Sarah ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just discovered this, what a great idea! Can't join you as I'm off soon but I'm in for the next time!!!
Buen camino all :D

Another short walk in the early morning chill, and now having breakfast in Larrasoana. It was one of my lessons learnt when I didn't stop here when I walked here in 2010. I thought I would find somewhere to eat a bit further on, but it wasn't until I reached Trinidad de Arre around lunchtime that I found somewhere open for a coffee. Not this time!

I'm not a coffee drinker at home but I do get into the habit on camino. Gets the motor running. Heading towards Pamplona today but not sure if I feel like staying in the city? Will see when I get there, may keep going a bit further?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It was a pretty slow day today, and only got 11.6km of walking in overall. So I am stuck just the other side Zurian for the night. I don't know how that will go.

Late news - managed to do a little more, and arrived at Zabaldica. At least I won't be sleeping in the fields tonight.

Last edited:
I finally made it to Roncesvalles last night so I am a bit behind, but as soon as I have got this bit of work out of the way I should be on the road again! Being self employed with flexible hours can be a blessing or a curse, time wise. But just like in 2012 I am in no hurry, the way is there to be enjoyed. I keep thinking about the potted shrimps I will have for lunch on my way to 'Zubiri' tomorrow though ... and I might actually make it to Larrasoana. I am also looking forward to having a stop in Trinidad - I loved the albergue there and always said I would stay there next time too, making a very short day into Pamplona. Oh and since this is a virtual camino oI am staying in Paradors when I can!

I also find this a very good planning tool even for virtual caminos, you can decide where you are depending on how far you have walked that day: Link to distance calculator here

Did you ever wonder why so many villages in Spain begin with the letter Z?
I was still a little undecided walking into Pamplona whether I would stay? I think I will, its off the stages. I was told the big Alberge can be noisy? Will seek something smaller, not sure about Paradors but will most definitely be looking for places that have a bathtub sometimes! The ultimate treat!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Did you ever wonder why so many villages in Spain begin with the letter Z?
I was still a little undecided walking into Pamplona whether I would stay? I think I will, its off the stages. I was told the big Alberge can be noisy? Will seek something smaller, not sure about Paradors but will most definitely be looking for places that have a bathtub sometimes! The ultimate treat!

It's true in the Basque Country many villages begin with Z, but not too many in the rest of Spain. In Galicia, for instance, I only remember one in this moment: Zas.
I think that the reason is the Euskera language in the Basque Country.

Lots of poking around Pamplona today, met some interesting pilgrams and chatted over some beers. Not sure if I want to stay another day to play:rolleyes:. I'll decide tomorrow based on how much vigor has returned.

Walked into the outskirts of Pamplona this morning. Another crisp morning with a few clouds but no sign of rain. Took my time getting to the Cathedral, Plaza de Torres and then across to the Plaza del Castillo for lunch. I am giving myself a treat tonight and staying in the Hotel Tres Reyes after my rough night last night. @jgnome, I kept an eye out for you, but didn't spot you. I guess that's the problem with larger cities!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
How on earth am I ever going to catch up with you lot? Is 'bus-ing' it allowed on this virtual camino? Heaven forbid!!
Let's say I am stuck in St Jean PdP for.. a while :D

Oh @domigee I am falling behind too! (Well I was planning on starting in June but everybody just grabbed their pre-packed bags and legged it ...) You're very welcome to walk with me on Friday when this working week is over?

Ya-ah! Let's do that!
I knooooow it was supposed to start in June, tss, those dawn risers who want to pick the best beds :D:D;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Far be it from me to stop anyone from walking a camino, virtual or otherwise, but I just have to work when work is there - this is one of the reasons I can't actually pack my bag and go to Spain right now. I really want to and need to walk more, but I will need 'rest days' now and again. And I refuse to take part in a bed race :D Right, I shall work my little 1000 mile socks off today and make a good walking buffer for myself. The rest are in and around Pamplona already - any bedbugs?

Noooooo bedbugs! Bedbugs do not exist on virtual camino! Nor do blisters!
Not usually keen to take days off on camino usually prefer short walks but decided to make an exception and stay another day in Pamplona.
Good to explore without carrying a backpack.

It was a hard choice this morning between having breakfast at Hotel Tres Reyes or heading for the bar at Cizur Menor where I ate breakfast last time I walked here. The hotel won, and I am now on the road. Tonight? Zariquiegui perhaps? We will see.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
still mooching around Pamplona for a bit and a slow walk to Cizur Minur, looking forward to tomorrow on my way towards Alto de Perdon, some of my very favourite scenery. Makes me wish I was a better photographer.
Anyone else still out here?
Sarah

I have arrived at Muruzabal early, and now must decide whether to walk to Eunate or head straight to Obanos. The view from Alto de Perdon this morning was absolutely stunning. Looking back over Cizur Menor and Pamplona with the Pyrenees in the background. Its hard to believe that I have walked all of that over the past few days, but my feet are telling me so. No blisters so far, but it is good to stop each evening and get the weight off my feet.

Last edited:
Selection_018.png
Finally staggered :cool: out of Pamplona and am staying at Camino del Perdon in Uterga. Met some more Canadians. The extra time in Pamplona solved the tiredness but added a wee hangover.

I had a delightful breakfast before I left this morning, and have pushed on for a couple of hours. I have just crossed the rio Saldo and should be in Lorca shortly for a mid-morning coffee. If I don't get too distracted, I should be able to get to Estella today. Is anyone else going to be there tonight?

Hi - I started reading all of this last night, enjoying the idea a lot, and thanks to a very slow mechanic today got inspired to walk 4.5 miles whilst waiting for my car. So I'm not quite sure how far up the hill I am, almost to Orisson, I think, and the weather is great. I'll catch up with you all as soon as I can. I check the weather daily on my phone, so know that those of you who are ahead have got great weather through the weekend. Hopefully I'll make it to Roncevalles tomorrow. Buen camino!

Hi cherrys, lovely to have you on the 'virtual team' :) we are all spread out walking our own pace so just do what you can.

I'm off to walk my favorite bit of the camino today, I love the wide open vista going up to Alto de Perdon, it's so 'unenglish', by that I mean so different to my usual walking areas. Love the little villages with white houses and the church steeple and cypress trees, I don't have those where I live. The mountains/hills over to the right that look a bit like cliffs? So beautiful! If I were an artist I would stay and paint this scene over and over.

Not sure where I'll get to tonight, just enjoying the moment. :):D:)

Hi @cherrys and welcome! You'll probably catch me up soon, as work keeps interfering with my walk time. However today am I back on the road! Not one for an early start though (on or off the camino) so I have to finish my coffee first and then get the train to my usual walking route. I am hoping to end up in Larrasoana because I've never stayed there before, virtual or otherwise. Bringing my my Rother guide to inform me of the terrain and sights en route!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Zubiri at last! The real terrain might be harder but today's walk was still good exercise. Great weather and when it clouded over I almost wished it would rain so I could test the poncho/pacerpoles combo!

I think I was slowed down today by the early morning visit to Monasterio Irache! It resulted in somewhat slower progress that I might have hoped for, so tonight I am staying at Villamayor de Monjardin. I walked on past here last time, so I have not idea what to expect tonight.

Hunkered down at Albergue Juvenil Oncineda for the night. Poked around Estella most of the day.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I woke up this morning with really bad hips even though I used my Pacer Poles all day yesterday. I was hoping that would help but sadly it seems not. Looks like I'll have to do shorter etapas if I want to walk much at all!

@nidarosa sorry to hear that you are suffering :( short is better than nothing??
Took the Eunate detour today as I didn't last time! On actual annual leave this week so, as we say in the North West of England I will be 'cracking on'!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@dougfitz, I think the idea that they support me or the feeling that they do made me go a little bit further than I would have done without them, to be honest. And it did feel better at the time, like they did take some of the weight off the worst hip. I mainly use them to avoid hand swelling, maybe I should try without them and see how that goes. Never had a problem on the camino, maybe I just need to go to Spain? Or drink more wine? :rolleyes:

Well, I decided to whiz by Los Arcos and make for Sansol for some much needed rest from my Camino partyers. Feet and legs are good. Love the scenery.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@jgnome, I have missed you again. I am staying in Los Arcos this evening. I was tempted to stop at casa de Austria, where I stayed in 2010, but have pushed on to the municipal on the other side of town, Isaac Santiago. I recall that the non-Catholic pilgrims were made especially welcome at the Mass here last time, and I will go down to the church early for a little quiet reflection beforehand and listen to the parishioners praying the Rosary before the service starts. I am not sure that I will be one of the party-ers that you are avoiding, but I hope to get an early start tomorrow and stop around Viana.

Untitled.png
@jgnome, I have missed you again. I am staying in Los Arcos this evening. I was tempted to stop at casa de Austria, where I stayed in 2010, but have pushed on to the municipal on the other side of town, Isaac Santiago. I recall that the non-Catholic pilgrims were made especially welcome at the Mass here last time, and I will go down to the church early for a little quiet reflection beforehand and listen to the parishioners praying the Rosary before the service starts. I am not sure that I will be one of the party-ers that you are avoiding, but I hope to get an early start tomorrow and stop around Viana.
It would be fun to meet up and spend at least half a day walking and comparing notes. This area I'm finding good for chatting as you don't have to be too mindful of your steps.

Last edited:
The joy of joining you from the antipodes is that while others might be enjoying summer weather, it was a brisk -6 deg C this morning when I set out. The plus is that it is better to keep going to keep warm than stop. I have reached the Ermita de Nuestra Senora del Poyo, and will keep going. Keep an eye open for the shivering Aussie, all of you who are having a warm walk!

It's not that much bettering the UK! Flaming June - no way I had 4 layers on and was still freezing, a little better once is climbed a hill for about 30 minutes, but seriously the UK does not seem to be having a summer this year! Not up North anyway.
I'm still off out again though, will report how far I get later.
Does anyone know if Casa de Magica is still open in Villatuerta? I read it was up for sale? I do love a place that has no bunks and a lovely homemade Paella.
I'm off then

Does anyone know if Casa de Magica is still open in Villatuerta? I read it was up for sale? I do love a place that has no bunks and a lovely homemade Paella.
I'm off then

I love it too! Their web is still up so all appears ok.

Buen camino!

Brilliant but chilly morning for an early start. I have not quite reached Logrono, but I have crossed into La Rioja. It was wonderful walking in Navarre, but I am looking forward to a few days in another wonderful region of Spain.

Arrived in Ventosa and booked a room for a couple nights at Casona De Las Aguedas to poke around for a couple of days. Will check out the wine situation ;)

I am so glad you are still walking even though I feel like a bit of an idiot not being able to do it myself just now. I suppose even virtual caminos have their lessons - in my case to follow my own advice and start slowly to avoid unnecessary injury. :oops: While mending I have done some more camino related research - let us know what you learn about the wine situation, @jgnome - and made notes in my guide book for my next live walk. Next I shall be taking a short stroll to 'Larrasoana' , hopefully tomorrow, and will take it slowly from now on!

@nidarosa,located 3 wineries here so far - gonna check out Bodegas Alvia in the morning but tasting some samples in Cafe-Bar Buen Camino speaking with some locals in my very poor Spanish.

Last night was a hotel night on the western outskirts of Logrono. Nice early morning walk this morning to Alto Grajera.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@nidarosa,located 3 wineries here so far - gonna check out Bodegas Alvia in the morning but tasting some samples in Cafe-Bar Buen Camino speaking with some locals in my very poor Spanish.

I'm back had no.... wee-fee! 26km since last post so now at Los Arcos. Heard good things about Casa de Abuela? Couldn't get a bed last time, was completo, will give it a go.

New, New Balance shoes breaking in nicely, good toe box and liking the gel insoles. Just my socks to work on, the two types of merino that I've used in the last few days seem too hot and thick? Back to the drawing board, any suggestions? Have looked at the sock threads, thinking Thurlo??
Sarah

€83,-
I am in Ventosa looking for @jgnome. I missed him last time we crossed paths, and haven't seen him yet, but there aren't many people around at present. The cafe/bar I am at has just opened for the day, and there are a couple of workers here chatting, but no other pilgrims yet. Yesterday I managed to reach Navarette and stayed there. This morning's walk was a gentle amble with my mind wandering forward to cafe and tostada. I will be happy to reach Najera tonight, although it might be a bit of a push to get the distance up. There are so many other things to get finished today so that I can enjoy the local public holiday on Monday. Watch out, though. I have friends who want to challenge themselves with a 26+ km walk, and I could get past Belorado over the weekend.

I had hoped to walk with you guys for a couple of weeks before we zip down to Porto to walk from there....as it turns out, I must still be stuck in SJPdP....I have not taken one walk since this thread was started....and we leave (in Actual Real Life) for Lisbon tomorrow. I guess I'm hoping my residual fitness from the 100km Oxfam walk I did a few weeks back will carry me to Santiago! At least this time I won't have to walk 100 in 27 hours! Either this will be proof that there truly are many ways to walk a camino (including doing it without any training) or soon I will be regretting not getting out in the Antipodean freeze and rain.

Well, after a short stay in Ventosa, I made my way all the way to Najera yesterday, and enjoyed the delights of the big albergue by the river.

Today was a classic three part day. Up early and off to Azofra for breakfast and a break, then a long push to Ciruena, and finally I arrived at Santo Domingo de Calzada. I really enjoyed sitting eating the lunch I had packed looking back from the top of the climb in Ciruena. I had forgotten what a slog it involves, and was glad for the chance to sit and rest.

Getting to Santo Domingo was fundamentally bad planning on my part, as I had been toying with the idea of staying in Granon again, but now I am too close for that. Worse, in my real life I am competing in a race-walk tomorrow, and the distance will take me to Viloria de la Rioja on my virtual camino. It looks like that will make it difficult to stay in some of the other less well frequented places on this stretch.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
@ dougfitz Good luck with your race walk.
My new Fitbit Zip tells me I only made it as far as Torres del Rio yesterday! Finding it very motivating and will make at least Viana today? Was hoping for Logrono but sometimes real life can get in the way of your virtual camino!!! :rolleyes:

Talking of real life I have had an amazing week, almost got blown off a Welsh mountain! well actually no not really big enough to call a mountain.... a hill really but a bit scary, very big gusts of wind! Had to hunker down for a bit till gusts died down.
I started this virtual camino to relieve the boredom of the same training walks that I normally do, but due to some timely annual leave have been able to go further afield, including several lovely walks in the Lakes, about an hour from where I live. Climbed Loughrigg and Wansfell and may have time for a couple of the other Wainrights before I have to go back and do that stuff called 'work'!

Visited my daughter who has recently moved to Chester, BEAUTIFUL city! If you ever make it to the Cathedral take the 'Heights' tour and hope you get Ian as your guide who is so knowledgeable and entertaining. Fairly simple Cathedral that was formally a monastery with 48 Benedictine monks, not a patch on any of the camino cathedrals but lovely nonetheless.:)
Still 103 days till my actual camino will need to start increasing weight in my backpack which was one of my biggest mistakes before, not enough training with pack.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back