• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Panicking...

tillyjones

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances June 2015
VDLP May 2017
del Norte Sept 2018
Hello. I made a relatively impromptu decision to do the Camino when I lost my job three weeks ago. I had felt that I didn't need to worry about too much (and even as I write this, I realize that there will be plenty of people to ask along the way, so I probably still don't need to worry) but I've been reading some of these forum posts today and getting panicky at all of the things I haven't thought about or planned or learned. I just sort of thought I'd pack a bag, find my way to SJPP and start walking. I'm outdoorsy and used to travelling off the beaten track so wasn't too concerned about gear, though I'm starting to panicky about that as well.

I booked a flight to Paris. I plan to take the train to Bayonne (have not booked that - wasn't planning on it). Looks like I will miss the last train for the day so will plan to overnight in Bayonne (haven't booked that but probably will) and take the morning train to SJPP and was going to head out from there late morning for Orisson for the first day. But now I'm reading about reservations... You need reservations on the route?? I had no idea!

Are there other things I should be more prepared for than I am.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm sure you'll be fine! You need a reservation for Orisson to be sure you get a bed there, other than that you don't need reservations for the route as such and not really for your accommodation along the way either. There is always a bed somewhere and not booking beforehand gives you much more freedom and flexibility!

No worries. I did my first Camino on an impromptu decision. Flew to Paris and took the train down to SJPdP same as you are and just started walking.
That albergue in Orisson gets filled up quite quickly, but other that that you don't need reservations walking the Camino. You don't even need to stay in Orisson.
I know members on this forum tend to over-plan things way too much, but you could actually show up in SJPdP with no equipment, buy some there and start walking. I know some on here consider that to be a blasphemous statement :D, but it's true.
Don't over-think it. Just have fun.
cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
No worries. I did my first Camino on an impromptu decision. Flew to Paris and took the train down to SJPdP same as you are and just started walking.
That albergue in Orisson gets filled up quite quickly, but other that that you don't need reservations walking the Camino. You don't even need to stay in Orisson.
I know members on this forum tend to over-plan things way too much, but you could actually show up in SJPdP with no equipment, buy some there and start walking. I know some on here consider that to be blasphemous statement :D, but it's true.
Don't over-think it. Just have fun.
cheers

Love it! You're speaking my language!

Hello. I made a relatively impromptu decision to do the Camino when I lost my job three weeks ago. I had felt that I didn't need to worry about too much (and even as I write this, I realize that there will be plenty of people to ask along the way, so I probably still don't need to worry) but I've been reading some of these forum posts today and getting panicky at all of the things I haven't thought about or planned or learned. I just sort of thought I'd pack a bag, find my way to SJPP and start walking. I'm outdoorsy and used to travelling off the beaten track so wasn't too concerned about gear, though I'm starting to panicky about that as well.
I booked a flight to Paris. I plan to take the train to Bayonne (have not booked that - wasn't planning on it). Looks like I will miss the last train for the day so will plan to overnight in Bayonne (haven't booked that but probably will) and take the morning train to SJPP and was going to head out from there late morning for Orisson for the first day. But now I'm reading about reservations... You need reservations on the route?? I had no idea!
Welcome Tillyjones, and yes: Pack a bag, find your way to SJPP and start walking! That is all there is, don't pay any attention to the endless quivering on the forum. Good shoes, as light a bag as possible, that's all, anything that you don't have with you can be purchased on the way, if really necessary (Chances are, they are not) Go for it and try not to browse the forum on the last remaining days before departing. Remember, you're walking your own personal camino.
And this is what you will have: A buen camino!

Welcome Tillyjones, and yes: Pack a bag, find your way to SJPP and start walking! That is all there is, don't pay any attention to the endless quivering on the forum. Good shoes, as light a bag as possible, that's all, anything that you don't have with you can be purchased on the way, if really necessary (Chances are, they are not) Go for it and try not to browse the forum on the last remaining days before departing. Remember, you're walking your own personal camino.
And this is what you will have: A buen camino!

Thanks Pano! I think I was on the right track. It was browsing the forums in the last remaining days that got me worked up....I'm going to stick with plan A...wing it!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

This...
Totally inspiring: "pack a bag, find my way to SJPP and start walking"

Because that's what a pilgrimage is all about. When the timing is right - pack the bag and book the tickets, just like people did in the old days. Bring what you need for three days, and be prepared to wash-up almost every evening, just like when you are traveling off the beaten track.
The tricky part is to walk long distances every day for so many days...

Also, the Camino is in Spain, not a remote place off track in the middle of nowhere. There has to be an excellent infrastructure of accommodation, supermercados and abundance of places to eat, else the Camino wouldn't be so popular among the Spanish people :)

Buen Camino,
Michael

Last edited:
There used to be a saying, that "sudden prayers make God jump" , Santiago is used to surprises. You'll be fine. Start slowly, seriously, honestly, I'm not being flippant. Start slowly. Few of us out-doorsy, fairly fit types walk thirty days on the trot without hurting.

Oh, and Bayonne is a fabulous city to spend a night (or two) in; Orrisson isn't a compulsory first stop; Napoleon's isn't the only route, Valcarlos is a great place to start your transition to Camino; and from the sound of it you are in the perfect frame of mind to have a great Camino: you really want to do it and you are a little bit scared.

Oh, and Buen Camino :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
@tillyjones
Tincatinker already mentioned that Napoleon (Orisson) route isn't the only one. Albergue in Valcarlos is much less visited.

If you'll really miss last train to SJPdP you can share a taxi or stay for the night in Bayonne. There's a nice little hotel across the street from Bayonne train station:
http://hotel-montecarlo.allcommerces.com/

You'll be fine!

Ha ha! I was like you, just packing my bag to go, when a friend came over and gave some advice about what to pack - and I panicked! I hadn't thought about that. So I bought some gear - some of it I never used, just had to lug around, some of it I lost (the walking poles) and some of it I was eternally grateful to have been told about - specifically to buy trekking pants that dry quickly, and tshirts that also dry quickly, to buy trekking shoes 2 sizes larger than my foot (no toe pain going downhill, and for me not one blister!!), and to take an elastic washing line with safety pins (for the wind). Also to make sure my Swiss army knife had a corkscrew as most wine bottles come with corks there. They were the things I was really grateful I had!
Also teatree oil, for me, turned out to be a lifesaver - not for the obvious uses of it but for one night I spent in an expensive hotel in Santiago de Compostela, opened a bottle of vino tinto using a knife in the cork (having lost my Swiss army knife), and had the bottle explode all over the pristine white walls of the hotel room. I scrubbed and I scrubbed. I stayed on an extra day to keep scrubbing, not wanting to pay for a repaint of the room. Finally, in exasperation, I started experimenting with different things and guess what, something I never knew, teatree oil removes red wine from pristine white walls in expensive hotels!!
Sometimes you don't know what you're going to need and what you're going to need it for!
You'll love it!
Buen camino!!

Ha ha! I was like you, just packing my bag to go, when a friend came over and gave some advice about what to pack - and I panicked! I hadn't thought about that. So I bought some gear - some of it I never used, just had to lug around, some of it I lost (the walking poles) and some of it I was eternally grateful to have been told about - specifically to buy trekking pants that dry quickly, and tshirts that also dry quickly, to buy trekking shoes 2 sizes larger than my foot (no toe pain going downhill, and for me not one blister!!), and to take an elastic washing line with safety pins (for the wind). Also to make sure my Swiss army knife had a corkscrew as most wine bottles come with corks there. They were the things I was really grateful I had!
Also teatree oil, for me, turned out to be a lifesaver - not for the obvious uses of it but for one night I spent in an expensive hotel in Santiago de Compostela, opened a bottle of vino tinto using a knife in the cork (having lost my Swiss army knife), and had the bottle explode all over the pristine white walls of the hotel room. I scrubbed and I scrubbed. I stayed on an extra day to keep scrubbing, not wanting to pay for a repaint of the room. Finally, in exasperation, I started experimenting with different things and guess what, something I never knew, teatree oil removes red wine from pristine white walls in expensive hotels!!
Sometimes you don't know what you're going to need and what you're going to need it for!
You'll love it!
Buen camino!!
Love this. Thanks so much!!

€46,-
Just go for it. Do it at your own pace and in your own time. Pack light.You can wash your walking gear along the way. The Camino is different for each and everyone. You will meet a lot of others alone the way for help, chat, company.
Don't try and do to much distance each day. Walk within your limit. Enjoy.
Buin Camino.
Lua

Of course you're panicking. You're about to step into the unknown. And you know what? When you've done it, you'll remember it as the best thing ever. Buen Camino. Love Jackie.

You are getting some good advice here. The couple of things I would add: 1) Tend to any foot issues the moment you start to feel them. Blisters can proliferate in a matter of minutes. Treat them when they are still hot spots. 2) If you over pack, be prepared to either jettison items along the way or mail them home in Pamplona or Estella. Also in Pamplona is a good supply store, Caminoteca, that provides you with your first opportunity (after St. Jean) to purchase kit you don't have.

http://caminoteca.com/en/

The rest you will quickly catch on to as you go.
So be in the moment, and buen camino to you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Go.

So many good posts here that ring true with me; don't overplan, consider Valcarlos etc. Long journeys can be disruptive to eating and drinking etc as well, so a full day in SJPP to chill out could be good.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Also teatree oil, for me, turned out to be a lifesaver - removes red wine from pristine white walls in expensive hotels!!
It's a great solvent, works on chewing gum and oil based house paint too. Also smells a lot better than oxidised red wine. Hope there was enough left in the bottle to calm your shattered nerves:)

Last edited:
This...
Totally inspiring: "pack a bag, find my way to SJPP and start walking"

Because that's what a pilgrimage is all about. When the timing is right - pack the bag and book the tickets, just like people did in the old days. Bring what you need for three days, and be prepared to wash-up almost every evening, just like when you are traveling off the beaten track.
The tricky part is to walk long distances every day for so many days...

Also, the Camino is in Spain, not a remote place off track in the middle of nowhere. There has to be an excellent infrastructure of accommodation, supermercados and abundance of places to eat, else the Camino wouldn't be so popular among the Spanish people :)

Buen Camino,
Michael

Hello All!,
I am kind of feeling the same way…am traveling alone, but on the Camino Primitivo. Literally decided a few days ago and will be leaving on the 8th of June..next Monday. Can I just pack my bags and go for this one as well???
Thank you!!!!
Jamie

Feeling anxious about setting off on your first ever Camino is quite natural, in my opinion. But that feeling will soon dissipate as soon as you get into the rhythm, once you find your pace and develop confidence in yourself. You'll be right!
Last year as I sat on the train in Bayonne on the way to Cambo les Bains and finally SJPdP, I was anxious and had palpitations even though I tried to put on a brave face for my new friends who sat next to me. I have always been a fit person but I have never done a serious walk in my life prior to my first Camino and was scared of dropping dead, injuring myself , etc. Too much thinking,over thinking and doubt.
But you know what, once I reached Orisson after an arduous climb through Huntto in the heat of a summer afternoon, confidence took over slowly and I started to believe in myself. The rest of the walk until Day4 to Pamplona was hard (the heat really made the trek difficult) but the belief in myself egged me on. 28 days later, I arrived in Santiago without injuries nor blisters, feeling great and seriously happy.
Believe in yourself. You can do it. No reservations required.
Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello All!,
I am kind of feeling the same way…am traveling alone, but on the Camino Primitivo. Literally decided a few days ago and will be leaving on the 8th of June..next Monday. Can I just pack my bags and go for this one as well???
Thank you!!!!
Jamie
I believe the longer we have to pack the more we unpack and repack. I just stare at this bag and think lets get this show on the road. I am in St Jean on the tenth. I have only booked Orrison. I feel if I prebook I have to panic while walking..... Am I there yet , am I too slow? Fate will get me where I am supposed to be! Hope to see you on the path.

I believe the longer we have to pack the more we unpack and repack. I just stare at this bag and think lets get this show on the road. I am in St Jean on the tenth. I have only booked Orrison. I feel if I prebook I have to panic while walking..... Am I there yet , am I too slow? Fate will get me where I am supposed to be! Hope to see you on the path.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Love it! You're speaking my language!
And don't read any more posts on it. Stay off this forum, ha ha. I see even on this thread people posting the difficulties, stuff to bring, etc. Ignore it. Scrounge up one of those damn guidebooks and get down to SJPdP and start walking. That's all you need to do. It's not that hard. Even the first day. Before I typed this out this morning a buttload of pilgrims walked all the way to Roncesvalles from SJPdP and guess what? They survived! ha ha.
cheers

And don't read any more posts on it. Stay off this forum, ha ha. I see even on this thread people posting the difficulties, stuff to bring, etc. Ignore it. Scrounge up one of those damn guidebooks and get down to SJPdP and start walking. That's all you need to do. It's not that hard. Even the first day. Before I typed this out this morning a buttload of pilgrims walked all the way to Roncesvalles from SJPdP and guess what? They survived! ha ha.
cheers
Have you by chance done the camino primitive? I am feeling the same way as Tilly, but will be doing the Primitivo solo in a weekish. Thanks!

Flin Flon! I've been there!

I am arriving in Bayonne on the 10th, so will get to SJPP on the 11th and start walking that day. Perhaps I'll catch up with you. Keep an eye for me as I will you - not to bother, just maybe to connect as a fellow Canadian and identify a familiar face, if necessary for the sketchy part. I'll have my Canada Camino badge on my backpack, which may or may not be grey, as I am 11 days from departing and haven't decided on a bag yet!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Have you by chance done the camino primitive? I am feeling the same way as Tilly, but will be doing the Primitivo solo in a weekish. Thanks!
Have not done the Primitivo, but lot's on here that have. I'm sure it's every bit as beautiful as the Frances and all you need is guidebook/maps of some kind and get to Oviedo.
cheers

Get a relatively new pair of boots and break them in, at least 30-40 miles. And bring plenty of good socks, at least enough for a new pair every day until you do laundry. No matter how outdoorsie you are these are important for not getting blisters. No day of the Camino will be that tough for you with your background, but what is really tough is doing it again tomorrow, and again tomorrow. I met a marathon runner who was about to quit because she couldn't hack it. You'll be fine, but take care of your feet---plan ahead.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Congrats on your determination, hope all goes well and like someone said before one foot in front of the other...

Buen Camino
Chris from Kitchener, Ontario

I've been following this forum for several months now in preparation for walking the Camino next year. Mind you, I'm a senior, not the age of the OP, so I need to prepare more mindfully. However, some things are the same. To encourage someone to just take off willy-nilly and hope for the best seems just a tad irresponsible on the part of forum members. Isn't one of the more important reasons for the forum to better prepare pilgrims for the journey? If it doesn't matter, why give any advice at all?

Flin Flon! I've been there!

I am arriving in Bayonne on the 10th, so will get to SJPP on the 11th and start walking that day. Perhaps I'll catch up with you. Keep an eye for me as I will you - not to bother, just maybe to connect as a fellow Canadian and identify a familiar face, if necessary for the sketchy part. I'll have my Canada Camino badge on my backpack, which may or may not be grey, as I am 11 days from departing and haven't decided on a bag yet!

Oh yes a familiar face a presence. I will I am staying at Orisson the evening of the 11th, how about you?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I've been following this forum for several months now in preparation for walking the Camino next year. Mind you, I'm a senior, not the age of the OP, so I need to prepare more mindfully. However, some things are the same. To encourage someone to just take off willy-nilly and hope for the best seems just a tad irresponsible on the part of forum members. Isn't one of the more important reasons for the forum to better prepare pilgrims for the journey? If it doesn't matter, why give any advice at all?
Annie G: I think you will find that in most posts the forum members do recommend preparation. The difference here is the OP stated that she already booked her flight and is planning to leave shortly. She also states that she is an experienced traveler and outdoorsy. I think the responses are not "encouraging" her to do it without planning, but rather "supporting" her in what she has chosen to do. I felt she was expressing last minute jitters and did want to verify that she could still "make it" even without all of the planning and worrying about packing lists and other things...and she can. As she stated, she will learn along the way from the other pilgrims and her own experience.

Hi Annie. You're quite right that it's no walk in the park, and first time pilgrims should at least give it considerable thought if not physical preparation. The much repeated mantras of 'Pack light' and 'Start slowly' are always quick to appear when prep time or activity has been limited.

For someone of reasonable fitness it is certainly possible to do a Camino with very little prep if they heed that advice. Some pilgrims would never leave home unless they had considered everything first, while for others the lack of detailed planning is the essence of it. In th unlikely event that an experienced pilgrim gave truly foolhardy 'advice' others would very quickly challenge it, but that is rare indeed.

Annie G's post made me think about the content on this forum.

There are possibly just three of four "non-negotiable" advices anyone would need to get on the Camino, or any long walk for that matter. And compiling the responses to the OP we find:

1. Pack Light - as light as possible. Not more than 10kg in total incl water and snacks, which itself is way too heavy. Personally I would aim for about 6kg.

2. Clothes should be few and extremely well selected and intended to be worn. One set worn and one, max two sets of clothes in the pack. Rain gear, one long sleeve, one warm sweater. If in doubt, don't pack it. Wash every evening. Clothes should dry fast.
Then again, several alberges seem to have both washing machine and tumblers, so staying in one of these would make it possible to bring clothes made of cotton. Important: No "nice to haves". If the occasion occurs which calls for "nice to have" buy it if needed.

3. Good shoes, really good well worn and fitted shoes that breathes. If the shoes are too warm, blisters will be a problem. Summer in Spain is sunny and hot. Rain will fall, but after rain it will be sunny and hot again. Shoes should dry fast.

Part 4 has not been mentioned in this thread, and any experienced traveler know this already.

4. Personal security - All valuables should (shall) always be kept with and on you: passport, credit card(s), cash, phone, tablets, camera. Bring them with you to the bathroom, when showering, sleeping and at the bars, restaurants, coffee shops. Never ever leave your small daybag unattended or hanging from the back of your chair. Passports, credit cards and tickets, should be worn close to the body under the clothes. Cash needed for the day should be easily accessible. Phone numbers to your bank and credit card company at hand, in several places, so you can call them straight away if something happens.

These are the absolute basics and more or less mandatory things to consider when planning for a hike, which includes staying at hostels and sharing rooms with strangers.

The hard facts for a long walkabout can be obtained from any experienced sales person when buying a backpack or trekking shoes. But that is not as fun as sharing thoughts, concerns and anxieties with people on a forum.

All the other things discussed in the many threads on the forum are actually about making life on the Camino comfortable. Which I personally find extremely nice and I have picked up and followed lots of good advice when selecting items. Hanging on a forum is also part of the fun when preparing for the Camino. Its a soul mate thing, if you like.

Sorry for the long post - I did intend to post a quick response.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Oh yes a familiar face a presence. I will I am staying at Orisson the evening of the 11th, how about you?

Now that I've been told I need a reservation, I did email them but haven't heard back. If I don't get in there, I will walk the other way and stay in Valcarlos. From then on, I hope to avoid the specific Brierly route in order to avoid the crowds if possible (not the route, the stopping points). We'll see how that works out. ??

As it happens, the advice received was exactly what I needed. I enjoy just winging it. As I described, I'm not worried about my fitness level and I'm not worried about my gear. All I was suddenly worried about were things that I may have unknowingly be required to arrange in advance, i.e., reservations, that could have stopped my journey.

As I haven't heard anything further about that, I still plan to pack a bag, find my way to SJPdP and start walking! =)

€46,-

We have been traveling all over ( turkey, Barcelona, Mallorca) without a single reservation! Lol we figure it will all work out! We start the camino on Monday and just now got a room in SJPP ... Don't stress and just go with it!!

Looking forward to the semi-nomadic life with it's own rhythms. For now a little panic is just the excitement of anticipating the unknown of adventure. Wheels up on June 21st for me.

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Now that I've been told I need a reservation, I did email them but haven't heard back. If I don't get in there, I will walk the other way and stay in Valcarlos. From then on, I hope to avoid the specific Brierly route in order to avoid the crowds if possible (not the route, the stopping points). We'll see how that works out. ??
I walked the ValCarlos route on my first Camino. By accident of sorts as I had no guidebook showing the two different routes and just kind of wandered out of town that first morning not knowing where to go. It's beautiful and is the route that was taken by Charlemagne, so it is very historic. Check out the photos I took of it on my media page on here.

Hello All!,
Thank you!!!!
Jamie
Yes! There aren't as many people walking on the Primitivo, but there are people, and there are still plenty of towns with places to stay and places to eat. No big outfitter stores after you leave Oviedo though.

Enjoy every day
Day one: You may consider yourself a newbee, but you are none the less a pilgrim.
Day two: You are simply a pilgrim. Everything is waiting for you to discover and enjoy on your Camino.
Just Keep Walking.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sue Kenney, an Ontario girl, made an impromptu decision to walk after she was "downsized" from her corporate career. She walked a winter Camino, survived, and wrote a book My Camino.
Walk. Enjoy. The Camino might be one experience you can enjoy worry free if you take it one day/step at a time.
Buen Camino, Tillyjones.
~Penny (from St. Catharines, Ontario)

Hello All!,
Thank you!!!!
Jamie
My daughter and I did the Primitivo the beginning of May. We 'winged' it until we figured out our walking speed and reached Fonasgrada where the alberques and hotels were almost full, I think due to a local party. After that we booked ahead the evening before or morning of. Just remember to pack as light as possible. If you pack too much stuff you can always mail it ahead with Spanish Post or a transport service. We met people that used the post for 40 euro for the entire Primitivo to Santiago. And I don't know how much time you have or how fit you are but a lot of pilgrims we met had to re-evaluate each day according to the difficulty of the terrain. A number, including ourselves, needed to bus or taxi ahead to get our flights home.

I am doing the same as you and I am having some of the same feeling as you lol. But I figure it's all part of my Camino experience so I will try to just laugh at myself through it all.....
I arrive in Paris on June 4 I plan to take the train out June 5 if that fits into your time frame we can figure the train thing out together. If not Buen Camino. :)
If there is anyone else going at that time in Paris and would like company let me know I enjoy traveling but I have never done it by myself feeling strange lol

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Stranded without money is not fun. So I wouldn't wing that part. Not on the Camino nor anywhere.

I always travel with several cards from different institutions. Lost, stolen, or mysteriously denied transactions can ruin a trip, especially if you travel solo.

As "luck" will have it - I am on my first day out. I've just discovered fraudulent withdrawals on my bank account (my debit card has apparently been cloned - not in Europe btw, but somewhere I had to travel prior to this walk). Long call to cancel the card and have a replacement sent to my home address. Fortunately I have several alternatives so not much of a deal.

Which brings me to the other thing I'd rather not wing - telecommunications.

I have an unlocked smartphone with a local SIM. You'd bet it is failsafe, but no. I am out of international calling minutes and international credit cards are not accepted by the phone operator. Happened to me before, so now I have a backup. I fell back on VOIP (similar to Skype). I was able to complete the call from the 4G connexion.

So... I like to wing what's inconsequential. I try to plan for what can eat an inordinate amount of time in my schedule.

Which brings me to a third observation: I am fit but not certain what this strange marathon will do to me. When I first thought of walking the Camino, I asked the person who suggested it to walk with us. He declined, alluding to a friend who had trained, tried and abandoned shortly after, because of tendinitis. There are countless examples like that.

Probably wise to have a loose timetable so it is possible to rest if the body protests too much, and a bailing out strategy. (I say this, but am on a tight schedule. I will wing if the fan is hit by the proverbial you know what ...)

It might take a couple of days for Orisson to get back to you.

Tilly I have a reservation for the 11th it took two days for their reply. I'm not that big and I can curl up small. My niece and I backpacked and we realized if tired you sleep. So if you do not hear back your welcome to bunk with me!! From what I hear we want to see and experience this hostel. My uncle just walked it and said Orrison was a splendid treat. Don't fret "just Go". I have almonds apricots and pumpkin seeds and I am set!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I wish you a wonderful experience, tillyjones. Your spirit and sense of adventure makes me yearn for some old times of my own when traveling on a wing and a prayer! Take care and try to post now and then on the Camino.

Tilly I have a reservation for the 11th it took two days for their reply. I'm not that big and I can curl up small. My niece and I backpacked and we realized if tired you sleep. So if you do not hear back your welcome to bunk with me!! From what I hear we want to see and experience this hostel. My uncle just walked it and said Orrison was a splendid treat. Don't fret "just Go". I have almonds apricots and pumpkin seeds and I am set!!!

I actually may just spend the 11th in SJPdP and then make the trek all the way to Roncasvalles on the 12th.

Best of luck to you Tilly Jones and don't forget to take a small stone with you. I walk the trails in my area so my stone will be from one of the trails along the Grand River.

Buen Camino (Good Journey)

Spend a day in Bayonne sightseeing, then take the train to Saint Jean Pied de Port in the afternoon. The next day you start walking to Roncesvalles via Route Napoleón. Because you are fit, it is not a problem to be in time in Roncevalles to get a bed.
Enjoy the camino, do not stress about the Bed-running !
On Camino Francés, it is a good idea to choose the albergues outside the cities. Many pilgrims follows strictly the guide-books, so think out off the box, avoiding the crowds.
Buen camino !

Thanks Pano! I think I was on the right track. It was browsing the forums in the last remaining days that got me worked up....I'm going to stick with plan A...wing it!
Everyone here has given good advice but as someone hoofing it across the Meseta at the moment and looking at the problems of the group I started with, walk in a good set of boots before St. Jean. Too many have retired hurt because of this fundamental error. You will be doing 30+ day hikes, end to end, treat your feet to the best you can afford. I have not had a single blister but I did have a dicky knee that I've had to listen too. Above all remember it is the weight on your back that causes the issues. Carry less than you think you need...you will learn that less is always better. Enough. You will love it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Back