• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Visiting Finisterre from Santiago

Perdita

Hi all,
I feel a bit a fraud posting on here as I am not actually going to be walking any oart of the Camino, but I am hoping you will give me some tips anyway.
I have a long-term medical problem with my feet, which means there's no way I can actually do the walk. I have dreamed of the Camino for many years, since reading about Katherine Sywnford and John of Gaunt escaping the realities of life for a few precious days together, but finally I have to accept I can never walk it. So later this year I plan to visit Santiago, and then travel to Finisterre by bus, with my own thoughts, and vows, and some stones representing people I need to say farewll to.

Now for the practical stuff: can anyone point me to the best way to get a bus trip Santiago -Fin? Either book via the web or where to find the bus station in santiago to book there? (btw my Spanish is non-existent!) would I be able to do Fin and back in a day on the bus or should I be looking at staying there overnight?
I have a few days in Santiago and want to explore little bars etc, not the touristy places. If I appoach people who appear to be pilgrims, are they/you likely to be willing to chat and share a wine or two even though I am not doing this the hard way?

Thanks ever so much for any help offered!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Check out Monobus at www.monbus.es. Type Fisterra for the destination and choose Ida y Vuelta (return). Book your return journey (the ticket is for a specific day/time). The journey takes 2 to 3 hours depending on which departure time. Weekdays the first one is at 11am and the last back at 7pm. It leaves from SDC bus station and stops in the centre of Finisterre.
I would suggest that having a night there and a taxi up to the lighthouse to see the sunset might be something to consider.
Pilgrims are very friendly and approachable and always willing to talk about their experience.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all,
I feel a bit a fraud posting on here as I am not actually going to be walking any oart of the Camino, but I am hoping you will give me some tips anyway.
I have a long-term medical problem with my feet, which means there's no way I can actually do the walk. I have dreamed of the Camino for many years, since reading about Katherine Sywnford and John of Gaunt escaping the realities of life for a few precious days together, but finally I have to accept I can never walk it. So later this year I plan to visit Santiago, and then travel to Finisterre by bus, with my own thoughts, and vows, and some stones representing people I need to say farewll to.

Now for the practical stuff: can anyone point me to the best way to get a bus trip Santiago -Fin? Either book via the web or where to find the bus station in santiago to book there? (btw my Spanish is non-existent!) would I be able to do Fin and back in a day on the bus or should I be looking at staying there overnight?
I have a few days in Santiago and want to explore little bars etc, not the touristy places. If I appoach people who appear to be pilgrims, are they/you likely to be willing to chat and share a wine or two even though I am not doing this the hard way?

Thanks ever so much for any help offered!

Hi Perdita,

I have just completed my Camino and took a return bus trip from Santiago to Finisterre/Finsterre about 5 days ago. Staff spoke good English at reception/sales and there are several return bus journeys each day.

You need to take a bus from the terminal (Bus Estascion - Google it for location) that is located some distance north from the centre, taxis are cheap. It took me 15 minutes to walk there from Hotel Costa Vella with luggage.

I fronted up to the terminal ticket office the day before departure and was advised to come back about 1 hour prior to departure to purchase my tickets, they do not sell any earlier. The return cost was around 26.00 euros (13.00 one way) and they only accepted cash. The bus left at Bay 13, you go to the lower level by escalator. You cannot not pre-purchase tickets at the terminal. You are not permitted to take on board any luggage or backpack. Make sure you store the backpack securely in the storage of the bus as mine fell out when the bus pulled up and opened the baggage doors at a designated station, luckily I saw it on the ground and hastily went out and put it back (lucky I was sitting directly above where I stowed it). Keep valuables on you(cash/passports/camera) and not in luggage or backpack.

When you are in Santiago central, go to the tourist office diagonally opposite the Pilgrims Office, near the Cathedral, they will provide a time schedule for the buses. What they do not tell you is that there is a bus that leaves Finisterre at 09.45 am, and this bus was full, there was a bit of a scramble to get on, however, a second bus pulled up to cater for the overflow of passengers. This was a direct journey to the bus terminal (stopped at one major station) and took about 2 hours. You can do a trip in one day, but I would suggest you stay overnight and go and see the light house and have a look the ocean (end of the earth). It is a pleasant seaside town with a few good restaurants (avoid the Ancora - was awful and the owner was disinterested in serving us, had better things to do).

A taxi from a hotel in Santiago will cost you around 7-8.00 euros to the terminal, cheap.

The process of bus travel was easy so don't worry.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Ralph

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Perdita, if you can get 4 other people to go with you, it's about the same price to rent a taxi for the day.
You can find taxis on the side of the San Martin Pinario building across from the Cathedral.

You can start when you want, have the taxi drive you to Finisterra, have lunch or sight see, have the taxi take you to Muxia also, sightsee, then come back to Santiago. The price last year was about 120-130 euros for the day - about the same as 4 tickets round trip to Finisterra alone.

Hi Perdita,

I have just completed my Camino and took a return bus trip from Santiago to Finisterre/Finsterre about 5 days ago. Staff spoke good English at reception/sales and there are several return bus journeys each day.

You need to take a bus from the terminal (Bus Estascion - Google it for location) that is located some distance north from the centre, taxis are cheap. It took me 15 minutes to walk there from Hotel Costa Vella with luggage.

I fronted up to the terminal ticket office the day before departure and was advised to come back about 1 hour prior to departure to purchase my tickets, they do not sell any earlier. The return cost was around 26.00 euros (13.00 one way) and they only accepted cash. The bus left at Bay 13, you go to the lower level by escalator. You cannot not pre-purchase tickets at the terminal. You are not permitted to take on board any luggage or backpack. Make sure you store the backpack securely in the storage of the bus as mine fell out when the bus pulled up and opened the baggage doors at a designated station, luckily I saw it on the ground and hastily went out and put it back (lucky I was sitting directly above where I stowed it). Keep valuables on you(cash/passports/camera) and not in luggage or backpack.

When you are in Santiago central, go to the tourist office diagonally opposite the Pilgrims Office, near the Cathedral, they will provide a time schedule for the buses. What they do not tell you is that there is a bus that leaves Finisterre at 09.45 am, and this bus was full, there was a bit of a scramble to get on, however, a second bus pulled up to cater for the overflow of passengers. This was a direct journey to the bus terminal (stopped at one major station) and took about 2 hours. You can do a trip in one day, but I would suggest you stay overnight and go and see the light house and have a look the ocean (end of the earth). It is a pleasant seaside town with a few good restaurants (avoid the Ancora - was awful and the owner was disinterested in serving us, had better things to do).

A taxi from a hotel in Santiago will cost you around 7-8.00 euros to the terminal, cheap.

The process of bus travel was easy so don't worry.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Ralph
That's so helpful Ralph, makes it a lot easier to think about (expecially with virtually no Spanish apart from a phrasebook!). I'll be printing those instructions to take with me!
Thank you so much

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Perdita, if you can get 4 other people to go with you, it's about the same price to rent a taxi for the day.
You can find taxis on the side of the San Martin Pinario building across from the Cathedral.

You can start when you want, have the taxi drive you to Finisterra, have lunch or sight see, have the taxi take you to Muxia also, sightsee, then come back to Santiago. The price last year was about 120-130 euros for the day - about the same as 4 tickets round trip to Finisterra alone.
Great idea, worth asking around to see if people are up for it - much more comfortable trip I guess?!

That's so helpful Ralph, makes it a lot easier to think about (expecially with virtually no Spanish apart from a phrasebook!). I'll be printing those instructions to take with me!
Thank you so much

Hi Perdita

I forgot to mention that the return bus ticket (with Monobus) is open ended, that is, you can return back to Santiago on any day and any hour. Monobus only go as far as Finisterre.

Regards

Ralph

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Perdita,

Hope you can fulfil your dream.

Dont know the extent of your medical condition, but I assume you have also considered the option of cycling a relatively flat stage with a very light load?

Also a few days ago just outside Belorado, I met a man with a donkey /mule going in the opposite direction. He told me he had travelled all the way from Bilbao to Santiago and was now on the return journey. Not for everyone but there are alternative options. He looked as happy as Larry and the donkey looked as happy as, erm, a donkey.

Buen Camino
Gerry

Hi, everyone!
Don't want to make new thread in same topic, so hopefully this is the best thread to ask your opinion.

Here are the facts:
I'm planning to arrive in Santiago July 9th at morning. Would like to get my compostela and eat breakfast or lunch. I can check in to the hostal 13:30 - 23:00. My plane departs July 10th 20:50 - because I don't know that airport and the time it takes to check in and stuff, I would like to be there at 19:00. And I really would like to visit Finisterre/Fisterre and see ocean for the first time in my life.

But I don't know how long can the waiting time be to get the compostela - few hours max?
And the buses to and back from Finisterre - are they usually punctual? And is there a chance that if I'm planning to get to the 15:00 bus in Finisterre, it's full?

So I thought one way and another and came up with two plans:
1) I arrive in Santiago de Compostela July 9th, morning (maybe 8 or 9). Get my compostela. Find the hostel and leave my backpack there (can't check in yet). Take the 13:00 bus to Finisterre, be there at 15:40. Walk to lighthouse. Eat somewhere. Take the 19:00 bus back, be in Santiago de Compostela bus estasion at 22:00. One hour to check in. Again - probably haven't seen food for a while, have to find something. And probably I'll be very very tired - but on the bright side, I can sleep 'til noon next day, if I want. And then I have some time to look around Santiago, until I have to take the 18:00 bus to airport.

2) I arrive in Santiago de Compostela July 9th, morning (maybe 8 or 9). Get my compostela, find the hostel and leave my backpack there (can't check in yet). Walk around, take time to eat breakfast and/or lunch and enjoy. Sleep and get up so I can take the 9:00 bus to Finisterre and be there at 11:00. Walk to lighthouse, eat lunch and take the 15:00 - 18:00 bus back to Santiago. Probably take the taxi because I'm afraid that taking the 18:30 bus and getting to airport 19:15 will be a little late. But then again - I'm also afraid that if the bus is full, I'll miss my flight and that's not cool. And I'm also wondering do I want to sit over 6 hours in the bus, then in the airport and 'til next morning in the plane..

Which one looks more realistic/doable, so I'll still be happy :) ?
Or are there any other suggestions?

The idea of taking a taxi with three other people sounds nice - could check in in the afternoon, take my time and not to worrie about bus times, taxi is faster (I think?) and wouldn't have to sit so much, also would see the sunset, eat last spanish supper with my taxi-friends and ride back to sleep and I would have one day in the Santiago in the next day. And like I understand, it's not that more money than with bus (per person).
But - how do I find those taxi-friends to be sure that that is the plan? :)

I have been thinking and planning for hours now.. maybe I'm already overthinking and Camino provides? : )

Hi, everyone!
Don't want to make new thread in same topic, so hopefully this is the best thread to ask your opinion.

Here are the facts:
I'm planning to arrive in Santiago July 9th at morning. Would like to get my compostela and eat breakfast or lunch. I can check in to the hostal 13:30 - 23:00. My plane departs July 10th 20:50 - because I don't know that airport and the time it takes to check in and stuff, I would like to be there at 19:00. And I really would like to visit Finisterre/Fisterre and see ocean for the first time in my life.

But I don't know how long can the waiting time be to get the compostela - few hours max?
And the buses to and back from Finisterre - are they usually punctual? And is there a chance that if I'm planning to get to the 15:00 bus in Finisterre, it's full?

So I thought one way and another and came up with two plans:
1) I arrive in Santiago de Compostela July 9th, morning (maybe 8 or 9). Get my compostela. Find the hostel and leave my backpack there (can't check in yet). Take the 13:00 bus to Finisterre, be there at 15:40. Walk to lighthouse. Eat somewhere. Take the 19:00 bus back, be in Santiago de Compostela bus estasion at 22:00. One hour to check in. Again - probably haven't seen food for a while, have to find something. And probably I'll be very very tired - but on the bright side, I can sleep 'til noon next day, if I want. And then I have some time to look around Santiago, until I have to take the 18:00 bus to airport.

2) I arrive in Santiago de Compostela July 9th, morning (maybe 8 or 9). Get my compostela, find the hostel and leave my backpack there (can't check in yet). Walk around, take time to eat breakfast and/or lunch and enjoy. Sleep and get up so I can take the 9:00 bus to Finisterre and be there at 11:00. Walk to lighthouse, eat lunch and take the 15:00 - 18:00 bus back to Santiago. Probably take the taxi because I'm afraid that taking the 18:30 bus and getting to airport 19:15 will be a little late. But then again - I'm also afraid that if the bus is full, I'll miss my flight and that's not cool. And I'm also wondering do I want to sit over 6 hours in the bus, then in the airport and 'til next morning in the plane..

Which one looks more realistic/doable, so I'll still be happy :) ?
Or are there any other suggestions?

The idea of taking a taxi with three other people sounds nice - could check in in the afternoon, take my time and not to worrie about bus times, taxi is faster (I think?) and wouldn't have to sit so much, also would see the sunset, eat last spanish supper with my taxi-friends and ride back to sleep and I would have one day in the Santiago in the next day. And like I understand, it's not that more money than with bus (per person).
But - how do I find those taxi-friends to be sure that that is the plan? :)

I have been thinking and planning for hours now.. maybe I'm already overthinking and Camino provides? : )

Si yo fuera tu ... start closer to Santiago and finish walking in Fisterra (4 days from Santiago to Fisterra) Then plan to spend a whole day at the beach and the lighthouse.

Cramming in a day at Fisterra between buses that take 3 hours each way ... plus the stress of worrying if you'll make your plane doesn't make much sense. If its your first time experiencing the ocean ... its not enough.

Buses in Spain run like clockwork.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Perdita,

Hope you can fulfil your dream.

Dont know the extent of your medical condition, but I assume you have also considered the option of cycling a relatively flat stage with a very light load?

Also a few days ago just outside Belorado, I met a man with a donkey /mule going in the opposite direction. He told me he had travelled all the way from Bilbao to Santiago and was now on the return journey. Not for everyone but there are alternative options. He looked as happy as Larry and the donkey looked as happy as, erm, a donkey.

Buen Camino
Gerry

I have read Tim Moore's book about travelling with a donkey, sounds like a lovely option but I don't think its for me! Most of my problem is feet and ankles with severe arthritis - some days I can do a couple of kilometres, but thats about my limit and its not predictable either so I could easily find myself stranded somewhere if I have a bad couple of days. Carrying a backpack wouldn't be a problem, its the actual one foot in front of the other issue!

Hi, amigos!
My Camino for this time is now finished and I just wanted to come and give feedback what was the choice - just maybe it will help someone :)

I didn't start closer to Santiago but planned to make some days longer so I could be in Santiago one day earlier and then go by bus to Finisterra. As it came out, I could do more that I expected, so I had almost three days more! So, when I arrived to Santiago, I made a decision to go by bus to Muxia and stay there one day and then I walked to Lires and then to Finisterra. From there - bus back to Santiago.
Walk from Muxia to Finisterra was the best thing that I could do with that time! Seriously! I was lucky with the weather all the time except the day I walked to Lires - then it rained all the time and I got very wet and didn't see much on the day but still, it's in our mind how do we see it, I even had a picnic under my poncho in the rain ;)

Muxia is calmer, so probably next time I will go to Finisterre, burn my clothes, swim in ocean, watch the sunset (one or two days there) and then walk to Muxia just to let it all end in peace.

Thank you all for your answers! : )

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back