• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anybody visited Barosa Gastronatural near Caldas De Reis?

miguel_gp

Veteran Member
Has anybody on the forum been to or eaten at this place http://barosa-gastronatural.flavors.me/ just off the Camino Portugues between Pontevedra and Caldas de Reis? I'm just wondering if it may be worth the 1km round trip detour to visit.

Pictures of the falls look lovely (but that is probably dependent on season).

Any recommendations (or otherwise) gratefully received as I would be dragging 5 other people with me to visit!

Cheers
Mig

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Has anybody on the forum been to or eaten at this place http://barosa-gastronatural.flavors.me/ just off the Camino Portugues between Pontevedra and Caldas de Reis? I'm just wondering if it may be worth the 1km round trip detour to visit.

Pictures of the falls look lovely (but that is probably dependent on season).

Any recommendations (or otherwise) gratefully received as I would be dragging 5 other people with me to visit!

Cheers
Mig
LOL, I guess that is a "no" then :).
Mig

I haven't personally been there but when I looked at their webpage I realized that I'd seen photos of Barosa on a friend's Facebook page (Turismo Verde de Galicia), so I contacted Jose to ask if he thought it would be worth deviating from the Camino to visit. He said that this location is "espectacular", confirmed that it's about a 1km deviation, and cautioned that they aren't open every day (I see that the days they are closed are also noted, by season, on the Barosa webpage). He also mentioned that there are always many locals hiking around there to see the waterfalls and provided this link with some additional reviews, which seem to be more about the waterfalls than the restaurant: http://www.minube.com/rincon/cascada-ria-barosa-a178651

He also sent a link to TripAdvisor where at least one reviewer commented on the "lento" (slow) service, but all comments mentioned the incredible views. I hope this is helpful! If you end up going here, please report back! When is it you'll be going through there?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you for this information, very useful. If we decide to detour I will of course post back our thoughts on the place. The waterfalls do look nice but I guess that may depend on what time of year you visit. I would be there next Wednesday (6th May) so hopefully they will be in full swing after a wet winter ;). I'll have to see how the rest of the day goes with my companions before we decide.

I've never found Caldas De Reis particularly outstanding on the culinary front so thought this might be a nice alternative.

Thanks again.
Mig

CascadasBarosa.JPG

Just a quick post as I am still on Camino but the Waterfalls at Barossa are well worth the detour. 500m off the Camino route between Pontevrdra and Caldas and just where the path meets the N550 (there is a road signpost saying Santiago 40 km). Take a right off the N550 and walk gradually uphill. You will hear the falls well before you see them.

The restaurant wasn't open and no indication if they would be that day or even if they are ever now open. However that doesn't matter, as the falls are worth it anyway. There is picnic area so grab some pan, cheese, chorizo and wine in Pontevedra and stop by. Wonderful.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That's wonderful, Mig! So glad you enjoyed the detour and reported back on it. Looks amazing!!

I ended up stopping by here too this week - the waterfall was amazing! Enjoyed dipping my sore feet in the ice cold water! A group of locals were sunning themselves on the rocks (it was almost 80 degrees that afternoon!) and the more adventurous guys were using it as a slip-n-slide! Amazing sight!!

image.jpg image.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The restaurant was not open, as it was a Monday. Now that we are coming into summer it appears they are open more frequently, according to their website: http://barosa-gastronatural.flavors.me/#reservas

There's a small cafe on the corner where you turn to go towards Barosa, so maybe bring some cold drinks from there if the restaurant won't be open. What a refreshing stop!!

Just a quick post as I am still on Camino but the Waterfalls at Barossa are well worth the detour. 500m off the Camino route between Pontevrdra and Caldas and just where the path meets the N550 (there is a road signpost saying Santiago 40 km). Take a right off the N550 and walk gradually uphill. You will hear the falls well before you see them.

The restaurant wasn't open and no indication if they would be that day or even if they are ever now open. However that doesn't matter, as the falls are worth it anyway. There is picnic area so grab some pan, cheese, chorizo and wine in Pontevedra and stop by. Wonderful.
Wow, great tip! Cheers muchly

For those walking the Portugues route this year I am just bumping this thread as a recommended and worthwhile detour between Pontevedra and Caldas de Reis. Great place for a picnic, foot paddle, rest area.
The restaurant wasn't open when I went there so can't recommend it but it is a beautiful spot and only 500m off the Camino path.
With the amount of rain and flooding at the moment I can understand that people may not want to see more water (it may even currently be inaccessible) but as the weather improves and the temperatures rise it becomes more tempting ;).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back