• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Back Home

don88

Hi All, I just returned home from my first Camino. After listening to the advice on this forum, I walked from Sarria to SDC. I am 66 years old, a couch potato, with little walking prep. I was terribly prepared for the physical challenges, but I made it none-the-less. One of the most important lessons I learned here on the forum was to listen to my body, and don't ask it to do more than it can. I walked every day, and stopped when my feet and legs told me to. I averaged 9 km. per day, arriving in Santiago on day 13 ! Even though I was the slowest guy on the Camino, I had a great, terrible time. I experienced a wide range of emotions from the highest highs to deep dispair. I was ready to quit on my 5th and 6th day, but kept moving with the help of several Camino Angels. When I walked into the plaza in front of the cathedral, I literally wept. Here was a 66 year old pilgrim, with tears streaming down my face, and nothing but joy in my heart. I made it!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi All, I just returned home from my first Camino. After listening to the advice on this forum, I walked from Sarria to SDC. I am 66 years old, a couch potato, with little walking prep. I was terribly prepared for the physical challenges, but I made it none-the-less. One of the most important lessons I learned here on the forum was to listen to my body, and don't ask it to do more than it can. I walked every day, and stopped when my feet and legs told me to. I averaged 9 km. per day, arriving in Santiago on day 13 ! Even though I was the slowest guy on the Camino, I had a great, terrible time. I experienced a wide range of emotions from the highest highs to deep dispair. I was ready to quit on my 5th and 6th day, but kept moving with the help of several Camino Angels. When I walked into the plaza in front of the cathedral, I literally wept. Here was a 66 year old pilgrim, with tears streaming down my face, and nothing but joy in my heart. I made it!
Your message made me smile. Am happy for your tears @ the plaza in SdC
Thank you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Congratulations! Well done!

Don , well done. The Camino Angels where good to you on your journey. I wish you well, Peter.

Don: congratulations! I think one of the many Camino gifts for us oldies is the realization of how much we can really do and how much more adventure is out there waiting for us to explore. I started from Leon and, much like you, I was not sure I could make it...but I did. I then followed that up a few years later with 33 days walking from Roncesvalles! I still think I am a very slow walker too:).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well done You on completing your camino and at your own pace. After all, it's meant to be a journey not a race and to quote 2 favourites of mine: "I did it my way" and "you can go your own way" - and by the sounds of it you did just that which is commendable. I soon tired of the great albergue race stakes crowd and "went my own way" from Orisson onwards

Congratulations Don! Thanks for posting your note to let the Forum know how we were useful.
The lesson of listening to your body is a great one for you to highlight. Personally, I think it's also an extra bonus to have been 'the slowest guy on the camino' :>) There are many reasons that we chose to, or are forced to, focus on how fast we walk our camino. Even though I had days when speed was important to me, I still recall how much I admired the slow, mindful walkers. So congratulations on persevering through the highs and the lows, and for reminding us there is good in both! You made it! By the way, have you heard the expression that 'the real camino begins in Santiago'?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You've inspired me, Don. In April, my wife and I took a group of students on the Camino (we both teach at the same school). We also started in Sarria. On the first day, in trying to keep pace with the kids--I'm 61 years old--my right knee gave out. Thus, on the second day, my Camino was over. Luckily, we had a guide with us who filled in for me and did an outstanding job. Resigned to not joining them all the way, my joy came in moving ahead by vehicle to our predetermined stop and giving them a one-person hero's welcome as they arrived. On the last day, I was at the entrance to the Plaza to see them complete their pilgrimages. My eyes filled with tears when I saw the tiredness, joy, wonder, and sense of accomplishment on their faces at the conclusion of their journey. In a real sense, I experienced the Camino vicariously through their stories.

Yet a void remains . . .

To fill this, I will be starting in Saint Jean Pied de Port on September 18--on my own. Fortunately, I've allowed myself plenty of time--eight weeks. Still, I worry, wondering if my knees will hold out. But now you've assured me that I can do it. All I need to keep in mind is to listen to my body.

Thanks, Don.

This brings tears to my eyes. Good for you not giving up. What a joyous day that must have been! Will you go again? how far did you go?

You've inspired me, Don. In April, my wife and I took a group of students on the Camino (we both teach at the same school). We also started in Sarria. On the first day, in trying to keep pace with the kids--I'm 61 years old--my right knee gave out. Thus, on the second day, my Camino was over. Luckily, we had a guide with us who filled in for me and did an outstanding job. Resigned to not joining them all the way, my joy came in moving ahead by vehicle to our predetermined stop and giving them a one-person hero's welcome as they arrived. On the last day, I was at the entrance to the Plaza to see them complete their pilgrimages. My eyes filled with tears when I saw the tiredness, joy, wonder, and sense of accomplishment on their faces at the conclusion of their journey. In a real sense, I experienced the Camino vicariously through their stories.

Yet a void remains . . .

To fill this, I will be starting in Saint Jean Pied de Port on September 18--on my own. Fortunately, I've allowed myself plenty of time--eight weeks. Still, I worry, wondering if my knees will hold out. But now you've assured me that I can do it. All I need to keep in mind is to listen to my body.

Thanks, Don.
My knee gave out recently -- very painful and definitely would have stopped any camino I would have been on. I have, however, had great success with prescription anti-inflamatories, physical therapy, and a knee brace. The medication was important in the beginning, as well as the brace to keep the knee where it should be, but the doctor and I believe it was the exercise that really did the trick. I have to keep it up, but that is a small price to pay for being pain-free. You might want to consider this. Good luck.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Congratulations on completing your journey. Great accomplishment, Don88.

€46,-
You did some preparation, though, and passed your own test of endurance. Well done.
Bet you want to get back. Keep on walking every day and keep expanding and enjoying what your body can do,
and then we will ´see down the road apiece´. That´s the blues I keep humming on my trail...
Buen Camino and Ultreiia....

Last edited:

So glad to hear you enjoyed it ... I am going to do my first in a few weeks I am 68 and full of arthritis so I will most likely be the slowest on record,,,,,I think there should be a Turtle award :)

€83,-
So glad to hear you enjoyed it ... I am going to do my first in a few weeks I am 68 and full of arthritis so I will most likely be the slowest on record,,,,,I think there should be a Turtle award :)
Sign me up for the contest (or is it a group award?)!! I love walking alone because I don't get worried that I am not "keeping up" or that I am "falling behind". I just walk at my own pace...but I do notice when a guide says about "4 hours to...", I always just add an hour to compensate for my pokey slow walking;)! On my last Camino I arrived at an albergue about the same time as an Italian man (he had walked 44km to my 25km). He spoke only Italian, the hospitalero spanish, and me english. The hospitalero asked us something in rapid fire spanish which appeared to be whether we were together. We both answered no and I jokingly explained in my very poor Spanish that he was a fast walker and I was the slow one. He then said something which I didn't understand, but I did hear the word "la tortuga". It took a minute and then we all burst out laughing (he was saying, with a very serious face, that we were the "tortoise and the hare"). For the next couple of days, I would arrive at the albergue an hour or more after the Italian to the wonderful sound of "la tortuga es aqui!!!":)

Sign me up for the contest (or is it a group award?)!! I love walking alone because I don't get worried that I am not "keeping up" or that I am "falling behind". I just walk at my own pace...but I do notice when a guide says about "4 hours to...", I always just add an hour to compensate for my pokey slow walking;)! On my last Camino I arrived at an albergue about the same time as an Italian man (he had walked 44km to my 25km). He spoke only Italian, the hospitalero spanish, and me english. The hospitalero asked us something in rapid fire spanish which appeared to be whether we were together. We both answered no and I jokingly explained in my very poor Spanish that he was a fast walker and I was the slow one. He then said something which I didn't understand, but I did hear the word "la tortuga". It took a minute and then we all burst out laughing (he was saying, with a very serious face, that we were the "tortoise and the hare"). For the next couple of days, I would arrive at the albergue an hour or more after the Italian to the wonderful sound of "la tortuga es aqui!!!":)
Laura you have a good heart and a great sense of humor. That gets you to places speedy ones will never see.

Well done Don and congratulations!

Thanks for sharing your story too.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

tee hee ...I really enjoyed your reply Your lucky you only have to add an hour

For me, the walk and entering the place in SDC were the award. For those who may care to read my blog of my trip the address is:

donhoreltravel.blogspot.com

Warning: this blog starts at home and ends at home. The Camino is a few pages in, as I traveled to Spain on a cruise ship, and left from Madrid.

Well done, same age as yourself and also just back and although it was my second camino, I too cried those tears of joy. It is a feeling like no other and if like me, you also will find it hard to put into words

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back