• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Suggestion for women on the camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

frida1

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April 11-May 11 2014
My suggestion is to carry a whistle. There are small whistles hikers use if they get lost, and even more powerful whistles for marine use in fog. These are easy and inexpensive to buy, and light to carry. Use of the whistle would probably get a potential attacker to involuntarily cover his ears, startle him and maybe get him to go away. I carry one hiking all the time.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My suggestion is to carry a whistle. There are small whistles hikers use if they get lost, and even more powerful whistles for marine use in fog. These are easy and inexpensive to buy, and light to carry. Use of the whistle would probably get a potential attacker to involuntarily cover his ears, startle him and maybe get him to go away. I carry one hiking all the time.
Hi Frida, during my Camino Frances I met several lady's with whistles. It is great that you stated that here on the forum. I wish you well, Peter.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Can we please stop talking about violence and knives on the Camino! In two years 500,000 pilgrims have reported one armed theft! And yes, there is a missing "pilgrim" but we do not know the circumstances of her disappearance. She may have voluntarily left the Camino and have been harmed at some other location. We just simply do not know at this point. Meanwhile, those same 500,000 pilgrims would have been subjected to 2000 violent crimes if they lived in the United States. Please, for the love of God can we recognize how safe the Camino is and how special of an experience it can be without irresponsibility scaring potential pilgrims away? The drive to airport to fly to Spain will statistically be the most dangerous portion of your Camino.

Last edited:
We are talking about a violent attempt of rape sir !

No.

This thread is about carrying a whistle as a defensive measure.

(followed by a suggestion to carry a knife).

The question of self defence, in the event of attempted petty theft or other threats is interesting.

I would think that a whistle can startle the attacker and / or attract attention and bring assistance.

I am quite positive that using a knife will only result in regrettable outcomes.

---

Let me add this.

I sail. The question of carrying weapons on board is frequently raised. Especially by those who plan to transit through Suez and the Red Sea.

The evidence is quite unambiguous - using weapons affords no protection against well organized attackers. It will deter amateurs who would have been deterred by other, non lethal methods. (flares, powerful lights, vhf calls and so on).

Using force against superior force leads to increasing danger. Pirates want your money, not your life. Using deadly force against inferior force may put you in the delicate situation of having to explain your actions to the local authorities, who may not be so compassionate.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Can we please stop talking about violence and knives on the Camino! In two years 500,000 pilgrims have reported one armed theft! And yes, there is a missing "pilgrim" but we do not know the circumstances of her disappearance. She may have voluntarily left the Camino and have been harmed at some other location. We just simply do not know at this point. Meanwhile, those same 500,000 pilgrims would have been subjected to 2000 violent crimes if they lived in the United States. Please, for the love of God can we recognize how safe the Camino is and how special of an experience it can be without irresponsibility scaring potential pilgrims away? The drive to airport to fly to Spain will statistically be the most dangerous portion of your Camino.

"irresponsibility" of scaring "potential" pilgrims away?

Don't worry. They're adults. They can sift through the forum and figure things out.

I have practiced tae kwon do for thirteen years. I have practiced taking knives away from people. Would I carry a knife to protect myself? No.

It is fairly easy to get a knife away from someone, especially if they're not really sure that they want to use it, and you DON'T want an attacker with a knife.

When I teach beginners, the first thing I have them do is scream, really loudly, in the hope that someone will hear them. A whistle is an excellent idea.

Can the rest of us agree that if we hear a whistle on the camino, we will run as fast as we can towards the sound to offer our assistance, and leave it like that?

I have practiced tae kwon do for thirteen years. I have practiced taking knives away from people. Would I carry a knife to protect myself? No.

It is fairly easy to get a knife away from someone, especially if they're not really sure that they want to use it, and you DON'T want an attacker with a knife.

When I teach beginners, the first thing I have them do is scream, really loudly, in the hope that someone will hear them. A whistle is an excellent idea.

Can the rest of us agree that if we hear a whistle on the camino, we will run as fast as we can towards the sound to offer our assistance, and leave it like that?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Me too. I always have my whistle. It also acts as an aid when I am walking with somebody-if we separate the signals are simple. A short whistle means OK. That can be a question or an answer. If my walking partner whistles he is saying that he is OK or asking if I am. The reply is the short whistle if we are fine. We always are by the way. We also agree that a long whistle means help me. Nothing complicated. When I walk alone it is always there, attached by strong string to the shoulder strap, to use if need be.

A private meaning to whistles is excellent, but don't forget that others can respond to your whistle if you use:

International Whistle Codes--Three blasts of the whistle is an international distress call, which is loosely translated to “Help me!” Two blasts of the whistle is a call-back signal which means “Come here.” One blast can mean “Where are you?” or it can be a call-back signal if you hear anything that sounds like a code. Each whistle blast should last 3 seconds.”

SOS--By far, the most commonly known signal for “help” is the SOS call. You can use other things beside the whistle to send an SOS (such as lights or flags), but the code is still the same: three dots, three dashes, and three more dots. The dot is a short, sharp pulse about three seconds long; a dash is a longer pulse, approximately six seconds long. When calling an SOS signal, keep repeating the signal as often as you can stand it, and for as long as you need it.”

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Exercise for the lungs is beneficial. Nothing more. Nobody even LOOKS that direction, no question about running towards or away.

Most perpetrators want a nice, easy, compliant victim. If you are kicking and screaming, blowing a whistle - even if no one comes to your rescue - a perpetrator might just decide that you are way to much of a PITA to deal with. So if it comes down to it, pull out all the stops and use every tool you have.

In a book by S Yates on pilgrim tips I just read about this phone number to call to report an incident on the camino:902 102 112. Has anyone tried this number. It's a resource for anyone who doesn't speak Spanish. There are supposed to be English, French, German speakers.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In a book by S Yates on pilgrim tips I just read about this phone number to call to report an incident on the camino:902 102 112. Has anyone tried this number. It's a resource for anyone who doesn't speak Spanish. There are supposed to be English, French, German speakers.
The emergency telephone number throughout Europe is 112. All calls go through a switchboard with multi-lingual operators who forward your call to the relevant nearest authorities. All portable telephones can call this emergency number even when their provider link is unavailable. Memorize the numbet 112; using it might save a life.

112 in Spain

The European emergency number 112 is not the only emergency number in Spain.

Alongside 112, the following emergency numbers are available:

• 062 - guardia civil,
  • 091 - police,
  • 061 - health emergencies
  • 080 - fire fighters
  • 092 - local police.
Disabled people can send a fax and an SMS to the national emergency numbers.

112 calls are answered on average within 5 seconds.

In addition to the national language(s), the calls can be answered in English, French, Portuguese, Arabic and German, depending on the call centres.

According to the latest E-communications household and telecom single market survey, 23% of Spanish know they can use 112 everywhere in the EU.

A call can be made to 112 whenever there is cellular service regardless of a phone's carrier (and on pay phones). Dialing more digits may require having a signal from one's own carrier.

Thank you for
Thank you. I am doing the Camino in September and I’m on my own so I really don’t want to walk the whole way looking over my shoulder.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There are many more recent other threads on safety, and particular women's safety, so this old thread will be closed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back