• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Worried about walking alone

HPalola

Time of past OR future Camino
Taking about 12 days for my first Camino walk in July, 2015. Starting in Ponferrada.
Greetings all. I am starting my Camino in early July and have been SO SO excited over the past year planning and thinking and dreaming. A big goal for me on this walk is to have some serious solitary think time, but now with these recent safety warnings , as a woman by myself I'm worried about walking alone. Ugh! Pop! There goes my peace of mind bubble! Does anyone have any thoughts on this to help ease my mind and help me return to being more excited than worried about my trip?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Need for precaution: YES
Cause for alarm: NO

The facts are:
1. A pilgrim has gone missing. There have been no leads about her whereabouts but we do know on what section she disappeared. Any disappearance suggests a worst case scenario, more so when it's a woman.
2. A local, not a pilgrim, managed to escape from an attempted assault/abduction in a town just off the Camino in the same area where the pilgrim disappeared.
3. The Police do not believe the two incidents are related.
4. In the last three years over 600.000 pilgrims have walked the Camino. This has been the only disappearance. That said, one disappearance is one too many and our thoughts go out to her family.

Greetings all. I am starting my Camino in early July and have been SO SO excited over the past year planning and thinking and dreaming. A big goal for me on this walk is to have some serious solitary think time, but now with these recent safety warnings , as a woman by myself I'm worried about walking alone. Ugh! Pop! There goes my peace of mind bubble! Does anyone have any thoughts on this to help ease my mind and help me return to being more excited than worried about my trip?

I'm walking by myself in the beginning of July as well. I have the same thoughts as you do. I'm telling you this so you know you are not alone in how you feel. Reading your post makes me feel better because it lets me know that there is at least one other woman in the same boat. I heard a quote recently that made me feel better. I don't remember the quote verbatim but it was basically, "without scared you won't have a chance to be brave." I liked it because it reminded me that I am brave. That is a quality I love about myself and the quality that gives me the gumption to take a trip like this myself. It will be a once in a lifetime experience that many will never experience out of fear. You are brave. Your peace of mind bubbles pop from time to time but out of the popped bubbles comes the opportunity to remind yourself how brave you are and experience things that others only dream about. Go enjoy your Camino girl! We'll be fine :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I think it's pretty incredible that, due to general local respect for the camino and its pilgrims, almost a quarter of a million people annually are able to reach their destination safely. I often think of the medieval pilgrims, who had very little protection against weather, thieves, illness, or even starvation - but this was all seen as part of the adventure! So yes, be a little more alert than usual, but in my experience 'alertness' and 'peace of mind' are not mutually exclusive! x

There are risks in anything that we do. Anything. Once you accept that, you will realize that the Camino is comparatively safe - certainly safer than walking around in any US city. Traveling alone is certainly less safe and always has been, but it is incredibly easy to hook up with some traveling companions, once you get there, especially on the Camino Frances.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In July, your chances of finding any place to walk ALONE are pretty much nil.
There will be SO many pilgrims on the Camino, you'd have to work to walk alone.

Now that I've said that, 10 people will come out of the woodwork to tell me how they walked alone in July.

But the fact is, the Camino is crazy crowded in July, and if you don't want to EVER walk alone, just follow Brierley's stages, make friends in the albergues, and you'll have all the walking partners you could ever dream of.

Don't let fear take over reason.

Walk in a group.
Don't walk with earphones in your ears.
Be aware of your surroundings.
Don't walk up to strange men in cars.

Have a Buen Camino!

I walked solo in 2013, and of course there were no reports of concern at that point, but remember that all these incidents have taken place between Astorga and Rabanal, one stage, and though we always should be cautious, that one stage is a tiny part of the Camino Frances. Just ask each morning, "Can I walk with you for awhile today? " Everyone (or most) is aware of the recent concerns, and will happily welcome you into their walking group. Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi hi HPalola

I know this sounds contradictory but I spent a lot of time walking with a group of people but at the same time on my own.
We started out in the morning together, walked for say 30 mins as a group and then I tended to drop of the back enough
so that I couldn't hear them talking. Sometimes they were within seeing distance sometimes not. I could then be alone
with my thoughts. This is different from walking on your own. I did that on some stages and did feel a little isolated.

Dropping of the back of a group or pushing on ahead a little could be a good compromise for you. Especially if you take a
decent loud whistle and or personal alarm with you. Having an awareness that people you know and trust are within
shouting/whistling range of you may be all you need to have the confidence to walk by yourself.

I also think that if you make a conscious effort to say hello and get to know as many people as you can in the first few days it's
likely that from then on when you stop in a shop, bar etc you'll recognise someone and will be able to greet them. You then look
like someone who's walking with a group rather than on your own.

Buen Camino

I am hitting the trail in St. Jean on June 11. I much prefer to be alone but from a safety perspective I will just plan to be 'around' other people through the section of concern. That said, I'm quite fine to walk 'alone' with someone else if there was someone else in the same boat.

So glad to read this as I too want to walk the path alone yet was becoming increasingly concerned about safety based on the news in the past few weeks. I was even considering going through an organized tour of some sort or even cancelling. Reading the posts below have reminded me incidents like these happen everywhere in the world. If I remain alert and remember I am smart and strong and take the same precautions I have been for almost 55 years as a woman walking in cities and at night etc - I will be fine. Thank you.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Walking Sunday morning for week to Estella from St Jean, I'm shy by nature and too hope I can fall in with groups. I was in great spirits been optimistic and positive but the Irish newspapers carried reports of the story of Denise just yesterday, feels very fresh again!
Safe Camino to all of us

If you are walking the VdlP it is very lonely. If you are walking the CF you should be absolutely fine. its like a superhighway. buen camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Safe Camino to all of us

@Cailin O Eire, safe, and joyous Camino to you. The British and Irish press have caught up belatedly with their Spanish and USA compatriots. The risks to pilgrims have not changed. Take care, be safe but do not be frightened. You will find many companions to walk with and they will take care of you as you take care of them. You do not need to be a party girl to make friends on the Camino, shy or quiet, optimistic or ( a little bit) worried you are pilgrim and you will be among friends.

Buen Camino

If you can find a section on the CF to be alone during the summer months, you will be lucky. Life has risks. Just arange to walk with others during the section that has the warning. Enjoy.
Buen Camino.
Lua

bubbles are always good to be popped - then one can deal with and experience reality.
no one can provide you peace of mind. that's an inside job. only you can do it/are responsible for this. - in my experience, as a woman walker alone (as i was as well) that I felt more at ease on the camino than when i was walking / going grocery shopping in the middle east or in the states.
keep your common sense switched-on, be alert but not to give into the worry-mode of living life.
as others have mentioned and indicated as well: life has risks - the camino is not a anti-septic stretch of path in a vacuum somewhere.
hope that your worries won't tarnish or dampen your joy of the camino.
very best wishes - buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm not going to re-hash all the previous posts and threads on self protection while walking the Camino. All I can say is don't be scared. You will be surprised how not alone you will be while walking. So many fellow pilgrims.
Enjoy yourself.
cheers

I've been reading this forum for a few weeks. I will be walking from Leon to Santiago de Compostela at the end of June for roughly 14-16 days. I have followed the posts on safety and women walking alone. Up until now, I've been fairly relaxed about the whole walk until the recent posts on the attacks on women. My logic tells me that walking this route at this time of year, it will be fairly full of people but I just wanted inquire if any one had any tips, suggestions etc for walking alone. Or if anyone is starting on June 28th from Leon...that's where I'm heading out! With thanks in anticipation...

I know this may not help but believe me when I say most men & women walking are mad as hell about this situation. I think most will be very protective as you go. Don't let this frighten you. Letting evil creep in has to be stopped.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If
I've been reading this forum for a few weeks. I will be walking from Leon to Santiago de Compostela at the end of June for roughly 14-16 days. I have followed the posts on safety and women walking alone. Up until now, I've been fairly relaxed about the whole walk until the recent posts on the attacks on women. My logic tells me that walking this route at this time of year, it will be fairly full of people but I just wanted inquire if any one had any tips, suggestions etc for walking alone. Or if anyone is starting on June 28th from Leon...that's where I'm heading out! With thanks in anticipation...
if you add your dates to the calendar you might find a walking partner
Safe trip

Hello from Melbourne, Australia!
I had similar thoughts when my son asked me how safe it was to walk alone and in winter to boot!!
I believe, that what will be will be..and IF I come to that bridge, I will deal with it then...

Yes , DONT WALK ALONE ! It's not safe to walk alone . I have experienced an attempted sexual assault 6 th may 2015 while walking Coastal Portugese camino . It was terrifying , a guy jumping out of bushes , dragging me in , trying to rape me . Please , please don't walk alone .

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

I walked the camino Frances alone in September 2012 and 2013. In spite of recent events I still feel the camino is very safe. Even though I was hiking alone, I was never alone. There were always people within sight and I would always walk with fellow pilgrims for awhile then speed up or drop back. Just the right balance of socializing and alone time. I always tried to be aware of my surroundings and carried a whistle. Listen to your intuition. You will find an amazing sense of community on the camino. Please don't let recent events damper your journey. Use common sense but have fun. Keep Denise's family in your prayers.

If

if you add your dates to the calendar you might find a walking partner
Safe trip
Hi! Thanks for the tip...these posts were really reassuring. Where is this calendar? I'm trying to find it and I cannot see if for looking...thanks again... :)

Hi from my recollection what I did was, create a new thread, for example call it starting to walk on .... Before you post the thread somewhere above or below the thread there is an option to add to calendar. I think you have to start a thread to do it. Sorry I'm not more helpful.
Rita

€149,-
Yes , DONT WALK ALONE ! It's not safe to walk alone . I have experienced an attempted sexual assault 6 th may 2015 while walking Coastal Portugese camino . It was terrifying , a guy jumping out of bushes , dragging me in , trying to rape me . Please , please don't walk alone .

Did you report this?

There goes my peace of mind bubble! Does anyone have any thoughts on this to help ease my mind and help me return to being more excited than worried about my trip?
First, don't listen to assurances of safety from men. We don't know anything about it! :) We get to be fearless because we are not subject to harassment or assault except for the "legitimate" robbery.

From the woman advisers, consider the practical advice that balances danger with peace of mind. Most of them have fended off unwanted approaches in bars and albergues, and flashers and assault on the path. I am in the school that thinks there likely is a killer stalking female pilgrims at the moment. This is an unprecedented escalation, and I think it is worthy of changing one's approach to walking alone until there is an arrest. If the law enforcement in the Astorga section is effective, the criminal will find another similar locale to continue. If there are two or more criminals, two women together may not be a deterrent, but it is better than being alone. As the old joke goes, "If we come upon a bear, you cannot outrun it." "If we come upon a bear, all I have to do is outrun you!"

Men still get to walk without fear. Women have lost that right for the moment. As a risk percentage, the danger is small, and you get to determine how you react. I wish it were otherwise (the risk, not the self-determination).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you @falcon269 for that sensible piece of advice. Here is my question, since this is crucial to my strategy. How well connected are the towns on the Camino Frances if I wanted to ride out one of my days? I'm sensibly chicken and if I don't find someone to walk with I won't think twice about taking a bus to the next town till the next day's walk when I will look for people to walk with again. (the need for achievement and meditation pales in comparison to the need to feel safe and happy).
Yeah it sucks but that's the way it rolls.

I'm currently walking the Sarria to Santiago portion - as a solo walker I am very concerned about safety yet am using commen sense & trying to walk close to others when going through the wooded areas - this is easily accomplished since there are many pilgrims on the Camino - I also have stopped wearing my ear buds & considered buying pepper spray ( if it could find it) or even purchasing a small knife to use if need be. So far it has been a wonderful trip (except for the first day when my body hurt all over at the end of the day - LOL) I agree with the others on the post - walk with other pilgrims - all have been incredibly friendly.
Buen Camino
Niefia

I'm currently walking the Sarria to Santiago portion - as a solo walker I am very concerned about safety yet am using commen sense & trying to walk close to others when going through the wooded areas - this is easily accomplished since there are many pilgrims on the Camino - I also have stopped wearing my ear buds & considered buying pepper spray ( if it could find it) or even purchasing a small knife to use if need be. So far it has been a wonderful trip (except for the first day when my body hurt all over at the end of the day - LOL) I agree with the others on the post - walk with other pilgrims - all have been incredibly friendly.
Buen Camino
Niefia
@niefia zupancic : I hope you are able to easily find people to walk with in all areas. I'm going to walk the exact same route, so really anxious. Would be great if you could post pictures. In every picture I see it is always a lonely route and barely a soul around...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
First, don't listen to assurances of safety from men. We don't know anything about it! :) We get to be fearless because we are not subject to harassment or assault except for the "legitimate" robbery.

From the woman advisers, consider the practical advice that balances danger with peace of mind. Most of them have fended off unwanted approaches in bars and albergues, and flashers and assault on the path. I am in the school that thinks there likely is a killer stalking female pilgrims at the moment. This is an unprecedented escalation, and I think it is worthy of changing one's approach to walking alone until there is an arrest. If the law enforcement in the Astorga section is effective, the criminal will find another similar locale to continue. If there are two or more criminals, two women together may not be a deterrent, but it is better than being alone. As the old joke goes, "If we come upon a bear, you cannot outrun it." "If we come upon a bear, all I have to do is outrun you!"

Men still get to walk without fear. Women have lost that right for the moment. As a risk percentage, the danger is small, and you get to determine how you react. I wish it were otherwise (the risk, not the self-determination).

I can't tell you how many times I've thought this, and how irritating it is--as a woman--to continually hear the admonishments from men. I'm looking forward to my Camino, but I will be cautious, aware, and prepared.

As a woman who has suffered some harassment over many long years, I will be ready for anything, including bus and taxi fare if I need to transport myself through "no man's land"!

Knowledge is power.

I know you are expressing an opinion, but I would say be a bit careful about it, especially with such strong a statement. As of this time I don't think it has been shown a homicide occurred. Theories and speculation are not facts.
"killer stalking female pilgrims".....easy there, bro

Nowhere in the world is totally safe for a woman alone, sadly. However, my experience is that I was never totally alone when walking - it was rare when I couldn't see other pilgrims in front or behind. I walked in June, and felt comfortable.

Thank you @falcon269 for that sensible piece of advice. Here is my question, since this is crucial to my strategy. How well connected are the towns on the Camino Frances if I wanted to ride out one of my days? I'm sensibly chicken and if I don't find someone to walk with I won't think twice about taking a bus to the next town till the next day's walk when I will look for people to walk with again. (the need for achievement and meditation pales in comparison to the need to feel safe and happy).
Yeah it sucks but that's the way it rolls.

Well-connected. But you will find people to walk with, don't worry.

I'm walking by myself in the beginning of July as well. I have the same thoughts as you do. I'm telling you this so you know you are not alone in how you feel. Reading your post makes me feel better because it lets me know that there is at least one other woman in the same boat. I heard a quote recently that made me feel better. I don't remember the quote verbatim but it was basically, "without scared you won't have a chance to be brave." I liked it because it reminded me that I am brave. That is a quality I love about myself and the quality that gives me the gumption to take a trip like this myself. It will be a once in a lifetime experience that many will never experience out of fear. You are brave. Your peace of mind bubbles pop from time to time but out of the popped bubbles comes the opportunity to remind yourself how brave you are and experience things that others only dream about. Go enjoy your Camino girl! We'll be fine :)
THAT was PERFECT! Thank you! "Without scared you won't have a chance to be brave." That is my new life mantra. :)

bubbles are always good to be popped - then one can deal with and experience reality.
no one can provide you peace of mind. that's an inside job. only you can do it/are responsible for this. - in my experience, as a woman walker alone (as i was as well) that I felt more at ease on the camino than when i was walking / going grocery shopping in the middle east or in the states.
keep your common sense switched-on, be alert but not to give into the worry-mode of living life.
as others have mentioned and indicated as well: life has risks - the camino is not a anti-septic stretch of path in a vacuum somewhere.
hope that your worries won't tarnish or dampen your joy of the camino.
very best wishes - buen camino!
Thank you for those wise words and reminders. I live in the Middle East as well -- even had a mosque bombing yesterday in a nearby town (so sad) -- I should know better than to expect the Camino to be an "antiseptic stretch of path" -- you are so right! I have had it in a glorious virgin love bubble in my mind! HA! It's all good. I'm back to feeling very optimistic about the whole thing. :)

€149,-
H
Thank you for those wise words and reminders. I live in the Middle East as well -- even had a mosque bombing yesterday in a nearby town (so sad) -- I should know better than to expect the Camino to be an "antiseptic stretch of path" -- you are so right! I have had it in a glorious virgin love bubble in my mind! HA! It's all good. I'm back to feeling very optimistic about the whole thing. :)
Happy to read you are filled with enthusiam again. (A fine word coming from greek roots...enthusiasm = filled with god) (or something like that)
Very best wishes... Y buen camino!!

I'm a woman who always walks alone. For me, walking alone is the point. I keep being told how 'brave' it is, though perhaps 'foolish' is the subtext of this. However, despite a couple of unpleasant encounters with flashers, I've never come to any harm.
Yet the possibility of harm is ever present, and the solo walker, male or female, must be aware of this at all times.
Carry a whistle and a fully-charged phone. Use walking poles. Have sufficient water, watch your step, never let your feet become too minced to carry you as fast as possible away from any danger that might present itself at any moment.
There are certain places and situations that feel scarier than others - certain parts of big cities, dark stretches of forest, roadside wastelands, etc. Trust your instincts, stay alert, be watchful. Don't stop for a beer or glass of wine before your walk is finished for the day; it will take the edge off those vital instincts.
Have a strategy in place for being confronted by a mugger (perhaps a stash of money you're prepared to hand over, without surrendering hard-to-replace documents and credit cards).
Also have the wherewithal to clean and wrap a wound (from a fall or other accident) sufficiently well until you reach the next pharmacy.
It's a small triumph if any of us can get to the end of any given day, anywhere, without coming to any harm. We can only avoid the avoidable, and prepare for the unavoidable

The violent crime rate in the Unted States is about 380 violent crimes (murder, forcible rape, assaults resulting in medical treatment) out of every 100,000 people. In the last two years, over 500,000 pilgrims have walked the Camino and only two violent crimes have been reported. So if you are concerned about your personal safety, the question should be why haven't you moved to Spain and opened an albergue?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have not followed this thread as I am walking and living the Camino, not speculating. I have ski,med through post from people saying they are never alone. That may be the truth of th CF and peak jours but not on other routes, or ay other times.

If you are not comfortable walking on your own, I hate to say it, but perhaps the Camino is not for you. When I think back on the 1 5000km I have done, if fear had been an issue I woulnd have been a mess. Don't do this tomyoursef and stay home.

Last edited by a moderator:
All or nothing? No compromise technique, such as being appropriately cautious? Go fearlessly or don't go? :)
How many times have we been saying use common sense and be vigilent, but these posts keep comming up. If they do, it's because that message is not getting through, so yes, stay home, and hope no one shoots at you onthe way to Walmart.

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
All or nothing? No compromise technique, such as being appropriately cautious? Go fearlessly or don't go? :)
In my opinion there is a world of difference in being appropriately cautious and in being fearful. I like to think that I am appropriately cautious in all my endeavors, but if I feel afraid, I do not participate.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
There are situations when I am backpacking alone in the mountains in which I am afraid. This is a very useful survival mechanism. Last fall, I decided not to attempt to cross an outlet into a lake, because it looked deeper than I was expecting and I was afraid. A couple of years ago, I chose to continue my trek although there was a grizzly bear in my path, rather than abandon the route and the trek. But I was afraid. The difference for me, in facing flashers and possible assault on the camino, is disgust. I may be cautious, I may be afraid at times, but not in the same way as I am when facing natural dangers. I find it discouraging to possibly have to face, when on pilgrimage, situations where my bodily integrity is threatened by sexually inadequate males. I think that I need to incorporate these feelings - fear, excessive alertness, disgust, into my prayers for the world and for the safety of all pilgrims. We are not in heaven yet.

I can't express how sad this discussion makes me feel. I have walked the Camino four times, most recently the VdlP from Salamanca in March where I never saw another pilgrim during the day until my last three days into Santiago. I was alone in the albergues for 16 nights out of 21 days. I loved the solitude as I have on my other off-season walks. I felt completely safe and was amazed at how helpful and kind all of the locals were. I am glad I didn't read any of these posts on my last Camino or I think I wouldn't have been in such a meditative state during my walk. It is hard not to acknowledge the very real fear in many of these posts, but I also feel it may be somewhat out of proportion to the actual threat.

One thing I took away from my last Camino was staying in the moment...we can't control the future. Fear of what could happen takes away our ability to enjoy and experience what we are actually doing and living at any given time. So I hope that all of the women will take the advise of the previous posters here and take precautions but let the fear go. Don't start your Camino in fear...start it in faith. I for one will walk the Camino again and alone (but I will probably add a whistle to my packing list).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I can't express how sad this discussion makes me feel. I have walked the Camino four times, most recently the VdlP from Salamanca in March where I never saw another pilgrim during the day until my last three days into Santiago. I was alone in the albergues for 16 nights out of 21 days. I loved the solitude as I have on my other off-season walks. I felt completely safe and was amazed at how helpful and kind all of the locals were. I am glad I didn't read any of these posts on my last Camino or I think I wouldn't have been in such a meditative state during my walk. It is hard not to acknowledge the very real fear in many of these posts, but I also feel it may be somewhat out of proportion to the actual threat.

One thing I took away from my last Camino was staying in the moment...we can't control the future. Fear of what could happen takes away our ability to enjoy and experience what we are actually doing and living at any given time. So I hope that all of the women will take the advise of the previous posters here and take precautions but let the fear go. Don't start your Camino in fear...start it in faith. I for one will walk the Camino again and alone (but I will probably add a whistle to my packing list).
Amen to that!

Amen to that!
Sad indeed. What started as reaching out for a little reassurance culminated in a post saying stay home and hope you don't get shot on the way to Walmart :( That seems like an extreme response and I shall let that one go. I have been reminded that the world is what it is -- in light and dark -- and I will take it all in, by myself, walking my Camino with joy and an open heart. I may be nervous at times, I may be strong at times, I may be mostly in between. I'll take it all as it comes. Can't wait!

I wish you well.
Follow your heart. The Camino is calling.
Enjoy your journey and Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sad indeed. What started as reaching out for a little reassurance culminated in a post saying stay home and hope you don't get shot on the way to Walmart :( That seems like an extreme response and I shall let that one go. I have been reminded that the world is what it is -- in light and dark -- and I will take it all in, by myself, walking my Camino with joy and an open heart. I may be nervous at times, I may be strong at times, I may be mostly in between. I'll take it all as it comes. Can't wait!
Yes! Follow your heart! Walk the Camino!

According to this, the leading cause of death on the Camino is being hit by a car. (followed by hearth attack I believe).

I am not trying to dismiss the seriousness of the risks assumed by a solo walker who could be harmed by an attacker, but if you are concerned with your safety, facts suggest that you may want to walk against incoming traffic.

A thread on self defence might be useful. Somewhere in this post we can find excellent suggestions. Safety in numbers, whistle, phone.

Others are commonplace in some jurisdictions (mace, pepper spray) and legal in Spain

Others are plain dangerous like the suggestion of carrying a knife, why not a gun. A trained person can kill with bare hands. I don't know what a frightened pilgrim will achieve with such weapons.

Last edited:
Walking Sunday morning for week to Estella from St Jean, I'm shy by nature and too hope I can fall in with groups. I was in great spirits been optimistic and positive but the Irish newspapers carried reports of the story of Denise just yesterday, feels very fresh again!
Safe Camino to all of us
There is no need to worry about being alone. I was solo now I am 5, since Day 1. You get a camino family. I am very happy to be hear in Zubiri right now. If you want to do the Camino, do the Camino and you will have no issue meeting others to walk with.
From a weary pilgrim in Zubiri!!
Rita

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
How many times have we been saying use common sense and be vigilent, but these posts keep comming up. If they do, it's because that message is not getting through, so yes, stay home, and hope no one shoots at you onthe way to Walmart.
+1

I say this not in admonishment of the OP, whose tone is reasonable. But just as a reiteration that walking the Camino alone is far, far, far safer than a zillion things you could think of doing in a group most anywhere else in the world.

QUOTE="waveprof, post: 310561, member: 23444"]+1

I say this not in admonishment of the OP, whose tone is reasonable. But just as a reiteration that walking the Camino alone is far, far, far safer than a zillion things you could think of doing in a group most anywhere else in the world.[/QUOTE]

Yes! Statistically speaking the drive to the airport to catch a plane to Spain is tens of thousands of times more dangerous than walking the Camino. Yet people won't think twice about the drive to the airport while worrying about the Camino itself. Life is a risk. You can live it hiding in your closet with curtains closed or you can live your life. If the question is, "statistically speaking, what is the safest vacation I can experience? then the answer is walk the Camino.

walking the Camino alone is far, far, far safer than a zillion things you could think of doing in a group most anywhere else in the world.
For a male.

I really have no dog in this hunt. I feel perfectly safe. An abductor/murderer could be lurking around the next corner, and I would not be worried, whether in a group or not. It is just not a problem for me. :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For a male.

I really have no dog in this hunt. I feel perfectly safe. An abductor/murderer could be lurking around the next corner, and I would not be worried, whether in a group or not. It is just not a problem for me. :)
Actually no, for a female too. Though the camino, like all things in life, is certainly more dangerous for a female than a male, it is still very safe for a solo woman to do. Statistically speaking, it is one of the safest things a woman can do. As my husband (whose account this is) has said before, he'd rather his daughter walk the camino alone than go down the streets of most U.S. cities with friends. And for what little it's worth (and it shouldn't matter) this is actually waveprof's wife writing this post, so I'm speaking as a woman. But that shouldn't matter at all. Many (too many) men aren't aware of the increase of dangers to women, they are oblivious to it, but gendering whose advice you should listen to based on blanket assumptions isn't helpful either. Meanwhile, some women seem guilty of the same obliviousness. Violence towards women isn't a women's problem, it is a human our problem. So don't limit where you choose to seek insight on the topic based solely on gender.

Last edited:
There is a bit of scaremongering going on, which strikes an odd note. The message should not be 'Women: stay at home, it's not safe for you Out There'. The type of incident being discussed more and more on this message board (due to the recent turn of events) might be news to some men, but to most women it is relatively commonplace (though that's not to trivialise its impact). It should not be exploited as a reason to tell women they are being stalked by killers, to scare them into hiding away. A middle-aged man from a wealthy country, carrying an expensive pack and phone, is just as vulnerable a target on those lonely stretches, or those city streets. And yet most get through without being attacked; let's be cautious, but not hysterical. Buen Camino.

Hi HPalola,
I have just returned home from walking the same route, and I was scared also before I left - in fact I cried for three days beforehand! I wanted to go, but I was scared to go. My fears were not necessarily of being a female alone, but of travelling alone and being lonely, and being challenged etc etc.
I was mostly solitary on the walk, but that's what I wanted and I loved it! In fact, now I'm home I just really want to go again and do the entire route - and may do.
My own fears were more about breaking the mould, breaking out of my everyday world which was familiar, but was also killing me! The fear of not breaking the mould was greater than the fear of breaking the mould, and so I went - and so glad I did!
I don't know why it was said that if you have fear you should stay home, I think fear is kind of normal before you take a leap of faith, at least for most of us.
It's a beautiful walk. I got reminded of my deep love of nature, and even got to love walking in the rain every day! I didn't meet a hundred friends like many do, but I did meet a couple of soulmates - very familiar and similar to me. Something I didn't think I'd find!
We are all aware the bad things can happen anywhere and at any time, but I never felt the threat of those kind of bad things on the walk. The fears I felt were my own fears that I really wanted to conquer - social fears, insecurity fears, fears of facing my own internal self without the outside banter.
You won't regert it. I wish you a wonderful journey!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi HPalola,
I have just returned home from walking the same route, and I was scared also before I left - in fact I cried for three days beforehand! I wanted to go, but I was scared to go. My fears were not necessarily of being a female alone, but of travelling alone and being lonely, and being challenged etc etc.
I was mostly solitary on the walk, but that's what I wanted and I loved it! In fact, now I'm home I just really want to go again and do the entire route - and may do.
My own fears were more about breaking the mould, breaking out of my everyday world which was familiar, but was also killing me! The fear of not breaking the mould was greater than the fear of breaking the mould, and so I went - and so glad I did!
I don't know why it was said that if you have fear you should stay home, I think fear is kind of normal before you take a leap of faith, at least for most of us.
It's a beautiful walk. I got reminded of my deep love of nature, and even got to love walking in the rain every day! I didn't meet a hundred friends like many do, but I did meet a couple of soulmates - very familiar and similar to me. Something I didn't think I'd find!
We are all aware the bad things can happen anywhere and at any time, but I never felt the threat of those kind of bad things on the walk. The fears I felt were my own fears that I really wanted to conquer - social fears, insecurity fears, fears of facing my own internal self without the outside banter.
You won't regert it. I wish you a wonderful journey!!
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am sure it will help many of the women that have been concerned about going solo on the Camino. I know exactly what you mean about facing your own fears. The Camino is such an amazing and unique experience. It is sad that many of these posts are reinforcing unnecessary fears. We need more posts like yours...thank you!

HPaola, Inwas not trying to discourage about doing the Camino, far from it, but if you are going to be scared and this will make you anxious and myserable, because who am I to say "walk and you'll get over it". I do not beleive this is for everybody and do not think everybody will love it, even if I do. You are the only person who can determine your level,of comfort with what the Camino is, realising how safe it has bern and still is, as most oof us keep saying while taking into account your own limits. I for one feel safer in the mountains here than in a gas station in Michigan in the evening, but I skso know anything can happen to me in these glorious mountains as well, from falling dowm a ravine to being ambushed for my bank card or passport, but I can accept that. Perhaps you can as well, perhaps you cannot. Only you can decide.

Thank you for this post. Although, I am walking in a group I am the slowest and will always be behind. This has given me the courage that I need.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've walked each Camino with herself. We are never to far apart and actually spend most of each day in our own solitude with our minds elsewhere. Besides Rosary and in Prayer and there was plenty of "solitary time". If you are concerned then tie up with other walker's, you find your peace of mind bubbles.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back